Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-21, 01:56   Link #161
Aristophanes
I have returned

Send a message via MSN to Aristophanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Last I heard it was destined for a full-year run with a number like 48 episodes being bandied about.
Same, but then I've also seen a 12 episode run mentioned at one of the blogs which makes no sense to me since it seems to have relatively slow pacing.

Anyway I'm loving this show at the moment. Realistic interactions, well drawn characters, and an inspiring story? All check.
Aristophanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 02:21   Link #162
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
Same, but then I've also seen a 12 episode run mentioned at one of the blogs which makes no sense to me since it seems to have relatively slow pacing.

Anyway I'm loving this show at the moment. Realistic interactions, well drawn characters, and an inspiring story? All check.
The 12 episodes thing has long been fixed, check the news on ANN again. Any blog that posted that is very wrong.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 22:36   Link #163
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Spoiler for episode four:
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 22:43   Link #164
leokiko

Quote:
Spoiler for episode four:
It felt like filler because the director added a lot of scenes that weren't in the manga and it moved really slow. This further proves that this is going to be 48 episodes. I just hope it picks up though.

Anyway, this episode was more like an slice-and-life(i.e nothing really happening) with Mutta being awesome. In other words, an great episode anyway.
Old 2012-04-21, 22:51   Link #165
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

episode 4, didn't feel so moon man. lol.

Still pretty good, but a drop compared to the first three episodes. Also, I definitely lmao at his interview response. I can somewhat relate when you just gotta bullshit at a question. haha.
Old 2012-04-22, 10:45   Link #166
Utsuro no Hako

Felt like they didn't have enough material from the testing stage for another full episode, yet they didn't want to jump to Houston halfway through the episode.

Next week: Anime set in America. This is always good for a laugh.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 12:48   Link #167
Kirarakim

I couldn't tell what was filler or not but I really liked the episode.

Anyways as far as characters go as much as I am enjoying Mutta, Hibito, and Kenji, I am just absolutely loving Serika. It's just fantastic to get an adult female character in anime, & although she might be a love interest she has her own inspirations and dreams & even quirks. I really have to applaud the series for this.
Old 2012-04-22, 12:57   Link #168
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Wouldn't it be a shock if it turns out Serika is engaged or married even? I noticed that at least one of the "babes" floating around with Hibito in the plane is married. I'm pretty sure we'll find that Serika is single, though.

Just yesterday on Wait! Wait!, Don't Tell Me, there was an interview with science writer Mary Roach on issues facing space travelers, including a very funny story about testing an important component of the spacecraft on one of those zero-G plane rides.
Old 2012-04-22, 13:55   Link #169
ookamigirl

All the test and interviews are over.
Going to US to stay with his bro.
Wonder if his dream will come true...

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 14:41   Link #170
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Wouldn't it be a shock if it turns out Serika is engaged or married even? I noticed that at least one of the "babes" floating around with Hibito in the plane is married. I'm pretty sure we'll find that Serika is single, though.
I think so as well, I don't remember seeing a ring on her finger...there's one in Kenji's finger though, for some reason I just noticed it this episode when he gave Mutta the phone numbers.
Old 2012-04-22, 15:20   Link #171
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That really didn't feel slow or fillerish to me - I guess because it's that sort of interior stuff that defines the show for me.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 21:31   Link #172
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
I think so as well, I don't remember seeing a ring on her finger...there's one in Kenji's finger though, for some reason I just noticed it this episode when he gave Mutta the phone numbers.
Somebody over on ANN spotted that as well. I'll just point out that we see that same left hand clearly displayed on screen during Kenji's interview, and there is no ring to be seen. Either he's hiding his marital status from the committee, which seems unlikely, or it's a continuity error. Or the director chose to have him wear his ring just when he gives Mutta the address list including, of course, Serika-san's. Showing the ring in that scene tells the audience he's probably not going to compete with Mutta for the hand of the lovely Serika. Good news for our curly-haired friend.

You know, I bet Serika would have enjoyed a chance to accompany Mutta to Houston. Of course, we wouldn't want to put her too close to Hibito. She was less enthusiastic about the autograph than that fangirl, but she definitely was interested.
Old 2012-04-22, 21:40   Link #173
leokiko

Well, seeing Mutta in a cowboy hat will be fun, lol.
Old 2012-04-23, 07:29   Link #174
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
You know, I bet Serika would have enjoyed a chance to accompany Mutta to Houston. Of course, we wouldn't want to put her too close to Hibito. She was less enthusiastic about the autograph than that fangirl, but she definitely was interested.
He needs a bit more mojo before he's worthy.

4 may have been a bit light but more happened in it than 2 for me. Getting Hibito back into the mix somewhat is a good thing - seeing the bros back together should make for some interesting banter. And maybe seeing Hibito in action will give Mutta the zest needed to grasp the whole scenario with a bit more conviction. All leading up to a reunion with Serika in one of those akward timing yet sweet moments, maybe.

Fave moment of the series is still from Ep3 when Mutta was trying to catch his reflection in the spacesuit then Serika tries it herself moments later.

The real hook for me for the show is the ambition within a harsh career field. It has been noted civil servant jobs are the most aimed for within Japan and that aspirations of getting a high-end job is too implausible in modern economic times. Seeing someone that has forgotten their dream, been kicked down by life, but despite their age, is willing to take one more shot at that seemingly impossible dream - that's insatiable. Mutta is human, makes mistakes, has amusing moments and cravings. In times of apathy and cynicism in an increasingly grim world, Space Brothers is cutting through with some much needed drive and feel-good vibe.

And I just realised...Miyuki Sawashiro as Serika?! Oh wow...Serika and Fujiko in the same season? Bliss....
Old 2012-04-23, 12:10   Link #175
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Definitely an improvement over last week, however I still have some reservations going forward to go with feelings of renewed optimism around the shows potential. It seems like this show is going to be 50% about Mutta's quest to catch up to Hibito and Hibito 's helping him to get there and 50% about Mutta's sort of romantic comedy storyline with Serika. Frankly I could not possibly care less about the latter which again just feels so typically cliche Hollywood in how unnecessary it is to the overall premise (Hollywood loves putting in cliched love stories that sap the focus from what one would expect to be the natural focus of a story...see Pearl Harbour), but since Mutta is going to America anyway hopefully Serika is out of the picture for now and we can focus more on the sibling bonding/rivalry and space dynamic. Shows called Space Bros after all and that's kind of what I expect it to be most about.

One thing I did find really interesting was that apparently our Little Miss Perfect isn't actually the top candidate, but it's some other guy who we haven't even met but probably will be a rival for Mutta at some point. Thank god they did this so that she be at least somewhat more believable and potentially actually have something to strive for instead of just continuing to overachieve throughout the show. I know I keep beating this point into the ground a bit, but the character had and to some extent still has me legitimately worried about the future of the show. I can only hope they continue to bring her more down to Earth. Her asking Mutta if he can get Hibito's autograph was also interesting and probably hints at why she has shown such an interest in Mutta which he takes to be her being interested him, but I take to be her having an interest in Hibito, possibly an idolization of his achievements and a desire to emulate him and Mutta being her gateway to meeting Hibito. Pursue these angles down the line and her character has the potential to become far more complex and less cloyingly perfect.

All that said I still can't help but feel that how they handle the Serika character in the future and her relationship with Mutta is absolutely going to make or break this show for me since she's obvious the heroine of the story and designate love interest and therefore going to play a big part in the remaining 46 episodes. Good thing in the meantime I'm absolutely loving designate future best friend Kenji and his personality. Guy's easily one of the top bros of the season.

edit: One last thing, I kind of agree that this episode felt a little fillerish. I think it's that we've basically been retreading the same ground for 4 episodes now. Mutta is down on his luck and has zero confidence, Kenji is trying to help him out and support him as is Hibito, and Serika is the object of everyone in the shows affection. It's long past time we moved on from these plot points so I'm glad we're finally headed to America next week.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 19:10   Link #176
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Uchuu Kyoudai still chugs along with a healthy 3.1 rating this week. I doubt this show will generate much in the way of merchandise sales, except perhaps for some rocket models, so solid viewer ratings are obviously important. Maybe they'll generate some more sales for the manga as well.

How about a Serika figurine with an optional space suit to dress her in? Suppose that would sell?
Old 2012-04-23, 19:44   Link #177
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

So thoughtful of the brother to bring Mutta over. If only my brother were the same. :Heh:

Now I just hope that won't be the last we see of Serika for a long while. C'mon Mutta, you know you want to give her a call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
And I just realised...Miyuki Sawashiro as Serika?! Oh wow...Serika and Fujiko in the same season? Bliss....
Yeah, on one hand you got your average plain jane, and on the other you've got the quite possibly the 'skankiest' heroine in all of anime history. Funny, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
i m surprised that somebody hasn't yet make a Kamen Rider Fourze joke reference considering this series's setting
Funny you mention Fourze, as it's because of me looking up Jaxa due to this show, that I learned about the osananajimi over at that Tokatsu show. Probably nothing will happen ala Goseiger, but damn, Yuki over there busted my moe metre.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 00:43   Link #178
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Uchuu Kyoudai still chugs along with a healthy 3.1 rating this week. I doubt this show will generate much in the way of merchandise sales, except perhaps for some rocket models, so solid viewer ratings are obviously important. Maybe they'll generate some more sales for the manga as well.

How about a Serika figurine with an optional space suit to dress her in? Suppose that would sell?
The dog. Everyone wants the dog in the space suit.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 08:15   Link #179
Kirarakim

I've been thinking about this series and I realized it is very similar to One Piece (and I don't just mean because it has two seiyuu who are also in the main cast of OP)

I remember reading that there was a special on One Piece why it is resonated with so many adults; because in the recession when a lot of people are being told it's more important to get a job than to follow your dreams..One Piece goes against that. That is a series essentially about following your dreams even after you went through a crises & might have given up on those dreams.

Uchuu Kyoudai essentially has the same theme running out. Yes obviously the two series have very different worlds. But Uchuu Kyodai is of course also about following your dreams even later in life when a lot of people are probably settled and have given up on their dreams. Hence it is saying it is never too late to follow those dreams. It is a very nice thought and again it is very resonating in this time of unemployment & recession. I think people like hopeful stories like that.
Old 2012-04-28, 22:46   Link #180
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Geesh, Mutta, you're in America now. Rent a car already! Glad that random American he asked directions from in the airport spoke Japanese.

Actually I was surprised Hibito didn't meet him at the airport, but then it doesn't look like he has a car either. I haven't been in Houston since the eighties, but you certainly couldn't go very far without an automobile. (Of course, then it was the height of the oil boom, and you couldn't go anywhere in Houston with a car either, at least during rush hour.)

The scene with the thumb and moon is from Apollo 13. It seemed odd that they didn't mention the movie by name. You'd think both brothers would have watched it quite a few times growing up and known most of it by heart.

I noticed the closing song had hiragana in the lyrics on screen. I guess they are expecting that kids will be watching this at 7:00 am on Sundays.

Tags
science fiction, seinen