AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-04-09, 23:25   Link #1
Aaerul

Would a K-on! with male-only cast work?

Would a K-on! with males-only work? Not replicas of the current K-on personalities, but perhaps similar. Would the fangirls buy it? Or perhaps this has already been done in a myriad of different anime, game and manga that I haven't seen?
Aaerul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 23:37   Link #2
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Beck is what that would be maybe?
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 00:20   Link #3
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

I think it would work but I doubt it'll be as popular as the moe-blob anime, K-ON! D:
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 00:50   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate T Harlaown View Post
I think it would work but I doubt it'll be as popular as the moe-blob anime, K-ON! D:
I agree also a male version of their teacher would just be um...
creepy ya .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 01:19   Link #5
Kazu
Flowing

Beck is doing what K-on should be doing, devotion to music, Too bad BECK won't be as famous cause
viewers like to watch cute girls in their gothic lolita dress instead of the music, Well IMO the songs would be great if there were no vocals.
Old 2010-04-10, 01:44   Link #6
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Ouran was like it. Except they were full on tea/host instead of music.
Old 2010-04-10, 02:08   Link #7
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Not anime, but you have Dethklok from Metalocalypse. That's definitely not aimed at the female demographic, though. And the characters are adults and famous.

Last edited by Dilla; 2010-04-10 at 02:38.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 02:08   Link #8
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
If the mirrored male K-on involves guys drinking soda, eating pizza and kebab, headbanging over old Metallica songs and talking about Rocco Siffredi's dick. In other words, slacking off the guys way. I would still watch it.

Then, I would take a perverted delight in everyone's bitching, from the moe dakimakura humpers to the pseudo-intellectuals, because male K-on have turned into Beavis & Butthead IN JAPAN!

Male K-on would have dick fight to decide what's better between punk, grunge, prog, black metal or thrash. Like, "Well yeah, you like Queen you closet homo". And male Sawako = Negishi/Krauser.

And I would watch as a nostalgic metalhead longing for those hours slacking with other metalheads.

Last edited by Sheba; 2010-04-10 at 02:24.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 02:56   Link #9
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
The world of moe does not approve of a gender switch
the yaoi fans probably will but even then the power of moe is much greater than the power of yaoi..

and ooh yes it would probably be Beck s2 if they did
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 03:05   Link #10
iceyfw

you have to look at this from a financial standpoint. is it profitable to even try this when the majority of viewers watching k-on! right now are either male anime otakus or male anime otakus in japan? and i'm aware i repeated that twice!
now why do you think they're so into k-on? is it the beautiful music or the fantastic A-grade script(sarcasm) that made them attracted to it? it is neither. it is the MOE MOE KYUN and the girls themselves with no male characters being around being moe blobs to attract viewers.

now you switch this around and i bet you will see a significant drop in rating on TV stations because the majority of male viewers aren't interested. whatever studio is making k-on! would have to make DRASTIC changes to make sure the male audience doesn't get turned off. it wouldn't be anything like k-on! is RIGHT now. the male characters would really have to be badass with no females hanging around them. i mean, i sure don't want to see guys being all MOE MOE KYUN. and i don't even watch k-on!. the closest you're going to get is probably Beck. sorry, but showing anime with a story and plot revolving around music bands with male characters just ain't japans' thing. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE POWER OF MOE MOE MOE MOE MOE MOE MOE MOE xvegeta's IT'S OVER NINNNNNNEEEEE-THOUSSSSAAAAANNNNNDDDDDDDD!!!!11~

Last edited by iceyfw; 2010-04-10 at 03:26.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 03:10   Link #11
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
it would probably be like Ouran host club.. but then with bands
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 04:07   Link #12
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Sheba takes the cake here. (But don't expect I have one. D: )

K-ON would be an interesting anime if it was how males slack off. BECK is out of the question because just one of them actually has contact with the school world.

I just hope after all that goofing off, they would be just as great with their instruments on.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 04:21   Link #13
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Genderswapped K-on would imply it to stick to the plot-light 4koma atmosphere, with teenager guys doing teenager guys things instead of cute girls doing cute things. This rules out Beck 2.0, Detroit Metal City would be closer. Being badass is not required, instead the protagonists would be over-the-top caricatures of highschool metalheads or rock fans. And I said over-the-top because it will have to win the audience in total opposite way of moe moe kyun.
Old 2010-04-10, 08:24   Link #14
Leo Keichi

Let us make a new project: the Genderbending of K-on! Starring the Afterschool Beer'n'Donuts Band.
Leo Keichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 09:28   Link #15
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Keichi View Post
Let us make a new project: the Genderbending of K-on! Starring the Afterschool Beer'n'Donuts Band.
I'll start the suggestion:

Tainaka Batsu. Favorite bands: The Sex Pistols, Metallica, Sex Machineguns.
VA: Nobuyuki Hiyama
Well, look at the original Ritsu and dare telling me that her male counterpart don't scream nekketsu.

Akiyama Kyo. Favorite bands: Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Ellegarden. VA: Yuichi Nakamura
A grungy pretty boy who looks damn good in every rock or metal style to the point that even guys want him. Much to his irritation. Also, Alto-hime.

Kotobuki Tsutomu. Favorite bands: Queen, Dream Theater, X Japan. VA: Mamoru Miya or Jun Fukuyama.

I see him as rather manipulative in a subtle way. Also he hangs around the club because they do not actively seek to be in his good graces like other students always did.

Hirasawa Ryu. Favorite bands: Oasis, U2, Spitz. VA: Tatsuya Kakihara
Soft-spoken, clumsy, well-meaning, easily distracted but tenacious can describe this boy whose more reliable sibling is named Yu.

Nakano Azuma. Favorite bands: Liquid Tension Experiment, Opeth, Siam Shade. VA: *tough one, fill the blank*

The cute shota but also the most serious when it comes to music. Seeing his fellow club members slacking their days on sandwiches, sodas and gravure models magazine just irritates him.

Yamanaka-sensei. Favorite bands: Scoobie Do, Emperor (the norwegians). VA: Takehito Koyasu

What happen when your teacher, swooned over by ALL girls, used to be a star in the underground black metal milieu. Singing songs about orgies, women's sexual enslavement and the fall & rape of angels.

Last edited by Sheba; 2010-04-10 at 09:45.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 09:48   Link #16
HigurashinoUmineko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post

Nakano Azuma. Favorite bands: Liquid Tension Experiment, Opeth, Siam Shade. VA: *tough one, fill the blank*

The cute shota but also the most serious when it comes to music. Seeing his fellow club members slacking their days on sandwiches, sodas and gravure models magazine just irritates him.
Perhaps For Azuma he could be voiced by Soichiro Hoshi or Akira Ishida? I'm just making a suggestion.
HigurashinoUmineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 09:56   Link #17
Unellmay

No I would be awful
Unellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 10:24   Link #18
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

BLUE BISHOUNEN GHETTO!

I wouldn't completely rule out the idea of a genderbent version of K-on being sucessful financially. Of course the budget would be much lower then a KyoAni moe moe version, maybe the budget of Kuroshitsuji. It'll just a yaoi-bait instead of the current moe moe yuri-bait.

But I can't really see it as successful as the current k-on.
Old 2010-04-10, 10:33   Link #19
Unellmay

Actually it would just be extremely gay just imagine little boys sitting around a club room drinking tea together

Detroit metal city is already the manly metal rock version of K-on! anyway
Unellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 11:10   Link #20
Gordy Lechance

Here is the fundamental problem with a gender-flip adaptation:

K-ON works because it is an openly emotional, sentimental and above all heartwarming series.

Males being the primary target audience notwithstanding, having girls as a proxy through which we can experience their world of adorable sweetness allows us a safe distance that will not threaten the unsentimental and unfeeling masculinity that westernized modern society expects us to uphold.

There is no innocence left in modern masculinity, and a gender flipped cast acting happy, sweet and idealistic will be jeered, booed and hissed as camp-gay by our hateful homophobic mass media and otaku alike at best....

... and it will give CNN's Anime-hating slander machine more ammunition to mock our community.

Unless you change the fundamentals of what the show is about and have it as Fist of the North Star with guitars...

...and the result would NOT be pretty, as the following images shows:

Anybody still want a male K-ON?