AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-12-27, 05:01   Link #41
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

A nice scan from the Feb 2009 issue of the Megami magazine:

The arts look interesting, and with Mizuki Nana + Hirano Aya (and Tomatsu Haruka...) in the cast I won't miss to check this one out.
Old 2008-12-28, 05:40   Link #42
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

Before accusations of White Album ripping off "Macross Frontier" start flying around, I must state that White Album was an eroge made by Leaf, way back in 1998. Not to mention the idea of love triangles and catfights have been around since… ok, I have no idea, but all the same, please look forward to White Album.
*I hope this show will be popular enough,at least "Nana Mizuki" is idol.
http://www.last.fm/music/%E6%B0%B4%E...A5%88%E3%80%85
1,641,509 plays at last.fm
Bathory Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 10:42   Link #43
Westlo
Lets be reality

Like it or not it's going to get compared to Macross, since it's essential Macross sans mechas and Macross has been doing the pop idol triangles since 1982 in many variations and is a hugely influential anime title.

That being said it would be silly to say it's ripping off Macross and I doubt we'll see that said here, if anything it's going to attract the Frontier crowd from these forums.

Edit - Been listening to the radio rip of the full version of Mizki's OP "Shinai" (thanks hashihime/Karou for linking it on your blog's winter preview). Liking what I'm hearing, looking forward to the OP sequence.

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-12-28 at 11:52.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 12:27   Link #44
Mazryonh

What did they do to Shinozuka Yayoi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post

Even after a decade, the characters still does not look anything like the University Students like they are. I suppose because the remake still falls under the same original chara designer.
Can anyone tell me who originally designed the characters in the original VN? I know the same VN worked on the characters for the original To Heart game. And yes, I saw an English review that said "I don't like how the character designer makes most of the girls look like underage girls. They may look cute, but they certainly don't look their ages."

And I must say I'm extremely disappointed in how they "ported over" Shinozuka Yayoi's design from the original game. She was probably the best-looking of the White Album girls from the original game (partly because she was the most mature-looking among them). Here's a link to something in which I believe highlights her beauty well:

http://www.hlj.com/cgi-perl/tanoue/f...Page=0&Style=0

In short, "Yayoi is subtly sexy, without baring more than her face and hands." I cannot say the same of her anime incarnation, here:

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000...26477/img.html

Did anyone here play the original game? I doubt very much that it would ever be translated here by Peach Princess, since it'd be pretty impossible that they could claim that a loli like Mizuki Mana in this game is "actually over 18 years old." I'd definitely like to learn about how Yayoi's route in the game went.
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 12:49   Link #45
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathory Area View Post
Before accusations of White Album ripping off "Macross Frontier" start flying around, I must state that White Album was an eroge made by Leaf, way back in 1998. Not to mention the idea of love triangles and catfights have been around since… ok, I have no idea, but all the same, please look forward to White Album.
*I hope this show will be popular enough,at least "Nana Mizuki" is idol.
http://www.last.fm/music/%E6%B0%B4%E...A5%88%E3%80%85
1,641,509 plays at last.fm
I was wondering why this post looked sooooo familiar. Then I realized you ripped off the first paragraph from a post in my team's blog.

So, please, if you want to use another person's work, at least god damn paraphrase to avoid others from exposing you as a hack.
dodgethis_sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 13:52   Link #46
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
And I must say I'm extremely disappointed in how they "ported over" Shinozuka Yayoi's design from the original game. She was probably the best-looking of the White Album girls from the original game (partly because she was the most mature-looking among them). Here's a link to something in which I believe highlights her beauty well:

In short, "Yayoi is subtly sexy, without baring more than her face and hands." I cannot say the same of her anime incarnation, here:

If you ask me, this is more modernization than anything else. The original look is very much a sign of the times, and that sort of look has fallen out of favour in recent years. The new look is much more contemporary and modern. So I don't find it all that surprising that they've changed the look given that the anime is being released 10+ years after the game. (I mean seriously, just look at those late-90s character designs! Yikes!)

Quote:
Did anyone here play the original game? I doubt very much that it would ever be translated here by Peach Princess, since it'd be pretty impossible that they could claim that a loli like Mizuki Mana in this game is "actually over 18 years old."
This has never stopped them from localizing pretty much whatever game they wanted before (including characters with much younger-looking character designs). The main reason they won't translate it is because it's by Leaf, and therefore is $$$$$ to license. Because the margins on these types of products are so low, they'll only bring over works from some of the less-mainstream makers (who are less likely to have their works adapted into mainstream anime).
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 14:42   Link #47
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
If you ask me, this is more modernization than anything else. The original look is very much a sign of the times, and that sort of look has fallen out of favour in recent years. The new look is much more contemporary and modern. So I don't find it all that surprising that they've changed the look given that the anime is being released 10+ years after the game.
Even if the designs are out of place, I find it a pity that they didn't capture the spirit of Yayoi's original character design very well. Her "subtle sexiness" is missing entirely from her new incarnation.

I recently took a gander at the new designs for the remake of the game and I can't say I like Kawata Hisashi's new designs for Morikawa Yuki and Rina Ogata. Now they look too much like Sasara from To Heart 2. Do you think you could tell me who drew the originals?

And did you play the game yourself? I seem to remember the protagonist being one of the most hated amongst the eroge fandom (on Wikipedia, no less), 3rd to the protagonists of KimiNozo and School Days--is that because choosing anyone other than Morikawa Yuki in the game will result in a bad ending or something?

As for localizing this game in English, I played Yume Miru Kusuri recently, and I could believe that Aeka and Nekoko were that wiry despite being "over 18," because they were malnourished. I doubt I could ever believe Mizuki Mana being 18 or over (do you know what excuse the writers gave him to get her ending in the original eroge?).
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 15:46   Link #48
rg4619

Quote:
I seem to remember the protagonist being one of the most hated amongst the eroge fandom (on Wikipedia, no less), 3rd to the protagonists of KimiNozo and School Days--is that because choosing anyone other than Morikawa Yuki in the game will result in a bad ending or something?
I'm not sure how an ending would affect one's perception of a character. I think the best bet might be to consider why many people criticize Makoto Itou or Takayuki Narumi (particularly with regard to their romantic relationships and how they affect those around them).

Quote:
I recently took a gander at the new designs for the remake of the game and I can't say I like Kawata Hisashi's new designs for Morikawa Yuki and Rina Ogata. Now they look too much like Sasara from To Heart 2. Do you think you could tell me who drew the originals?
It seems that Hisashi Kawata drew the original designs too. As relentlessflame says, few illustrations from the 90s would go well with current tastes (i.e. back then, I really liked the art for Tokimeki Memorial and Sentimental Graffiti, but now I'm wondering what the heck I'd been smoking).

Last edited by rg4619; 2008-12-28 at 15:57.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 04:08   Link #49
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Well well, this seems fairly interesting.

More so than much else premiering this season.

Worth a look at least.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 07:16   Link #50
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Did anyone here play the original game? I doubt very much that it would ever be translated here by Peach Princess, since it'd be pretty impossible that they could claim that a loli like Mizuki Mana in this game is "actually over 18 years old." I'd definitely like to learn about how Yayoi's route in the game went.
Let's just say she's the kind of manager who will stop at nothing to get what she wants. That's include offering herself up to the protagonist to ensure that he stay away from Yuki so that she can concerntrate on her career.

Of course, things all went to hell when the paparazzi starts to dig up all the juicy details....
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 09:43   Link #51
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Then you must watch some of Daughter of Twenty Faces, or even of Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka, or the episodes of NANA where Aya appears as Layla. Those are all fairly reserved and quiet characters.
Well Layla was supposed to be reserved while Hirano Aya made her sound totally over the top dramatic like all the time, if you ask me. Now in the Daughter of Twenty Faces she surprised me very pleasantly.

Quote:
"Romance in Macross" is one of the most depressing threads I've ever participated in (big mistake).
Actually I would say it was depressing just to read it.

Quote:
Let's just say she's the kind of manager who will stop at nothing to get what she wants. That's include offering herself up to the protagonist to ensure that he stay away from Yuki so that she can concerntrate on her career.
And that's the character voiced by Paku Romi who looks totally hot in the pics on the official site...Hmm, I think I might try this series after all.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 08:42   Link #52
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Lookie what I found during Spring Cleaning today :-

Unfixed non-replical garage kit from Wonder Festival 2005 which I have totally forgotten about. I can't paint for shit, so do people here think I should pay a pro to fix 'em up ?
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 09:55   Link #53
animekritik

Hopefully this will be good, and if it isn't, well, it'll be mercifully short..
Old 2009-01-02, 04:40   Link #54
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Quote:

Perhaps it's just me, but I find the new look way, way better. I don't really like the old hairstyle that clearly requires litres of hair gel. I don't know anything about the game but this new Yayoi looks like a real office tiger.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 12:46   Link #55
mandarb916

dammit...missed ep1 by about 1hr
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 15:56   Link #56
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
I def. do wanna see this. Char designs look really great. can't wait till first ep comes out whenever that is
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 19:07   Link #57
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
This certainly seems interesting, to say the least... and then when I found out that nana Mizuki is voicing a role, this series became a keeper.

One of the (possibly) few good things coming out over winter

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 03:17   Link #58
rose-wisteria
~Cuteness is NOT a Crime~

Send a message via AIM to rose-wisteria Send a message via MSN to rose-wisteria Send a message via Yahoo to rose-wisteria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Well Layla was supposed to be reserved while Hirano Aya made her sound totally over the top dramatic like all the time, if you ask me.
If this is true, it explains EXACTLY why I prefer Reira in the anime over manga. >hate manga Reira very much<

Anyways, I'm planning on watching and blogging White Album because I'm a romance/drama addict. Thanks for the info everyone. I can't wait to hear Nana Mizuki's voice again.

Minnie's Blog- My thoughts, my stories.
Hey, Say, Anime!- My anime blog with a group of writers.
rose-wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 12:30   Link #59
mandarb916

Most cases and purposes, I can't stand crummy voice acting. Figured I'd give Hirano Aya another shot, but it's still the same ole poor and uninspired VAing from when she debuted...almost as bad as the acting in Lemon Angel Project. Mizuki Nana was alright, but overall, the vaing is pretty average across the board.

The animation itself was pretty smooth and imho really well done for the most part.

OP by Mizuki Nana and ED by Suara were pretty good as well, but nothing standout compared to their more recent works. I think the story has some potential, but I'm going to refrain on commenting much about it until another ep or 2. Feels like a boring afternoon soap opera so far, though.

Just feels like a mediocre to average anime just based on the first ep, though...I probably won't get past ep 3.

Was not worth staying up until 2am to watch the season start of this series...
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 12:48   Link #60
DxJ
Two becomes one

So it started airing, I heard Eclipse will be subbing this show, anyone care to confirm it?
DxJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, eroge, romance, seinen