AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-15, 11:59   Link #21
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I'm always excited about US politics in whatever shape and form it happens. I loved Marco Rubio's, the Republican savior, rebuttal to Hussein Obama's SOTU speech. I then later loved the rendition done by Colbert to reenact Marco Rubio's speech in a more dramatic fashion.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...e-of-the-rubio

Hopefully, the savior who will bring the Hispanic votes to the Republican Party will be ready to speak again after some intensive speech therapy. That said, I'm looking forward to 2014 more than 2016, cause it's 2014 that will be far more interesting. Yes?
Old 2013-02-15, 12:23   Link #22
james0246

Sorry Casey. Better luck in 2.5 years...
Old 2013-02-15, 16:46   Link #23
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Speaking of Stephen Colbert and the (premature) talk of the 2016 presidential election, one of my favourite segments from last year's show had to be the one where he blew up and said enough is enough (for the first minute any way ). It managed to capture what I had felt from hearing about the past campaign and what I thought about further talk about the next one despite it not starting till years ahead.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...-the-white-orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Hopefully, the savior who will bring the Hispanic votes to the Republican Party will be ready to speak again after some intensive speech therapy. That said, I'm looking forward to 2014 more than 2016, cause it's 2014 that will be far more interesting. Yes?
I felt bad for Rubio to be honest. He was very clearly under enormous pressure to be the GOP's ''saviour'' when he was making that rebuttal, and while it was certainly funny segment, I can't help but sympathise with him. I have gone through my own share of early embarrassing presentations.
Old 2013-02-15, 16:46   Link #24
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Good ol' Elizabeth Warren asking the tough questions none of her colleagues have the balls enough to ask themselves.

Old 2013-02-15, 18:21   Link #25
kyp275
Meh

Indeed, good luck on her endeavors, and hopefully she can get something done.

I'm not gonna hold my breath though :/
Old 2013-02-15, 19:26   Link #26
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Good ol' Elizabeth Warren asking the tough questions none of her colleagues have the balls enough to ask themselves.

I like her style. She was selected for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau... only to be blocked by the Senate...

Then she follows that up by working her way into the Senate, and heads the committee overseeing the very issues she was meant to tackle.

Congress is full of cowards and backstabbing weasels. Warren is not one of 'em.
Old 2013-02-15, 22:55   Link #27
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
let's talk about the next president lol
Whoever it is, they will talk about helping the poor and middle class. While people starve in the streets, they will enjoy their warm, comfortable residence, and eat their well prepared, clean food, and have ready access to the best, tasty water. And they will be protected by armed guards, since only the elite get to protect themselves. All at the cost of taxpayers.

And from this place of comfort they will talk about helping people. Would they take a hit to their salary as a symbolic gesture that they are truly in this with us? No. Meanwhile they will continue to order troops and fight enemies that they will never see but urge them on while ignoring the sacrifices they made for this country by not respecting the Constitution they swore to uphold and many a soldier perished to keep those ideals running. Because you know, it's glorious to die for one's country as long as oneself is not at risk so let's be a bit more reckless to ensure the headlines. Nope, let's just talk and give an illusion of choice in fall 2016

So whoever gets elected in 2016. Congratulations, and fuck you. May you stay constipated forever while the peasantry works to maintain your lifestyle.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-16, 00:39   Link #28
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
You've reminded me of one of my favorite sayings- Rich man's war, poor man's fight.

And Heaven forbid any of them take a pay cut! Why, that would mean they'd have to give up on all their luxurious, fancy items like limousines and suits only they can afford! [/sarcasm]

On a slightly off-topic note, I've come up with a recent theory: if you want to see what truly fuels a nation and what people care the most about, see where they put the majority of their money, willingly. Mostly it's done for entertainment and in the case of politicians, TV ads

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Old 2013-02-16, 20:45   Link #29
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Whoever it is, they will talk about helping the poor and middle class. While people starve in the streets, they will enjoy their warm, comfortable residence, and eat their well prepared, clean food, and have ready access to the best, tasty water. And they will be protected by armed guards, since only the elite get to protect themselves. All at the cost of taxpayers.

And from this place of comfort they will talk about helping people. Would they take a hit to their salary as a symbolic gesture that they are truly in this with us? No. Meanwhile they will continue to order troops and fight enemies that they will never see but urge them on while ignoring the sacrifices they made for this country by not respecting the Constitution they swore to uphold and many a soldier perished to keep those ideals running. Because you know, it's glorious to die for one's country as long as oneself is not at risk so let's be a bit more reckless to ensure the headlines. Nope, let's just talk and give an illusion of choice in fall 2016

So whoever gets elected in 2016. Congratulations, and fuck you. May you stay constipated forever while the peasantry works to maintain your lifestyle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
You've reminded me of one of my favorite sayings- Rich man's war, poor man's fight.

And Heaven forbid any of them take a pay cut! Why, that would mean they'd have to give up on all their luxurious, fancy items like limousines and suits only they can afford! [/sarcasm]

On a slightly off-topic note, I've come up with a recent theory: if you want to see what truly fuels a nation and what people care the most about, see where they put the majority of their money, willingly. Mostly it's done for entertainment and in the case of politicians, TV ads
Nicely put! The next president will be chosen via Facebook and Twitter, and any other popular social media hyped by the press.
No longer is it "Deeds not words", it's now "Words not deeds". A sad state of affairs for a country known as being the last bastion of hope and freedom!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2013-02-16, 21:28   Link #30
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
A sad state of affairs for a country known as being the last bastion of hope and freedom!
I don't think we consider it the last bastion of hope and freedom.
Old 2013-02-16, 23:03   Link #31
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Congress is full of cowards and backstabbing weasels. Warren is not one of 'em.
Warren 2016!

Because.

*goes cry in a corner and whimpers about how it all just ended, just ended, make it stop!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause
No longer is it "Deeds not words", it's now "Words not deeds".
It was never Deeds not Words anyway. The Attlee's of the world don't get elected that often.
Old 2013-02-16, 23:17   Link #32
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
Nicely put! The next president will be chosen via Facebook and Twitter, and any other popular social media hyped by the press.
No longer is it "Deeds not words", it's now "Words not deeds". A sad state of affairs for a country known as being the last bastion of hope and freedom!
As I saw ages ago elsewhere on the net, there's a question of "Is our world more like 1984 or Brave New World?" IMO, it's a mixture of both, but more recently the Brave New World aspect has been the stronger side

And as for the US being the "last bastion of hope and freedom"... where's that The Pressroom clip (or whatever HBO show it was) when you need it about America supposedly being the "greatest country" or something? Granted, there are certain things that America (and for the record, I'm talking about the USA portion) has greater freedom on than others... but at the end of the day, IMO, it's mostly just a mentality left over and general reinforced from the fact that the US was one of the winners of WWII (hell, if it weren't for the US coming in until after Pearl Harbor, and the fact that Pearl Harbor was the only attack on US soil, I doubt, I doubt it would've even become a superpower, but that's a debate for a History Thread)

Old 2013-02-17, 04:20   Link #33
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
And as for the US being the "last bastion of hope and freedom"... where's that The Pressroom clip (or whatever HBO show it was) when you need it about America supposedly being the "greatest country" or something? Granted, there are certain things that America (and for the record, I'm talking about the USA portion) has greater freedom on than others... but at the end of the day, IMO, it's mostly just a mentality left over and general reinforced from the fact that the US was one of the winners of WWII (hell, if it weren't for the US coming in until after Pearl Harbor, and the fact that Pearl Harbor was the only attack on US soil, I doubt, I doubt it would've even become a superpower, but that's a debate for a History Thread)
I will only say this; the claim that America is "The last bastion of hope and freedom" might sound nice to Americans, but to everyone else, even allies like Australia, it is a grievous insult.

I know people don't mean it like that. But it sounds like a secular version of a demand for a non-religious crusade on the rest of the planet. Australians talk about Australia being the best as a matter of course; but we don't lay claim that every other nation are degenerate Sodom who are all North Koreas. And that's why it is offensive. It doesn't sound like patriotic speech, but more like "We will one day crush all inferior nations beneath us".

Just want to make that observation.
Old 2013-02-17, 07:12   Link #34
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

The US does have a fair claim to being "the greatest country on earth", due to it's size, power and cultural influence. But it has no justifiable claim to being morally best on earth. Likewise, I don't think it can claim to be the most "free" country either. Other societies are much more permissive then the USA.

Of course, freedom isn't everything.
Old 2013-02-17, 07:52   Link #35
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
That is a dumb statement.

If it wasn't for legal hegemons filibustering bills to permit below-16 marriage, certain countries wouldn't have faced working population shortages.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-02-17, 09:54   Link #36
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I will only say this; the claim that America is "The last bastion of hope and freedom" might sound nice to Americans, but to everyone else, even allies like Australia, it is a grievous insult.
Nobody should feel insulted. Despite what may be said, look at what is done: America has the highest incarceration rate not just among developed nations, but in the world. Australians could get a good laugh out of that. One could easily mistake America's origins as being that of a penal colony that just never changed
Old 2013-02-17, 11:53   Link #37
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
The US does have a fair claim to being "the greatest country on earth", due to it's size, power and cultural influence. But it has no justifiable claim to being morally best on earth. Likewise, I don't think it can claim to be the most "free" country either. Other societies are much more permissive then the USA.

It's a fairly moot exercise in semantics at this point though, as everyone has a different idea of what makes a country "great".

As for which country is "morally best"... it'd also depend on which cultural norm you're using as the standard, though frankly I think every country probably have more than enough skeletons in the closet for them to try to claim to be moral anyway
Old 2013-02-17, 11:57   Link #38
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
It's a fairly moot exercise in semantics at this point though, as everyone has a different idea of what makes a country "great".

As for which country is "morally best"... it'd also depend on which cultural norm you're using as the standard, though frankly I think every country probably have more than enough skeletons in the closet for them to try to claim to be moral anyway
Of course, the scary part is that a nation who thinks they are morally superior might feel justified in "Freeing" the other countries with their weapons...

And we have seen that before. The British Empire. It's not new, really.
Old 2013-02-17, 12:52   Link #39
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post

I know people don't mean it like that. But it sounds like a secular version of a demand for a non-religious crusade on the rest of the planet. Australians talk about Australia being the best as a matter of course; but we don't lay claim that every other nation are degenerate Sodom who are all North Koreas. And that's why it is offensive. It doesn't sound like patriotic speech, but more like "We will one day crush all inferior nations beneath us".

Just want to make that observation.
I'm guessing my sarcasm didn't quite translate through the net, but no surprise there. Anyways, this video has been posted before in another thread, but I love the rant the guy goes on:

The rant itself begins around 4:45

Old 2013-02-17, 13:48   Link #40
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I'm guessing my sarcasm didn't quite translate through the net, but no surprise there.
To be frank I am aware you are on my side of the argument. I wasn't posting that to antagonise your points but merely to state my own.