AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-10, 14:12   Link #12721
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Read me again, you got it wrong, I'm not talking about her only (I'm not that interested) but on the story in a general aspect.
Oh... well, then I agree, I think it would be better for Index to start participating more in her story.
Old 2011-08-10, 14:16   Link #12722
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
Oh... well, then I agree, I think it would be better for Index to start participating more in her story.
Its not only her story, its sad and bothering when it happens on others stories I've seen until now.
Old 2011-08-10, 14:18   Link #12723
leukrota

Quote:
Its not only her story, its sad and bothering when it happens on others stories I've seen until now.
... what do you mean? are you talking about when a series' main characters lose their focus due to the appearance of too many side characters? or something else?
Old 2011-08-10, 14:28   Link #12724
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
... what do you mean? are you talking about when a series' main characters lose their focus due to the appearance of too many side characters? or something else?
Yeah, thats what I mean.
Old 2011-08-10, 14:34   Link #12725
leukrota

Quote:
Yeah, thats what I mean.
Well, the way I see it, so far only Index has that problem, and it's not beyond help yet.

Anyway, it's mostly a matter of how good is Kamachi at juggling characters, I've seen some series with loads of them that don't overshadow the main characters, and some with just a few but that still cause the story to lose track of them.
Old 2011-08-10, 14:41   Link #12726
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Well, the way I see it, so far only Index has that problem, and it's not beyond help yet.

Anyway, it's mostly a matter of how good is Kamachi at juggling characters, I've seen some series with loads of them that don't overshadow the main characters, and some with just a few but that still cause the story to lose track of them.
I won't deny that, but when I introduced some people to this series usually they told me "and what about Index (character)?" or something like which I don't have answer to.
Old 2011-08-10, 15:33   Link #12727
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

So I finally got around to reading Chapter 6 of Railgun SS2, and this was mentioned before in Railgun SS1, but doesn't Kamachi have some really odd ideas about foreign countries and guns?

I mean, seriously,

Quote:
“Ugehgeh!! Why did we fall down into an area full of guns!?”

Mikoto’s eyes widened.

It seemed to be a place packed full of all the gun shops registered with the shopping mall, but they were selling ice cream like normal right next to it all. It was being treated just like the bookstore corner. The feelings toward guns were completely different than in Japan.

“I thought the shopping mall was supposed to be divided between necessary daily items and the entertainment or luxury items!”

“What are you talking about? A rifle is necessary for daily life.

“…Seriously?”

“In this country, things don’t get to the level of entertainment or a hobby until you get up to a rocket launcher or a Gatling gun.”
And this

Quote:
Dozens of pairs of hands grabbed at brand new rifles like people fighting over items during a good sale. Ammunition was spilled all over the floor. Some people ran around while shoving multiple guns into shopping carts, some people stuck handguns into their belts, and some people grabbed up a bunch of rifles and then were punched from the side by someone else who took all the rifles from them. No mercy was shown to anyone regardless of age or gender. Guns were flying all over the place like when each customer was limited to one package of eggs so people had their kids line up to buy some, too.

Mikoto’s face paled at that scene that was outside of common Japanese knowledge.
Really, what does he think guns are?!!

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2011-08-10, 15:35   Link #12728
Ashaman

You do realise that bolded bit is a metaphor, right?
Old 2011-08-10, 15:39   Link #12729
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
You do realise that bolded bit is a metaphor, right?
The part about the rifle or the point about the kids buying guns?

Both didn't look like metaphors to me.

Old 2011-08-10, 15:49   Link #12730
Ashaman

the Kid one definately is a metaphor.

The rifle bit sounds more like Lessar is pulling Misaka's leg than anything else, but who can say for sure
Old 2011-08-10, 15:56   Link #12731
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
the Kid one definately is a metaphor.

The rifle bit sounds more like Lessar is pulling Misaka's leg than anything else, but who can say for sure
Maybe, but the fact that he would write it at all shows that Kamachi has some really odd ideas about gun ownership in foreign countries.

Anyway, Kanzaki SS Chap 1 part 2 has been completed.

I've thought this before, but the Jeans Store Owner is fast becoming a favourite of mine, as is the tour guide.

Also, nice little cameo from Saten.

Last edited by Endscape; 2011-08-10 at 16:09.
Old 2011-08-10, 16:34   Link #12732
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
The structure maybe, but at the cost of other character as I said above with Tsuchimikado being invisible during the war, or a worse situation being left on a side like Index despite being the titular character despite being relevant and having the events flowing because of her.
Kamachi already changed the structure since after vol. 2, remember?

Don't you think that somehow affects the series? Railgun has Mikoto while Index has... Touma, Accel, Mikoto, Hamazura and growing load of characters.... and?

Somehow I've finally realized why serenade_beta refers to Index as In-something-san, etc... . Even if some people has a dislike for the titular character Louise from ZnT, Shana from SnS, etc, their respective authors have managed to keep their titular characters a main characters even I admit despite not liking some of them I have a respect for them.

A series which doesn't do so will slowly reveal its weakness by adding more and more characters but the supposed titulars in order to make up for those points.

That's BS- now you're saying Mikoto has taken script time from other characters? Tsuchimikado is suppose to appear in the WWIII arc right? Oh Dear God this should be interesting, please tell me how you know this to be true? Please show me the original script.

Secondly, and I've been saying this before about defending Yuuno in Nanoha, the problem with Index is that nobody acknowledges that she has done any enough. They need flashy display of action before they would admit anything. Just like how Yuuno was deem useless because he never had his own fight. Everyone is being compared to the three protagonists instead of being judged on their own merits. And this reminds me yet again of how the Imoutos gain credit from just existing and being victims... I swear the double standards in this place is amazing.

Look at how hard it is to convince people about the dangers of Nuclear fallout to the people around the world instead of just the damn main story Because if we don't raise a big sign that says "Big Damn Main Story" isn't obviously not important enough.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-08-10 at 16:53.
Old 2011-08-10, 16:38   Link #12733
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

I can't put any pictures thanks to a mod but it involves a lot of laughter reading argument about Misaka of all people.
Old 2011-08-10, 16:43   Link #12734
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
I can't put any pictures thanks to a mod but it involves a lot of laughter reading argument about Misaka of all people.
Yeah well this is going to go on until we get the translated texts, so buckle up it's going to be a riot
Old 2011-08-10, 16:45   Link #12735
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Yeah well this is going to go on until we get the translated texts, so buckle up it's going to be a riot
Misaka Awakens

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Old 2011-08-10, 16:45   Link #12736
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Arguing about Misaka? That's been around forever.

Her fans made people this way.

inb4 someone says I generali-

Quote:
Misaka Awakens

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
Old 2011-08-10, 16:53   Link #12737
leukrota

Quote:
Arguing about Misaka? That's been around forever.

Her fans made people this way.

inb4 someone says I generali-
Has anyone else told you you generalize a lot besides me?

Anyway, I've given up on correcting your argumentation quirks.
Old 2011-08-10, 16:57   Link #12738
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Nope but I figured you would say I do.
Old 2011-08-10, 17:05   Link #12739
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

The thing with Misaka is a classic case of Hype Backlash. It can't be helped.

Old 2011-08-10, 17:07   Link #12740
leukrota

Quote:
Nope but I figured you would say I do.
Well, I've realized the futility of such action.

Besides, you're not the only one... the people of this thread generalize and everyone exaggerates all the time . I can do nothing about it.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen