AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2008-11-24, 22:09   Link #1
strategos

The dubbing of Gundam 00

This thread is for the discussion of English Voice Actors in Gundam 00

Please remember these simple rules when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to flame praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.

Well tonight is finally the premire of the series GUndam 00 in Sci-fi channel. Finally we'll be able to see what Bandai has in store for us ^^.

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com

Last edited by xris; 2008-11-25 at 03:53.
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-24, 23:06   Link #2
mg1942

Gundam 00 on SciFi! (ani Monday)

I'm currently watching this on SciFi HD right now (as of 8:06 Pacific Time).
Man it looks good on HD!

(no comment on dubbing for now...)
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-24, 23:17   Link #3
mg1942

ok.... they put commercials every 5 minutes.
Old 2008-11-24, 23:44   Link #4
KickHopper
[Never Give Up]
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to KickHopper Send a message via MSN to KickHopper
Not such a bad dub. Graham's voice is a bit off though. Lockon and Allelujah is PERFECT. And might I add how lovely this looks on my big screen TV. xD

[R.I.P Lisa Chung : A Truly Remarkable Person.]
KickHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-24, 23:47   Link #5
Mangaka-chan

Watching the dub right now, and I can't say I like some of the voices. Maybe the VA's need time to get used to their roles, but so far the only voices I like are Lockon's, Allelujah's, Feldt's, and Patrick's. The commercial breaks also make the editing of the episode rather awkward for someone who's seen the original. Guess I'll just look forward to getting the unedited version on the DVD.
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 00:07   Link #6
Cherudim Arche

For roles, I think Lockon, Tieria, Patrick, Wang, Feldt, Saji portrayed their characters pretty well. Setsuna could be a bit better sometimes or others when saying Exia . Allelujah sounds too similar to Heero.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 00:17   Link #7
DangerMouse

That's awesome! I totally didn't expect that we'd get a broadcast in HD even with the HD version of Scifi Channel. I wish they were giving us Sci Fi HD already, maybe soon, I may have seen season 1, but I'm watching it again on scifi so it would have been sweet to see it again in HD as 00 has been fantastic so far.

I'll buy the DVDs if I have to, but I would love it if somehow it does well enough on TV to convince Bandai Ent. to give it a US Blu-ray release since they clearly have all of the materials if they're airing the HD version on TV... one can dream *sigh*
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 00:28   Link #8
autobachs
Banned

BS it's not HD!
I have the same channel and I saw it! It's basically a standard definition widescreen.

I miss the INHD channel, they used to show some anime there in HD.
autobachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 00:30   Link #9
cyberbeing

It's not broadcast in HD on Sci-Fi HD. It's an upscaled letterboxed 4:3 SD stream (1440x1080) in a 16:9 HD frame (1920x1080). That gives it a real resolution of 810i upscaled from 480i with a nice bitrate. Sci-Fi HD does this thing all the time for their SD programming.

Edit: autobachs beat me to it ^^
Old 2008-11-25, 00:36   Link #10
DangerMouse

Ah, if that's true, I guess that's not really surprising, though sad since it was made in HD an all.

I'm curious how long Scifi HD been up, I only just recently, like in the last month have seen ads for it on Stargate Atlantis.

Honestly, I'm not really surprised, what do they have in terms of HD programming so far? I know Atlantis has been mentioned for potential Blu-ray and I'm guessing the last seasons of SG-1 maybe were made in HD, and maybe Sanctuary since it's so new and ofcourse Battlestar. Is anything else in HD yet?

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2008-11-25 at 00:49.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 00:42   Link #11
rpgman1

Some of the voices sound alright like Lockon, Saji, Wang, Patrick (LOL), and Tieria. Wait next week to hear how the others turned out.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 01:00   Link #12
cyberbeing

Sci-Fi HD launched around October 2007, but some companies were a bit slow (~6 months later) in adding it to their line-up. I don't watch much TV so I can't give a good assessment of what other shows are in HD, but from what I remember SG-1 is in SD on the HD channel.
Old 2008-11-25, 01:04   Link #13
MeesesGlokmah

I hate to be the odd man out, but I honestly didn't like Lockon's voice. It fits him, but to me there is something I just don't find quite right. Same goes for Tieria and Saji (although it also seems to suit him). I'm probably just being nitpicky though, and will most likely grow to like them.

As for the others, I liked them. Especially Allelujah. To me, it suited him perfectly.
MeesesGlokmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 01:17   Link #14
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

When I heard Graham's voice a little piece inside of me died...

Why must Bandai have a blood-deal with Ocean group? T_T...

There are tons of good dubs...despite the dubhaters who never watch enuff dubs to know that there are good, HQ ones..However Ocean Group just gives them a bad name when you use the surfer-voice for Graham Aker...His passion is gonna sound so tard now...What's sad is that Billy, Patrick, and Tieria all got better voices than Mr. Surfshido...
Old 2008-11-25, 01:28   Link #15
Cherudim Arche

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
When I heard Graham's voice a little piece inside of me died...

Why must Bandai have a blood-deal with Ocean group? T_T...

There are tons of good dubs...despite the dubhaters who never watch enuff dubs to know that there are good, HQ ones..However Ocean Group just gives them a bad name when you use the surfer-voice for Graham Aker...His passion is gonna sound so tard now...What's sad is that Billy, Patrick, and Tieria all got better voices than Mr. Surfshido...
Don't forget Haro, I was practically annoyed when it spoke up every time in different scenes.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 02:13   Link #16
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

i cant enjoy the show bcuz there is some weird fuzzy picture (looks like some arabic channel) over the screen on sci fi channel
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 02:13   Link #17
mg1942

I think the dubbing was pretty good. Patrick Colasour (AEU) on the other hand sounded whiney!

To me Gundam 00 was a very fast-paced show. I'm glad that I get to rewatch it again in English.
Old 2008-11-25, 03:00   Link #18
Suika-Esper
Sage Mode

The Good: Lockon (he could use some more emotion in his voice, though later epsodes will probably negate that problem), Allelujah, Sumeragi, Christina, Feldt, Billy, Wang Lui Mei, and Hong Long.

The Bad: Patrick, Graham, Haro, Marina

The Undecided: Setsuna (he'll definitely take same getting used to. It seemed like they chose him simply because he voiced Light. He also sounds like he's trying too hard to sound cool and collected), Tieria, Sergei, Kinue, Saji, and Louise.

It was fun picking out Scott McNiel's voice whenever he had a part. I'm waiting to see how he does with Ali Al Saachez.
Suika-Esper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 03:19   Link #19
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Heard Scott man in 2 episodes, especially the minor guys! XD

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 03:23   Link #20
Charred Knight

Here's my take

Not bad, especially for the Ocean group which I feel is the weakest of the dubbing areas having not improved while LA and Texas have.

Since we have a lot of characters show up I am only going to do characters that I remember

The Good: Lockon, Patrick, Allelujah, Billy, Louise, Marina, and Billy
The Bad: Graham (That voice sounds great for Naraku not for Graham), Sergei

Can't decide: Setsuna

Don't remember: The rest

I especially like Trevor Devall as Patrick, but that just might be because he got all the best lines in the first episode.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote