AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-07-15, 19:54   Link #1
tokyowalker

Your Gundam touches...

So I'm curious, what would everyone add to a new Gundam series. I don't mean as in a sequal series involving already established characters or what ever, but an actual semi-original Gundam idea, sure it can take place in one of the established timelines, but I'm looking for new characters and moble suits. (An example of what I'm asking would be something like Last Outpost/G-Unit or something similar to it)

I would like to see a Gundam series that does not incorperate Newtypes, Coordinators, the Zero System or things of that nature and possibly have a female lead character similarly in the vein of Christie McKenzie in War in the Pocket.

Original ideas for mobile suits would also be interesting, I dreamed up several a while back and found out that all but two ideas had already been used earlier on. Those ideas being an Electromagnetic Pulse cannon that would fry the electronics of a local area while not harming the people around it and conversly a Sonic Blaster that would cause pilots brains to fry while leaving all nonliving matter intact.
tokyowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-15, 20:18   Link #2
monster

I would, not add, but take out people under 13 years of age from the main character list, (...under 15 would be more ideal, or even under 18 but that would be straying too far from the norm, although that might not be such a bad idea...) especially if the series is set in UC. The only exception would be if the kid is the lead character, like in War in the Pocket.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-15, 20:26   Link #3
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

I would like it to follow from a grunt's perspective and never actually control a Gundam, only follow in it's shadow or maybe fight along side it, but never actually having it be the main star of the series.

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-15, 21:54   Link #4
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
Take it a bit more on the fantasy side and have Gundams fighting aliens/monsters instead of other humans, like in Voltes V or something. The classic save the world plot, but modernized.

Or perhaps something more to add to the usual Earth-bound Vs Space Colony war setting, an added third faction consisted of machines (e.g androids, cyborgs, etc.) who also pilot mobile suits, etc. etc.
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-15, 22:02   Link #5
monster

LOL, I would love to see a gundam version of a Star Trek series spanning 5-7 seasons.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-15, 22:56   Link #6
Knightmare213

What I would love to see is a Battlestar Galactica-style series. That's including all of the action, angst, great story, and yes, lots of shadowed R-rated stuff.
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-15, 23:58   Link #7
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Well, I'm in the middle of typing up a Gundam fanfic...(obviously, it clashes with storylines of other series' since I wanted to put in my own character and such =P)...but, not to give too much away, he actually uses a heavily modified Gouf Custom for space =) (stronger and faster than the typical model as well)...still working out the bugs, though before I continue.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 00:34   Link #8
Scorch

If I could do anything at all with Gundam, I'd get In Vain Doth Valeur Bleed animated.

Barring that, I'd like to see more Gundam series with older characters, less angst, and more moral ambiguity. Having the buildup to and early days of the One Year War animated would be awesome (In more depth than Igloo), although there wouldn't be any Gundams in it since they didn't exist at the time.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 00:50   Link #9
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

If anything at all, I'd want to see the villians with strong highlight.

Villians who aren't evil, have their own methods and agendas for a better future, are truly trusted and respected by their subordinates and faces his own personal demons as he continues in bid to fight the good guys.

Technically, I want to erase every single hint of black and white in a Gundam series. Not a single drop and pour every paint of gray available. In the end, the protagonist are no better or worse than the antagonist, and vice versa.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 00:55   Link #10
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Villians who aren't evil, have their own methods and agendas for a better future, are truly trusted and respected by their subordinates and faces his own personal demons as he continues in bid to fight the good guys.
That's who Char was pretty much (in Mobile Suit Gundam anyways), lol. Basically the "villain" of the series who wants to bring Zeon's ideals to pass, but also (or later on anyways) has to deal with facing Sayla and, in Zeta/Char's Counterattack at least, deal with the loss of Lalah and such.

Of course, he doesn't STAY that way, obviously, lol.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 01:03   Link #11
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera
That's who Char was pretty much (in Mobile Suit Gundam anyways), lol. Basically the "villain" of the series who wants to bring Zeon's ideals to pass, but also (or later on anyways) has to deal with facing Sayla and, in Zeta/Char's Counterattack at least, deal with the loss of Lalah and such.

Of course, he doesn't STAY that way, obviously, lol.
Char is not good enough of my ideal villian.

My ideal one is....Hadlar of Dai no Daibouken + Johan of Monster + Raouh of Hokuto no Ken + Renji of Pyshometrer Eiji + Boss of MGS + Char Aznable + Master Asia

In a way, my ideal villain is the kind of villian who fights for his own selfishness of doing something right in a way that not everyone might accept even if it is the only way it could be done, but does it anyway because it's his own form of selfishness and does not hide behind sugar-coated words.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 07:55   Link #12
grandmaster192
Zechs, pilot of Tallgeese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Char is not good enough of my ideal villian.

My ideal one is....Hadlar of Dai no Daibouken + Johan of Monster + Raouh of Hokuto no Ken + Renji of Pyshometrer Eiji + Boss of MGS + Char Aznable + Master Asia

In a way, my ideal villain is the kind of villian who fights for his own selfishness of doing something right in a way that not everyone might accept even if it is the only way it could be done, but does it anyway because it's his own form of selfishness and does not hide behind sugar-coated words.
Sounds like Zechs when I got the Epyon. If Zechs is the type of charcter you want then I agree with ya.

EDIT: "When I got the Epyon." lol When Zechs got the Epyon.

Last edited by grandmaster192; 2006-07-16 at 11:31.
grandmaster192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 09:38   Link #13
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

I want Gundams facing off against aliens like Shivans with their powerful shielding technology.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 11:27   Link #14
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
A Mary Sue villain. LOL! or maybe a Tsubasa Chronicle Reservoir style of utter weirdness with all the universes involved...with major role switches.

Seriously, I think it's high time Gundam has a female for a main character. And get a harem of her own LOL. This female should be a merc, a mechanic, eats Pocky like there's no tomorrow, have a killer wardrobe, have a sentient mechanical pet or pets, drink alcoholic beverages like a fish, and not afraid to go against an enemy soldier wielding a 500 mile long beam saber. Her main love interest is the person she was hired to kill. Utter romantic hijink CHAOS! oh, and the main character cannot see.

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 11:44   Link #15
grandmaster192
Zechs, pilot of Tallgeese

I'm against having a girl main character. I think it would make the show more story based then action based. I want to see a normal main character and I want him to have a rival with a badass red gundam.
grandmaster192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 13:06   Link #16
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Greatness
I'm against having a girl main character. I think it would make the show more story based then action based. I want to see a normal main character and I want him to have a rival with a badass red gundam.
Just because the main character's a girl, the story doesn't have to immediately become story driven. And I like story driven rather than the pure action. Some of the best Gundam series were story driven like 0080 for example.

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 19:48   Link #17
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
A little off topic but you know what would be really cheesy and cheap, if Fukuda introduced a suit that's just directly called a 'Gundam SEED' and it belonged to Kira.
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 19:57   Link #18
fizzmaister
The Tall One

and out of irony it looks like a ball, but is the best gundam so far.
Old 2006-07-16, 20:32   Link #19
Knightmare213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevurah
Just because the main character's a girl, the story doesn't have to immediately become story driven. And I like story driven rather than the pure action. Some of the best Gundam series were story driven like 0080 for example.
I completely agree with you and with Eidolon Sniper. Just because you have a female protagonist, that doesn't mean that you'll have one that has the capablity of giving fan service 70% of the time nor be emotional every time.

There are great female characters out there, and if there is a script writer that can write a story that will have a female protagonist with a great balance between a story and action driven plot.

Now with that out of the way, how about a femme fatale-styled female protagonist?
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 20:49   Link #20
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
I can't think of anything that I'd like to see that hasn't already been done in the Gundam franchise. Nothing that doesn't entirely break the concept of what Gundam is, anyway. The only things I'd want to see are entirely the domain of fanfic...

I've often had some fun ideas concerning a blend of Gundam with traditional element from other anime in the mecha genre. I don't mean a crossover, but instead the kind of story that looks at the concept of Gundam through a distorting mirror. For example, it's often been said that G Gundam is a blend of elements from Gundam and traditional super robot anime. I can see a lot more things that could be done in a similar vein, but as I've said, that's the kind of idea that's more likely to work as a fanfic.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote