AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-04-24, 20:49   Link #81
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

My top 3 are MSG, SEED and G in that order. Then Destiny.
Old 2006-04-24, 21:36   Link #82
4Tran

My two cents:

My favorites:
1. Victory - Lots of great moments and lots of bizzare/goofy moments. Easily the most enjoyment I had watching Gundam.
2. Turn A - Superb setting and good character interaction. The ending was a little weak, but it doesn't really detract from the whole.
3. Seed - Plenty of compelling drama marred by some bad writing. I found the characters very appealing.
4. Destiny - Flawed; but it still presented the most interesting ideas in Gundam. It made me think the most, and I like that.

Enjoyable:
5. Mobile Suit Gundam - A solid show; it has one of the best depictions of war in Gundam.
6. Gundam X - I liked the characters, but it doesn't really live up to its setting.
7. Zeta Gundam - A pretty decent show, but it's sort of dragged down by the ending and some of the directorial choices.
8. Gundam Wing - I thought that it was pretty bad, but I still liked it.

Not enjoyable:
9. ZZ Gundam - I didn't mind the beginning, but I hated the ending.
10. G Gundam - A pretty good show, but none of the characters worked for me.

I might as well add the shorter works:
1. 08th MS Team - Good atmosphere overall. The Shattering Mountain episodes were also some of the best episodes in Gundam. I even liked the last episode.
2. 0080 - A very interesting character piece. I especially liked the portrayal of the kids' reactions to the war.
3. Endless Waltz - Better than Wing. Dorothy and her eyebrows make the movie version better than the OVAs.
4. 0083 - Lots of eyecandy, but I don't think it has as much substance as it could have had. Nina Purpleton is my least favorite Gundam character.
5. Char's Counterattack - I didn't buy the ending at all.
Old 2006-04-24, 22:53   Link #83
Fafnir
I believe I can fly!

Oh, about MGs and turn A, it would be mostly impossible, considering that the Turn A is hollow.

...Just saying...

Also, even though you don't have action scenes coming out the wazoo, the ones you do get are incredible(the first fight using a beam saber against a WaDom=incredibleness), and are incredibly well choriographed with almost no reused animation(ZOMG!)
Fafnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 01:34   Link #84
yami_GirL

Send a message via MSN to yami_GirL
hi... new member here..

well... i 'd say that i like seed and destiny... and wing too...
yami_GirL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 05:42   Link #85
dom33
Pat:TAISAAAAA!

my favorite is zeta gundam,it's genuine gundam.
WhiteWings:To this day I don't know what the insanity behind the decision to release the first GSD ending. My God that was without a doubt the worst ending I had ever seen in my life in a anime series.
Blizzer: He already has special powers called super pheromone powers which makes him irresistable to Sekirei's in heat.
dom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 06:15   Link #86
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

The great thing about turn A is that the story flows, the fight scenes are unique and yes theres not a single reused scene in the whole show, which is a problem for alot of mecha anime out there.

The fight scenes are just that great, i cant remember how many times i rewatched episode 7's gundam hammer scene. Then you had turn A using a knife hand to dispatch wadom's hand and then performed with such agility to catch the hand which held someone hostage. In another wadom fight loran did a judo style over shoulder toss with the turn A, seeing a 20 metre ms tossing a 40 metre giant was incredible. Everytime harry and his gold sumo appears, we would be in awe with his piloting skills. The turn A vs turn A battles are some the most intense scenes ive ever seen in the gundam universe.

In every episode, loran will show us something new that we never thought the turn A was capable of. Be it the hand washing machine, the hand launched bombs or his dynamic sword techniques, it never fails to amuse and amaze us.
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 08:33   Link #87
yamikage

Now let me share mine (not really in any particular order except for no. 1):

1. MSG - I agree with 4Tran; it has one of the best depictions of war in Gundam. It's a great anime that was too advanced for its time. Sure it has its share of inconsistencies, but it's expected and forgivable since it is the first anime of the real robot genre. I thouroughly enjoyed this one.

2. Z Gundam - I found that Kamille's development throughout the series drew me to this show. Then I saw the Kamille's fate at the "end". Tragic. I also found myself rooting for Jerid at times and I felt sad when he wasn't able to match Kamille's prowess near the end. It also has Zeta Gundam, which is along with Wing Zero Custom, my favorite mecha design of all time, and Mizu no Hoshi e Ai wo Komete, which is the best Gundam song I have ever heard.

3. Turn A Gundam - I found that the mecha designs are actually sieves the fans who watch this show. If you can get past the bizaare mecha, you'll find an awesome series that can actually stand alone without Gundam in its title. Loran is the antithesis to typical Gundam protagonist. Apart from that, he is a likeable and an interesting character. The ending felt sad (to me) though.

4. Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz - I know that I'm gonna get raped. Let me just share a quote from a certain AmuroNT1 from Gamefaqs, which perfectly reflects how I felt with this series:
Quote:
But compared to other series, Wing is pretty refreshing. Only the fanbase ruins it.

If I may reproduce a rant I made on another board...

"There are some fans who don't want to look at depth. This isn't just fangirls. Think about all the "old-skool" Gundam fans who hate on Wing for having what they consider shallow, two-dimensional characters (even though their real hate is because it's different). Even outside those two groups, there are people who do like the series, but can't see past the stereotypes. And so we get people who insist that Heero is emotionless despite the fact that we see him laughing, shivering in fear, and acting very tender during the show's span. We get people who think Wu Fei is a chauvanistic ass, ignoring the fact that he grows out of it (and has a semi-legit reason for being so). We get people who think Duo is permanently goofy and shallow, despite the depth we know he has.

"And this is all very sad, because Wing is, for better or for worse, a Gundam series. Some people (like the bad authors mentioned above) may not like the fact that the series takes place in a world with Mobile Suits and politics, but that's the entire point. Gundam Wing is a modern, more optimistic look at the traditional formula that made Amuro Ray and Char Aznable household names. At its core is the director's message that humanity's flaws can be redeemed by the children, and that the one thing needed to better the world is just communication (pun intended) between all people. You simply cannot divorce the characters from this context without damaging them. Without the AC world, the characters we all love would not be who they are. War is the reason Relena, Duo and Trowa are homeless. Revenge is the reason Heero lost the closest thing he ever had to a father. Pride is the reason Wu Fei struggles so hard to change the world. If you remove these elements by way of removing the Mobile Suits and the conflict, then you are not dealing with the Gundam Wing characters anymore; you're dealing with pale, shallow simulacra who bear only the looks of their namesakes.

"And unfortunately, that's the way some people want it. They don't care for the setting, or the politics, or even some aspects of the character's personalities. All they like are "teh hawt bishies". So they rip the guys' looks out of the world and force them into new worlds and new personalities, just to suit their immature sexual fantasies that would probably make the staff sad or disgusted to see their creations mistreated so. And you know what the sad thing is? People out there consider THAT kind of person to be representative of Gundam Wing fandom as a whole. They ignore the existence of people like ourselves who are able to analyze the characters and the setting and the subtle political maneuvering, and focus solely on the people who make us all look like a joke. That, my friend, is the reason Gundam Wing gets practically no respect in America."
Honorable Mentions:
G Gundam - The first and most bizaare AU series. Master Asia and Schwarz Bruder = AWESOMENESS. Hotbloodedness FTW.

Gundam SEED - Kira pre-Freedom is badass. Mu La Fllaga is an awesome character. I still believe that Neo is a product of a conspiracy by aliens living under the Earth, which actually controls Blue Cosmos.

Gundam X - Supposedly great series, totally ruined by local station dub. What the hell are Newtypes again? And I have never heard Garrod confess how religious he is.
yamikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 01:01   Link #88
<--HiMeKo-->

For me i like SEED and Destiny^^
<--HiMeKo--> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 10:00   Link #89
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
Wing was my first Gundam, followed by G Gundam, then X. SEED and SEED Destiny are my latest additions. I still have to watch Turn A...T_T and all the old series...T_T too bad we don't have cable here anymore...

Anyway, my favorite would have to be Gundam Wing. My innocent preteen years would have to be forgiven if I thought the Wing Boys were cool back then, because they have robots and they all look gorgeous (spank the foaming-at-the-mouth fangirl inside me!). And because it was these bishies that introduced me to Gundam in the first place.And made me realize things about pacifism at such a young age. XD

I never realized people took my poor Duo so shallowly...;_;

But what really drew me to robots in particular didn't have anything to do with Gundam, though. It was Evangelion that drew me in. :X Gundam X would be the next in line.

Least favorites? Hmm, G Gundam was OK but the end really ruined it all for me. SEED was good pre-Freedom. Destiny just made it worse.

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 11:06   Link #90
Knightmare213

Quote:
Originally Posted by yami_GirL
hi... new member here..

well... i 'd say that i like seed and destiny... and wing too...
Welcome to the Forum. Beware of the flamers, though. (not that I'm stating names...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper
But what really drew me to robots in particular didn't have anything to do with Gundam, though. It was Evangelion that drew me in.
My first Gundam series was Wings too. My favourite was Destiny but became my least favorite after the 13th episode. However, Wing really didn't drew me in to the anime and fanfiction writing until I finished watching Evangelion on my 14th birthday (purely conincidential that I had), which was also the second mecha anime series I've watched.

Seriously, Evangelion still stands out as one of the greatest anime series in the world. It's amazing how Hideaki Anno was inspired by the original Gundam series to create Evangelion.
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 15:13   Link #91
Homeschooler_Jenni
Rar.

Quote:
But what really drew me to robots in particular didn't have anything to do with Gundam, though. It was Evangelion that drew me in.

welcome to the forum ^_^
Homeschooler_Jenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 09:34   Link #92
yamikage

Quote:
Seriously, Evangelion still stands out as one of the greatest anime series in the world. It's amazing how Hideaki Anno was inspired by the original Gundam series to create Evangelion.
Really? I thought Ideon was the inspiration for Eva, especially at the end. But then again, I could be wrong.

I feel sorry for both Eva and Wing. They mostly get bashed because it's "cool" to bash them.

It's funny to note that Zeta Gundam and Evangelion were both products of depression of their respective creators. But I'm going OT now...

@yami_GirL: Welcome to the forum! And, uhh... don't just lurk. Like me...
yamikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 16:23   Link #93
flamingtroll

I think Anno mentioned himself in and interview somewhere that he was a gundam fan, althought I dont' remember if he was referring to Evangelion directly. Since gundam was such an iconic and influential series, I think most animators today are influenced if not a fan of gundam when they were young.

When was it cool to "bash" eva? It was considered by many quite a revolutinary anime in the 90s. GW 's fame can't even begin to compare with eva.
flamingtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 16:44   Link #94
Usso Evin
Angsty little kid

Send a message via AIM to Usso Evin Send a message via MSN to Usso Evin Send a message via Yahoo to Usso Evin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare213
...I'm not even gonna reply to that. Have you SEEN Space Runaway Ideon? You do know that Tomino hates Anno's very existance, right?

Anyway, my favorites are Turn A, Victory, and Zeta, in that order.
Usso Evin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 17:06   Link #95
Anavel
*Graphic Designer

For me its:

1. MSG
2. Gundam 0083
3. 8th MS Team
4. Zeta
5. Gundam 0080
6. SEED
7. DESTINY
8. Gundam Wing
Anavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 17:29   Link #96
Knightmare213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usso Evin
...I'm not even gonna reply to that. Have you SEEN Space Runaway Ideon? You do know that Tomino hates Anno's very existance, right?
No, but I know how it ends.

Spoiler:

And how come Tomino-sama hates Anno? I mean, why would he hate his very existence?

@flamingtroll: I heard that the EVA franchise is still strong, despite the fact that the show was aired ten years ago.

@yamikage: Strange, ain't it? Maybe I should get shot down by a girl very harshly and get depressed (again) to write a kick-ass novel.
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 21:22   Link #97
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamikage
Really? I thought Ideon was the inspiration for Eva, especially at the end. But then again, I could be wrong.
Definitely a mixture of both. There are a few scenes in Eva that are almost eerily similar to scenes in Mobile Suit Gundam, and its not hard to notice them if you're looking. You'd probably not see the similarities unless you were looking though... except one scene.

In any case, it's a minor influence, but still an influence.

Quote:
I never realized people took my poor Duo so shallowly...;_;
Duo is one of only two Gundam Wing characters I actually like. Well, two and a half, really. What I mean to say is that in so far as Wing is disliked by many Gundam fans, Duo and the Deathscythe are largely exempt from that hatred. In my experience.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 22:25   Link #98
Akarix
::Untouched Feelings::

Ouh yea...

1st: Gundam Seed Destiny: Though some people starts to hate this series after some time watching it is a very nice and dramatic show loove it lots...

2nd: Gundam Seed: Nice story just made me wanna watch it more again...

::To be what you were truly meant to be::
Akarix's creation : 2
Akarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 22:36   Link #99
Raven-X
Anime Lover!

Send a message via MSN to Raven-X Send a message via Yahoo to Raven-X
Gundam Wing without a doubt, the action in wing kills that of Seed and G Gundam imo. I love the characters in GW!
Raven-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 01:24   Link #100
kiramuro

I just started getting into the whole gundam universe. So far I have completed both Seed and Destiny. I am currently watching 0079. Obvious due to my limited viewing experience I can't really say which one is my favorite yet. I like Seed a lot so I guess that is my favorite at the moment although i did found a lot of the battles on Earth really assinine especially the usage of naval ships firing at each other at close range. Not that I care about future warfare realism that much as long as the action and the plotline is decent. BTW does the Archangel or Minerva have some sort of anti-graviton technology? They seem to able to float above the water without any obvious sign of a thrust being produced downwards.
kiramuro is offline   Reply With Quote