AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-12-21, 08:47   Link #581
Srin Tuar
無謀

Hrm, I have a different theory.

Carrots are bland tasting vegetables, and the smell like dirt.
Apples are tasty fruits, and they smell nice.

Koko doesnt have any time to waste on boring or bland unpleasant things, being a consummate sensate.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 12:56   Link #582
tupou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
I really wouldn't mind reading the manga to find out the backstory of Hol and Kurofune etc. etc. but I heard the manga and the anime are really quite different....
There's a manga?
tupou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 13:32   Link #583
Spuffy
オウカ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupou
There's a manga?
So it seems, amazon has it.
Spuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 13:58   Link #584
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

IMHO Coco looks more Mature and hotter in the Manga
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 01:08   Link #585
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Spoiler:
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 01:54   Link #586
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Oh no Hunterx...there is a LOT more meaning...but you won't find out until the end.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 15:00   Link #587
The Yellow Dwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
More about apples:
Spoiler for episode 20:
The apples are not quite about the Biblical "Good and Evil" as it is about innocence lost. As people grow up and interact with other people, it is inevitable that they lose their carefree childhood and childlike way of thinking that they so cherish.

As for the carrot, I think it's pretty obvious: Coco is a bad little girl who doesn't eat her vegetables. Do you know what happens to girls who don't eat their vegetables? Their breasts won't grow and they get pimples and guys won't like them and they can't find good husbands.

I think that is what the three (or four, counting Kurofune) Melos no Senshi are all about: a mixture of Peter Pan and Holden Caufield figure that never wants to grow old and fights (albeit a futile battle) to protect the innocence of the children. The Monsters are allegorical figures of adulthood: physical maturation, the integration into society, and in particular, the increasingly alienating forces of corporate structures and materialistic ways of living that have made people into worker drones who are isolated from each other.

The fact that the first war happened in the late 20th century, and the fact that the Monsters can turn adults into "puppets" - emotionless things that do as they are bid, is telling. There are also numerous scenes of mass numbers of identically shaped "people" e.g. the Hotel tourist babies that reinforce the level of mass conformity in Bokka's world. Moreover, the Monster "eat the children" can be seen as a metaphor for the corruption of adulthood that destroy the innocence of children.

A similar metaphor can be found in the Chinese writer Lu Xun's short story "Diary of a Madman," in which the half-crazed narrator thinks the adults are teaching children how to "eat other people" in a cannibalistic society. Of course, Lu Xun was in fact attacking the century-old Confucian social structure that turns people on each other to surivive; but in this anime it's not too far-fetched to consider the monster devouring the children as the symbolic destruction of their innocence.

It has been pointed out many times by other posters Bokka's hesitatance to a solid relationship with Sayako. There's quite a bit of Freudian junk that can be gotten out of it, but a lot of the times Bokka cannot commit because of the Forgotten Melody's presence. Coco also commented in a similar fashion, if Bokka cannot let go of the Forgotten Melody, he can never "do things" that might, in modern consensus, "make him an adult." Bokka's travel is in some way similar to Holden Caufield's misadventure in New York city: they are both trying to connect with other people but at the same time are afraid of the consequences. Both are resolved to become the protector of children, although in Bokka's case "protection" is manifested quite physically.

Similarly, Toune escaped a marriage (correct me if I'm wrong) and becomes a Melos no Senshi, and Kurofune's life has been shadowed by a youthful self that he could not escape. (In the Minotaur's maze, he watched again and again his fight with Hol and he fought Hol again and again in what is arugably a youthful sport.) Coco is slightly more difficult, but given her age and the lack of parental guidance, she is someone who is similarly "out of loop" of the educational cocoon transformation into corporate pencil-pusher.

The Monster King's reminiscence is also quite interesting. For one, it shows that the Monsters are allegories of something timeless and inherent in human society; and secondly, his decision to not destroy the Monsters - the fear of growing up that is often present in children - is an attempt to make them cherish their childhood, to make them aware of the things that they will lose.

Well...that's just my thoughts on the subject...

(BTW, anybody else thinks the "Electric Sheep" is an allusion to Phillip K. Dick's novel? Of course the show reverses the question of emotion-capable androids into one that questions adroid-like humans. I wonder if there are many other similar allusions that I have missed. I admit I'm not the most well-read person around. )
The Yellow Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 18:40   Link #588
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Nice post. I'm not quite sure of your explanation of carrots, but the rest is spot-ON. The only thing I want to add is that the people who grow up loose their ability to taste the joy of life and care for other people. I wonder if the show is going to reach an epiphany that both paths have to come together in order to live as a whole person: both grow up AND continue to embrace life.

I also think of Phillip K. Dick everytime I hear the words "Electric Sheep" though the only thing that seems to reinforce the connection is the Electric Sheep's belief that he is only dreaming of the word. Perhaps that makes him an android dreaming of electric sheep? It is probably the writers way of pointing out that people who refuse to truly live are just androids... living, without tasting life... not eating their apples.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 18:51   Link #589
Cort
What???

Send a message via ICQ to Cort
I think of the book 1984 every time I hear "electric sheep" lol.

A lot of this show reminds me of that book though.
Cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 19:39   Link #590
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Nice post. I'm not quite sure of your explanation of carrots, but the rest is spot-ON. The only thing I want to add is that the people who grow up loose their ability to taste the joy of life and care for other people. I wonder if the show is going to reach an epiphany that both paths have to come together in order to live as a whole person: both grow up AND continue to embrace life.

I also think of Phillip K. Dick everytime I hear the words "Electric Sheep" though the only thing that seems to reinforce the connection is the Electric Sheep's belief that he is only dreaming of the word. Perhaps that makes him an android dreaming of electric sheep? It is probably the writers way of pointing out that people who refuse to truly live are just androids... living, without tasting life... not eating their apples.
Yea, I think it may be just more 'depth' added to the show that you can look at and try to disect. The humans are living in a very robotic existence which is maintained by the Monsters who then harvest them. It is very Matrix-like.

I think you hit it on what the producers are trying to say. The people aren't really living like humans, they're more like robots just plodding through the same type of existence as evidenced by all those people looking like each other on the subway car with masks blinding them from the real world.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 23:46   Link #591
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yellow Dwarf
(BTW, anybody else thinks the "Electric Sheep" is an allusion to Phillip K. Dick's novel? Of course the show reverses the question of emotion-capable androids into one that questions adroid-like humans. I wonder if there are many other similar allusions that I have missed. I admit I'm not the most well-read person around. )
PKD was more interested in what humans were up to than in messing about with androids per se. In "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" Deckard may not seem like an interesting character, but that's because he has turned into sort of a drone. He is the most important character in the book, which is why he is in on the ending.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-23, 00:29   Link #592
The Yellow Dwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
PKD was more interested in what humans were up to than in messing about with androids per se. In "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" Deckard may not seem like an interesting character, but that's because he has turned into sort of a drone. He is the most important character in the book, which is why he is in on the ending.
I flipped through the book again and you're right, I'm wrong. A more appropriate story that questions emotion-capable androids is actually CLAMP's Chobits.... Anyways, the android-human interrelationship in the book still stands and I think the parallel between PKD's book and Melody of Oblivion is still valid (actually more so) if we look at the book as an exploration into how "mechanized" humans may become in the future.

(IMO the most interesting part of the book was when Rick told the girl his briefcase is made out of "baby skin," maybe that's why it's got such a big impression on me.)
The Yellow Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 04:00   Link #593
Yxy
chaunen...

what the...mega-release 6-24 from AonE ?

Merry Christmas!
Yxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 04:11   Link #594
WraithOD

looks like im gonna need a change of underwear
WraithOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 04:59   Link #595
Forever
Revealing the truth

I didnt even know that animeone even does melody of oblivion..... Then suddenly boom.....
I wish they release it regularly.... better for discussion this way...
Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 05:01   Link #596
wao
OK.

It took me quite some time to pick my jaw off from the floor...

Why the hell did they suddenly release *everything* at once! !@?@

Well, I'm going to pick up ep 21 and see how good their release is, I'll still keep Rice-box's but I can't wait to watch this show until the very end. Wow. 1-24.... like.... wtf....s.dose2)#($*
Old 2004-12-24, 05:20   Link #597
Archaic

Send a message via AIM to Archaic Send a message via MSN to Archaic
Those smarmy.....beautiful bastards. *Glomps AonE & ANBU staff responsible for this*
Old 2004-12-24, 05:50   Link #598
trowachess
Captain Chess

Dang, what's this about?! lol
Thought ANBU/AONE said they weren't doing this any longer,
I'm going to download Rice-Box's eps to compare, though Rice-Box has done a very good job IMO

(Boy talk about groups joining the bandwagon, lol)

Last edited by trowachess; 2004-12-24 at 06:26.
trowachess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 08:08   Link #599
zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic
Those smarmy.....beautiful bastards. *Glomps AonE & ANBU staff responsible for this*

You are so right !! MARRY XMAS !

zka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 09:20   Link #600
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Wah, A1 just came out of the blue for MoO My poor line is going to be abuse this weekend >_<

Anyway, Merry X'mas all and AOne Banzai
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote