AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-01, 07:31   Link #421
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
At that stage, Alto's chance of banging Sheryl = 0%, Chance of banging Ranka... well higher than 0% that's for sure, lol! In that situation I'll rather be checking out Ranka too.
Still, all information supplied in episode 1 showed that Alto was not at all impressed with Sheryl. In fact, I think he looks down on her even when the rest of the population was starstruck. Alto seemed to consider her celebrity-status a turn-off.
Old 2008-01-01, 07:52   Link #422
Westlo
Lets be reality

Maybe he's not into pop music, maybe his letter to her fan club didn't get a reply and he's become scorned Who knows lol, will probably find out later on anyway.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 07:54   Link #423
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Still, all information supplied in episode 1 showed that Alto was not at all impressed with Sheryl. In fact, I think he looks down on her even when the rest of the population was starstruck. Alto seemed to consider her celebrity-status a turn-off.
Just let him spend a day alone with her, i'm sure his opinions on her will do a 180 --- you know how it goes.

That or she'll call him a princess.
Old 2008-01-01, 08:01   Link #424
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
At that stage, Alto's chance of banging Sheryl = 0%, Chance of banging Ranka... well higher than 0% that's for sure, lol! In that situation I'll rather be checking out Ranka too.
Ranka chances are higher imo.

Alto gets an emotional boost for saving Ranka and Ranka gets one for being saved by Alto. Then there's the protective big bro. He had a heart attack when he saw her dressed like that at the concert. He won't be too against Alto now.

Yep, a few emotionally charged minutes fearing for your life in a cockpit together alone and Alto x Ranka will be almost assured.

While thoughts of Sheryl only produces a scowl, thoughts of Ranka produces a warm smile. That's the best clue for who he likes currently imo. The brooding types need a kind type to balance them imo.

Besides, the older chick won the last time. It would be a disappointment if Ranka lost out imo.

Isn't Ranka more popular so far in R2?
Old 2008-01-01, 08:05   Link #425
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Just let him spend a day alone with her, i'm sure his opinions on her will do a 180 --- you know how it goes.
If anything, I suspect that Sheryl is more likely to fall in love with him than the other way around. Alto is a bishonen after all.

Unless there is a secret heart-of-gold side to Sheryl, I think she would have to do the chasing. She might be famous and successful, but I think Alto is better off with someone more down-to-earth like Ranka. Maybe it's because I don't like the air of arrogance around her?
EDIT: Just to clarify, I believe Sheryl valued herself so highly that she probably can't consider Alto her equal. At best she would treat him like an accessory, to hang on her arm while walking down the red carpet pass the paparazzi. That is not a healthy relationship. And since Alto is not a fan of hers to begin with, that just aren't going to fly with him.
Old 2008-01-01, 08:10   Link #426
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
While thoughts of Sheryl only produces a scowl, thoughts of Ranka produces a warm smile. That's the best clue for who he likes currently imo. The brooding types need a kind type to balance them imo.

Hikaru and Misa didn't exactly get off to the best start either lol. I don't suppose anyone can sum up the general impression Macross Frontier has made on 2ch?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 08:20   Link #427
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post

That or she'll call him a princess.
Well, as the series goes on, of course their opinions will slightly change, otherwise Sheryl will have zero chance in the love triangle. But at this point, I don't see much changes in the overall opinions of each other, looking at the kind of remarks that filled the 2nd episode preview.

The most important factor would be how Alto matures, imo. Right now, his 'what the hell am I doing here' attitude despite him not even being the very best, and in is an environment where he'd have his chances sooner or later is signs that he's not being very mature on certain things.

Besides, frankly, I see Alto's non-chalant disinterest in Sheryl whatsoever as an implication story-wise that while Sheryl may have countless fans across the galaxy and is possibly the next Sharon Apple, her songs will never move the hearts of people and will never be the next Lyn Minmei.

Quote:
Alto gets an emotional boost for saving Ranka and Ranka gets one for being saved by Alto. Then there's the protective big bro. He had a heart attack when he saw her dressed like that at the concert. He won't be too against Alto now.
I think anyone would've been surprised if they saw a relative of their getting more than a passing camera spotlight plus being zoomed at an idol's concert.

Quote:
Just to clarify, I believe Sheryl valued herself so highly that she probably can't consider Alto her equal. At best she would treat him like an accessory, to hang on her arm while walking down the red carpet pass the paparazzi. That is not a healthy relationship. And since Alto is not a fan of hers to begin with, that just aren't going to fly with him.
The most conventional, and simple drama executions for these kind of conditions is to be humbled. With Sheryl's pride in herself, she'd probably take it quite strongly if she gets herself somewhat upstaged by... say, Ranka.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 08:30   Link #428
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
If anything, I suspect that Sheryl is more likely to fall in love with him than the other way around. Alto is a bishonen after all.
Ah yes that would make a lot more sense, and quite frankly what i'd love to see. At the moment we've only seen a rather cold side from Sheryl (yeah i know it's only been on episode), you said it best, 'the air of arrogance'. I am very much for seeing a more cute/in love side to her character --- just thinking about it isn't enough.
Old 2008-01-01, 08:36   Link #429
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
The most important factor would be how Alto matures, imo. Right now, his 'what the hell am I doing here' attitude despite him not even being the very best, and in is an environment where he'd have his chances sooner or later is signs that he's not being very mature on certain things..
Well, it is a restrictive environment for him and he has nothing to fight for or hold him to the colony. Only now he has Ranka to "protect". He belongs in space imo as a fighter pilot. The distance between #1 and #2 could only be a decimal point away and Michael would still twist that knife imo.

I think that Michael secretly has feelings for Alto. This "princess" stuff ain't normal conversation imo.

Quote:
The most conventional, and simple drama executions for these kind of conditions is to be humbled. With Sheryl's pride in herself, she'd probably take it quite strongly if she gets herself somewhat upstaged by... say, Ranka.
I was thinking that Ranka was going to be the upstaging idol too since that camera did linger on her, unless of course Alto was operating the camera.
Sheryl is probably at the end of her lifespan as an idol singer imo. She looks old imo.
Old 2008-01-01, 08:46   Link #430
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Well, it is a restrictive environment for him and he has nothing to fight for or hold him to the colony. Only now he has Ranka to "protect". He belongs in space imo as a fighter pilot. The distance between #1 and #2 could only be a decimal point away and Michael would still twist that knife imo.

I think that Michael secretly has feelings for Alto. This "princess" stuff ain't normal conversation imo.
It is restrictive, but for a boy his age (( 16 )), it's something normal people deal with. Nobody escapes education, and it's not like he's not studying something out of his wishes. Likewise, it's not like he's the best in his academy or a super-genius on piloting in paper , and somehow deserves to graduate early so that he can freely join the military or whatever he wants to, while still underage.

It's not like he's making genuine efforts to make a difference for his dream. At least it doesn't seem that way, considering how he's still no.2 behind Michel, despite being somewhat boastful of his abilities. At this point, he seems to be more 'emo-and-complain', rather than 'work-hard-in-the-present-for-my-future.'

Quote:
I was thinking that Ranka was going to be the upstaging idol too since that camera did linger on her, unless of course Alto was operating the camera.
Sheryl is probably at the end of her lifespan as an idol singer imo. She looks old imo.
Sheryl's 17.

Princess is 16, and Ranka is 15.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-01-01, 09:05   Link #431
orion

Quote:

Sheryl's 17.

Princess is 16, and Ranka is 15.

Life must have been hard on Sheryl. She looks older than her stated age imo.

So how old is Michael? He seems too full of himself imo.

Does alphabetic listing have an effect here? I remember in His and Her Circumstances that was the perpetual dilemma . No matter if you score the same as your rival, the alphabetic listing protocol will list you second.
Old 2008-01-01, 09:17   Link #432
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
So how old is Michael? He seems too full of himself imo.
Most likely 16 as well. And he earned it anyway, being no.1 and overall leader.

Old 2008-01-01, 09:47   Link #433
winter45

Quote:
So is Ranka part Zentradi?
No i dont think so, the only feature that might give away possible some zentradi blood is her green hair, but thats not even solid evidence.

With M7 the pointy ears are the dead give away for either half or full Zentradi. So i believe Michael with his pointy ears may suggest his half or full zentradi.

Last edited by winter45; 2008-01-01 at 09:47. Reason: deleted a paragraph
winter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 10:54   Link #434
winter45

I would like to also point out another possible explanation y Alto has hard feelings against Sheryl that may be indirectly.

As we all know already from Alto character that he is quite a seriouse person as well as to have alot of passion for flying. So at the begginning of his introduction we can see he is trying to do manuevers that later will be used at sheryls concert. So while he has his seriouse side at full effect for the corkscrew manuever we can hear an annoucement of sheryls arrival which caused his friends to quickly ran over to see Lukas laptop or whatever it is, and visibly made Alto annoyed that his friends arnt paying the proper attention to the flight details.

So already his annoyed with sheryls arrival which caused his friends to be distracted to ignore him of what he believes is important. (Strike 1)

Then after, we shortly see him flying above the sky with his folded up sheryl paperplane in his hands going towards a Floating BILLBOARD with Sheryls Face all over it while her music is playing. He made a verbal notion by saying *the sky is so low* with annoyed face showing with sheryls face reflecting on his visor. So once again Alto is indirectly annoyed with sheryls presence (strike 2)

Then later we hear in the park that the corkscrew manuever was not allowed to be used, and if you watch carefully Alto has a poster of sheryl in his hands with an annoyed face starring at it. So i *believe* once again he may have hard feelings towards sheryl indirectly once again. (strike 3)

So at this point i wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt give a damn about her or who she is. She already indirectly kinda killed his day.

Later on at the concert while doing his flying recording thing we do hear him say
*what makes her the galactic fairy* so giving my anaylisis i think he doesnt think much about her but doesnt help that the whole day is kinda ruined by her indirectly.

But i dont need to comment about the part where sheryl is leaving the concert. That scene says it all.

But this is just another possibility that i havnt seen brought up about alto reaction towards sheryl.

Mind you english isnt my first language so this is very hard to explain what im trying to say so hopefully my explanation isnt incomprehensable. If anyone wishes to elaborate you are more than welcome.
winter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 14:46   Link #435
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
you know, one of the reasons for open top colony city ships, is that eventually when they make planet fall, the city ship will installed/dismantled on the planet surface as the capital.

And an open top design makes the whole process simple, yet at the same time retain some form of forcefield protection.

The lid is an extreme precaution, if they had not underestimated the advance of the enemy, they would of had the lid closed.

I've only rarely seen it closed, i can't remember when i saw it closed, i don't think i saw it in macross 7, must of been in one of the manga's I've read.

and like someone said, its all psychology open lid gives the perception of freedom, plus i suspect air traffic within the fleet flows better, it won't be bottlenecked if it had a permanent top.

and yeah i suspected ranka to be part zentradi too, the green hair, while most anime throw green hair women/men all over the place without a reason, in the Macross Universe its more or less consistent.

Green hair = zentradi blood
Old 2008-01-01, 15:16   Link #436
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post

Green hair = zentradi blood
So that would make Ranka Zentradi?
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 15:34   Link #437
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
So that would make Ranka Zentradi?
That's what we are suspecting, yes. But that wouldn't affect the plot other than conveniently maintaining continuity. Having naturally green hair in Macross Frontier shouldn't, and doesn't, appear to be relevant to anyone. It showed that old war wounds had truly healed. The Zentradi were an important race in the Macross mythology, and it is only fair that their presence is represented by a major character.
Old 2008-01-01, 16:40   Link #438
ZODDGUTS

Wonder why her brother doesn't have green hair as well maybe he isn't related to her? Or that not all mixed Zentradi's need to have green hair and pointy ears.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 16:44   Link #439
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Wonder why her brother doesn't have green hair as well maybe he isn't related to her? Or that not all mixed Zentradi's need to have green hair and pointy ears.
They don't need to have the same color hair to be related you know --- both their mother and father might have different hair color. It probably works that way.
Old 2008-01-01, 16:45   Link #440
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Besides, the older chick won the last time. It would be a disappointment if Ranka lost out imo.

What's so disappointing about that? Misa is simply the right woman for Hikaru with all things considered. I did kind of feel sorry for Minmei at that time, especially in DYRL, but it would've been also disappointing, more so even, if it went the other way around.

As for Sheryl here, being that this is how her character is portrayed at the beginning, I can only suspect that this will either develop further or change over time. Something significant is just begging to happen—unless of course, if the series proves to be not that concerned with a love triangle that much. The situation here is kind of like a "reverse" Minmei. The guy actually isn't enamored with her idol appeal.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, romance