AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-06-28, 23:58   Link #2681
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal View Post
Still not the same... the NFL is infinitely better, but hey, at least we still have college football coming up.
We can all international teams are in high school. Players around the world could be the next great superstars or HOF in years to come. We'll wait until time reaches that moment.
Highman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 07:34   Link #2682
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Well, Nebraska officially enters the Big 10 today. I'm pretty sure I am in the extreme minority of fans who are against this move.

I HATE NEBRASKA.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 09:47   Link #2683
Highman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Well, Nebraska officially enters the Big 10 today. I'm pretty sure I am in the extreme minority of fans who are against this move.

I HATE NEBRASKA.
Wished your coach was Tom Osborne instead Bo Pellini, would make great coach rivalries between him and Joe Pa.
Old 2011-07-16, 01:22   Link #2684
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Looks like the lockout will be coming to an end some time within the next 24 hours. There were some major breakthroughs in negotiations today. Hopefully this stands true and we can finally get the ball rolling for the 2011/2012 NFL season.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 08:24   Link #2685
Highman

Quote:
Looks like the lockout will be coming to an end some time within the next 24 hours. There were some major breakthroughs in negotiations today. Hopefully this stands true and we can finally get the ball rolling for the 2011/2012 NFL season.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

Would give it till Monday or Tuesday on agree a deal, we can all learn that James Harrison will murder Goodell someday
Old 2011-07-16, 08:58   Link #2686
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Just in time for my training camp security shifts at Gillette! I knew they'd find a way to get it done. Too big of a losing situation for everyone involved to not play.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 10:04   Link #2687
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highman View Post
Wished your coach was Tom Osborne instead Bo Pellini, would make great coach rivalries between him and Joe Pa.
Our coach IS Joe. lol

(But I know what you meant)

I hate Osborne, too, with a passion, so I would not be pleased with that "rivalry" either.

Old 2011-07-16, 10:36   Link #2688
Highman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Our coach IS Joe. lol
Is it his medical staff or grandsons controlling the team

No pun intended

Last edited by Highman; 2011-07-16 at 10:50.
Old 2011-07-16, 20:30   Link #2689
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highman View Post
Is it his medical staff or grandsons controlling the team

No pun intended
Oh, don't worry. I don't mind. I am very disappointed that Joe continues to cling to the team. He has said for a long time that he'll step down when he feels he can no longer coach effectively. Well, clearly he isn't paying attention or is in a state of denial. He and his ludicrous dedication to certain staffers is killing Penn State as a program. We are an also-ran. We can muster a decent team every 3-4 years at best.

Has Joe done lots for this program? Absolutely. Does he deserve a spot atop the highest pedestal of history? Yes, no question. But the time to leave has past, Joe. He needs to be gone yesterday and a new coach (preferably from outside the program, because I don't feel any current staffers save maybe our WR coach or LB coach) can be trusted to run this program after Joe leaves. If we need to sacrifice our WR coach and LB coach to get rid of our two OL coaches, our QB coach, and our OC, that will be a small price to pay.

Joe (and his son, Jay, our QB coach) is killing this program. At Penn State, we preach this haughty "Success with Honor" crap all the time because we haven't been accused (different from not doing) of impropriety with the NCAA ever... well, the "Honor" part may (not definitely) is there, but the "Success" part is absolute bullshit.

It is very depressing to be a Penn State fan the last decade or so, even despite some good seasons (2005, 2008, and 2009 were nice). At the same time, I feel like this may be as good as it gets. I truly fear that once Joe leaves that we'll fall into even deeper trouble. I fear that he alone gives people a reason to care about our program. Anything positive about our program is directly attributable to him. Once he's gone... we're done.

To answer your question, I don't think anyone really controls the program any more. Joe "controls" it by default because no one will do anything to upset the Godfather of Penn State athletics.

Old 2011-07-16, 22:06   Link #2690
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Once the lockout is lifted, all franchises will have a 72 hour period to re-sign their own free agents. After that, free agency will immediately begin.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 18:41   Link #2691
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Oh good, things are finally moving forward in the NFL again.
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 00:11   Link #2692
D2
Go Big Red!

Well, seems like this lockout has us down a bit. How bout we look back on some NFL bloopers to cheer ourselves up *DISCLAIMER*: Actual effectiveness at cheering up may vary.

Old 2011-07-18, 07:13   Link #2693
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Here's a funny spin on the lockout:

Field of Dreams 2: NFL Lockout
Old 2011-07-22, 14:28   Link #2694
Tetra Vaal
Banned

My hands are a bit tied at the moment, so I can't find any articles right now, but the players shot down the proposal.

It's actually starting to look like a strong possibility that the ENTIRE season could be lost. If that happens, I will walk away from the NFL. I really will.
Old 2011-07-22, 15:31   Link #2695
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Didn't shoot it down, they haven't even voted yet.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/67...iscuss-options
Old 2011-07-22, 15:33   Link #2696
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
My hands are a bit tied at the moment, so I can't find any articles right now, but the players shot down the proposal.

It's actually starting to look like a strong possibility that the ENTIRE season could be lost. If that happens, I will walk away from the NFL. I really will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Didn't shot it down, they haven't even voted yet.

Yea, the players actually have to look at the deal - to see if it is a sound deal. Else, they be stuck with it for the next 10 years.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 15:42   Link #2697
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Yea, the players actually have to look at the deal - to see if it is a sound deal. Else, they be stuck with it for the next 10 years.
The owners hoped that they could corner the NFLPA with this whole phony strategy. First they present a deal that only they had agreed to in a context that suggested the players were on board as well. Now if the players balk at accepting a deal they didn't see before yesterday afternoon, somehow it's their fault if the season doesn't start on time? Sorry, but I have a lot more sympathy with the NFLPA who subject their bodies to constant physical damage than with 32 rich owners sitting in their boxes and enjoying the spectacle.

Ten years is a very long time in the entertainment industry these days. Let the players take as long as they need to, and don't put the onus on them alone.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 15:50   Link #2698
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

The owners were caught off guard by the players' general solidarity during this Lockout, me thinks. At the beginning, the owners thought that without Upshaw leading, that the players would turn on one another and break in favor of a lopsided deal. It looked like it was happening early, but the players winning that court decision to end the Lockout, even if it didn't last, appeared to give the players some more camaraderie.

The owners do have fan opinion on their side with this recent manuver, but it would be a stretch to expect the NFLPA to accept a deal they just got in paper last night.
Old 2011-07-22, 16:15   Link #2699
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Didn't shoot it down, they haven't even voted yet.

Yeah, but upon watching some ESPN coverage, the players seem to feel as though they've been backed into a corner. I really don't think that sounds optimistic for the voting from process, but I'll remain skeptic. Hopefully this all gets worked out soon. I'd hate to see any regular season games be lost because of this.
Old 2011-07-22, 22:29   Link #2700
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Games won't be lost. No matter how much the owners have squeezed the players, I've heard multiple reports that players really like the economics of the deal the owners signed off on. It's the small, but still important, issues they're reviewing.

Tags
american football, sports