AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-02-22, 03:12   Link #3621
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Excuse me, but did you read? I said "ii", not "i".
yasashii (優しい) does not end with 'ii'; it ends with 'shii'. same for oishii (おいしい).

osoi (遅い) is an i-adjective and ends with い. All i-adjectives end with い. But the converse is not true, thus we have to memorize by heart which are na-adjectives and which are i-adjectives.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 03:40   Link #3622
LeoXiao
思想工作

But they still end in the -ii sound. The consonant sound before it is not important.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 11:04   Link #3623
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
But they still end in the -ii sound. The consonant sound before it is not important.
kirei is a na-adj....just saying...
Old 2013-02-22, 12:07   Link #3624
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
kirei is a na-adj....just saying...
Argh, "kirei" has only one "i" sound at the end, not two!
Old 2013-02-22, 12:24   Link #3625
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Argh, "kirei" has only one "i" sound at the end, not two!
You are saying the consonant sound before the i is not important
Old 2013-02-22, 12:37   Link #3626
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
You are saying the consonant sound before the i is not important
okay, I said in the initial response to Kudryavka's question that adjectives with the base form "-ii" do not take "-na".

Now in Japanese there are a variety of kana that represent some consonant or consonant cluster with the final "-i" sound, i.e "ki", "shi", "chi", "ni" etc.

When I say that the consonant does not matter, I mean that what is essential is the doubled "ii" sound, not the "k-", "sh-" or whatever.
So in "yasashii", even though it is written in kana "ya-sa-shi-i" (can't type kana on this computer, sorry), there still exists the "-ii" final sounds.

In "kirei", written "ki-re-i", there is no doubled "i" sound because there is only ONE "i". If it was "ki-ri-i" then you would be correct.
Old 2013-02-22, 12:42   Link #3627
JINNSK
黒猫のウィズやってます

i of kirei(綺麗 in kanji) is from 麗(rei).It isn't an adj though the end is i.
JINNSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 13:08   Link #3628
Kudryavka

Quote:
IIRC if it ends in -ii, such as "yasashii", "oishii", etc, then it undergoes a more complex process, but if it's something else (like "keizaiteki" or "zankoku"), then it simply takes -na, i.e. "keizaiteki na ryori" (economical cuisine)
I mean for words that are just nouns, not already common -na adjectives. Like could I do 犬な?
Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post

No, it doesn't work that way. And as a matter of fact, sorry to say, but I don't exactly understand what you are asking. Are you talking about na-adjectives which are sometimes known as adjectival nouns? Perhaps if you clarify you a little bit, someone will be able to better help you.
Thank you. I think my new clarification is better to understand.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 13:20   Link #3629
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
I mean for words that are just nouns, not already common -na adjectives. Like could I do 犬な?
As seen in the example "keizaiteki" (economical), rendered 经济的 (sorry, computer can only type PRC characters), what we have is "keizai", or the noun "economics", followed by the kanji " 的" (teki), which indicates an adjective. But to make this work in Japanese you need the "-na", as "keizaiteki" is indeclinable according to the "-ii" adjective rules.

JINNSK gave the kanji 綺麗 for "kirei" and said that it is not an adjective. Actually it is in noun form ("beauty", I guess), but it can be made into an adjective simply by adding "-na" to it. As another example there is the word "zankoku" (cruel), written 残酷, which is also in "noun form" (cruelty), so it takes "-na" as well.

Note that none of these examples end in a double "-ii" sound. Also, all of these examples are in the On'yomi form of pronunciation, i.e. adapted directly from Chinese, while the "-ii" examples like "yasashii", "mezurashii" or "muzukashii" are Kun'yomi and therefore native Japanese words.
Old 2013-02-23, 15:04   Link #3630
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quick TL question for a change.

How far would you say localising should go? Run into a part where a character refers to their aunt as お母様. A straight up TL (I believe anyway) would kill off a ton of the implications in that term. Then again I can't romanise it either because it's a pretty fringe term already (compared to Onee san or the like) and those who do understand JP may take it to mean mother instead. Thoughts?
Old 2013-02-23, 15:44   Link #3631
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post

How far would you say localising should go? Run into a part where a character refers to their aunt as お母様. A straight up TL (I believe anyway) would kill off a ton of the implications in that term. Then again I can't romanise it either because it's a pretty fringe term already (compared to Onee san or the like) and those who do understand JP may take it to mean mother instead. Thoughts?
If this character was adopted by the aunt then I think 'mom' would suffice. I can't think of any other reason why someone would call their aunt as mother.
Old 2013-02-23, 21:39   Link #3632
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
okay, I said in the initial response to Kudryavka's question that adjectives with the base form "-ii" do not take "-na".

Now in Japanese there are a variety of kana that represent some consonant or consonant cluster with the final "-i" sound, i.e "ki", "shi", "chi", "ni" etc.

When I say that the consonant does not matter, I mean that what is essential is the doubled "ii" sound, not the "k-", "sh-" or whatever.
So in "yasashii", even though it is written in kana "ya-sa-shi-i" (can't type kana on this computer, sorry), there still exists the "-ii" final sounds.

In "kirei", written "ki-re-i", there is no doubled "i" sound because there is only ONE "i". If it was "ki-ri-i" then you would be correct.
れ is not a consonant sound?
Old 2013-02-23, 21:47   Link #3633
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
れ is not a consonant sound?
It is a consonant sound, but it does not end in "i".
Old 2013-02-23, 22:21   Link #3634
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

And anyway what about stuff like 大きな ? Can take both na and i form i being simply 大きい
Old 2013-02-23, 23:31   Link #3635
LeoXiao
思想工作

I actually don't know, maybe there are irregular cases. My Japanese isn't all that good. I was always under the impression that 大きい was the correct form.
Old 2013-02-23, 23:49   Link #3636
勝利は単純な魂の中に

Quote:
And anyway what about stuff like 大きな ? Can take both na and i form i being simply 大きい
I think you're missing his point. He means to say that when the adjective is written out in romanized form, if the last two letters are both 'i', the verb is an i-adjective (形容詞). 大きな would be romanized as 'ookina' so there is only one 'i' before the 'na', thus his rule technically holds in this case.

Unfortunately that rule is not correct. Counterexamples: 奇異な(きいな)、軽易な(けいいな).
Avatar of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 00:00   Link #3637
LeoXiao
思想工作

Okay, I guess that theory no longer works. Is the rule actually based on the differences between native vs. Sino-Japanese words?
Old 2013-02-24, 12:09   Link #3638
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

About J-adjectives: The original question makes little sense, both types of adjectives are always used as adjectives, just follow different conjugation rules. If you have to use a noun as an adjective, use the no particle. Now what LeoXiao wrote is correct and this is how textbooks introduce adjectives. But it does not cover everything, if one succumbs to japanese grammar nazism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post

Explanation in brackets or a translation note are the best solutions, if the target language doesn't have a similar way to express something. Localization is as bad as dubbing in these cases, not being able to convey all the information from the original language.
Old 2013-02-24, 22:34   Link #3639
larethian

Quote:

I agree with what you said in bold, that '-ii' sounds don't take 'na' during conjugation with nouns, but it doesn't mean that it has to be '-ii' to not take 'na' during conjugation with nouns, which was what I understood from your earlier post and other points.

To phrase it another way, it sounds to me that you were saying that if it doesn't contain '-ii' sound, it will take 'na' during conjugation with nouns, which I know to be false. That's why I quoted 'osoi' as an example. I might have misunderstood your post and your meaning though, and apologize if that's the case.

Nevertheless, my 2 cents is that, determining conjugation rules from how words sound is not the proper way. And I'm curious as to what textbook uses this manner of teaching, as none of my textbooks, reference books, nor the language school I had attended taught me in this manner. The proper way is to learn what class of words does a word fall into, whether it's a noun, i-adjective, na-adjective, godan verb, ichidan verb etc. etc., and learn the conjugation rules for that class and their exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINNSK View Post
i of kirei(綺麗 in kanji) is from 麗(rei).It isn't an adj though the end is i.
Quote:
JINNSK gave the kanji 綺麗 for "kirei" and said that it is not an adjective. Actually it is in noun form ("beauty", I guess), but it can be made into an adjective simply by adding "-na" to it. As another example there is the word "zankoku" (cruel), written 残酷, which is also in "noun form" (cruelty), so it takes "-na" as well.
This is just another school of thought which classifies na-adjectives as adjectival nouns because they have similarities to 'behavior' of nouns. Another school of thought classifies them as nominal adjectives...... plain confusing if you ask me......
It's fine to see them as nouns if you want to (though I'm personally against that line of thought), but one must be careful to remember that they are not nouns in the truest sense, i.e. they cannot stand alone by themselves as a subject by taking the 'が' and 'は' particles.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 01:49   Link #3640
LeoXiao
思想工作

Thanks for the informative response. My "-ii" theory has been further invalidated.

The explanation about "noun-adjectives" makes sense, as they are indeed not really used as nouns. So far I have noticed that all the "-na" adjectives mentioned are Sino-Japanese words, so maybe that is the rule.

Tags
hiragana