AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-01-13, 13:39   Link #1
Lamentofsin
The lost dreamer...

Anime with Gaijin MC?

Now I know it's crazy...And I am not being picky about animation style, genre, or even if it wasn't a great anime...

I always see what I interpret as foreign women or girls, as either the Female Lead or one of the Supporting lead roles. But I can't ever remember if there has ever been a foreign male role.

Preferably English(American, UK, Australian, etc), Caucasian, either the Main character or "one of" the main characters.

-A
Lamentofsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 13:40   Link #2
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Full metal panic series
Gundam 00
and probably a whole lot more.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 15:40   Link #3
Zellami

Perhaps only Hellsing and Fullmetal Alchemist could withstand the level of popularity of Naruto and Bleach. However, depending on the searching options, one could find some. Usually, tags or genres like "European setting", "Fantasy", and "Bishounen" lead the way.

For example:

L/R Licensed by Royalty
Dantalian no Shoka
How'ls Moving Castle
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth
Gunslinger Girl
Tiger & Bunny [Barnaby Brooks Jr. and the whole cast, excluding Kaburagi's family]
Jormungand
Last Exile, Glass no Kantai
Blassreiter, Allison x Lillia
Pumpkin Scissors

or
Berserk, Claymore, Tales of Eternia, Tales of the Abyss

or Hetalia Axis Powers

or Hungry Heart Wild Striker [2 of the main leads are gaijins - a Brazilian and a half-Swedish]

or, easily, Monster [the main Japanese character is the only Japanese there]

NB! Those are examples, not an extensive list. I am pretty sure you've seen many of them

Last edited by Zellami; 2013-01-13 at 23:45. Reason: Woke up and added 2 more series.
Zellami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 16:09   Link #4
Darthtabby

Edit: I'd pointed out that Sousuke from Full Metal Panic is Japanese in spite of his strange upbringing outside the country, but then I reread the first post and realised the poster only required that one of main male characters be foreign. Although iirc Kurz Weber actually grew up in Japan (his dad was a journalist stationed there or something). That's not really mentioned in the anime version from what I can remember though.

Last edited by Darthtabby; 2013-01-13 at 19:55.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 22:27   Link #5
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Dog Days might count. Though Cinque has a Japanese family name, he most certainly looks English Caucasian in origin. He has a cousin (who ironically has a Japanese given name) living in England, so part of his family could have originated there. Considering what happens to him in the story, he is also a foreigner in more ways than one.

He is also joined as a main character by his childhood friend Rebecca Anderson in Dog Days', the sequel of the show.
Old 2013-01-13, 23:34   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Tiger and Bunny - "Barnaby Brooks Jr." is Co-Main Lead, and given his name, he's not Japanese. The setting is more "AU America" than "AU Japan" too, imo.

Heroman - American setting, American main protagonist

The various anime versions of comic book properties - X-Men, Iron Man, Wolverine. These characters all retain their original nationalities (typically American, but Wolverine is a proud Canadian like Ryouko Asakura is ).
Old 2013-01-14, 00:19   Link #7
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
(typically American, but Wolverine is a proud Canadian like Ryouko Asakura is ).
And like Ryouko, he likes to slash things. Must have something to do with the lack of guns up here.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 02:31   Link #8
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
The short version: take any series that has a fantasy setting, and chances are you're going to have a gaijin MC (though this isn't always the case, especially for those which start out in our world). Record of Lodoss War also comes to mind, as well as Saiyuki... Coyote Ragtime show was also pretty fun

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 05:29   Link #9
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Ikoku Meiro no Croisee was pretty good, although you could say that the actually "gaijin" in the show is the female lead.

Baccano! doesn't have a specific protagonist, but it takes place in America.
Old 2013-01-15, 07:01   Link #10
raduccio

Negima!
Code Geass
raduccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 23:04   Link #11
Lamentofsin
The lost dreamer...

I have seen a bunch...but not all of those listed here. If I wasn't so short on time I would write a more detail. But yes, There are a few new ones listed I will look at. Thanks

P.s- While American myself...Canadians are pretty awesome.
Lamentofsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 01:41   Link #12
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, anyone?

Other than that, I can't really think of any other series - most series subscribe to the But Not Too Foreign trope...

Hmmm. There's Macross; Hikaru is Japanese, but Roy Focker is definitely American. Then there's Macross Plus, where we have Isamu Alva Dyson, who's apparently Japanese-American, and Guld Bowman, who's Zentraedi; Macross Frontier has the Japanese Alto Saotome, with the presumably Chinese Ozma Lee (though Lee is also an American surname), and Italian Luca Angeloni and Michael Blanc (who is apparently part french or russian or... something).

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote