Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-16, 02:50   Link #21
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
I think the novel is ongoing, someone correct me if i am wrong. As far as the animje if the sale is good enough there probably will be a sequel.
Er... Xellos...

Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-12, 04:34   Link #22
aixchel
Shinkumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I'm currently rewatching the show, I'm at episode 8 now.

Why is Kanzaki the captain? He's such a coward, maybe I've seen too much Star Trek?
It was stated in the anime that he was the best candidate for captain because he always looked at all sides of a problem (in his case, he usually looked at the bad side first).

So don't look at him as a captain who should make decisive decisions without hesitation (which can only come with experience). His asset is that he doesn't rush in headfirst as rookies tend to do.
Old 2006-11-12, 04:44   Link #23
aixchel
Shinkumi

Some quick questions that bugged me:

Why did the Conquistador bother with an hour time for the Amateras to surrender? Why not demand an immediate surrender (especially since he knew the Earth ships were already on their way)? It's almost as annoying as the cartoon bad guys who don't just kill the good guy buy do some elaborate set up that allows them to escape.

How dumb would AGI have to be not to figure the Kingdom wasn't respecting neutrality (Shu anyone?) and would do anything to eliminate the Amateras? I can't imagine anyone would be stupid enough to dock the Amateras in that political state.

Wouldn't people have noticed the armored vehicles at the tv station/UN building/etc. and started to wonder what was going on with the Earth Alliance?
Old 2007-04-20, 18:28   Link #24
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Just finished the thing... and i have to say it was a pretty interesting piece of work. Spaceship battles is something i have always liked, so i liked it here as well. It was nice to see them having to deal with various problems and come up with strategies to overcome obstacles... until the very last battle. This is where it failed miserably, imo.

I don't know, but it just seemed like the writers had written themselves in to a corner, and couldn't get out without the use of a deus-ex machine... which would be the ūber-maneuverability they pulled out from someplace the sun doesn't shine.

I was rather excited with the upcoming challenge - i mean, it would take something really interesting to pull that one off... and i just felt utterly cheated when Amaterasu simply went out there and kicked arse. Alas...i cry for what could have been. Minus the last battle it was a very enjoyable experience up until the last battle.

Interweaving politics to a quite major degree was done nicely as well... it was nice when Sinon asked "Just what have we been doing up until now?" ... politics *sigh*

Am i the only one who thought that Sinon resembles Lafiel (Crest of the stars) to some degree ? ...for that matter - why wasn't she the captain ? 0_o .... Kanzaki seemed like an incompetent retard compared to her ... without her they wouldn't have made it past the 1st battle ...not to mention he seemed prone to panic quite easily. I can not, for the life of me, figure out why would any one want him as the captain instead of Sinon.

One other thing that wasn't done well - the romance aspect of the show. It felt.... pointless... for all intents and purposes. It seemed like the romance in this one existed like a mere afterthought ... almost like the producers had a bit of time to spare, so they threw something in here and there.

What was the point of Kanzaki x that blond girl ? Saa.... no character nor plot developments came from it, nor did it have any impact on anything at all. (not to mention it happened out of the blue)

Takai x that girl who liked him ever since ? *shrug* - they never even bothered to give a conclusion to it. They sure made a big deal out of it - epix confession galaxy-wise and what not... only to be dropped after than and not being touched upon outside of 2-3 teasing jokes.

Sinon x that mechanic guy... First thought - Most pathetic death scene. Ever. Period.
But in all seriousness... what was the point of this ? aside from the kiss scene and one Sinon crying scene i don't feel like anything was gained from it, nor that anything changed at all after his death. Not even Sinon herself. Sure, she looked a bit more gloomy than before, but not like her behavior changed to any degree. (And where did this come from anyway? Sinon's interest in the guy prior to this was rock bottom)

... i think this is the first time i have complained about romance in any show, because my personal preference is for any type of show to have some...but this was just plain disappointing and useless. I don't think that either of the 3 "relationships" had more than 5 minutes of screentime dedicated to any of them... even if that much. Not to mention that 2 of 3 relationships came across as forced to me... directors had some time left, so voila - some half-arsed romance was born. And with the third relationship that had the potential to not feel like forced... well, they chose to pretend it never existed in the end.

p.s. - was i the only one who though: "was that breast shot of Renna's really needed" when she was lying on that operation table ? Not that i have anything against such shots, mind you *cough*, just that it felt out of place.

Overall a decent show, but could have been much better in some aspects. The animation was very nice though... but the CGs could have used more frames here and there >.<
Old 2007-04-21, 13:13   Link #25
Mentar
Banned

Skyfall: As an explanation about the "interrupted" romance aspect: SSO is actually a series of light novels. Here, we have MUCH MORE time to work on these parts. The anime simply followed the flow, but was cut short
Old 2007-04-21, 13:16   Link #26
winry039
love is dreaminess

Send a message via AIM to winry039
i have never heard of this anime
Old 2007-08-18, 16:57   Link #27
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Skyfall: As an explanation about the "interrupted" romance aspect: SSO is actually a series of light novels. Here, we have MUCH MORE time to work on these parts. The anime simply followed the flow, but was cut short
Hey Mentar, have you read the novels? Some extra info about what happens would be great (especially the ending ).

I just finished watching this, and there's such a great possibility of a sequel (i.e. the *real* war breaking out after the diplomatic disaster by the Earth's Fed, and it's clear to everyone in the galaxy by now that Shinon had real brains (i.e. not just an untried cadet)...you'd think people would go out of the way to recruit a brilliant strategist for said war.
Old 2008-05-22, 23:40   Link #28
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
I just saw this myself and loved it. It's nice to see a good drama series that doesn't think it needs to focus so much on lots of big explosions and shots of nearly naked girls once in a while. I'm not really one for discussing the deep, political kinds of drama like in this series, so I really only have one thing to say:

Damn this series is cold. Not even a full episode goes by from their kiss before Koki dies pretty much right before Shion's eyes. It reminds me of Sara and Callis (I got his name right, right? It's been a long time since I watched that), who didn't even get to the end of the episode before the boyfriend got whacked. And going even further, it also reminded me of Saji and Louise's tragedy in G00, to a lesser degree.

Man, sci-fi dramas are getting sub-zero these days.
Old 2009-04-28, 08:09   Link #29
KimmyChan

The complete DVD box set of this series comes out here in the UK in a couple of weeks time

I'm considering buying it as it looks a pretty good series
Old 2009-04-28, 09:03   Link #30
taelrak

It's a really nice series, especially if you like tactical space battles.
Old 2009-04-28, 10:37   Link #31
KimmyChan

Not to mention all the lead girl characters in it look ever so cool
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, shounen