AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2010-11-15, 17:33   Link #661
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Not a request but ... Why is the limit for changing name a whopping 12 months ? The other forum I use has 3 month limit ( and you can do it manually there from your options, why can't we here ? ).. 12 months seems too much :x.
Old 2010-11-16, 06:17   Link #662
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Not a request but ... Why is the limit for changing name a whopping 12 months ? The other forum I use has 3 month limit ( and you can do it manually there from your options, why can't we here ? ).. 12 months seems too much :x.
  • the amount of requests would be too high (they likely have less users)
  • 1 year is the average time someone hangs around the forum; frequent changes are also not desirable so having a 1 year turn encourages people to think well about it
  • being such a long period of time it is less confusing when someone more active changes the name
  • the option to change automatically would have to be implemented by vB (since this is not a custom build forum) - is the other forum running on Vanilla 2.x?
Old 2010-11-16, 06:20   Link #663
Dist

^No idea. The forum site just says besides it's name ( Powered by Invision Power Board )

Anyhow, I personally like their 3 month system, it's not really THAT confusing, and there are people who like to use names of a character that they might like at the moment, but if you're stuck for a whole year with that name while your interests change ..

And if such option to change it manually would be there, then there would no need for moderators to be bothered about '' too many requests ''.
Old 2010-11-16, 10:59   Link #664
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Anyhow, I personally like their 3 month system, it's not really THAT confusing, and there are people who like to use names of a character that they might like at the moment, but if you're stuck for a whole year with that name while your interests change ..
The current system is designed so that people aren't so flippant about their forum identity. Sticking to a certain identity is a form of accountability and a way for fellow posters to get to know who you are. Getting a new nickname is sort of like trying to get a new identity, and that just causes confusion. So the fact that you can't just change your nickname with every passing anime season is on purpose. For those sorts of cosmetic changes, you can use your avatar and signature.

Quote:
And if such option to change it manually would be there, then there would no need for moderators to be bothered about '' too many requests ''.
Given that no such system exists in vBulletin at the moment, and given what I said above, I don't think it's likely that any time will be invested in implementing such an option any time soon. Sorry for the inconvenience...
Old 2010-11-17, 13:46   Link #665
Dist

Yeah but .. a whole year ? I could have sworn it used to be less ..
Old 2010-11-17, 14:07   Link #666
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Nope. Always been that way...
Old 2010-11-18, 13:36   Link #667
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
This could be quite confusing by itself.

+100 members suddenly naming themselves after a new popular character, could easily lead into many similar usernames.

Having it happening naturally as the community grow is one thing, to have it happening every three months would be a different ball game alltogether.
Old 2010-11-22, 23:05   Link #668
Aurelie
THE BRITISH ARE COMING!!!
*Graphic Designer

This is probably a long shot, but would it be possible to have a name change a couple of days early?
Old 2010-11-23, 04:23   Link #669
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Nope. Always been that way...
No, it was six months when I first joined here.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-23, 06:23   Link #670
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
You sure? I do remember there was a time when the time period was "undefined" (as far as the thread is concerned), and mods would just ask for "come back next year" (which at the minimum would be around 5-6 months); but don't recall the rules ever saying "6 months", and I followed this thread for a long time, since many posters change names.
Old 2010-11-23, 06:24   Link #671
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Vermillion View Post
This is probably a long shot, but would it be possible to have a name change a couple of days early?
I would be happy to. I'm not going to quibble over a couple of days. The policy is only there to limit the staff workload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
As Cats said, originally we had no fixed policy because we only received a few requests via PM.

As more people posted their request publicly somewhere in this forum, more people found out they could request a name change. Eventually this thread established itself and, inevitably, the frequency of requests increased (both here and via PM).

It was as a result of a number of people requesting frequent changes (a few even changed their minds three times in a week) that we change the "if you're going to be fickle, we'll say no for at least 6-12 months" rule of thumb to a "make sure you really want the new name because you'll have to wait one year between changes" policy.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-23, 06:29   Link #672
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
You sure? I do remember there was a time when the time period was "undefined" (as far as the thread is concerned), and mods would just ask for "come back next year" (which at the minimum would be around 5-6 months); but don't recall the rules ever saying "6 months", and I followed this thread for a long time, since many posters change names.
I do remember when I requested my first name change, I read the first post and it said one should wait a minimum of 6 months before requesting another change so that if I wanted to change my name again, I would know how long I had to wait. Nightwish explained it all so I won't say more It doesn't really matter to me anyways.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-23, 12:59   Link #673
Aurelie
THE BRITISH ARE COMING!!!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
I would be happy to. I'm not going to quibble over a couple of days. The policy is only there to limit the staff workload.
Thank you, you're a star. ♥
I'd like my name changed to Aurélie, or Aurelie if you can't get the é. Thank you (again) in advance.
Old 2010-11-24, 08:54   Link #674
DownwardSpiral

May I please have my username changed to DownwardSpiral? Thank you.
DownwardSpiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 16:44   Link #675
MainCharacter
All Evils of the World

Could I perhaps have my username changed to MainCharacter?

Thank you in advanced should request be accepted.
*bows*
MainCharacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 12:56   Link #676
Isako
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Isako
I'd like my name changed to Isako.

Thanks in advanced.
Isako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 09:57   Link #677
Raildex
*Graphic Designer

Can i have my name changed to Raildex?

thank you
Raildex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 04:48   Link #678
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

So I've been thinking this past few days whether I should change my name. I have been using this name for the past 4 years, but I've grown tired of it lately. So I've decided to change my username. So may I have my username changed to Haru~? Thank you very much.

Last edited by Haru~; 2010-12-29 at 13:29. Reason: Thanks to the mod who did it.
Haru~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 03:55   Link #679
Ambiguously Unknown

I would like to request a name change to Ambiguously Unknown please. Thank you in advance.
Ambiguously Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 09:24   Link #680
Dist

When I asked to change my username to Dist, I actually asked to change it to -Dist but it wasn't possible?

Then why was Haru~'s request possible with that ~ thingy ?

Or is there some stupid rule that names can't start with other than letters ? I highly doubt it affects anything whether name starts with a - ~ or anything else than a letter.

And with that said, I would appreciate if my name was changed to -Dist if it was possible, and if for some reason it isn't then I would really like to know why.

Tags
request