AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2011-03-24, 08:01   Link #2941
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I do remember reading somewhere in UBW or perhaps Fate, he was trying to project and knew his body couldn't cope but then realised he could project swords because he has an affinity for them. It's either the scene when he first fights the teacher or the scene when he projects Caliburn against Bersekrer (probably the former).
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 13:45   Link #2942
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Huh. A question then; why didn't he use it? It requires only a small amount of power compared to, say, Caliburn?
Well, if you're talking about Shirou, then he probably lacks the prana, except at the end of UBW when he's too busy fighting Gil to activate an NP. If you're talking about Archer, then that's a bit more difficult to explain, but excepting against Berserker in Fate (where he may well have used it, although IIRC it is too low rank to break through God Hand) I can't think of any situation where he would have had the opportunity to do so, at least not without giving more about his abilities away to Rin than he would like.
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 15:30   Link #2943
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Huh. A question then; why didn't he use it? It requires only a small amount of power compared to, say, Caliburn?
Because Caliburn >> Gae Bolg. Not to mention, the hero has to put his all into it every time. Why hold back? Especially when you're a Nasu protagonist who despite having only one projection left pulls out six more.
Old 2011-04-15, 15:19   Link #2944
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Theoretically, can you project a weapon not available in you dimension by using Kaleidoscope (that tiny little sword that gets magic from infinite dimensions)?
Old 2011-04-16, 10:21   Link #2945
Cherry_Lover

If Shirou could use Kaleidoscope to view it then, yes, he could.
Old 2011-04-16, 15:08   Link #2946
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
As long as it's not of a divine realm (like Ea, the anti-world spear?), he can project anything, as long as he has seen it?
Old 2011-04-16, 17:41   Link #2947
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
As long as it's not of a divine realm (like Ea, the anti-world spear?), he can project anything, as long as he has seen it?
He can make Zelretch, but he can't use Kaliedoscope, since it's something totally apart from the sword, the sword is just a tuner for it.
Altima of the Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 04:03   Link #2948
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Er...was it ever stated what country Ilya is from? I always assumed it was Russia but her name kinda sounds like German...
Old 2011-04-18, 05:34   Link #2949
GDB

Pretty sure it was Germany, but don't recall 100% if it was said or not.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 09:19   Link #2950
careph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Er...was it ever stated what country Ilya is from? I always assumed it was Russia but her name kinda sounds like German...
Slight modification: Her name sounds like something a Japanese would think sounds German.
Rin's incantations make me shudder every time.
careph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 15:50   Link #2951
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Pretty sure it was Germany, but don't recall 100% if it was said or not.
The family is definitely native German, because "von" is a German heriditary title (plus, she clearly speaks German, because "Der Lorelei" is a German song, and she sings along to it), but they live in the mountains and, IIRC, in Fate she tries to pay for something in francs, so she might actually be from the German-speaking part of Switzerland.
Old 2011-04-19, 10:12   Link #2952
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post
The family is definitely native German, because "von" is a German heriditary title (plus, she clearly speaks German, because "Der Lorelei" is a German song, and she sings along to it), but they live in the mountains and, IIRC, in Fate she tries to pay for something in francs, so she might actually be from the German-speaking part of Switzerland.
I...somewhat have qualms about basing the analysis on the name. For one, Ilya is normally a (not german) male's name. And second, remember the totally normal name of Bazett Fraga McRemitz? Or Luviagelita Edelfelt? Or Sion Eltnam Atlasia? Or- oh you got my point But as for the other parts, I guess the analysis are pretty acceptable (though I don't remember the francs bit).

That reminds me, what year did the the 4th War happened?
Old 2011-04-19, 10:44   Link #2953
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

The earliest date that would be exactly 10 years after they had laptops (because Kiritsugu had a Laptop which he used to totally Google Kotomine's ass).
=P
Old 2011-04-19, 20:49   Link #2954
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
I...somewhat have qualms about basing the analysis on the name. For one, Ilya is normally a (not german) male's name. And second, remember the totally normal name of Bazett Fraga McRemitz? Or Luviagelita Edelfelt? Or Sion Eltnam Atlasia? Or- oh you got my point But as for the other parts, I guess the analysis are pretty acceptable (though I don't remember the francs bit).
Well, usually I'd agree with that, but "von = German" is a very well known "rule", so I can't imagine Nasu getting that wrong and, plus, she has a German nursery rhyme as her theme tune. I'm pretty sure she's supposed to be Germanic in origin.

Quote:
That reminds me, what year did the the 4th War happened?
Ten years before the 5th war. And, currently, the most likely date for the 5th is the year 2000 (because Nasu has said that FSN almost immediately follows Tsukihime), so that would make the 4th war 1990. But, then again, Alexander mentions Clinton being the President of the US at the time, so....
Old 2011-04-20, 10:30   Link #2955
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Quote:
Well, usually I'd agree with that, but "von = German" is a very well known "rule", so I can't imagine Nasu getting that wrong and, plus, she has a German nursery rhyme as her theme tune. I'm pretty sure she's supposed to be Germanic in origin.
Yeah, and the "Einzbern" sounds very Germanic as well. Plus, while "Ilya" is a Russian male name (the feminine is "Ilyana"), Ilya's first name isn't "Ilya"; that's just short for "Ilyasviel," which isn't anybody's name in any language, just made up fantasyland stuff (which actually pretty much follows their family's naming traditions).
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 19:26   Link #2956
Vigilantia

Has it ever been explained how exactly Kuzuki was able to save caster? As I understand it, Kuzuki is not a magus and doesn't have any magical circuits in his body. Also, from the scarce information provided on the mana recharge ritual, mana is only provided from mages. Therefore... How did Caster survive after betraying her initial master? (Power of love?)

Also, do we know what exactly the Holy Grail is capable of now in its corrupted form? Can it still give specific wishes at the expense of destruction and mayhem (in the form of equivelent exchange), or is its only wish giving ability now "kill people"?

i.e.

Person A: Transport me to Paris.
(Person A is teleported to Paris successfully)
(Explosions and screams of destruction and death)

or

Person A: Transport me to Paris.
(Person A dies along with everyone else in explosions and screams of Destruction)
Person A: Damn
Vigilantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 21:33   Link #2957
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
Has it ever been explained how exactly Kuzuki was able to save caster? As I understand it, Kuzuki is not a magus and doesn't have any magical circuits in his body. Also, from the scarce information provided on the mana recharge ritual, mana is only provided from mages. Therefore... How did Caster survive after betraying her initial master? (Power of love?)
Everyone has mana. You don't need a magic curcuit to have mana. So, after they did the nasty, whatever little mana Kuzuki had, went to Caster and was able to save her. She sucked up the mana from all the people in the area because Kuzuki couldn't provide her with the manga she needed to fight.

Quote:
Also, do we know what exactly the Holy Grail is capable of now in its corrupted form? Can it still give specific wishes at the expense of destruction and mayhem (in the form of equivelent exchange), or is its only wish giving ability now "kill people"?
This I am not too sure on, but I don't think there was ever an actual wish. The grail was just a means to reaching the Origin and the wish thing was the propaganda used to fulfill the ceremony to complete the grail.
Old 2011-05-26, 14:20   Link #2958
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
This I am not too sure on, but I don't think there was ever an actual wish. The grail was just a means to reaching the Origin and the wish thing was the propaganda used to fulfill the ceremony to complete the grail.
No, the wish exists, even though it wasn't the original point of the Grail. It's just a side-effect of having so much mana in one place and accessible to one person. They can essentially make the world into whatever they want it to be.
Old 2011-05-26, 21:43   Link #2959
Vigilantia

Thanks for the responses both of you ^_^.

Now here's the main part of my question: Saber wished to obtain the Holy Grail to switch the sword choice selection. In essence, she wanted to use the Grail's massive amount of mana to enact the 5th true magic, Time Travel. Was this even possible? I recall Tohsaka mentioning at the end of HF that not even the Holy Grail had the ability to resurrect someone from the dead (which would be considered the 3rd true magic).

Sorry if these have been asked before but I only finished F/SN this year and havent had the 6 years of experience of you guys. (I also searched through most of the pages in this thread but nothing really stuck out >.<)
Vigilantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-27, 02:43   Link #2960
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Quote:
No, the wish exists, even though it wasn't the original point of the Grail. It's just a side-effect of having so much mana in one place and accessible to one person. They can essentially make the world into whatever they want it to be.
I don't fully remember but I think in HF,
Spoiler for HF: