AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2016-08-03, 16:13   Link #121
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Many people also said the same thing about DC movies (dark, serious, no humor, “mature”) being very different from Marvel movies (lighthearted, full of humors, “childish”), and that’s why the critics bash DC movies. Well, TDK Trilogy being critical-darling proved that the argument is flat out wrong. Also, these are the same people who like/love Chris Reeve’s original Superman and Tim Burton’s original Batman (both being legit superhero movies). It’s impossible that most of them hate DC. In fact, if you read many reviews of MOS & BvS out there, many of the critics (pro & amateur alike) really wanted to like those movies coming into theaters, but they can’t help but disliking it after coming out. They just hate (what they consider) bad movies, whether or not it's from Marvel, DC or any other production house.

So yes, it’s fair to use TDK trilogy as a comparison since they are still undoubtedly superhero movies (Batman Begins & TDKR even more so).
I have literally never heard anyone say that DC movies are bashed more by critics because they're darker than Marvel movies. Fans maybe, but certainly not critics. That would be a pretty poor argument, because critics generally pan less serious, "popcorn" flicks and prefer movies which the usual movie patron would consider more serious or "artsy". Critics generally like "dark", unless it's a family movie (read: animation).

The Snyderverse DC movies have been getting poorer ratings than the Marvel movies or the Nolanverse Batman movies simply because they're not as good. They're all deeply flawed so far, generally in the writing, which smacks of the "it would be cool if we changed this" without thinking it through mentality that has plagued the Fox movies (particularly with FF, but also somewhat with X-Men) other than Deadpool. There's a reason why these characters have become so iconic and memorable, so when you tweak them at a core level (Superman "forgot to smile", as HISHE so succinctly and brilliantly put it, Batman acts on assumptions rather than researching) versus on a surface level (the Maximoff twins are "mutates" rather than "mutants", Vision/Ultron were created by Stark/Banner rather than Stark/Pym), it all starts to fall apart.
Old 2016-08-03, 17:08   Link #122
MCAL

Should also mention that Rotten Tomatoes is owned by Warner Bros.

But no seriously, watch the movie then decide what you think about it. If you have time to start a petition to shut down RT then you have time to relax and watch a movie.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-03, 17:11   Link #123
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
But no seriously, watch the movie then decide what you think about it. If you have time to start a petition to shut down RT then you have time to relax and watch a movie.
Petitions are free, and if you aren't the one to start it, takes a minute or two of your time. A movie costs money and will take over an hour of your time, plus wear/tear/gas on your car if you aren't in walking distance of a theatre.

That said, the petition is still stupid. If you don't like the site, don't go to it.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-03, 18:36   Link #124
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
I have literally never heard anyone say that DC movies are bashed more by critics because they're darker than Marvel movies.
Just a quick browse through comment sections of MOS & BvS movie reviews in various sites will give you the strong impression that many (DC) fans think that critics bashed DC movies coz its "darker". I call bullshit on that, like I said before .
Old 2016-08-03, 19:31   Link #125
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Jack Snyder tends to go for the style rather than the substance, that's speaking as one who watch his movies since the Dawn of the Dead remake. Depending on the original material, it may enhance it (it did, imo, ofr 300) or hollow it (Dawn of the Dead).
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-03, 22:03   Link #126
Chosen_Hero

If what I have heard is true Warner Bros should really stop messing with the movies and just let the director themselves edit them properly. I guess I will once again wait to see the Directors' Cut to get a proper view of the movies' real version and to be able to properly review the movie, which I don't mind doing (pretty much the reason I'm not salty and actually love BvS).
Old 2016-08-03, 22:21   Link #127
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Good thing I'm smart enough to actually go see the movie and for my own opinions or I might have missed MoS and BvS both of which I loved. Can't wait to go see this movie.
You mean spending money to see MOS & BvS in theaters? Well, speaking for myself, it's a good thing I was sensible enough to listen to critics and friends that I trusted about MOS & BvS and prevented me from watching them on release. Otherwise, I'd feel robbed for spending a good amount of money to see them on the big screen. I eventually watched them at home, and after that, needless to say I didn't like them enough to spend money, time and effort to watch it in theaters. I was saved. For that, I thank the critics and my friends for their insights.

As for this Suicide Squad, it seems the result is more mixed. Some of the critics that I trusted like it and some don't. But it looks like most of them agreed that the story/narrative is a mess, but there are some fun and good parts in it that make it worth watching. Still, many of them also brought up the "Fant4stic-syndrome" of problematic studio meddling and re-shoots.
Old 2016-08-03, 22:23   Link #128
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

A friend of mine got tickets to see the film.
I'll give my review of it later after i watch it.
Old 2016-08-03, 23:01   Link #129
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
You mean spending money to see MOS & BvS in theaters? Well, speaking for myself, it's a good thing I was sensible enough to listen to critics and friends that I trusted about MOS & BvS and prevented me from watching them on release. Otherwise, I'd feel robbed for spending a good amount of money to see them on the big screen. I eventually watched them at home, and after that, needless to say I didn't like them enough to spend money, time and effort to watch it in theaters. I was saved. For that, I thank the critics and my friends for their insights.

As for this Suicide Squad, it seems the result is more mixed. Some of the critics that I trusted like it and some don't. But it looks like most of them agreed that the story/narrative is a mess, but there are some fun and good parts in it that make it worth watching. Still, many of them also brought up the "Fant4stic-syndrome" of problematic studio meddling and re-shoots.
I never said you couldn't like it and I certainly didn't mention anything about soending money, my post was about me making my own opinions without the need of some reviewer telling me or advicing me whether it was good or bad, I saw them only on the fact that I was interested in them and wheteher I liked it ir not could wait until after I made my own opinion and I could care less about the money I spent watching it. I have bought horrible games for far more for the exact same reason and it never bothered me.

I like to watch reviews but just because they say not to watch it or play it it doesn't mean I won't or I don't have to, I still do as I please. If you want to watch something then just watch it don't wait for the opinions of someone on the internet or on some paper, you might be missing on stuff that you might end up liking just for following what some other person says or you might not like it, only you will know in the end. Of course it also helps to to not be an elitist when it comes to doing stuff, it makes life so much easier.
Old 2016-08-03, 23:17   Link #130
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I never said you couldn't like it and I certainly didn't mention anything about soending money, my post was about me making my own opinions without the need of some reviewer telling me or advicing me whether it was good or bad, I saw them only on the fact that I was interested in them and wheteher I liked it ir not could wait until after I made my own opinion and I could care less about the money I spent watching it. I have bought horrible games for far more for the exact same reason and it never bothered me.

I like to watch reviews but just because they say not to watch it or play it it doesn't mean I won't or I don't have to, I still do as I please. If you want to watch something then just watch it don't wait for the opinions of someone on the internet or on some paper, you might be missing on stuff that you might end up liking just for following what some other person says or you might not like it, only you will know in the end. Of course it also helps to to not be an elitist when it comes to doing stuff, it makes life so much easier.
If only I can be as carefree as you about spending money for everything that I consider interesting

There’s also the issue of “audiences vote with their wallets”. If I think WB/DC churn out bad movies, I don’t want to support them for it. And I’m glad I didn’t support the ticket sales of MOS & BvS. But I’m considering buying BvS Blu-ray simply because it was a better movie than what they released in theaters.

For interesting movies that get trashed by my trusted critics and friends, I will still watch them and form my own opinions on them, but I’ll do it later on when it’s less money-consuming (like when they’re available for stream and rent, or just wait them air on TV ).
Old 2016-08-03, 23:46   Link #131
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Look guys bottomline is the fact that the buzz is pretty bad almost assures that the movie won't be that level of "special" I think most of us were hoping for...Certainly the trailers fed that impression...

There's always a bad Micheal Bay movie that the common denominator of fandom still likes because of the action, explosions, etc., but rarely are those movies held in critical high regard, generally...So i think a lot of disappointment not only lies in these opening reviews, but in the fact that (even if you think critics are dumb) when it gets trashed this much of the gate some of that ragging is probably justified...

Which in-turn, at least for me, dampens my excitment considerably...An adjustment to lower my expectations usually helps a bit.. (It did for BvS)...

Additionally, just hearing Leto is barely in the movie is mind-blowing although not unprecedented in Hollywood hijinks...
Old 2016-08-04, 00:19   Link #132
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Well, if you think about it, you have a huge cast to introduce, a setting and a plot. Add the fact that no villain has had a titular film of their own (see Avengers), the required exposition for every character just becomes too much, so I'd say even if it's not awesome movie of the year, it's what they could work with.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-04, 01:11   Link #133
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
If only I can be as carefree as you about spending money for everything that I consider interesting

There’s also the issue of “audiences vote with their wallets”. If I think WB/DC churn out bad movies, I don’t want to support them for it. And I’m glad I didn’t support the ticket sales of MOS & BvS. But I’m considering buying BvS Blu-ray simply because it was a better movie than what they released in theaters.

For interesting movies that get trashed by my trusted critics and friends, I will still watch them and form my own opinions on them, but I’ll do it later on when it’s less money-consuming (like when they’re available for stream and rent, or just wait them air on TV ).
Don't assume I'm care free when I spend my money, I'm just good at knowing how to manage it to the point that if I want something I'll get it without regrets even if it turns out to be a dissapointment.
Old 2016-08-04, 01:34   Link #134
B214

Just watch the movie, it wasn't really good nor was it really bad. There are many thing i think this movie didn't handle well but i'll praise one thing about this film, they nailed Amanda Waller's character perfectly.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-04, 01:44   Link #135
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Don't assume I'm care free when I spend my money, I'm just good at knowing how to manage it to the point that if I want something I'll get it without regrets even if it turns out to be a dissapointment.
Eh, I know how to manage my money too and technically have no financial problem whatsoever if I want to watch whatever movies in theaters every weekend. But I just don’t want to do that for reasons I already explained above. Watching movies in theaters is supposed to be a refreshing activity that should be pleasant. Rather than spend those money on things I have a chance of disliking and dis-enjoying, I’d rather spend it on something I know I will enjoy such as: dinner with my wife, fishing, or buy the newest action figure/kits that I know I will like . All those for the sake of guaranteed entertainment. Watching movies I’ll have a big chance of disliking in theaters is just not an experience I would want to have for my weekend entertainment. I'm okay with watching it later on TV or my PC though.
Old 2016-08-04, 03:04   Link #136
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Saw this film yesterday.
There are two tones in this film. One is darker tone like in BvS, the other one is happy go lucky tone like the one we see in Guardian of the Galaxy.
This is what torn the movie apart cause you clearly see, the happy tone is added there after initial shooting ended.

Anyway, Robbie Margot performance is top notch.

Last edited by Azuma Denton; 2016-08-04 at 08:42.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-04, 03:11   Link #137
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Robbie Maggot performance is top notch.
It's Margot. How could you call such a nice actress "maggot"!

And thanks for your insight
Old 2016-08-04, 08:42   Link #138
Azuma Denton
~AD~

^ ah sorry...
Editted it.
You're welcome...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-04, 13:21   Link #139
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So i just saw the film.
It was a good movie.
Unlike Batman V Superman, it wasn't long and there were a lot of funny moments.
Best character goes to Harley and her insane behavior.
Jared Leto's Joker was also good as this version is more punk-like with mafioso attitude.
The final battle wasn't epic like BvS but it wasn't bad.
It's clear some scenes were cut from this film so they might release a Director's cut.
All and all, a good, funny action DCU movie.
Old 2016-08-04, 16:00   Link #140
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
It's clear some scenes were cut from this film so they might release a Director's cut.
I find it funny that the official name for this thing is the "DC Extended Universe" yet this is the second movie that was cut down during editing and we'll probably have to wait for the home release to see the full produce.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote