AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-08, 17:33   Link #1
DanielSong39

Anime: Hidden gems

It may be fun to bash less-than-stellar anime... but it can also be rewarding to discuss hidden gems that may be under the radar.

So, here are my picks:

To Heart - an unexpected surprise; one of the more unique ero-game conversions you'll come across. Provides a relaxed, nostalgic view of high school life, a host of likeable characters, and a touching romance.

Omohide Poro Poro (Only Yesterday) - one of the least known Ghibli works, yet one of the most insightful. A look at a twentysomething woman who is at a crossroad in her life... and her 5th grade self who helps her move forward.

Feel free to add to the list.
Old 2006-08-11, 20:20   Link #2
cheez rocks
Junior Otaku

here's a few:
Ragnarok the animation: it's based on a video game, that I think may be based on a manga, but the action scenes and the storyline are goo, and there's a manageable level of romance (ie less than furuba).
Zegapain: Who can get enough giant fighting robots? Also, a nice look at the human condition, somewhat similar to evangelion, if you think about it.
Old 2006-08-11, 21:17   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ones that seemed to be under-the-radar in that they didn't get much attention:
Petopeto-san (interracial romance and comedy .... great OST ... very interesting satirical skewer of common japanese attitudes toward resident non-japanese)
Lamune (one of the few "ero-game" conversions that picked a path, stuck to it, and produced a very gentle, very deep romance between two soulmates)

The rest I can think of actually got some decent attention but may have been missed by people focused on other genre...
Old 2006-08-11, 21:25   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

bah.. the new forum software didn't catch this one... my Intarweb is burping tonight.. sorry.
Old 2006-08-13, 02:26   Link #5
andromeda0201

3 of these animes were definitely under the radar, i came across them by coincidence

Fantastic Children - a great sci-fic fantasy with one of the most complex storylines found in anime and includes a touching romance. After the confusing first half, the 2nd half sucked me in like a magnet

Kurau Phantom Memory - the only Bones anime that gets the least attention IMO, probably it was lisenced too early, and there are no lolis harem or watsoever. Fans of sci-fic should however try this out

Princess Tutu - yes among all the shoujo titles, I've heard of this the least. An anime about ballet sounds weird and even the name sounds a bit cheesy. I watched it thinking it was another kiddy anime but it turned out much deeper than expected

and Lamune indeed, it surprised me as well
Old 2006-08-16, 15:09   Link #6
howzitboy

binchotan: its like fantasia (with not much talking), an awesome music score playing non stop and beautiful animation. No violence, no fighting , no fanservice, what more could u ask for.

kamichu story bout a girl who become god. beautiful animation with such cute chars. perfect show for the whole family (thats rare). when u watch it, first thing that comes to mind is Miyazaki.
Old 2006-08-16, 16:04   Link #7
mit7059

patlabor a truely underrated older mecha anime which laid the precident for a mecha anime where the mecha was unimportant, the pilots are what is important. And the sitaution is a believable one that could be possible in the near future, which makes it all the better. Would it give my arguement more credibility if I said that it was an earlier work of the people who made ghost in the shell?

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-08-16, 16:10   Link #8
DanielSong39

I'm not sure why Glass Mask (remake) isn't getting more attention. Animation, voice acting, and music are absolutely first class. And the characters and storytelling won't disappoint, either.

Is it being overshadowed by the legendary manga?
Closed Thread