AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-06-09, 23:33   Link #101
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
Well-it's over-a short but sweet series.
Old 2007-06-09, 23:43   Link #102
David Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

I'm especially impressed with the American astronauts command of Japanese. Who knew it was part of their training!
I assume the girls are actually speaking english to the astronauts, and thats the reason why half-sister doesn't go. She can't speak English.
David Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 23:49   Link #103
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston View Post
I assume the girls are actually speaking english to the astronauts, and thats the reason why half-sister doesn't go. She can't speak English.
What didn't you see little fish tails sticking out of their ears?
Old 2007-06-10, 01:54   Link #104
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post
I'm enjoying this little series despite scientific inaccuracies.
Actually, they got a heck of a lot more right than most shows. Most American live-action shows for adults are much less accurate, never mind the animated shows for kids.

I still think the ending was kind of rushed. They need Akane on the mission for her brainpower, and they go to the trouble of having her memorize all the numbers, only to have her pass out before she can recite any of them back. They could have at least had her get part-way through the list, so that maybe Yukari only had to do the last "skip" by the seat of her pants instead of the whole reentry process.

I believe the technique they were using to slow the Mangosteen down is actually called "aerobraking," and it really has been used with unmanned space probes going into orbit around Mars (and possibly Venus, too). I've never heard of the Apollo astronauts using it - although it's funny, when they started talking about the girls re-entering the atmosphere from an altitude of 3000km, the first thing I thought was, "Nobody's come back from that far out since the Moon landings."

In any event, thanks and congrats to the folks at Rakuda for your great work!
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 02:44   Link #105
grey_moon

Spoiler for my reply to BBOvenGuy:
Old 2007-06-10, 06:00   Link #106
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Watched the last ep a few weeks ago, but forgot to discuss it here.
Spoiler for EP.12:
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 07:23   Link #107
EdZ

The events of Rocket girls certainly aren't scientifically or technologically impossible, merely highly implausible. Especially the extremely rapid pace of orbiter and rocket construction, lack of testing, and general 'gung ho' attitude to the missions.
EdZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 08:01   Link #108
grey_moon

Spoiler for reply to TougeSil80:

I really hope that the lack of scientific accuracies doesn't spoil this fun show for anyone. As it is a really fun show. With just referencing implausible situations from this show, we could go on for ages, but I think its far more entertaining to sit back and let SSA take us along for a really crazy ride.
Old 2007-06-10, 08:51   Link #109
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

My only disappointment with the ending was their failure to tie together some of the threads that seemed important at the outset, especially those concerning Yukari's parents. For instance,

Spoiler:

Otherwise a fun ride. No one can expect any show like this to be scientifically accurate, but I'm with BBOvenGuy on this one. The producers seemed pretty committed to at least trying to inject some science into the script. Shows like this one, or one of my favorites, Noein, are essentially fantasies with a layer of science as an attempt at plausibility.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 11:24   Link #110
Slice of Life
eyewitness

This anime came as a positive surprise to me. I normally don't like this harem-related, fanservice-heavy genre where an all-girl teeenage crew do odd jobs with no explanation at all, or worse, a very contrived one.

However, the first episode convinced me that this show was a bit different. The anime never tried to hide the fact that making an teenager pilot a rocket is an absurd idea. Instead, is was well-integrated into the comedy. The director and the doctor were built up during the first episode in a way that their idea "Hey, why don't we just grab this little girl, and stuff her into out rocket." was just consequent and genuinely funny. They seemed to be well aware that one shouldn't make a minor a rocket pilot. They just didn't care! This is probably the best way to handle the issue without making the audience roll their eyes.

I found Yukari's uncaring father that has been criticized so much funny for similar reasons. "It should be OK to curse the rocket ... I think." Talking about the father

@SeijiSensei
Spoiler:

The mother didn't seem that much concerned about the question if her daughter lives or dies either.
Spoiler:

Things went worse later when the comedy was replaced more and more by drama though, because this is where the concept falls on its face IMHO. More examples of a thoughtless/uncaring attitude from Yukari's surroundings would have been better.
Old 2007-06-10, 11:35   Link #111
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

Minor point that irked me, while I let all the other less-than-believeable stuff slide by; why did they show the Shuttle firing it's MAIN engines, which require the external tank, instead of the OMS engines which do the actual orbit adjustments? That part irked me beyond reason...

My favorite supporting charactor for this show? The chemist! You have to wonder what planet she is orbiting at any given moment. It's clear she's not on Planet Earth, even when she's standing right in front of you...
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 11:49   Link #112
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofus Maximus View Post
Minor point that irked me, while I let all the other less-than-believeable stuff slide by; why did they show the Shuttle firing it's MAIN engines, which require the external tank, instead of the OMS engines which do the actual orbit adjustments? That part irked me beyond reason...

My favorite supporting charactor for this show? The chemist! You have to wonder what planet she is orbiting at any given moment. It's clear she's not on Planet Earth, even when she's standing right in front of you...
Akane prbly did some A-Team magic and rerouted their fuel supply from the OMS engines to the main engine whilst memorising what she needs to do when she reaches the probe...

The chemist ruled, but I did like the nerds speech on old tech
Old 2007-06-10, 11:52   Link #113
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
No one can expect any show like this to be scientifically accurate, but I'm with BBOvenGuy on this one. The producers seemed pretty committed to at least trying to inject some science into the script.
The way I like to think of it is that the producers showed respect for the realities of spaceflight, even if they didn't follow those realities to the letter.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 18:56   Link #114
CPOK
Gun Bunny

Indeed a few loose ends where left, but it also left it open for a second season or some OVA's.
CPOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 20:02   Link #115
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPOK View Post
Indeed a few loose ends where left, but it also left it open for a second season or some OVA's.
The whole world realising that male adult astronauts are the thing of the past? Skin tight suits and teenage girls FTW!!!
Old 2007-06-11, 00:59   Link #116
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I'm glad I found this series last week, as it was quite fun, especially how Yukari was frequently put in absurd situations and reacted accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrog View Post
I liked the Taxi Cab science bit info the most.
$799! Lucky!

Now I just don't hope that were Solomon Island Dollars, as I won't be riding that cab then ($799 SBD = $109 USD). If you do similar math btw, the bet amounts (on success or failure of the LS-7 rocket) in the early episodes weren't that spectacular either, and Yukari's Chinese deliveries were about the same price of a happy meal ($39 SBD = $5.33 USD).
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 03:14   Link #117
neverlife

A sweet little series, a lot more realistic than most. I have to agree that the ending seems rushed, but maybe we can hope for something more later.
neverlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-19, 14:17   Link #118
tomcurda
A&P Mech

Question Rocket Girl Trinkets

Is there a some place online where one can get an SSA Ballcap? As I do not speak Japanese or read Kanji, I'm clueless as to whethere the RG website has a merchandise section. If it does, I'd be obliged if someone would tell me.
tomcurda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 08:44   Link #119
mdauben

Now that the whole series is subed and available, I just stated watching it today. The first two episodes were good, and I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

One minor gripe about the otherwise excellent fansub. I really hate it when subbers "invert" Japanese names. Its bad enough when its done in a dub, but at least in the dub you don't hear a character say "Morita Yukari-san" when the sub reads "Yukari Morita-san".

Last edited by mdauben; 2007-06-25 at 09:17.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 09:32   Link #120
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

Heh. Translating from or to a culture with an inverted name order is problematic for the translators, I guess.
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci-fi, shounen