AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-03-13, 02:03   Link #1681
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

While looking at my photobucket account:

I guess that explains our activities.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 02:15   Link #1682
dreamoflife
SIDE

Send a message via AIM to dreamoflife
I can has secret file nao plz?

Oh, and thanks for the clarification on the BT thing. :3
dreamoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 02:17   Link #1683
CatzCradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinn87 View Post
For once, I'm around for secret content. Sauce plz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
I'm jumping on this train.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Send it to me, too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Send it to me, now!
Quote:
I can has secret file nao plz?

Oh, and thanks for the clarification on the BT thing. :3
Lawl. What is up with you people and secrets?
It's complete SFW, so rather then sending I'll just post it here:

Spoiler for Not really related:

CatzCradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 02:41   Link #1684
shaoron
AQS representative

we go off topic every now and then..
pretty normal if you ask me.

also...
what if the sos-dan was just a plain all girls group...?

Basically we have
Suzumiya Haruhi
Asahina Mikuru
Nagato Yuki
Koizumi Itsuko
and Kyoko

my goodness... this is getting too crazy....
shaoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 02:44   Link #1685
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

shaoron: that is far easier on me to consider drawing stuff for.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 02:51   Link #1686
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I just realised we're hitting a snag here without knowing it.

A lot of what makes "The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Chpt 00" so fun is the blatant fanservice. But what happens with "The Adventures of Mitsuuru Asahina Chpt 00"? I would think even Haruki would think twice about Mitsuuru fanservice, unless he has this thing for appealing to the yaoi fangirls....maybe have Itsuko provide the fanservice?
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 02:55   Link #1687
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I just realised we're hitting a snag here without knowing it.

A lot of what makes "The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Chpt 00" so fun is the blatant fanservice. But what happens with "The Adventures of Mitsuuru Asahina Chpt 00"? I would think even Haruki would think twice about Mitsuuru fanservice, unless he has this thing for appealing to the yaoi fangirls....maybe have Itsuko provide the fanservice?
YES PLEASE.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 02:56   Link #1688
shaoron
AQS representative

@kaisos' response
lol

@ascaloth
we also have to make some sort of mitsuuru fan service (chest exposure!?) so we can rake in them fan gurlz!

but on a serious note...
we basically have to change most if not the entire movie just to fit the gender swap...
and i doubt haruki wouldn't let the chance to film kyonko and itsuko in different costumes...
Old 2008-03-13, 03:05   Link #1689
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
I don't Kyon-chan would let a nutjob like Haruki subject her to stuff such as providing fanservice for the rest of the school to see. However, Itsuko probably wouldn't mind at all, and then maybe Kyon-chan would get jealous...?

And Mitsuru is still a combat butler from the future with a Kamehameha signature move as the "Mitsuru Beam" right?

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 03:22   Link #1690
shaoron
AQS representative

wait.. since misturu is already a trap maid in the club room.... why not...

Mitsuru Asahina is a butler from the future. but since he looked feminine, his superiors asked made him wear the Ultimate Butler Combat Uniform (check link for the hayate reference )

Nagato Yuuki is an alien with powerful super natural powers that can rival the Sai**ns

Koizumi Itsuko is an esper magic girl whose potential is far grater than anything in the world. however, she is unaware of her powers as they lie dormant since birth... (i'd like to add also that in the movie, a staff/spear with a red gem in the middle suddenly pops out as she uses it to blast yuuki back to outer space... yes.. i'm refering to THAT Mahō Shōjo [as in demon cannon girl])
Old 2008-03-13, 03:24   Link #1691
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Something about the original canon has always made me wonder: Haruhi dresses herself and Mikuru up in all sorts of fanservicey outfits, pretty much designed to titillate the male population.

And I have no idea what's in it for her.

I mean, consider that in the beginning, pre-SOS Brigade, she started changing into her gym outfit without caring that guys were around. According to the (possibly unreliable) narrator, she sees guys as nothing more than inanimate objects like "potatoes". This implies that she doesn't care that stripping in public gets the attention of guys, since one may as well try to arouse a rock.

Later, she grabs Mikuru as a "mascot" for being "moe". This implies that she knows what guys want, which indicates a change of mindset since the early days. Plausible.

And then there's the bunnygirl outfits, and the cheerleader outfits, and the maid outfit, and the waitress outfit. All these are designed to catch the attention of guys, while (most) girls will likely be indifferent at best. Now, given that Haruhi has stated quite blatantly several times that she's not interested in any guys, although readers will probably note that she's interested in one guy, I'm not sure why she's bothering with that specific male-oriented fanservice.

It can't be to catch the interest of Kyon, since Haruhi's first choice for cosplay is Mikuru, which would run counter against her jealousy. She's not punishing Mikuru, since she's shown a willingness to wear the outfits herself.

All she's doing is providing fanservice to guys for some unknown reason.

I believe that if we figure out why Haruhi does all of this, then we can have a good stepping point for what Haruki will do with regards to providing fanservice, whether for guys or girls.

EDIT: Also, while I don't mind references to genres and styles and concepts, I will have to vote against any specific references to titles.

In other words, Mitsuru is a combat/battle butler from the future, fine. But he is not Hayate, he will not be Hayate, and he will not go through anything that Hayate does, because blatant references to situations (rather than "that reminds me of" one-off comments) goes against the spirit of the canon.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 03:24   Link #1692
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

@shaoron: Oh yes. This movie is gonna be EPIC.

@dkellis: I believe that trying to get around Haruhi's reasons for doing such things is going to be an epic exercise in futility.

And no random parodies just for the sake of having them?

Old 2008-03-13, 03:42   Link #1693
shaoron
AQS representative

@dkellis
i'm refering to what hayate is wearing on that first picture in the link i gave...
not that he be hayate.

basically what i'm trying to say is...
Mitsuru is a Combat Butler TRAP wearing a maid uniform from the future.
he'll never be hayate! hayate would beat the crap out of a tiger while mitsuru would cower in fear and be tiger chow if yuuki wasn't there

besides, both haruhi and lucky star had "not-so" blatant refernce to pop culture and other animes.... FUMOFUUU!

@rockman
and we NEED to film it.. liek.. NAO!
Old 2008-03-13, 03:45   Link #1694
dreamoflife
SIDE

I actually just reread the first novel, and Kyon says this: "Seems like Haruhi isn't really a born exhibitionist, it's just that she has no idea what effect the sight of her being half naked would have on guys. The reason she dressed herself up in a bunny costume wasn't really to show her sexy body, but rather to attract people's attention."

I see her changing-in-public thing as a sort of "well, I'm not purposely trying to titillate anyone, so no one will care" mindset. Sort of like she thinks it goes "guys really like girls who are adorable/costumed/showing off their bodies" and not "guys really like girls".

*is off topic liek whoa*
Old 2008-03-13, 03:47   Link #1695
shaoron
AQS representative

her changing in the middle of the classroom (or when she starts taking the bunny suit when kyon's still in the room) is as like kyon said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyon in Volume 1 Chapter 1
It was as if, to her, the guys were pumpkins or potato sacks, and she couldn't care less.
Old 2008-03-13, 03:49   Link #1696
dreamoflife
SIDE

Well, she really regards everyone as potatoes, at least at first.

But yeah, that's sort of what I was getting at... like "I don't care, so they won't care, and no one will care" sort of thing. Haruhi's not too great at people. Her thought process seems to be "looking sexy = attention", not "looking sexy = I get guys" like most other girls would expect.
Old 2008-03-13, 03:53   Link #1697
shaoron
AQS representative

yet now she's in control of 1 person, 1 esper, 1 alien, 1 time traveler, 1 cat, and is good friends with 1 lol-fang-tan
Old 2008-03-13, 03:55   Link #1698
Jintor

Jesus Trike, you bastards jumped 15 pages since I was last here! Better get on the backlog. :/
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 03:59   Link #1699
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
@shaoron: Oh yes. This movie is gonna be EPIC.

@dkellis: I believe that trying to get around Haruhi's reasons for doing such things is going to be an epic exercise in futility.

And no random parodies just for the sake of having them?
The reason I brought up Haruhi's reasons is because if we figure that out, then we know what Haruki's reasons will be, and can plan our conversions accordingly.

After all, if he wants to attract guys, he'll concentrate his efforts on Itsuko and Kyonko. If he wants to attract girls, he'll do the same for Mitsuru and himself. (Presumably Yuuki gets left out because he's a horrible actor.)

As for random parodies, I cannot see them fitting in this project without falling flat, unless they are done exceedingly carefully.

The problem is that if you want to parody something, you have to take into account those who will Get It, and those who Do Not Get It. Say, for example, Itsuko gets a red orb in a staff which allows her to shoot huge destructive beams.

Those who Do Not Get It will have the uncomfortable feeling of getting left out. Why a red orb? Why a staff? Why not a blue orb? Why is so much attention being lavished on what seems like random details? This is why I've given up on anything which purports to parody Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: I've never watched it, I'm not likely to enjoy it since descriptions about what it's like fail to interest me, and so I cannot understand why people seem to be excited about what, to me, does not seem to be all that significant of a scene in another work.

Those who Get It will go "ah, Raising Heart from Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha". And then the questions come up: why is this thing here? Is Haruki the sort of person to watch that sort of anime, and remembers them enough to put them in his movie? Does the in-fiction timeframe of this narrative take place around the time of the popularity of MSLN? Does this mean that MSLN exists as a fictional show in the Haruki-verse? All of this, while remembering the original MSLN, remembering the characters and situations therein, and comparing them with the parody.

Now, the way it can be done well is if it doesn't matter what the parody is. This is a lot harder to do in prose than in pictures, since if it's mentioned in the written narrative, then it has to be significant somehow, whereas a more visual medium can insert references simply by how things look. For example, take the Phoenix Wright parody in Lone Island Syndrome's anime version, and try to describe it in a way which flows naturally, but without bringing special attention to the fact that it's a parody.

It's like the difference between making an offhand understated joke that is all the more humourous for being discreetly done, and making a joke that calls attention to itself going "hey, look at me, I'm a funny joke! Everyone laugh at me! Me! Me!" Can it be done? Maybe. But I have never seen it done well, or at least done well enough to satisfy me.

Yes, humour is Serious Business, since there are so many ways it can fail.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 04:00   Link #1700
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaoron View Post
yet now she's in control of 1 person, 1 esper, 1 alien, 1 time traveler, 1 cat, and is good friends with 1 lol-fang-tan
Well we could get into that whole philosophical nonsense again about how it was predetermined, or the data formed around her, or Haruhi willed it to happen, but meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Jesus Trike, you bastards jumped 15 pages since I was last here! Better get on the backlog. :/
15 pages in 23 hours. That's not too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Yes, humour is Serious Business, since there are so many ways it can fail.
That sure doesn't stop us from trying. WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?! (You must watch Gurren Lagann. It will change your life.)

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan