AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-20, 01:54   Link #1541
ThoHell

I think they revealed the 3 monsters in order for a reason, from Korom-Teru. I don't think Saki will be facing her sis until the 2nd monster is taken down. Man did you see the look on the reports face last episode when she thought for the slightest second that Saki and Teru were related and while watching her play. I mean, she was horrified.
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 02:13   Link #1542
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoHell View Post
I think they revealed the 3 monsters in order for a reason, from Korom-Teru. I don't think Saki will be facing her sis until the 2nd monster is taken down. Man did you see the look on the reports face last episode when she thought for the slightest second that Saki and Teru were related and while watching her play. I mean, she was horrified.
Level ups for Saki to defeat first boss moster... incoming! Followed, no doubt, by grinding to prepare for the second boss monster.

I guess all competition stories are really RPG games at heart.

As for the reporter, I'm not quite sure what's up with her and I can't get jaalin's caption on that photo out of my mind now ("first time seeing 2girls1cup"). Ugh, ugh, there is not enough mind bleach out there.

I think she's just one of those more logical players and finds the idea of people being super lucky outside of her world view. In a way, she's a lot like Nodoka (and this may be part of the reason why she's more comfortable with Nodoka and Nodoka's play style). She doesn't want to acknowledge it - when she talks to Fujita-pro in ep. 6, she says it's superstition and doesn't believe in it - but she's being forced to confront it given how the round's going so far.

That or Teru is a secret axe murderer who shows her true self by slaughtering her hapless opponents and freaks out reporters by answering questions with a creepy smile while the blood of her opponents liberally coats her axe and drips down onto the ground...
Old 2009-07-20, 02:20   Link #1543
ThoHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalorak View Post

That or Teru is a secret axe murderer who shows her true self by slaughtering her hapless opponents and freaks out reporters by answering questions with a creepy smile while the blood of her opponents liberally coats her axe and drips down onto the ground...
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? Lol, j/k! That was quite a pretty picture you painted there.... very.... Indeed it makes you want to know huh? I think Teru is like a freaking goddess from look at that reporter. I want to see her, after the match with Saki, appear and crush Koromo in front of everyone's eyes. That would be awesome. Or they make one huge scene about how Saki and Teru are sisters. Everyone, besides Nodoka, would be like WTF????????????
Old 2009-07-20, 02:43   Link #1544
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Quote:
... I'm sort of hoping they just wait and aim for a second season instead for the nationals tournament.
I wish for this one too,but considering Gonzo's financial situation which is pretty similar to Ikeda Kana's situation right now,i think it won't gonna happen.
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 03:03   Link #1545
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Oh. Speaking of monsters, very disappointed that the animators were lazy and didn't add in this shot of Koromo for when she scares Tsuruga and instead substituted some weird caricature of Koromo with glowing blue face.

Old 2009-07-20, 03:05   Link #1546
emauser

Quote:
Level ups for Saki to defeat first boss moster... incoming! Followed, no doubt, by grinding to prepare for the second boss monster.

Well as Hisa described the match: "The flower garden blooming under the full moon". Add Teru to that and you get a mass slaughter in flower garden blooming under full moon. That's a nice picture. I wonder what the fourth monster could add to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoHell View Post
I think Teru is like a freaking goddess from look at that reporter. I want to see her, after the match with Saki, appear and crush Koromo in front of everyone's eyes. That would be awesome. Or they make one huge scene about how Saki and Teru are sisters. Everyone, besides Nodoka, would be like WTF????????????
There no doubt will be a scene when they discover that Saki and Teru are sisters. "One of the monsters has a sister??? We're all doomed." Wonder how Koromo would react to that? Do you think she met and lost to Teru at the nationals?
emauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 03:08   Link #1547
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Oh. Speaking of monsters, very disappointed that the animators were lazy and didn't add in this shot of Koromo for when she scares Tsuruga and instead substituted some weird caricature of Koromo with glowing blue face.
They did, but as I said, I don't have expectation since on the screen, it'll be nowhere near intense as it's on black and white page.
Old 2009-07-20, 03:18   Link #1548
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
They did, but as I said, I don't have expectation since on the screen, it'll be nowhere near intense as it's on black and white page.
When Naruto goes Kyuubi the first time on the Wave Mission, there's a scene where he just freaks out and it's only black and white lines. In terms of sheer visual impact, that ranks up there. I was expecting something similar with respect to Koromo. That would have made this episode for me.

Instead, I'm just "eh." The manga did much better in terms of portraying Koromo.

Quote:
Well as Hisa described the match: "The flower garden blooming under the full moon". Add Teru to that and you get a mass slaughter in flower garden blooming under full moon. That's a nice picture. I wonder what the fourth monster could add to this?
It's even white lillies and a white moon. Given the connotation of white in Asian cultures with death, it fits in with the mass slaughter. Additionally, the red on white makes a dramatic statement, no? Now add in the connotation of the number four in Asian culture - also death - and the stage is set for ... well, I'm not sure what beyond turning Saki into a Blood+ variant, but it'd probably be memorable.

Edit: Oh, oh. VAMPIRE. That's what's missing. The moon glares down and flower petals float in the air with every slice as the axe wielder faces off against a vampiric mage. When Saki wins, more flowers bloom and they grow vines that strangle everyone and to add in the fan service that GONZO is known for, there are thorns and ripped school uniforms. When Koromo does, the moon gains brightness as a tsunami wipes everyone out. When Teru wins, everything just gets splashed with blood, of course. When the vampiric mage aka Jindai wins, it's like a dark version of Nodocchi that sends out magic beams that obliterates everyone.

... Wow. I don't know where this came from. >_>

Last edited by tjalorak; 2009-07-20 at 03:36.
tjalorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 03:31   Link #1549
kniteowl

looks like Saki is gonna be powered up and ready to release her Persona Phantom.

I can't wait & see what she does... maybe something kool,

Simutaneous Rons?
Heavenly Hand?
4 Kans to force a draw?

I dunno but it should be epic.

Hopefully Kodomo Koromo will be shocked

btw I didn't understand the Kanjiki & Kanbara talk, can someone explain?
kniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 03:52   Link #1550
Trans-Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
btw I didn't understand the Kanjiki & Kanbara talk, can someone explain?
I am guessing that it was just a mistake in interpreting a kanji character in Kanbara's name, and Fujita misinterpreted her name the whole time. Like how the 日 can be interpreted in more than 1 way as in 日曜日 (nichi-you-bi; Sunday). Or how 人 can be interpretted as nin, jin, hito, or another depending on how and when you use the character. She could also just have misread her name completely. But I am not sure myself, and am only guessing.
Trans-Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 03:56   Link #1551
Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by margafred View Post
I wish for this one too,but considering Gonzo's financial situation which is pretty similar to Ikeda Kana's situation right now,i think it won't gonna happen.
Poor Gonzo ...
Anyway I don't think Gonzo owns rights for whole "Saki" merchandise, they are only ordered to make anime, so imho next season (if any) can be easily done by another studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
looks like Saki is gonna be powered up and ready to release her Persona Phantom.
But after 1st hanchan she looks more like she will need huge doping in pause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans-Fat View Post
I am guessing that it was just a mistake in interpreting a kanji character in Kanbara's name, and Fujita misinterpreted her name the whole time. Like how the 日 can be interpreted in more than 1 way as in 日曜日 (nichi-you-bi; Sunday). Or how 人 can be interpretted as nin, jin, hito, or another depending on how and when you use the character. She could also just have misread her name completely. But I am not sure myself, and am only guessing.
Kanji in Japanese names are even worse, so maybe your guess is right
Old 2009-07-20, 04:50   Link #1552
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans-Fat View Post
I got something completely different from that scene. Fujita-pro thought Kujiki (Yumi, the captain) was the Tsuruga mahjong president but according to the male announcer, Kanbara (Satomi, the chuuken) is the real president.
Old 2009-07-20, 04:53   Link #1553
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
I don't know if it was ever confirmed but if Ryuumonbuchi did well at nationals - for some reason, I'm thinking they made it to the semifinals before being knocked out - then Saki and company should be able to make it there as well fairly easily. Let's say they end at 18, leaving 7 episodes for the nationals.

One episode of combined training and awards for prefectural tournament, probably with the revelation of who Saki's sister is and reactions. Then time skip to the national tournament. First half episode shows Kiyosumi blowing through the tournament, some shock and awe by people starting to realize that it wasn't just a fluke that Kiyosumi beat Ryuumonbuchi. After that, slow down for 1.5 episode on semifinals.

Last four episodes focus on national finals.

But this would be a VERY fast run through and we wouldn't get much drama or focus on Kiyosumi's various players nor on the opponents. Pacing would be off and part of what makes Saki (the show) so fun would be lost.

... I'm sort of hoping they just wait and aim for a second season instead for the nationals tournament.
That means. . an anime original plot ? If they're going to show the national tournament, regardless whether it's original or not. . then I'm in

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 06:22   Link #1554
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:
I got something completely different from that scene. Fujita-pro thought Kujiki (Yumi, the captain) was the Tsuruga mahjong president but according to the male announcer, Kanbara (Satomi, the chuuken) is the real president.

Exactly. Didn't anyone watch the episode with subs?
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 06:52   Link #1555
uis

Yeah same... i am watching the sub...
Anyway Koromo should more scary like in manga... Hmmm Saki rinshan awesome in anime but Koromo haitei just decent...

Anyway cant wait for Kana crying in next ep ^^... Kana sooo cute...
*Kana is my 2nd fav after Momo*

-It is okay if you are weak. I will grab your hand and realize your dream-
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 14:11   Link #1556
Wildclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
There's only 51 chapters out, so let's hope they at least hold for at least 2 more episodes. D:
51 + 3 actually. Most people miss that Saki had three intro chapters at the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thohell
I think next episode cover like chapter 47-50 or something like that.
That would be incorrect. As there seems to be so much talk about the manga and anime progression, here is a quick mapping between anime and manga. This is of course just approximate, but should provide a pretty accurate picture of progression.

() = partial chapter

1: Intro 1-2
2: Intro 3
3: 1-2
4: 3-5
5: 6
6: 7-8 + (9)
7: (9) + 10-11
8: (12) + (13)
9: (12) + (13) + 14-15
10: 16-19
11: 20-23
12: 24-25
13: 26-30
14: 31-32
15: 33-35
16: 36-39 + (40)

And from the preview:

17: (40) + 41-42 + probably 43

I can't see chapters 44-50 taking less than 2 episodes as there is a bit of material in there that can fill out the anime. Also, ending an episode after chapter 50 seems natural. The rest of the game after that hasn't been drawn (well episode 51 has), but it should be either 1 or 2 more episodes.

I think the anime in general has been done very well and has followed the manga very well, even in the details. Episode 8 was the only real filler, and even that one contained some manga pieces. Episode 5 may have been a bit slow, but you couldn't really make it a half episode. Beyond that the pace has been great. Sure, running out of manga will happen, but I can't see any good way to slow down the pace without hurting the presentation severely.
Wildclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 14:21   Link #1557
Trans-Fat

That means I won't be able to get to see my chapter 48 get animated before I leave on august 3rd
Old 2009-07-20, 15:31   Link #1558
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's starting to remind me of Yugioh. Oh, well, at least there won't be heretofore unheard of tiles. That transport people into some kind of virtual reality or whatever.

I hope.

Also, looks like it'll be on next episode. Go go yuri-powered mahjong.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 17:28   Link #1559
Trans-Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's starting to remind me of Yugioh. Oh, well, at least there won't be heretofore unheard of tiles. That transport people into some kind of virtual reality or whatever.
My thoughts exactly!! The whole vibe I have been receiving in the past couple of episodes reminds me of the Pegasus battle. I thought I was the only person who felt like I was watching yugioh all over again. Ahhh the memories, so nostalgic.
Old 2009-07-20, 18:11   Link #1560
ThoHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildclaw View Post
51 + 3 actually. Most people miss that Saki had three intro chapters at the start.

That would be incorrect. As there seems to be so much talk about the manga and anime progression, here is a quick mapping between anime and manga. This is of course just approximate, but should provide a pretty accurate picture of progression.

() = partial chapter

1: Intro 1-2
2: Intro 3
3: 1-2
4: 3-5
5: 6
6: 7-8 + (9)
7: (9) + 10-11
8: (12) + (13)
9: (12) + (13) + 14-15
10: 16-19
11: 20-23
12: 24-25
13: 26-30
14: 31-32
15: 33-35
16: 36-39 + (40)

And from the preview:

17: (40) + 41-42 + probably 43

I can't see chapters 44-50 taking less than 2 episodes as there is a bit of material in there that can fill out the anime. Also, ending an episode after chapter 50 seems natural. The rest of the game after that hasn't been drawn (well episode 51 has), but it should be either 1 or 2 more episodes.

I think the anime in general has been done very well and has followed the manga very well, even in the details. Episode 8 was the only real filler, and even that one contained some manga pieces. Episode 5 may have been a bit slow, but you couldn't really make it a half episode. Beyond that the pace has been great. Sure, running out of manga will happen, but I can't see any good way to slow down the pace without hurting the presentation severely.
Yeah forgive me, forgot how slow paced this series is. been a while since i read the manga, so I forgot there were dragging details after Saki's.... Sometimes you forget that stuff which seem like it should occur and go by fast gets incredibly stretch out in animes. But still, I don't see how a conclusion, a decent one, be reached based on Saki's original goal. Might be the start of her goal, but it won't be the finished unless we get some super fast rushing.

Last edited by ThoHell; 2009-07-20 at 18:36.

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen