AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-15, 18:41   Link #101
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Again, I'll say that the anime left out too many juicy details.
Old 2008-07-17, 17:35   Link #102
Taler
http://typemoon.us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Venus View Post
Did this person really read the manga/watch the anime and know that Arima's parents were the exact opposite?,

but I'll refrain myself from tearing it apart any further.
Well I have no loyalty to the guide, but I she's right that his family's a long line of famous doctors. His immediate father is a pianist, but still a brilliant one. I think it fits into her point very well.

Quote:
I'll have to rewatch it again though. It's definitely a must-watch despite all those negative aspects. You'd be missing out on something really great if you pass this one up.
Agreed 10000x

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I liked the anime (probably more than the manga), but if you consider that the animation degraded rather swiftly (at ep 14 and on) followed by endless recap , followed by two episodes of " The story so far!" , as a whole, that doesn't fair too well.
Agree here too unfortunately, but the first 4 episodes were a work of art. 18 was a bright spot in the second half, or so many people said.
Taler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 01:45   Link #103
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taler View Post
Agree here too unfortunately, but the first 4 episodes were a work of art. 18 was a bright spot in the second half, or so many people said.
I'm just getting off a high right now from reading through the manga in 4 days. This constitutes my first minor excusion into shoujo but I thought it was fairly well done. Reading the criticisms you've posted/linked to, however, I can't say I disagree. I suppose I'll head over to the manga thread to peruse any further discussion.

Yet the anime. I rejected watching it almost immediately due to its status as an abortion. Although the reception is generally positive, I assumed it was merely carry-over from the source material. From what I have read here, this does not seem the case?

Given the anime specific praise I may pursue this further. Additionally however I will also echo some questions raised earlier in this thread. Is there any further information on Anno Hideaki's involvement in this title? What conflicts specifically lead to his departure and the loss of funding? And the tangential question: are Anno Hideaki's live action works any good?

As apparently Gainax was instructed to remain faithful to the original story, I am now curious as to this anime's existance as an independant entity. Any elaboration would be appreciated.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-20, 15:40   Link #104
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Given the anime specific praise I may pursue this further.
Honestly, if you have read the manga I would just let it go at that and skip the anime entirely, its not worth watching. It starts out well enough but around half way through starts to fall apart and ends up as an almost unwatchable train wreck at the end.
Old 2008-09-20, 21:34   Link #105
Aquillion

Still, no matter how you cut it, the anime (until it falls apart) is better than the vast majority of shows out there... it's worth watching on that basis alone.
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-20, 21:53   Link #106
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Also, it featured the debut of many seiyu. Chiba Saeko has gone a long way, from Tsubaki to Nina in Code Geass.
Old 2008-09-21, 16:06   Link #107
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
Still, no matter how you cut it, the anime (until it falls apart) is better than the vast majority of shows out there... it's worth watching on that basis alone.
I'd like to bring up a point regarding the anime:
The whole reason it's "crappy" compared to the manga, is because Tsuda didn't like how it was coming along. The recap episodes must've come along while she was negotiating with Gainax. Apparently, the series was becoming much too comical for her original vision, so she left Gainax, and took the rights to the series along with her.
OtseisRagnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 13:37   Link #108
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

And this is the reason that most anime companies now buy the exclusive contract from the mangaka. Sometimes they produce crap and sometimes it is a work of art.

Was Kare Kano destined to become another Eva or another Petite Princess Yucie? (Both are Gainax) We will never know.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 13:40   Link #109
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
And this is the reason that most anime companies now buy the exclusive contract from the mangaka. Sometimes they produce crap and sometimes it is a work of art.

Was Kare Kano destined to become another Eva or another Petite Princess Yucie? (Both are Gainax) We will never know.
I think it was, if you read the manga, it'd be quite obvious that you made a very good comparison.
OtseisRagnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 10:58   Link #110
KimmyChan

I seriously must check out this anime at some point as it's right up my shoujo street
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 22:05   Link #111
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Much delayed response to this one - I recently encountered the DVDs at a shop that sells used anime DVDs and picked it up because the price was not something I could ignore and there were many who said they enjoyed the story. It's pretty obvious that partway thru the series there were a number of problems and/or disagreements with the manga-ka, producer, and production staff. It almost got to be comical when things started going off the rails. I'll definetely read the manga now but I found myself more interested in the Takefumi x Sakura pairing than the overwrought situation with Arima.

Worth a watch but it was pretty obvious when they were burning all of the cutouts of the characters during the closing credits of one of the later episodes that was definetely a statement (like a big raised middle finger) I've never seen in the closing credits to an anime before. That wasn't just done for fun - that was a statement being made.
Old 2012-04-15, 22:15   Link #112
Theowne
耳をすませば

Yes, watching Kare Kano in its entirety is somewhat depressing as it goes off the rails pretty steeply. However, after all these years and hundreds of school-love series after it, I still consider the first four episodes of this series, culminating in the boardroom scene, to form something of a minor classic of the "young love" genre.

I've barely read the manga and remember very little about the story arcs and characters introduced after that. But those first four episodes will always have an impact on me.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, romance, school life, shojo