AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-21, 16:49   Link #1
SCKnight
Mecha Pilot of the South

Question Cardcaptor Sakura Discussion

Anyone noticed that the cards aren't subbed in Cardcaptor Sakura? Wait, do they have VAs in the English version? In the episode where Rain is introduced, it says some things, but they weren't subbed. I only know of two cards that talk: Mirror and the Void Card (the one from the movie). If the cards are meant to be something as companions or friends, shouldn't they have some dialogue?
SCKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 17:04   Link #2
SCKnight
Mecha Pilot of the South

Question Favorite Clow Cards

What card/cards were your favorite?
SCKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-19, 19:30   Link #3
MaachaQ
MQP Productions

Send a message via ICQ to MaachaQ Send a message via MSN to MaachaQ
Card Captor Sakura

I know this is/was licensed by Geneon, but it was going out of print even before they shut down. Does anyone know the current status of the license and the possibility of reprints of the series?

I am still missing about 5 discs from my set, and can't seem to find the missing volumes for any kind of reasonable price T_T I'm not yet ready to order the Japanese discs (like I am beginning to do with Sailor Moon), but if nothing happens in the US with this series soon, I may have to... $20 per disc is SOOO much nicer than $30 + I would pay for imports...

I had to create a new thread because apparently this series is old enough now that any thread about it that may have been here is gone...

edit: I see someone found the old thread, thank you ^^ My problem I think is I searched "Card Captor Sakura" and not "Cardcaptor Sakura" ^^;

Last edited by MaachaQ; 2007-12-21 at 22:47.
MaachaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-19, 22:21   Link #4
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

Geneon hasn't lost any of its licenses. For the time being, fans of their series are in the unenviable position of having only what's out on the shelves to pick up. I assume you've tried all the usual online stores?

I'm glad I picked up a complete set earlier this year.
Wavedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 03:28   Link #5
Asrialys

Hehe, I almost have this series twice. The individual DVDs (1-12 and 18) and the two box sets. Couldn't help myself.

As for reprints, unfortunate fans can only hope. Considering it being a popular title, perhaps it will see a reprint in the future. But with Geneon as it is now, the wait may take a while.
Old 2007-12-21, 22:49   Link #6
MaachaQ
MQP Productions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedash View Post
Geneon hasn't lost any of its licenses. For the time being, fans of their series are in the unenviable position of having only what's out on the shelves to pick up. I assume you've tried all the usual online stores?

I'm glad I picked up a complete set earlier this year.
I saw the deal on Right Stuf for the whole set, but unfortunately I waited too long and missed it >< I already had 11 volumes (1-10 and 12) and hadn't wanted to buy duplicates by buying the full set again, my mistake... I'll be searching for the others on eBay and other outlets, but I may end up paying $20 per disc even for used ones... more if I want to buy all new ones...
Old 2007-12-21, 23:19   Link #7
Sakura_Kinomoto
Kaede/Ama Fan boy

i would be willing to pay heaps for them *sniffles* i love the series

Oh and my fav card is definatley the mirror

Last edited by Sakura_Kinomoto; 2007-12-21 at 23:20. Reason: spelling check
Sakura_Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 18:02   Link #8
MaachaQ
MQP Productions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaachaQ View Post
I saw the deal on Right Stuf for the whole set, but unfortunately I waited too long and missed it >< I already had 11 volumes (1-10 and 12) and hadn't wanted to buy duplicates by buying the full set again, my mistake... I'll be searching for the others on eBay and other outlets, but I may end up paying $20 per disc even for used ones... more if I want to buy all new ones...
BTW, for anyone like me who is still looking for all or part of this series, I was able to find almost all of the discs I was missing on Half.com (run by eBay). I paid $12-$16 for each, which considering how long they have been out of print is really not bad at all ^^

I'm still missing volume 18... Not going to pay $25 or more for it just yet... hoping I can find a better deal later.
Old 2007-12-28, 22:37   Link #9
fallenangelash
Misao-ISM
*Fansubber

full sets can still be baught at animecornerstore.com for 329.46US which really equates to $18 a DVD if anyone is interested.. im so happy i baught them when they were so much cheaper.
Old 2007-12-28, 23:29   Link #10
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangelash View Post
full sets can still be baught at animecornerstore.com for 329.46US which really equates to $18 a DVD if anyone is interested.. im so happy i baught them when they were so much cheaper.
lol Holy crap. Just as bad as Sailor Moon sets (non-Signature Series), if not worse. Neither of mine were over $70. Hm, I think I saw (maybe not) one at the Japantown in San Francisco. Can't remember. But I know they had several of the CCS DVDs (with postcards too) at retail price. Blech.
Old 2008-01-07, 19:42   Link #11
fallenangelash
Misao-ISM
*Fansubber

whoever wants to buy them they are only 170AU$ on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ksid=p3907.m29
Old 2008-01-16, 00:04   Link #12
RingoPango
=w=

Cant remember which cards like like...it was such a long time ago that I saw/read the series^^ Very cute series even tho the stories aren't that great.
RingoPango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 01:20   Link #13
Sakura_Kinomoto
Kaede/Ama Fan boy

I thought the story line was brilliant it had every theme...except lol but that was covered by the Doujinishi artists
Old 2008-01-18, 09:42   Link #14
arkxkra
全力全開

It was a great series, recently just finish rewatch movie 1 of CCS, it really nice. One of the best anime ever .
Old 2008-01-18, 19:59   Link #15
Sakura_Kinomoto
Kaede/Ama Fan boy

wht does everyone here think of the tomoyo/sakura relationship?
Old 2011-02-24, 16:41   Link #16
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
CARD REVIEW CAPTION TIME

PROLOGUE
Seeing all these high ratings for the series, I couldn’t help myself from writing a harsh one about it. Because I don’t consider it the best there is. Heck, a second opinion is always needed in order to double-check if you really like or hate something, right ?

ANIMATION SECTION: 8/10 [You’ll be doing cosplay; I’ll be filming you undressing.]
The visuals are generally very appealing, despite their years. They definitely aren’t super-awesome, yet for a series of this kind they are just fine. Plus, all characters and critters are drawn ultra-kawai, so it is rather hard not to love them on first sight. It is really refreshing to have a mahou shojo, where the heroine wears different cloths in every episode. She doesn’t even need to transform; she does cosplay just to please her friend. The environments are rather simple and repetitive (school grounds and Sakura’s home mostly) but the events that take place there are very different every time, so this is not much of a problem. Still, there are frozen frames and the repetitive release clip that drops the general quality a bit. Thank goodness that all the action scenes while chasing the cards are very different, thus even this can be overlooked.

SOUND SECTION: 8/10 [Hoe!!! I am not good at playing the flute.]
I hardly find anything to write here. Voice acting is simply superb for all the characters, with Sakura’s trademark frustration remarks becoming part of you early on. All the rest of the characters also have distinctive voices and demeanors. The music themes are to die for and the sound effects do their work as they should for a series of this kind. Still, the overall acoustics don’t have much artistic overtones, which I am very fond of. Just think of .hack//SIGN or Princess Tutu to get the picture.

STORY SECTION: 4/10 [I will become the best Card Captor in the world!]
The general story is quite simple. Sakura goes by her daily routine life and occasionally chases magic cards. There is nothing grand-scaled in it. The story keeps promising you with an upcoming world threat, posed by these magic cards. But in reality, there is no such threat and the cards are hardly dangerous. Heck, Sakura’s romantic frustrations are far more important in the plot than stopping the cards from destroying the world. So, this is practically a slice-of-life anime with a few magical girl overtones for flavor. In fact, I came to dislike the whole card chase. It was getting nowhere, just like the story in general. It was just an excuse for Sakura to keep meeting with Shaoran Li. Of course, there is the plus that most cards need to be captured with some sort of strategy and by using other cards. The usual “pull out my magic staff and beat them all in the same manner” golden rule of mahou shojo did not apply here and it was giving a slight feeling of progress. But not much. The real progress in the story was Sakura’s romantic life.
Spoiler:

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 7/10 [Oh, how I love seeing you wearing the costumes I made for you!]
Although a simple story about simple people, it is not a simply boring series. The way Sakura needs to take care of her shores in the house, do her homework and various other activities, are full of vividness that hardly make you feel bored. Sakura’s silliness and determination provide a lot of comedy and entertainment without ever becoming ridiculous or really lame. Her interaction with her teasing brother, her schoolmates and Shaoran Li are more than enough to really enjoy watching her doing practically nothing overall important.
Spoiler:

IF the story was more solid, IF the episodes were fewer and IF all those kinky innuendos were getting somewhere, the enjoyment would be a 10.

CHARACTER SECTION: 7/10 [Hey Toya, why is Shaoran Li all red like that?]
Spoiler:

VALUE SECTION: 7/10 [How much for that stuffed animal? -Kerberos: I am not stuffed; I just eat a lot.]
Historical Value 3/3: Amongst the most famous mahou shojo.
Rewatchability 1/3: Nah, too storyless to pay much attention again.
Memorability 3/4: Not the best in the field as some think but generally very good.

VERDICT: 7/10
What do you mean you don’t have an alibi for not having a story? Why, I’ll just give you a GUILTY verdict for being so shallow… But since you are so adorable, I will let you go free. Ah, how cute! <3

SUGGESTION LIST
Princess Tutu
Looking for the Full Moon
Sailor Moon
Moetan
Other CLAMP works; especially Chobits, X-tv and RG-Veda (the manga).
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-24, 23:18   Link #17
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

^Where did you watch this it been so long since ive seen it
Old 2011-02-25, 05:05   Link #18
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
On tv 2 years ago
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 15:40   Link #19
FireChick

Oh! Oh! I LOVE Card Captor Sakura! I have all the books (the ones that came out before the omnibus editions came out) and I'm 16 episodes into the anime. I would watch more of it, but I have other shows I need to finish watching. But it's great so far!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 06:50   Link #20
Seiryuu

Question:
From what I've read, this series' license expired around 6 years ago. Is this true, or is it still licensed and just has no DVDs in print?
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magical girl, shojo