AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-03-14, 13:43   Link #141
jigoku shoujo

Windows 7 score better than both XP and Vista on old and new machine:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3789&page=3

I hope MS keep performance like this, I'll finally move away from XP.
jigoku shoujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 15:51   Link #142
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Some bad news: Latest beta build of Windows 7 (7057) blocks third party codecs in Windows Media Player and Media Center.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5185390/windows...y-video-codecs
http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...y-video-codecs
Old 2009-03-29, 15:56   Link #143
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

I seriously doubt it's a feature and not some sort of bug or something. Even *I* wouldn't install 7 if there was such a limitation and there was no easy workaround for it.

Having said that, my Xonar newer drivers failed and they took the older Xonar drivers with them. Since I don't want to download unofficial Win 7 builds and I don't want to format only to install the same 7000 build... I had to go back to Vista... The difference is ridiculous. Then again, it might be because I haven't been in Vista for 20 days or so and it's defraging or something, but it's so slow I could swear I'm using my pc from 4-5 years back...

Ah well, I guess it's time I used the Win7 partition for Ubuntu till the official Win7 RC comes out.
Old 2009-03-29, 17:44   Link #144
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye, I'm putting a hold on further win7 tinkering til the RC candidates.... (too much else going on). I sincerely hope the codec block thing is an oversight and they aren't about to massively shoot DRM bullets into their vitals..... :P

Because otherwise, it is looking pretty nice in terms of performance and usability.
Old 2009-03-29, 18:02   Link #145
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I'm seriously hoping that it isn't in the RC version, or we will soon have the European Union filing a anti-trust lawsuit against Microsoft for blocking third-party codecs on Windows Media Player/Media Center.

This is also the case while Vista was in beta and people feared that the DRM in Vista would not allow them to play non-drm'd music and video files.

Just note that this only affects Windows Media Player and Media Center, not third party programs that use directshow.
Old 2009-03-29, 21:37   Link #146
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Users of smplayer shouldn't be affected by this since the codecs are integral to mplayer. VLC users should be similarly unaffected, I would think.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 00:58   Link #147
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Who uses WMP anyways, use MPC or VLC instead...
Old 2009-03-30, 01:12   Link #148
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

(sigh) Many people use WMP, so during testing of the beta and RCs - its good to know what works and what doesn't before recommending any particular configuration.

Personally, I tend to use MPC... and I've never really settled on a favorite player in linux....
Old 2009-03-30, 02:33   Link #149
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, the latest leaked build is 7068 (they really DID change the bootup screen, so I guess they're trying to inch away from the Vista-ish look to find a pure, separate W7 trademark image/theme) so, well, we'll have to see whether they made new changes. I'll probably try and install K-Lite Mega Codec Pack or some other proggie, but I'd need to some free time to do so - and, alas, I need my HDD and all installed applications at all times (yeah, I don't have a laptop or second computer).

Last edited by Renegade334; 2009-03-30 at 02:44.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 08:47   Link #150
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Just to confirm my earlier guess, I ran smplayer in a recent Windows 7 build (7048, I believe), and it had no problem playing a video. Windows was running in a VirtualBox VM hosted on Ubuntu 9.04 a6.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 08:56   Link #151
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Oh well, I couldn't keep away and installed 7068. The networking problem with nforce 680 is still there, but it wasn't that obvious. The solution was the same though, as long as you have the nforce drivers, once you're sure the adapter is enabled, you install the drivers and the issue is fixed.
Old 2009-03-30, 09:40   Link #152
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Just tried 7068 on a clean install - everything went okay and compared to the previous downloaded build (7022), this time W7 had decent Realtek drivers, as the audio output wasn't garbled, dismissing the need to install anything from my Asus CD. However, for the motherboard driver CD, a few things (which I eventually didn't need) still refused to install, pretexting they couldn't identify the OS and would only accept either Vista or XP...but since they were pretty unimportant and I coul survive without them, I wouldn't count them as a negative mark against W7. I just wonder whether my older programs will behave similarly and demand an older OS (regardless of the compatibility modes) to install themselves.

Although IE ain't my main browser anymore (I just use it whenever a certain page requires IE or either Opera and Firefox have trouble rendering), I was surprised at how fast IE8 (final build) was - but then again, there was no antivirus and firewall installed to decrease the performance levels. Firefox did okay, too, although I didn't do any benchmarks on either browser to properly discern any difference in performances.

I didn't get the chance to try K-Lite and other third-party media players, though - had to switch back to XP. BTW, the PC configuration icon has gotten really ugly. As for the bootup screen, I expected to see more from Linux Mandriva than W7, but it looks a-okay.
Old 2009-03-30, 10:16   Link #153
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Ok, so, seeing that CCCP wasn't working for me for some reason, I installed the Windows 7 Codec pack (again). WMP works normally here, it opens various mkvs I threw at it. It still has problems with flac, and I don't want to bother creating a new database right now, as I'm using Songbird for music anyway. I can't find any .ogm files to play, but it seems ok on this end.
Old 2009-03-30, 10:26   Link #154
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Question.. When is this Window 7 scheduled to be release? I am planning to have a new computer and if its in a very near future, I might wait for this one so I can get it as its OS .. I'm kinda reluctant to have Vista if possible
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 10:56   Link #155
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Erhm...good question.

Thing is, it is a widespread belief (I think a MS official sort of let it slip at one of those recent tech conventions - maybe I should take a look back at zdnet or one of those torrent sites to retrieve the reference, but I can't recall where exactly did I fish that tidbit) that the Release Candidate will show the tip of its nose somewhere around May, something like that, but the final product will appear later either in late 2009 or the first quarter/half of 2010. Build 7057 was already considered pre-RC, although the naming convention is left to heavy discussion and overall judgment about W7's current state of commercial readiness. We're at 7068 now...and rising.

With the impressive amount of positive feedback the beta's been getting (aside from a few black marks such as the UAC-disabling VB script embarrassment), Microsoft has been pushing the release date forwards, which leads some users to fear for the final build's quality should the folks at Redmond getting overconfident and start slipping up. Hopefully, MS will take some time to finetune W7, as betas chiefly put their focus on stability, whereas between the RC and the final build, they start working on improving performances.

And that's where the last unknown/debate lies: will they take the safe road and take their time polishing their work (which, up to now has been admirable) or will they give in to temptation and the combined voices of the Vista-hating W7-lovers and release Windows 7 ASAP?
Old 2009-03-30, 14:04   Link #156
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Some bad news: Latest beta build of Windows 7 (7057) blocks third party codecs in Windows Media Player and Media Center.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5185390/windows...y-video-codecs
http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...y-video-codecs
If this makes it into the final product, yet another reason for me to stay away from Windows 7, apart from its gimped Classic interface. At least until people have completely defeated this bullshit anyway.

I somehow suspect it's another move to appease Big Content so it can have a "guaranteed" "protected media path".

But then again, that's assuming we can't use third-party players (which I understand you can, with full support for third-party decoders).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
(sigh) Many people use WMP, so during testing of the beta and RCs - its good to know what works and what doesn't before recommending any particular configuration.

Personally, I tend to use MPC...
Though truth be told, I'm biased against WMP to begin with. I consider it to be a privacy leak, not to mention, I don't like its licensing terms. Plus I don't get what the big draw there for other people other than it "looks cool". It has to work first, THEN maybe look cool later.

Quote:
and I've never really settled on a favorite player in linux....
Neither have I, but I tend to favor Xine-lib-based players because it's pretty stable overall, except for H.264 decoding, but the last time I tried that was some years ago. That and it could benefit from a libass transplant, hopefully to better effect than it did for VLC.

--Ian.

Last edited by IRJustman; 2009-03-30 at 14:22. Reason: Added a quote
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 14:15   Link #157
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You use WMP and MC? I would have though you were a CCCP person.
Old 2009-03-30, 15:33   Link #158
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJustman View Post
Though truth be told, I'm biased against WMP to begin with. I consider it to be a privacy leak, not to mention, I don't like its licensing terms. Plus I don't get what the big draw there for other people other than it "looks cool". It has to work first, THEN maybe look cool later.
Aye... I loathe it for the same reasons. Even though I don't use it, the first thing I do is turn every knob OFF and disallow it from browsing my hard drives for "media". Being able to remove it completely in Win7 certainly has my attention. However, other people like what they think is an integrated experience so I need to understand the thing so I can knowledgeably be annoyed with it.

I don't understand the "content provider" appeasement..... *I'm* their customer and I don't want a crippled appliance - I want a computer. Save all the crippling for the Xbox :P The electronics and computing industry is far heavier an industry than the obnoxious "media corporations" ... and its unfortunate that the politicians don't always *get* that.
Old 2009-03-30, 15:53   Link #159
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Hmm... well... I'm not sure what's the problem, but this build seems worse than the 7000 public beta. Leaving WMP and its "updating library" thing aside, my otherwise working codecs (in build 7000) do seem to have some sort of problem. WMP is obviously slower than the 7000 beta one (it seems to drop frames in some videos like crazy for some reason), and MPC just doesn't function as I want it (e.g. Haali Renderer doesn't seem to scale correctly so I had to use WMV9 renderless to get it to play like I want it, and karaoke effects that play in WMP don't appear in MPC - I did have a similar problem in Ubuntu I think). Not sure what they broke, but it seems like something did break in that department and I can't say I'm pleased. I actually stole my favorite Tokyo Wallpaper (from the Windows 7 extra themes) and went back to the slug.
Old 2009-03-30, 16:18   Link #160
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I shouldn't get too worked up over vagaries from build to build. I'd *really* like Win7 to work for the consumer/business so I don't feel like I'm wearing "linux robes" all the time. I love using linux for non-profits and small business for whom the MS licensing is simply too much. But in many instances - MS products are preferable simply because of third party apps that depend on them (and that app is often the ONLY piece of vertical app software for an industry) and there's a level of integration between apps that is hard to approximate.