AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Old 2007-04-26, 06:19   Link #481
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelLuvsPnut View Post
HobbyFan already has the Ganmen models. None of the characters yet though, but they said they'll be getting them in when they are released.
What about the T-shirts? :3
Old 2007-04-26, 07:13   Link #482
wao
OK.

Geh, sorry to drag up such an old and dead horse but I'm really having a laughing fit now. How the hell did everyone get their panties in such a bunch over episode 4? I'm not even Kobayashi Osamu's greatest fan - come on, I thought his episode in Kemonozume was the weakest when his style seemed to suit that show more than anything I've ever seen - but I bloody loved that episode of Gurenn Lagann!

Spoiler for And you can ignore this:

Well who cares, like someone said up there - bring on episode 5 and let's forget about the internets already.

Oh, and I have to say I still can't believe Kamina's seiyuu is the same one who did Hagi in Blood+. Liek wtf. I totally have to hand it to him for one spectacular job here - it's something that if you don't do right might end up spoiling hte whole mood of the show.

I would so go to any anime con here for the first time in my life just to see anyone cosplaying from Gurenn-Lagann. Then again I can't imagine the usual anime nerd being able to cosplay as Kamina... orz k I'll shut up now.

/me goes back to lurking
Old 2007-04-26, 08:37   Link #483
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

A latecomer to this series here, i don't really like the old giant robot stuff but i m liking this one.

There's an infectious energy(like FLCL) in this that makes it fun to watch. Unlike the other mecha series of this year, this one toss out the physics and realism and went back to the root of kids' robot style with it's colorful animation and design.

The VA cast did a remarkable job at bringing out all those character to life especially Katsuyuki Konishi who voiced the role of Kamina.
Old 2007-04-26, 09:57   Link #484
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Haha, I knew that wao sooner or later would have popped out of the shadows and said something about Kobayashi.

Spoiler for more episode 4 blabbering:

Oh and I dare anybody to cosplay as Kamina, but I guess they'd have to do some decent workout and be ready to not catch a cold, having to stay half-naked with just a cloak on the shoulders.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 09:59   Link #485
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Oh and I dare anybody to cosplay as Kamina, but I guess they'd have to do some decent workout and be ready to not catch a cold, having to stay half-naked with just a cloak on the shoulders.
There's no worry about the cold when Summer Comiket is close by. :3

Also, i've been thinking --- Gurren Lagann needs Moon Hippies.
Old 2007-04-26, 10:00   Link #486
arkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post

I would, but you probably wouldn't be able to tell I was half naked... and on that note I better stop before I make things worse

Last edited by arkon; 2007-04-26 at 10:01. Reason: make it obvious who I'm referring to
arkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 10:07   Link #487
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Speaking of cosplay, any chance that one exists for Marina Inoue as Yoko?

I'm sure rabid sex appeal will force near the entire crew of naysayers to concentrate on where it really matters for the show.
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 12:24   Link #488
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

So, I managed to finally check out Episode 4, very funny stuff and the animation really worked for it. It has the best line in the series so far:

Spoiler:

The show certainly does not disappoint.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 13:30   Link #489
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ ahaha ~ thats kamina for ya XD i think if he were to choose his life or looking cool i bet he would go for the looking cool option even if it means loosing his life (legend!)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 14:07   Link #490
7Th
Mixtape

Manuloz is my new hero. I didn't knew Gainax had that amount of good artists inside their studio... I hope we'll see most of them in GL but at least a few of them are already confirmed to be part of the show. BRING ON NEXT WEEK!

http://manganimation.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=16
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 16:11   Link #491
Drytchnath
Sexual Tyrannosaurus Rex

Just a quick question for you guys and gals here. I'm not sure which sub version to go with what with the 3 diff. quality versions that some groups are putting out. I originally just went with nyoro~n and their line about furries made ep.3 pure gold for me. But nyoro~n's episode 4 refuses to play right in MPC and WMP.
So what group would be the closest to nyoro~n in terms of subs?
Drytchnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 16:36   Link #492
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
such a shame that all the crap totally overshadows the serious talkers...probably why i dont even go near those boards (and i duno why people with normal intelligence would want too...)

ontopic ~ we seem to be lacking yoko pics >.< *pokes maidsx3* :3
The crap talkers should be shutting up next week, after all, the art seems back to what it was, and we get major Yoko pwnage heading our way

Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 18:03   Link #493
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
After reading all the complains about episode four, I was a bit worried, but I watched in high hopes.

It wasn't bad.

It was terrible.

Not just the artwork (which was pretty awful). No, the horridness ran the gamut this time. For example: Previously, Kamina's hilarious scolding of Simoun nearly getting them both killed had the direct point of attempting to teach Simoun an important lesson in asserting himself. This time, it really was just Kamina's screwed-up desire to be stylish. That would have been fine, really, if it weren't for the fact that it was made so dramatic.

The plot doesn't really go anywhere, either. It was just a way to introduce a group of characters who, entertaining as they were, contributed nothing to the plot so far.

And through all of this, the voices didn't really shine through--not that they had much of a chance to.

So... poor animation, no plot, unremarkable vocals... Just poorly executed all around. I was absolutely in awe of the previous episodes, but this one was just flat-out awful, and if it'd been my introduction to the series I would have had no interest.

The one saving grace for me is that I was totally moe for Kinon, although I can't say that would have been the case if she hadn't been sandwiched between her sisters.

Also, Buta pulling off his tail and hindquarters was flat-out disturbing and I wish it hadn't happened.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 18:08   Link #494
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Kyuusai, what exactly do you mean with "poor animation"?
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 18:47   Link #495
Steel Guardian

Haha, wow. I think I was among the few who enjoyed Episode 4. The animation just didn't affect me at all. The slapstick fluffy-ball battle was pretty great. And so was the introduction of those new characters.

Spoiler:
Steel Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 19:48   Link #496
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
After reading all the complains about episode four, I was a bit worried, but I watched in high hopes.

It wasn't bad.

It was terrible.

Not just the artwork (which was pretty awful). No, the horridness ran the gamut this time. For example: Previously, Kamina's hilarious scolding of Simoun nearly getting them both killed had the direct point of attempting to teach Simoun an important lesson in asserting himself. This time, it really was just Kamina's screwed-up desire to be stylish. That would have been fine, really, if it weren't for the fact that it was made so dramatic.

The plot doesn't really go anywhere, either. It was just a way to introduce a group of characters who, entertaining as they were, contributed nothing to the plot so far.

And through all of this, the voices didn't really shine through--not that they had much of a chance to.

So... poor animation, no plot, unremarkable vocals... Just poorly executed all around. I was absolutely in awe of the previous episodes, but this one was just flat-out awful, and if it'd been my introduction to the series I would have had no interest.

The one saving grace for me is that I was totally moe for Kinon, although I can't say that would have been the case if she hadn't been sandwiched between her sisters.

Also, Buta pulling off his tail and hindquarters was flat-out disturbing and I wish it hadn't happened.
The rest is a matter of taste that even if I can argue with I won't do so, but you can't simply sustain that particular affirmation.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 23:38   Link #497
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post

It wasn't bad.

It was terrible.

Not just the artwork (which was pretty awful). No, the horridness ran the gamut this time. For example: Previously, Kamina's hilarious scolding of Simounnearly getting them both killed had the direct point of attempting to teach Simoun an important lesson in asserting himself. This time, it really was just Kamina's screwed-up desire to be stylish. That would have been fine, really, if it weren't for the fact that it was made so dramatic.

You realize Simoun is a show about girls lezzing out to activate airship super weapons. Even though Simon's name is pronounced the same way, he's definitely not an airship.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 00:00   Link #498
SilentGhost
Lord of Darkness

Just finished watching ep.4 myself, and ya the style was icky lol. Clumsy character movement and way too many wierd close-up moments were what got me the most. Again and again someones face was stuck in the screen looking realy distorted and ugly >.< Khitton especially. Simon and Kamina seemed way too blushy and they overused Boota, who also seemed "out of character".

The plot for the episode was fine imo. After an episode like #3 a "cooldown" episode isnt a bad thing, where nothing serious happens and everyone just kinda screws around ;D Kamina's line "was that drill always there?" still has me laughing. Ep.5 looks correct and serious again, no more bologna, so I rejoice.

Kamina had a valid point trying to get Simon to combine in a more... serious/stylish way. How lame is it to go "Lets use our ultimate combination" and then the little mech scurries up your leg and jams itself in your head... just not cool. You gotta do it in a bit moe sceen that leaves the enemy going "Wow that was really cool!" just like the pink fuzzball did. The'll be too stunned to even fight back lol.
SilentGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 00:38   Link #499
Lolfang
*Fansubber

Some Gurren Lagann news:
Akai Takami steps down as G-L animation producer in apology over mixi drama, and statements made about the 2ch fanbase:
http://www.gainax.co.jp/company/akai.html

I'll miss her.
Lolfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 00:42   Link #500
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Okay, I saw episode 4 and while I'll admit to not being the biggest fan of Kobayashi's "style", it wasn't bad. I can see why it's unappealing to some..a lot though with the animation technique and styling.

What surprised me though is the fact that this episode managed to spawn enough internet do-ra-ma to the extent where the producer, Akai Takami's resigning from board of directors. It's really...sad in a way.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote