AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Old 2014-08-05, 16:35   Link #461
Kakurin
大佐

Oh, I've forgotten to look into this thread. Anyway, the problem disappeared by itself. But thanks for the clarification.
Old 2014-08-28, 10:08   Link #462
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I'm having some frustrating issues sourcing a couple of volumes (13, 14 & 15) of Battle angel Alita: Last Order, there are a few places selling the volumes I'm missing but the prices are absolutely shocking for a single volume.

Most common channels like amazon list each volume at £50+ used, although Alibris have one (volume 15) listed at over £6546 (thats over $10.000!!) which is mind boggling. Does anyone know of any where besides amazon, alibris and ebay that sell them at normal prices?

I cant for the life of me understand why theres such a huge variance in the price of certain volumes when up until about volume 17 they where published by the same company VIZ media.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-29, 18:26   Link #463
Pat123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

Most common channels like amazon list each volume at £50+ used, although Alibris have one (volume 15) listed at over £6546 (thats over $10.000!!) which is mind boggling. Does anyone know of any where besides amazon, alibris and ebay that sell them at normal prices?

I cant for the life of me understand why theres such a huge variance in the price of certain volumes when up until about volume 17 they where published by the same company VIZ media.
My son and I have noticed this too. One volume he has on his shelf was priced at $950 on Amazon. He had bought it in a used book store for $3. We seriously talked about insuring it. It took me three years to find an affordable decent copy of the third volume of Mai, the Psychic Girl.

Some of these are rare items and have a normally high price, but others are clearly ridiculous. I read an article that says these ridiculous prices are the result of an automatic re-pricing algorithm that keeps upping the price under some circumstances.

As for where to find them, my son and I regularly check local used book stores. We have gotten about half our used Japanese- and English-language books and manga that way. I also go to Kinokuniya.com for new books. They have brand-new English omnibus versions of Battle Angil Alita: Last Order for about $20 each.
Pat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-29, 19:43   Link #464
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Sadly theres little demand for manga in my pokey little country so don't have to luxury of buying from book stores.

I'd seen the omnibus versions but I already have all the individual volumes bar the 3 I'm missing so it wouldn't really make sense to buy any of them =/

Its a strange set of affairs, I can remember a couple of years back hunting for volume 5 and it was a similar situation but now I was recently able to pick one up on amazon for about $5.

I'll just have to play the waiting game and hope the same thing happens =[

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-29, 21:35   Link #465
Pat123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Sadly theres little demand for manga in my pokey little country so don't have to luxury of buying from book stores.

I'd seen the omnibus versions but I already have all the individual volumes bar the 3 I'm missing so it wouldn't really make sense to buy any of them =/

Its a strange set of affairs, I can remember a couple of years back hunting for volume 5 and it was a similar situation but now I was recently able to pick one up on amazon for about $5.

I'll just have to play the waiting game and hope the same thing happens =[
Yeah, that's about it. The waiting game.

Best of luck in hunting.
Old 2014-09-17, 22:56   Link #466
BaronNoir

Are there LEGAL options to purchase digital mangas ?

To make a long story short, I would like to import a (non-hentai but morally discutable) manga that could be extremely problematic and embarassing at customs.

Are there LEGAL options to use a Kindle-like device for manga ?
BaronNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-17, 23:24   Link #467
Ungas123

try vizmanga.com, emanga.com, shounen jump alpha, yen press ipad store, or dark horse digital

Visit us @ #re-translations @ irc.irchighway.net
Re:translations' Project Page

P.S. either poke CptCupcake or rei_hunter.
P.P.S. just be careful where to poke rei_hunter :hide:
Ungas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-17, 23:27   Link #468
BaronNoir

I meant japanese mangas that are not available with...other means...thanks to a certain lack of popularity

This said, those links are very useful, but as a canadian, I have access to Amazon.ca PRIME free shipping (and Kindle) which saves many problems
Old 2014-09-18, 01:13   Link #469
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Mangabox and Crunchy scan
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 01:43   Link #470
ngng
Ibekusa Makina daisuki!

Well, if you gotta import, just do it. Why care about embarrassment? I mean you paid money for your hobby, nobody has the right to judge what you like.
ngng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 15:37   Link #471
BaronNoir

Canadian customs can be extremely picky (even if it's possible to purchase in Canadian mainstream librairies ''To Love Ru Darkness'' in a translated French edition) and I would not even import stuff like DXD from Japan.
Old 2014-09-19, 15:19   Link #472
Pat123

Well, bringing through customs can be a problem, for sure.

I'm in the USA and have gotten some stuff from Kinokuniya on the web. There is a "gift shop" called Kinokuniya in Calgary, but I don't know if it handles books, too. Also, the US Kinokuniya will import directly from Japan, but I don't know if the shipment goes directly to Canada or not. At any rate, you may want to check http://www.kinokuniya.com/us/ and see if they have what you want.
Old 2014-10-07, 15:39   Link #473
lostgirl

san diego

San Diego has the Japanese area in convoy with a book store that allows you to order whatever you want through them. Just tell Sanseido the book name and publisher and they get it for you, but only in Japanese. In the same parking lot is a used book store that sells used manga in English and Japanese. Some are even only $1 each. Its called Book-off.

New books (Japanese)
http://www.mitsuwa.com/restaurants-s...ooks-sanseido/
Sanseido Books (inside mitsuwa supermarket)
4240 Kearny Mesa Rd San Diego, CA 92111
(858) 279-2900

Used Books (English and Japanese)
http://www.bookoffusa.com/
Bookoff
4240 Kearny Mesa Rd
Ste 128
San Diego, CA 92111
lostgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-11, 12:30   Link #474
bakato

Hi! I live in New York and I became an otaku 7 years ago and joined forums like these 4 years ago. I've enjoyed the services of many manga streaming sites since then and the gods known as translators for light novels. However, as I'm sure many of us are aware, companies like Yen Press are taking bold new steps to bring not just manga, but some of the best light novel series to the American market, which unfortunately would mean the end of both completed and on-going projects on sites like BT. In light of these developments, I want to take steps to preserve the bountiful translations we have now and support the licensing of these series. If someone could enlighten me on a few question, I'd really appreciate it.

First, I'd like to ask are about light novels.
1. Do companies like Yen Press stop printing volumes after a certain amount of time. For instance, will the printed copy of SAO vol. 1 no longer be available in stores after say a year of its release?
2. So should I be grabbing these things as soon as they hit the shelves? If so, could anyone recommend a site to purchase light novels cheap?

Now about manga.
1. Is the future of manga digital? Is it better to stock up on digital manga rather than printed?
2. Unfortunately, as I joined the otaku community a little late, I've missed a few manga series that are no longer printed or available in stores like Barnes&Nobles. Can anyone recommend a site to purchase old manga that are no longer in print?
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-11, 16:10   Link #475
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Hi! I live in New York and I became an otaku 7 years ago and joined forums like these 4 years ago. I've enjoyed the services of many manga streaming sites since then and the gods known as translators for light novels. However, as I'm sure many of us are aware, companies like Yen Press are taking bold new steps to bring not just manga, but some of the best light novel series to the American market, which unfortunately would mean the end of both completed and on-going projects on sites like BT. In light of these developments, I want to take steps to preserve the bountiful translations we have now and support the licensing of these series. If someone could enlighten me on a few question, I'd really appreciate it.

First, I'd like to ask are about light novels.
1. Do companies like Yen Press stop printing volumes after a certain amount of time. For instance, will the printed copy of SAO vol. 1 no longer be available in stores after say a year of its release?
2. So should I be grabbing these things as soon as they hit the shelves? If so, could anyone recommend a site to purchase light novels cheap?

Now about manga.
1. Is the future of manga digital? Is it better to stock up on digital manga rather than printed?
2. Unfortunately, as I joined the otaku community a little late, I've missed a few manga series that are no longer printed or available in stores like Barnes&Nobles. Can anyone recommend a site to purchase old manga that are no longer in print?
1. when the sale slode down and they feel like publishing one more branch of those novel would no longer profit them in a reasomably soon time, then they won't continue publish it.
2. some peoe once recommended bookdepository to me but i havent use that
1.Cons for digital manga is that if they are DRM-ed and platform provider terminate their services, your manga would be lost. But of course physical manga would also be vulnerable to physical damages like paper yellowing
2. second hand bookstore?
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-27, 10:51   Link #476
Destiny Knight
Dead End

Ohh thanks for the info
Destiny Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 21:04   Link #477
Skellan

Does anyone know if its possible to set my kindle to Japanese to access there online section? will i need a Japanese CC? can i buy outside of Japan? trying to save money and it seems to be cheaper then importing them
Skellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 21:17   Link #478
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Recently ive been looking for a H manga, but its really hard(to not say impossible) to find then, i have no problems buying regular ones, but the H ones practically dont exist in shop or the pages where i looked for, any idea of some pag that can sell them in USA(dont say amazon jp plz)? or i will have to ask someone over there in japan to get it for me??
Old 2014-11-16, 00:24   Link #479
Kronok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellan View Post
Does anyone know if its possible to set my kindle to Japanese to access there online section? will i need a Japanese CC? can i buy outside of Japan? trying to save money and it seems to be cheaper then importing them
It's possible. You just need to find a fake address, phone number, and JP VPN since their ebook products are locked unless you have a Japanese IP. They accept international card, so you won't have to worry about it. I purchase a random series for fun (07 Ghost : Children), and read it on my laptop just fine.
Kronok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-25, 16:52   Link #480
Pat123

Well, I don't know about the hard copy, but some time ago I bought a nook and discovered, to my surprise, that I could easily get a lot of hentai manga -- for free!

I returned the nook because the screen was too small and it did not handle manga well. But, it was quite shock, especially since Barnes & Noble was promoting that model as a gift for kids. XD

Here is a store I use from time to time.

http://www.animecornerstore.com/index.html

Click on the "Adults Only" section. However, all the manga are translated, so not much help if you want Japanese-language hentai manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOmus View Post
Recently ive been looking for a H manga, but its really hard(to not say impossible) to find then, i have no problems buying regular ones, but the H ones practically dont exist in shop or the pages where i looked for, any idea of some pag that can sell them in USA(dont say amazon jp plz)? or i will have to ask someone over there in japan to get it for me??

Tags
buying, import, japanese language, manga