AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Rating
Perfect 10 236 64.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 95 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 6.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-03-09, 13:14   Link #661
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Because deaf people still feel emotion. You're jumping onto the analogy and forgetting the original point.
Well, that depends on where you think emotions come from. Look at Star Trek, and compare a Vulcan like Mr. Spock to an android like Data. Vulcans have emotions, but choose to repress them. Data didn't actually have emotions, or at least he didn't until he got a new microchip that gave them to him. He may have wanted emotions and tried to imitate emotional behavior, but in the end he couldn't. Probably the best illustration of that point was the episode where he tried to be in a romantic relationship with a female crewmember and failed.

So which is Yuki? Is she more Vulcan or android?
Old 2011-03-09, 20:55   Link #662
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Well, that depends on where you think emotions come from. Look at Star Trek, and compare a Vulcan like Mr. Spock to an android like Data. Vulcans have emotions, but choose to repress them. Data didn't actually have emotions, or at least he didn't until he got a new microchip that gave them to him. He may have wanted emotions and tried to imitate emotional behavior, but in the end he couldn't. Probably the best illustration of that point was the episode where he tried to be in a romantic relationship with a female crewmember and failed.

So which is Yuki? Is she more Vulcan or android?
If Yuki didn't have emotions, we wouldn't HAVE the Haruhi movie.

Yuki wasn't designed for emotions, but since she is made to imitate a flesh human she has the capacity. It's like how Yuki technically doesn't need to eat food, but she does because her flesh body allows it.

What was unexpected, was that her emotions was able to over-ride her logical thinking. But then again, that's a sign of sentience. Emotion is a sort of madness, really.

I use to think Asakura have no emotions, and is only pretending. But now I have changed my mind; I believe she is developing emotions just like Yuki, it's just that her emotions aren't nice.
Old 2011-03-10, 05:27   Link #663
ijuinkun

Emotion may be madness, but without it we would not do many things that are necessary for the well-being of both ourselves and humankind as whole. For example, why should you have children? They are an immense drain on your time and money, and leave you exhausted. From a purely utilitarian perspective devoid of emotion, raising children is more trouble than they are worth--let somebody else worry about propagating the species and creating the future workforce to support your old age. But we raise them anyway, because we do have emotion, and feel affection and pride towards them.
Old 2011-03-13, 19:20   Link #664
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
If Yuki didn't have emotions, we wouldn't HAVE the Haruhi movie.
I strongly agree.

Quote:

Yuki wasn't designed for emotions, but since she is made to imitate a flesh human she has the capacity. It's like how Yuki technically doesn't need to eat food, but she does because her flesh body allows it.

What was unexpected, was that her emotions was able to over-ride her logical thinking. But then again, that's a sign of sentience.

I use to think Asakura have no emotions, and is only pretending. But now I have changed my mind; I believe she is developing emotions just like Yuki, it's just that her emotions aren't nice.
I think that you're right on all of this as well.

There's a certain flamboyancy to how Asakura carries herself when in "villain" mode (especially in the Disappearance movie) that suggests to me that Asakura might very well be enjoying this, and may have fun playing with malicious emotions. Her little pirouette after stabbing Kyon would be rather playful for a non-emotional being.

In a sense, Asakura may be the Lore to Yuki's Data (the Data with an emotional chip).
Old 2011-03-13, 21:31   Link #665
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Can the same be said for Achakura?

禁則事項です
Old 2011-03-28, 22:46   Link #666
CrimsonSunshine
We live to make tomorrow

I ranked it a perfect 10! But, mind you, I don't usually give anything such a high ranking, so, I'm not just throwing these out. The animation never bothered me at all, the storyline was well written, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, all and all. I could have chose to be a bit biased, and rank it a 9, for all of the Kyon/Yuki moments, but, I wouldn't do that. Especially seeing as I got my HaruKyon moments as well. I should really get around to reading the novel...

Nonetheless, this movie is a masterpiece, in my eyes. I loved every minute of it!
Old 2011-04-10, 05:12   Link #667
Holyrise
Haruhiism Zealot

It was outrageously good I had to watch it again over and over! The parts where Kyon go around to look for the SOS members made me feel as helpless as Kyon, especially Mikuru's part. Not to mention Yuki with emotion is so... irresistible! Surprises keep popping up, especially when Asakura... You know
Old 2011-04-16, 12:28   Link #668
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Whenever I watch it again, I always get this pain in my heart when Kyon understands why Yuki changed the world. And the music in this movie was friggin awesome..It's one of the many reasons I keep watching it
Old 2011-04-17, 08:19   Link #669
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I watched it, gave it 10 for its greatness, even plan to lowered down all of the score from my anime-planet list just to emphasis on how good it was.

Deep in thought for the moment, so maybe i will return for some comments sometime
Old 2011-04-17, 08:31   Link #670
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Wow, look at that:
Spoiler for MAL:

Everyone agrees it's the best movie ever, hands down.
Old 2011-04-17, 08:51   Link #671
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Which site ranking is it btw? It got top ranking in anime-planet also

I definitely will watch it again. I am dying to do so right now, but trying to content myself for the moment.
Old 2011-04-17, 10:02   Link #672
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

When a fanbase waits four years for something and it isn't a dispointment, and covers all needed points from a source material, and has as good or better quality that the original project? Of course it will be top listed.

It also says something when what would normally be the haters, aren't hating.
Old 2011-04-17, 10:26   Link #673
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Which site ranking is it btw? It got top ranking in anime-planet also

I definitely will watch it again. I am dying to do so right now, but trying to content myself for the moment.
My Anime List, of course.

^ F*ck haters gonna hate, this is beyond awesome.
Old 2011-04-26, 13:16   Link #674
Gordy Lechance

Who else wanted to ram a fist into Kyon's stomach and break his goddamn spie for his decision in the movie?

Yuki-chan's wish was NOT a selfish one: She made a world where not only she, but HE could be happy.

But NO!! Haruhi's world was much more "fun." So he takes away Yuki-chan's right to have a heart; to laugh, to cry, to love and to feel, just so everything can be more fun.

Fuck You Kyon, Fuck you.

Last edited by Gordy Lechance; 2011-04-27 at 03:54.
Old 2011-04-26, 14:14   Link #675
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy Lechance View Post
Who else wanted to ram a fist into Kyon's stomach and break his goddamn spine for his decision in the movie?
I still skip past that particular scene whenever I watch the movie, because it hurts to see Yuki's heart get shattered like that.

Quote:
Yuki-chan's wish was NOT a selfish one: She made a world where not only she, but HE could be happy.

But NO!! Haruhi's world was much more "fun." So he takes away Yuki-chan's right to have a heart; to laugh, to cry, to love and to feel, just so everything can be more fun.
I would argue that if you make a change for the sake of two people at the expense of everyone else, it's still selfish. Yuki's complete upheaval of the universe was a HUGE transgression against the lives of everyone involved (most notably the "specials": the time travelers, the espers, the ISDE and all of its components, etc.) Personal feelings aside, Kyon made the right decision to return the world to its original state.

Now, arguably, the whole sequence of events in this story is just one big plot device to get Kyon to realize and admit that, despite how much he complains, he really does prefer the crazy world with all aliens and espers and the like. It's pretty formulaic: You think the world sucks, so it gets changed on you and you realize how good things actually were. It's a Wonderful Life did that, as did A Christmas Carol (and I'm sure countless other works). You can't read too much into it because it's a means to an end, and little more.

Problem is, those stories were fun and harmless because the protagonists were just show hypotheticals and could-bes. Rejecting that world was expected, and no worse than waking up from a dream. But in this movie, that's not at all what happened. The world was literally and (potentially permanently) changed. Rejecting it meant throwing away the lives of the millions or billions (or more, depending on how far the change extended) of living, breathing, thinking individuals. Kyon's decision hits us so hard because it's truly a choice between two genocides: Do you accept that your world is gone for good, or do you save that existence at the cost of the new one? And unfortunately, it feels like the author didn't give it more thought than "i liek alturnut realitys."
Old 2011-04-26, 14:31   Link #676
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

However it gives us a glimps at what could be. Yuki is still evolving, therefore one day she might got back to a better version of what we see here. With her smiling again.

And on that day it will have been worth it.
Old 2011-04-26, 14:56   Link #677
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
So he takes away Yuki-chan's right to have a heart; to laugh, to cry, to love and to feel, just so everything can be more fun.
Okay, I'd probably be considered her biggest fan here, but... yeah, you're overreacting. The entire reason she did everything here is because she could feel things, and she's been able to since Melancholy. Same with the love thing. Her problem isn't that she can't feel anything, it's that she doesn't know how to show it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Kyon's decision hits us so hard because it's truly a choice between two genocides: Do you accept that your world is gone for good, or do you save that existence at the cost of the new one? And unfortunately, it feels like the author didn't give it more thought than "i liek alturnut realitys."
Genocide? That's also blowing things a bit out of proportion. The world was altered. Kyon didn't kill anyone with his decision. However, I do at least agree that Tanigawa probably didn't put much thought into what this story really did to the characters involved.

Can't believe there'd be a day when I'd have to defend not only Kyon, but also the story that made him go from being my favorite character to someone I want to severely injure.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2011-04-26, 15:53   Link #678
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Genocide? That's also blowing things a bit out of proportion. The world was altered. Kyon didn't kill anyone with his decision.
I call it genocide because that's what it might as well be. For some of the special people, their identity is tied up entirely in their role, especially in the case of Yuki's group. Once they lose their jobs, they lose who they are. A change that drastic, resulting in different friends, different skill sets, and different memories, makes someone a completely different person. It would be like someone telling me, "Okay, your name is now Bob, you're a garbageman, and by the way, this is your new past. Your old past is gone forever." They've just killed off who I am.

Also, don't forget that this is a world with a concrete future (as evidenced by the time travelers' presence and duties), meaning that Yuki's change precludes the existence of people that, in the old world, were very real. It's one thing for us to make one decision over another, precluding one future or another, because our future remains hypothetical. The people in the future, to the best of our knowledge, DON'T exist. In the Haruhi universe, however, the future is very strongly defined. People may live a year, ten years, a century in the future, but they do exist. They're more than a hypothesis or a chance possibility. By altering the world and altering that future, Yuki HAS essentially killed off all the people that now will never come into being.
Old 2011-04-26, 16:02   Link #679
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That would be speculation depending on if Yuki's changes would actually effect the future that greatly. She rewrite one year of time. Perhaps only locally even. Mikuru still existed so one must contend that a future were she is born still exists. So while the effect on Kyon, North High and some of the immediate area are effected, it does not mean that the future will be entirely different.

Also Mikuru's people's presented view of time does not seem to be as fixed as they would have us believe. I expect we may see more in the coming books 10 and 11 shortly.
Old 2011-04-26, 17:20   Link #680
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
That would be speculation depending on if Yuki's changes would actually effect the future that greatly. She rewrite one year of time. Perhaps only locally even. Mikuru still existed so one must contend that a future were she is born still exists. So while the effect on Kyon, North High and some of the immediate area are effected, it does not mean that the future will be entirely different..
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in one of the later books, don't Mikuru and Kyon go around doing certain things so that the future will happen as she remembers? And doesn't that only occur as a task from her future self? In other words, if time travelers don't exist, won't those events not happen, and won't the future be different?

Or, consider the switch of Kouyou Academy from all-girls to co-ed. I bet a ton of new relationships would spring up that simply wouldn't have happened otherwise, meaning, perhaps, that some marriages that would've happened in the original world don't happen in the new one. Now you have kids that are never born (victims of Yuki as I mentioned in my last post), and it only gets worse from there.

Those are the two examples that spring to mind, but I'm sure that there are others. Besides, I'm not saying that Yuki wearing glasses again is going to overhaul the future, but little things eventually will have a big impact, given enough time. When you're bowling, how many pins does the ball actually hit? One? Two? And yet, it's still possible to knock down all ten. The future is the same way.

Tags
best movie ever, haruhi suzumiya