AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-08-31, 09:29   Link #541
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Okay but there are some other things like the zerg fest boss battles i see in videos. Like the one in the mmorpg review.
Old 2012-08-31, 09:32   Link #542
Westlo
Lets be reality

Eh the quest system in general isn't that great.. it's just a more advanced version of Warhammer's public quests mixed with Rift's Nexus events. There was a lot of garbage about how revolutionary it is. For the most part you're still killing things and clicking on others, the difference is it gives you a choice out of 4-5 different mechanics but the most used will be kill count anyway..
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 09:42   Link #543
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Eh the quest system in general isn't that great.. it's just a more advanced version of Warhammer's public quests mixed with Rift's Nexus events. There was a lot of garbage about how revolutionary it is. For the most part you're still killing things and clicking on others, the difference is it gives you a choice out of 4-5 different mechanics but the most used will be kill count anyway..
I never thought GW2's questing system (if you can call it that) was revolutionary, but I certainly think it's better implemented than crappy Warhammer and boring as hell Rift.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 09:43   Link #544
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post

You should check out the Shadow Behemoth (or whatever he's called) in the swamp area south of Divinity's Reach. Took 50 of us like half an hour to down him, drops a chest with green and blue items though.

Generally yes, few people for dynamic quests works well. I like it when there are about 5 or so, not 30 since by then I can barely tell what's going on anymore. Just sometimes I had to defend a town by myself and it wasn't as fun, even though the NPCs fight together with you but they are kind of useless.
Nice, I guess that must be a different kind of event because the giant drops absolutely nothing. I'm going completely blind on looking anything up because for the first time in a very long time I actually feel a sense of exploration and newness from this game, so I'm still not entirely clear yet on what's actually a loot boss or just a champion event enemy, and I'll see that behemoth when I manage to find my way to that area, haha.

Yeah, I've tried to complete a couple of events myself and it didn't end well. I've found I have a lot of both AoE damage and survivability with my engineer (my turret is also huge aggro magnet and enemies will immediately target it instead of me the second I drop it), but while I am fighting one group a second has come from behind and already killed all the objectives/friendly NPCs. I've given up on relying on NPCs for anything, their corpses along the road are as frequent a sight as enemies or gathering nodes.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 10:10   Link #545
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Classic! Someone should get on that ASAP...
And, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if a PvP battlefield that is mostly underwater exists or is planned. Perhaps a 'ship graveyard' or a partially flooded castle...

Note, too, that another of the older Bond movies - Moonraker - includes the even rarer sight of infantry combat in the Big Black... something that to my knowledge only one game (Shattered Horizon) mirrors.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 18:04   Link #546
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

well, you cant buy Guilds War 2 digitally for the time being (maybe you can, but you wont get the serial numbers).
the servers are getting over populated. i guess they're going to add more servers down the line since they
dont want their servers to lag and affect our gameplays.

http://www.guildwars2forum.com/threa...ed-(2012-08-30)

EDIT: meanwhile, trying to get to level 80 and get all those cool looking medium armor for my ranger!
gonna cost me a lot of gold though, for those tier 3 medium armors. i'm currently level 30 at the moment.
*starts grinding for more gold*
Old 2012-08-31, 21:28   Link #547
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
well, you cant buy Guilds War 2 digitally for the time being (maybe you can, but you wont get the serial numbers).
the servers are getting over populated. i guess they're going to add more servers down the line since they
dont want their servers to lag and affect our gameplays.

http://www.guildwars2forum.com/threa...ed-(2012-08-30)

EDIT: meanwhile, trying to get to level 80 and get all those cool looking medium armor for my ranger!
gonna cost me a lot of gold though, for those tier 3 medium armors. i'm currently level 30 at the moment.
*starts grinding for more gold*
True that, except I'm saving my gold for gems. Gems are going up! Right now on my server its at 342 gems per 1 gold. Yesterday it was at 280

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 01:45   Link #548
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Lol, I fell of the balcony in the city and died. :/

Also I can't seem to get my character drunk. That's some high tolerance!

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-09-01 at 01:57.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 01:56   Link #549
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

^ People die when they take too much fall damage.
Old 2012-09-01, 02:11   Link #550
Aesthetic Shampoo

I occasionally jump off high vista's if i'm bored. Sometimes i even get a thrill out of it

I made a warrior the other day, and i'm liking it a lot more than my thief. I'm having trouble choosing which skills to get though, does anyone know if there is there is enough skill points available to buy all the skills in the end?
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 02:49   Link #551
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

i like how my character face planted on the floor whenever i jumped off a high building;
it's pretty COOL!

@EssTEss: just chose which skills you would like to chose first to use. i'm at level 37 right now
and i already have more than half of the regular skills. the elite skills will probably cost the
most skill points (10 per). i only have one elite skill right now. i'm very sure you can get at least 90%
of all the skills by the time you reach level 80 and do only some of the skill points mission. the other
10% will probably be useless skills that you'll probably never gonna use.
Old 2012-09-01, 04:46   Link #552
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hmm, what stats should a necromancer pursue? Precision?

Power increases the damage of all attacks. That sounds like the best general use one then.

Gah, stupid trading post ate my gold. :S

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-09-01 at 05:21.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 09:10   Link #553
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

People were actually able to access the trading post? My bank is loaded with a ton of stuff I want to sell but I have never even seen it online.

I've been leveling my engineer along the Explosives tree even though my weapon of choice is the flamethrower, just because of the power boost each trait point spent in that tree provides. That and, many of the 5 and 10 point talents seem to just be general boosts that don't require you to be using explosives anyway. With stacking so much power (and some clever dodging and kiting) I've found it to be pretty easy to kill enemies 4-5 levels above me.

In regards to falling damage, I seem to have a bug where it plays my character's falling scream sound effect when I fall so much as a couple inches after a jump. It's pretty hilarious though so I hope it never gets fixed.

And finally since I didn't post a screenshot yet, behold the majesty of Admiral Cuddles and his rainbow pimp gear. Most people seem to use the armor dye feature to make sure their gear matches and looks good; I do the opposite:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-09-01, 09:14   Link #554
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
People were actually able to access the trading post? My bank is loaded with a ton of stuff I want to sell but I have never even seen it online.
They've been randomly rotating access to it for portions of the player base while trying to get it more stable.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 09:58   Link #555
Aesthetic Shampoo

arrrgh. Turns out i've been too reckless in my skill point spending; i've too many skills i never use and went past the 5/5 needed to unlock the next skill sets. Is there a way to get back your skill points by selling back your skills or something?
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 11:34   Link #556
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Just started playing a Necro on this server and my computer keeps automatically shutting down by itself. I think there is something wrong with my RAM or GTS560 Twin Frozr II has alot of problems with high end games.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 11:37   Link #557
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

So, I've steered clear of the beta as I didn't want to burn out on the game before it was even released. Done my best to stick my head in the sand as well. I also thought GW 1 to be an awful game. What are my thoughts on GW 2 after having played it for a week, creating 4/5 of characters to the mid 20s to early 30s?

This is the first MMO in many, MANY, MANY, years that has finally brought back the feeling that I used to get playing MMOS in the 90s and the very early 2000s; it actually feels like it's a virtual world. It's funny, because for the past few weeks, I've been really appreciating how Sword Art Online, as an anime, seemed to capture MMOs far better than actual MMOs do today, and part of that was the whole scope of it, making it feel like it really was a virtual world.

About the only way this game resembles the crapware that is GW 1 (my opinion of course), outside of lore, etc, is the rather bad fonts used for nameplates. Otherwise, this is, quite frankly, the best MMO I've played in probably 10+ years.

One of the few things I give GW 1 credit for is the grind, though it came out in an era where grind was not necessarily a bad thing. While things have been toned down, there are enough things to grind in this game where you aren't going to have nothing left to do within a week or two, like certain other MMOs that have launched in the last few years (from a "hardcore" perspective; I'm well aware there's a type of player who could manage to spend 10 years doing what another player accomplishes in one week).

Now, don't get me wrong. They have like four voice actors in the entire game, and it's annoying. The stories that I've done so far, to the mid 20s to low 30s (Norn and Human), are annoyingly righteous. I gag at being a goody two-shoes, and I keep having flashbacks to Slayer's Amelia and her speeches concerning Justice as I play. But, the world is so...alive, for lack of a better word, that I largely find myself able to ignore the piss-poor story.

All in all, I'm amazed this is a game created by the makers of GW 1. While I usually attempt to find the silver lining in an MMO, to justify me sinking my time into it, this is the first one in a long time where I'm not trying to convince myself that I should be playing it.

One other very small criticism is the RNG on loot. RNG being RNG, it's obviously going to be random, but I have a level 32 character who's yet to have a single random dye drop, while I have a level 12 Sylvari who's already got 19 colors unlocked. :/ I kind of wish the dyes were unlocked account-wide, but oh well.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 11:48   Link #558
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
The stories that I've done so far, to the mid 20s to low 30s (Norn and Human), are annoyingly righteous. I gag at being a goody two-shoes, and I keep having flashbacks to Slayer's Amelia and her speeches concerning Justice as I play. But, the world is so...alive, for lack of a better word, that I largely find myself able to ignore the piss-poor story.
Should try rolling a Charr, much more intelligent and pragmatic overall and my story has presented me with some truly interesting decisions. I knew that was the race I'd want immediately after reading about their philosophy and I've not regretted it for a second. And there's plenty of humor between beating people up in bar fights and launching cows from a catapult. And the most prominent racial leader is voiced by Steve Blum. Just can't go wrong there.
Old 2012-09-01, 12:12   Link #559
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

At the start I had sort of planned to make one of every race to experience all their storylines, making a Charr Guardian my main. Apart from the fact it takes a while to level, I found that the only race I really wanted to play after a while was... Charr. Not even the Sylvari stands out as much as they do. The Norn was a huge disappointment throughout the beta tests, because I had expected Vikings. Instead I got some sort of righteous/softcore Viking combo with awful character design. Though their structure design is nice.

I love the Charr due to their brutal nature, char/structure design and awesome voice acting. Rytlock Brimstone is probably the best one amongst the leaders and my favorite. Due to joining the Vigil, and being Blood Legion, I also get the "SCIENCE AND STEALTH? TAKE IT HEAD-ON" ideology which sort of fits them the best.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 14:15   Link #560
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I'm too vain to play a Char.

In fact, I'm starting to think I'm too vain to play anything but a human. Norn have some really dumb animations.

Right now, I have a 32 Thief, 25 Mesmer, both human. One from noble background, one from street rat. Both insufferably goody two shoes. Don't particularly enjoy the Mesmer in pve. Love my thief, if only for the passive speed boosts. Don't particularly love at how expensive in terms of slot efficiency it is to remove conditions. I've had poisons kill me from 100-0 because I was running around without anything slotted to remove them. So squishy! One of their heals should really have a Condition removal attached to it, imo.

A level 25 Warrior, who I'm hating because she's a Norn, and looks so stupid while she runs. Aesthetics aside, warriors get some stupidly good passive traits. I'm tempted to put my thief aside and re-roll my warrior to human. She's currently got 89% crit, and passively heals so much that I don't even bother dodging attacks while pveing. Norn story is pretty bland as well.

My level 12 is a Sylvari Guardian. Sylvari are giving the humans a fight for the title of most nauseatingly self-righteous goody-two shoes story so far. Guardian is a step below warrior in terms of pve ez-mode, but I haven't found them to stand out in any real way in pvp.

Last, I have an Asuran Engineer, level 25. I find Engineer rather boring, but mainly because I always find anything that ends up primarily a ranged fighter to be boring. I'm always about being up in someone's face. Asuran are definitely cute though. Only reason I stuck with it to 25 was it's a rather interesting class to play in pvp, and so far, the one that seems to me, in my limited pvp experience, to have to largest gap between high and low skill players. Oh, I forgot. Their story sucks too. Objectively, I'm aware that if I was a pimple faced 13 year old from the 1980-1990s, I might find these three races' stories enjoyable, but alas, I am not.

I tried Necro and Ele to like level 3 before I thought, "why am I wasting time with two classes that have practically zero melee potential". Also, I make fun of Ranger archtypes too much to ever be caught playing one.

Edit: Finally brought my Thief to Lion's Arch to continue the story, and it's bugged. Stealing Secrets won't update, and a google search seems to indicate it's rather common. Seeing people who haven't been able to do anything story-related in 30+ levels because of it. I guess I'll go re-roll my Warrior and hope they've hot-fixed this in the next few days.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2012-09-01 at 14:46.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote