AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-05, 21:48   Link #2321
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
heaven forbid, PATTON
That reminds me of this post from WoT. The Patton we saw from the movie might now quite be the actual Patton.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 21:54   Link #2322
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
And why do I get the feeling Nonna always has to pull Katyusha's ass out the fire in the end....
Katyusha doesn't seem to be the type listen to anyone, so she probably came up with the plan to use against Ooarai. If she can do so well regularly, I don't think that her ass needs to be pulled out of anything very often.

Quote:
No, the Giveout only specifies that Senshado was established in the 20s, and that since then no men have been allowed to ride in tanks for fear of using them in wars. Nowhere does it say that war never happened (and given its start in the 20s, that meant that World War One was already history).
I think it's more like all tanks were crewed by women. Rommel existed, and he commanded the 7th Panzer division in France and the Afrika Korps in North Africa. Guderian is well known, Montgomery was around and so on.

Quote:
Do take note that Stalingrad itself was a grinding fight of attrition, and NOT a tank battle (as the close-quarter fighting reduced armor mostly useless). A better question is the context of the African campaign between Rommel and Montgomery in this world, since THAT one had tanks figure in a major role.
Actually, plenty of tanks were used by both sides in Stalingrad. Provided they're properly supported by infantry, tanks can perform quite well in urban combat.

Quote:
She said it as they were charging in...so it's most likely a reference to the opening phase of Operation Fischreiher. Which was an armoured drive like most major German assaults.
Erwin was talking about the Winter and Russians and Fischreiher took place in the Summer. But that's the History Club's lack of accuracy for you.

Quote:
Unless Erwin Rommel and Montomery and, heaven forbid, PATTON, were really women in this world. Ditto for Carius, Kolbanov, Abrams, et al.
It's not that hard to resolve: the historical generals were men, and the tankers were women. Although the only country to put women in tanks in real life was the Soviet Union.
Old 2012-12-05, 21:58   Link #2323
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Katyusha doesn't seem to be the type listen to anyone, so she probably came up with the plan to use against Ooarai. If she can do so well regularly, I don't think that her ass needs to be pulled out of anything very often.

Erwin was talking about the Winter and Russians and Fischreiher took place in the Summer. But that's the History Club's lack of accuracy for you.
Talking about someone who needs to be carried to make up for her small stature ww

Or it could be Winter Storm reference also. And well it's infamous how that turned out for the German side
Old 2012-12-05, 22:17   Link #2324
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Or those engagements took place before the ban on men in tanks, just it has been so long since then that the history is messed up to fit the current world view (that men in tanks is bad since they might fight wars with them). This could be a few hundred years in the future and the world suffered some disaster. Afterwards it has taken time to rebuild to early 21st centruy and 20th century technology.

It would make some sense out of the giant City Carriers, cel phones, modern cars, yet 1940s panzers and 74 years of girl's school tank battle tournements.

That or "World War II" was the first years of the girls school tank battle tournements and this takes place roughly now. (74 years ago was 1938).
Old 2012-12-05, 22:36   Link #2325
gaiar31

Spoiler:
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 22:50   Link #2326
4Tran

Quote:
Or it could be Winter Storm reference also. And well it's infamous how that turned out for the German side
All told, I don't think it turned out too badly for the Germans. It forced the Soviets into consolidated the Stalingrad pocket instead of maybe pursuing Big Uranus and cutting off all of Army Group Don. That would have made it the largest defeat suffered by the German Army in World War II.

Winter Storm doesn't really fit with what the History Club was talking about though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Or those engagements took place before the ban on men in tanks, just it has been so long since then that the history is messed up to fit the current world view (that men in tanks is bad since they might fight wars with them). This could be a few hundred years in the future and the world suffered some disaster. Afterwards it has taken time to rebuild to early 21st centruy and 20th century technology.
"Guys and tanks don't really go well together." World War II trivia is widely known and everyone thinks of men as tankers as a weird idea. I doubt that that would be true if there were any male tank aces of note. That poster in Yukari's room would just be her version of a moe tank commander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
That or "World War II" was the first years of the girls school tank battle tournements and this takes place roughly now. (74 years ago was 1938).
They built 50,000 Shermans. You wouldn't need that much unless you were fighting a war.
Old 2012-12-05, 23:06   Link #2327
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
No, the Give out only specifies that Senshado was established in the 20s, and that since then no men have been allowed to ride in tanks for fear of using them in wars.
...funny then tanks were made for???
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 23:13   Link #2328
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Given that WW1 was implied to still happened, for war initially, but by the 20s they were then used for sport when Sensha-do was officially established.
Old 2012-12-05, 23:29   Link #2329
Gravitas Free Zone

Well... this is interesting. Crunchyroll's release, which I just finally watched, didn't have the performance of "Katyusha." I suppose I can chalk this up, like always, to the arcane rites of Japanese licensing.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 23:29   Link #2330
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Given that WW1 was implied to still happened, for war initially, but by the 20s they were then used for sport when Sensha-do was officially established.
Spoiler for Just for safe:
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 23:34   Link #2331
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

We don't know. We've been given a bare sliver to work on, which is why I mentioned how it was clever on the producer's part (as it leaves the audience's imagination to fill in the blanks), but frustrating as well.

It's kind of like the lack of pants in Strike Witches, and how the men in that setting don't even blink anymore at women walking around in panties in public.
Old 2012-12-05, 23:37   Link #2332
vuluc88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
for both war and sport... just like guns nowadays (or bow, or spear, etc.)
vuluc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 23:42   Link #2333
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Well... this is interesting. Crunchyroll's release, which I just finally watched, didn't have the performance of "Katyusha." I suppose I can chalk this up, like always, to the arcane rites of Japanese licensing.
...Seriously?

THEY FAIL THE INTERNETS FOREVER.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 23:53   Link #2334
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
...Seriously?

THEY FAIL THE INTERNETS FOREVER.
When the scene came and cut straight from the "25 rubles" dialogue to the Oarai tanks, I got to re-enact Kay's "WHYYYYYY!!!????" moment.

Speaking of Strike Witches, the first thing I thought of was how Rie Tanaka's performance of "Lili Marlene" in one episode was modified into other songs for the US release. But it doesn't make as much sense that way!
Old 2012-12-06, 00:07   Link #2335
Gravitas Free Zone

Also, I should have thought of this sooner. (Give it a couple of seconds.)
Old 2012-12-06, 00:07   Link #2336
Midonin
Last Engage

Girls & Tanks 08 - [Russian Reversal Joke Goes Here]

Not a whole lot of fanfare for the Sodoko three being promoted to first-tier characters. Well, second tier. But that's better than tertiary. Also, for some reason, the simulcast seemed to be missing that song scene everyone was going on about. The episode's narrative still flowed pretty well, but it's odd that would be omitted. And Kanemoto's character definitely has more shades of Ika than of Yayoi. The desire to appear bigger and tougher than the really are, for one.

I enjoyed the part with the student council, especially for a rare chance to see some of the non-tank stuff Oorai has to offer. Especially the mud wrestling tournament. I propose more anime should have those. Having the fate of the entire school riding on this tournament does raise the stakes somewhat, but I think cooler heads will prevail and Miho's "this is just a game, treat it like one" personality will win the day.

And that's about all I can comment on.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 00:16   Link #2337
garbage

Quote:
seriously? , oh well their loss ^^

and also...why do i suddenly get this urge to name some future daughter , Katyusha , oh well it will pass
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 00:16   Link #2338
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The most surprising thing that could happen?

Moho hitting the Pravda flag tank.
Old 2012-12-06, 00:20   Link #2339
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
They.... WHAT?!?!?!

How the hell can they cut out the best part of the episode?!?!?!

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 00:21   Link #2340
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Speaking of shots, not being a tank expert I have to wonder about the hits done by the Stug III and the Panzer IV on the T-34s this episode. I remember one hitting the front glacis, while the other hitting the side of a turret. Could these be considered disabling shots in a real scenario? Because they sure triggered those white flags quickly.

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks