AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 02
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 36 19.78%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 26.92%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 43 23.63%
7 out of 10: Good... 32 17.58%
6 out of 10: Average... 16 8.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.10%
3 out of 10: Bad... 1 0.55%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-15, 01:53   Link #201
OpenDoors

Regarding the potion issue: in episode one when we see the boar and wolf kill, we see the hit, then the hp bar turns to red and drains. This is similar to some fighting games that I've played like Virtual Fighter 5 where after each hit the amount of life that would be lost is first turned to red and "drains".

As for the episode itself, as an anime-only viewer, I don't really see much wrong-doing except the sudden formation of teams to fight boss and the stills. Though in all honesty, the stills didn't feel that long and is typical of unnamed characters in anime. The main duo's attack animation picked up pretty fast after and is enjoyable to watch.

I do wish I live long enough to see such game developed lol.
OpenDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 01:56   Link #202
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
Spoiler for Comparison to the novels:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-15 at 09:43. Reason: added spoiler tag and merged posts
Polarpew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 01:58   Link #203
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
It's not. But using that knowledge to your advantage in the real game -- getting to the good quests ahead of everyone and taking the best monster hunting zones while not using your knowledge to help n00bs -- is, especially when lives are on the line. Cactus Head does have a point -- the way Kirito (and apparently the other beta testers) ran off on the first day really killed the chance of organizing a single army to clear the game.
While I agree that the betas as a whole acted selfishly I would not go as far as to call it cheating, as the current logic is akin to calling someone a cheater at an exam because he studied all the past exams. And remember what that orange turd (as someone puts it so succinctly) said at the end of the first rant , he's sentiments IMO is largely from jealousy.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 02:08   Link #204
Eratas123

I'm calling him that because he's overgeneralizing ridiculously. "Any Beater is to immediately hand over all their item's and kiss our asses."

So if someone "played fair" so to say, but they were a beta tester, then they hand over all their items? Wow, great logic there.
Old 2012-07-15, 02:13   Link #205
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

From all of the reactions, I was expecting an awful episode, but it wasn't that bad at all . It wasn't as amazing as the first episode but it was definitely entertaining. Maybe it's because I'm an anime-only watcher .

The potion thing was a bit dumb, but other than that I didn't really see a big issue. SAO is still among the top of the anime that I'll look forward to every week.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 02:16   Link #206
novalysis

It's not terrible from an Anime viewer perspective- certainly, a step down from the excellent Episode 1, but you've got to be terribly naive to believe that every episode of an anime would be top notch stuff- even Gurren Laagan and Madoka Magica, and Fate Zero never managed that.

From a LN viewer perspective, I do bemoan the fast pacing, and believe that this episode would have been told better as two episodes.

Spoiler for Missing Scenes in Aria:
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 02:23   Link #207
Flere821
Lurker

My issues with the episode was basically how they didn't explain what a Beater (Beta Cheater) is, and you wouldn't have known unless you read the LNs. Or explain Kirito took it on himself to lessen the hate for Beta people and making himself into a scapegoat, a symbol of beta people that actually uses their info for selfish gains versus Beta players that apart from some more experience is just the same as the rest of them.

Asuna, well as a introduction to the main heroine (as evident from the OP and ED), it was kind of lack-lustre. From the episode we knows she's skilled with a sword, but knows nearly nothing about Virtual MMORPG games (eg, 'switch' and names under HP bar scenes). Hopefully future episodes will flesh out her character a bit more, for example like her background or her motivations.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 02:26   Link #208
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Or explain Kirito took it on himself to lessen the hate for Beta people and making himself into a scapegoat, a symbol of beta people that actually uses their info for selfish gains versus Beta players that apart from some more experience is just the same as the rest of them.
Everything else makes sense to me (although I think it's stuff that can be explained later as well, maybe aside from the Beater thing), but I kinda thought this was obvious. I didn't read the LN and it was really obvious to me why he did what he did. After all, why else would someone, after thinking about how everyone will start mistrusting each other, act completely out of character to garner the hate of everyone there?
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 02:31   Link #209
Meltyred

Well for LN viewers we go mad due to the potential left out, but in as a Anime, it's going smoothly.
Hopefully we can get a much better RNR adaptation.
It better not be downplaying the emotional struggles Kirito goes through....
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 02:36   Link #210
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

this thread reafirmed my belief that is something its getting an anime, dont read the original unless you already started, if so all you can do is pray.
Old 2012-07-15, 02:36   Link #211
Qilin
Romanticist

I'm pretty sure that this is where the flaws of the two mediums arise. This show has to strike the perfect balance between action and characterization, which might be hard given the each medium is better suited for different aspects of the story. Fate/Zero suffered from the exact same problems, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Spoiler for Missing Scenes in Aria:
Spoiler for novel comparison:
Old 2012-07-15, 02:37   Link #212
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltyred View Post
Well for LN viewers we go mad due to the potential left out, but in as a Anime, it's going smoothly.
Hopefully we can get a much better RNR adaptation.
It better not be downplaying the emotional struggles Kirito goes through....

Spoiler for Next Episode Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
I'm pretty sure that this is where the flaws of the two mediums arise. This show has to strike the perfect balance between action and characterization, which might be hard given the each medium is better suited for different aspects of the story. Fate/Zero suffered from the exact same problems, I believe.

Spoiler for novel comparison:
Very true, this was going to be an inevitable problem.

Spoiler for Light novel comparison:
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 02:47   Link #213
tomtkp

I did not have high expectation when I saw the episode list indicating that Aria will only have one episode in the anime. But nonetheless, I enjoyed this second episode because of good action scenes.

So, this episode I give a 8/10. Weaker than the first episode but okay as well.

Next episode, the anime will head into the side stories of Volume 2 with the first story being "Red-Nosed Reindeer". I am really looking forward to this episode as a LN fans.
Old 2012-07-15, 03:02   Link #214
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

-sigh-

Why is it that novels readers complained about everything on an episode that adapted a scene when the episode was very good? (eg. The Blackwater episode in Game of Thrones. Best episode of the season yet still complained by a few Songs of Fire and Ice novel fans over certain things.) Just view the various media as something different and not the same juts the Hellboy movies and comics; very different yet very good.

Well, anyway, as an anime viewer, I love this episode. A very action pack and character development episode. I love how it portrays Kirito who was only thinking himself and realize how selfish he was compared to Diabel who cared about the other players. When there was distrust and possibly infighting between the beta players and new players, Kirito placed the blame on himself as a no good cheater who didn't care about others so everyone focus their hatred on him.

Asuna's introduction was great. I admired her quick swordplay while possibly seeing Kirito was no bad guy.

Also, Yuki Kajura's music is till lovely. 10 out of 10.
Old 2012-07-15, 03:09   Link #215
Kafriel
Senior Guest

As an AO viewer, I felt the rush in the first few minutes and honestly expected Kirito to take his sweet time in towns and fields before braving the tower floors. Still, the pace got better afterwards, they practically formed an expedition of many parties to beat the boss and we got some exposure on the few introduced characters so far.

Two things I don't get: 1) why didn't Diabel take Kirito's potion? He definitely knew he'd die and there's nothing to gain from his death, sooo...yeah. 2) Why did people call Kirito a cheater? Cheaters in MMOs are hackers and scammers, what he did was conceal information about the game, which could have changed since beta anyway.

I also don't get the general hate and fear towards beta testers, if Kirito really was the best of them and only got up to 8F, they probably know nothing about the actual game, since they always take 20 levels or so before entering a meta state.

Anyways, I actually found the episode very good; love the OP/ED, controlled use of stills to cut some slack without ruining the battles, nice tracks to boost the tension and enough plot to give the viewers something to look forward to. Asuna is a rapier user, so she's got my attention :P
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 03:11   Link #216
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Ah, people were too noob and died already. >.>

Let's hope there's no bugs/lag, for that will be fatal. Solid episode again, and the pacing is very neat.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 03:11   Link #217
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Once again LN readers are complaining. Really guys, this is an ANIME. Changes must be made. Do we really need 2-3 episodes for the FIRST boss. This might be a 2cour series but there's a shit-ton of material to cover so I'm congratulating A-1 and its production staff for choosing to do this one episode. It was a bit brisk yeah, but it covered everything it needed pretty well.

A side character dies, moe girl Asuna takes off her hoodie and goes badass mode and Kirito also does a badass speech of his own when someone accuses him of being a beta tester. I seriously lold and applauded when he was like "I'm a beta tester. So what? U MAD?" Also I was amused at all the RPG terminologies. Having played Ultima Online, Everquest, World of Warcraft and a bunch of other MMOs in the past, it makes feel right at home

Badass, strong and generally non-wimpy males are pretty rare in anime these days so it's very refreshing to see someone like Kirito. This was one of the primary reasons I couldn't enjoy Accel World (let alone the MC being fat) and any character with Yuki Kaiji as VA is assumed default bad unless proven in my books. Kirito is also not "lawful good" or a "play by the books" kinda person too, which is awesome to see. I love characters who take initiative and make their own decisions.

Asuna was pretty badass too (on top of being pretty moe), and I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of further development from her in the future.

Excellent followup to the first ep.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-07-15 at 03:57.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 03:17   Link #218
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I thought it was pretty good, and did a decent job of capturing the MMO feel. If it seems more positive than the typical western MMO "pug", I'll attribute that to what I've been told is a far greater willingness to group up with others in asian MMOs played in asia.

It did bring back fond memories, a decade past, when strangers in western MMOs overwhelmingly helped each other, rather than ignore each other.

I'm a little unclear as to whether he put on an act there at the end or not. I feel like he did, though I'm not sure what the point was, other than possibly defusing the ugly situation by sheer blunt force of personality (and also serving as cover for any other beta testers that may have been afraid to speak up).
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 03:19   Link #219
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
From all of the reactions, I was expecting an awful episode, but it wasn't that bad at all . It wasn't as amazing as the first episode but it was definitely entertaining. Maybe it's because I'm an anime-only watcher .

The potion thing was a bit dumb, but other than that I didn't really see a big issue. SAO is still among the top of the anime that I'll look forward to every week.
Yeah, kind of weird coming out of that episode pretty satisfied to find the reactions here . I thought it did a fine job following up on the first episode and starting to show how the people in that world are adapting to their situation. Some seem to be hiding in the first town afraid to take action and some are charging on ahead, though clearly with more caution than they would in a normal game.

I didn't expect the Beta testers to get so much hate. Figured that most would be focusing their anger at the guy who has trapped them in this death game. Though maybe I shouldn't be too surprised since hating on people who they can see is easier than someone they can't reach.

Kirito really did a good job playing the villain there. Just had to enjoy him shutting up Kibaou. God that idiot really annoyed me in this one. Pretty much forced Kirito to act like that so the hate would shift from Beta Testers in general towards him. Though of course Kirito knows that doing this is going to be hurting his chances to survive since (presumably) few are going to be eager to team up with a Beater. Doing a good thing for others just added to his personal suffering. In a sense he probably just told the truth with a negative attitude. Like he told Klein he made it up a few several floors so he certainly would have seen different enemy types and have greater experience than the average beta player. Just taking in all that hatred so people can focus on what really matters which is cooperating in order to get out of the game alive.

Definitely curious about Asuna's character. While I could understand some preferring to take action than sitting and losing themselves, seems to be more to it with her. Preferring to die in a fight than hanging around in that first town. Definitely has plenty of skill despite the fact that she doesn't apparently know much about these games.

I thought the fight was alright. Didn't even think much of the still shots since when Kirito and Asuna were in the action they stole the show.

Have to say this series will be interesting to watch. Just think the idea of real death along side health bars and in an MMO environment will be interesting. Can literally see someone's life draining away in this series.

Anyways I thought it was a solid episode.
Old 2012-07-15, 03:26   Link #220
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Once again LN readers are complaining. Really guys, this is an ANIME. Changes must be made. Do we really need 2-3 episodes for the FIRST boss. This might be a 2cour series but there's a shit-ton of material to cover so I'm congratulating A-1 and its production staff for choosing to do this one episode. It was a bit brisk yeah, but it covered everything it needed pretty well.
We get that things have to be changed, but with little tweaks in the writing here and there, they could've included things that would've made

1)The characterization of Asuna a hell lot more interesting then just a badass heroine
2)The concept of beaters much more significant, and Diabel not-so-noble final act a lot more understandable. The guy came off far too much like a white knight by the end, which made Kirito seem like he was carrying on his will, when really in the original story Kirito made a extremely huge personal sacrifice at that point.

Otherwise, from anime-only view, it's a perfectly fine episode, not quite as good as the first, but decent in it's own right. It's because we read the novels that we see wasted potential, what could've been left out and what should've been prioritised to make the episode even better.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion