AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-11-23, 17:55   Link #1
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

HDTV and the odds and ends.

Got my first HDTV today... and hooked everything up. Wii with composite, and DVD player with S-Video. I know both of these are not the highest quality cables. I am getting component for the Wii, and an upconverting player with HDMI.

Question. The Wii looks terrible. It looks better on an SDTV. Will the component greatly improve it, or should I stick it back with my SDTV?

Also... I am watching Pleasantville in a Sony Progressive DVD player with S-Video connection. It looks amazing. I can see nearly every detail of the skin when it closes up on faces. However, scenes where the camera is further back has this odd... over-sharpened effect.

I tweaked the settings... sharpening is zero. Looks great... but the DVD has the SAME problem. I turned off the sharpening setting on the Sony player as well...

Is this just how un-upconverted DVDs look in HD? Will it be better with an upconverting player in HDMI?

Thanks.

PS... I have to use the picture mode "zoom 1" to get my 16:9 anamorphic DVDs to look proper. Wide mode makes them short and fat, 16:9 mode makes it even worse - turning the picture into more of a 2.35:1 image (or whatever that ar is...) and 4:3 displays it perfectly, only with black borders around the entire picture (top, bottom and sides...)
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 20:46   Link #2
problemedchild
ô_ô

Be nice to know your T.V. Model and brand.

Be sure to check the AVSforum thread regarding that T.V. as well, there are boatloads of information about T.V. at the forum.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 21:13   Link #3
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

LNTXX53H series from Samsung. I am just wondering why everything looks so... odd. I played Veronica Mars, through a Sony DVD Player using S-Video and the image looked like this:

The lines in the video (the outline of clothing, skin, etc...) seem to be rather dark, and thick. The colours are very red... sort of, washed-out. The detail is gone, and there is this firey-orange tint in place. It looks like, on a SD CRT, if you crank the contrast all the way up, lower the brightness to around 30, change the tint slightly toward the red end, and go wild on sharpening.

I toy around with all the settings, but little changes.
Old 2007-11-23, 23:24   Link #4
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

Ok let's see.

first off, your TV may have a digital / analog button.

must be analog if you are using a 'composite' Red white yellow cord for your Wii.

second of all,

can you watch television nomrally? do you have Digital cable and it looks fine?

you do NOT need an upconverter to watch DVDs. it should look almost the same unless your TV is like 42"+ huge.

the problem may be your Aspect ratio, use a default button if you have one or set everthing back.

I think there may be a problem with your TV model. other people have said they have had problems when messing with the settings. There seems to be some talk on the iternet, do a search of your model and call samsung customer support.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 05:49   Link #5
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk View Post
Got my first HDTV today... and hooked everything up. Wii with composite, and DVD player with S-Video. I know both of these are not the highest quality cables. I am getting component for the Wii, and an upconverting player with HDMI.

Question. The Wii looks terrible. It looks better on an SDTV. Will the component greatly improve it, or should I stick it back with my SDTV?

Also... I am watching Pleasantville in a Sony Progressive DVD player with S-Video connection. It looks amazing. I can see nearly every detail of the skin when it closes up on faces. However, scenes where the camera is further back has this odd... over-sharpened effect.
Use component cables on your DVD player. S-video is limited to 480i, nothing really to do with quality, but capability.
I don't know if a LCD, especially samsung panels, are good for wii gaming, since LCD do have input lag (not talking about response time).
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 16:30   Link #6
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Well black and white material looks stunning. So does black & white with coloured sections (Pleasantville, Sin City...) yet, when the screen is fully coloured... things look bad. I am going to buy an upconverting DVD player and hook it up with HDMI cables. If the pictures doesn't look any better, I may have to return the tv and stick with SD. It's not worth it if my DVDs are going to look this bad...
Old 2007-11-24, 19:33   Link #7
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Ok, so... I turned my TV into Movie Mode. It has Dynamic Mode, Game Mode, Movie Mode and of course Standard Mode. Movie Mode makes everything a tad like old-film. A yellowish, dirty look. I entered this mode and toyed around, and I made it look pretty good. The blacks aren't GREAT (in night scenes, otherwise they are amazing) but this will improve once I use HDMI and play with it's separate black levels.

Oh my goodness, The Devil's Rejects is breath-taking. This is just SD, over S-video... imagine it over HDMI with a TRUE upconverting DVD Player. I swear the image quality was a fraction off from being pure Hi-def.

One strange thing. When I am in the DVD menu, 16:9 mode makes the image look as it should... but when entering the film itself, it looks distorted. It seems to be that when playing the film, the movie adds black bars underneath the anamorphic picture (the dvd player perhaps?) and the tv recognizes this as part of the dvd video itself, and accommodates space for it in the 16:9 lot. So it's distorted. Zoom1 zooms the picture in and crops out these black bars, displaying it correctly.

Does the player do this because of some setting within the player? Do DVD players have to be set from 4:3 to 16:9 internally?
Old 2007-11-24, 19:58   Link #8
Lonestar9

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonestar9
Does the player do this because of some setting within the player? Do DVD players have to be set from 4:3 to 16:9 internally?[/QUOTE]

Yeap, they sure do. Check the video setup on the DVD player's setup screens. It should be set to 16:9.
Lonestar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 19:17   Link #9
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Thanks took me a while to find it, but I did. Changed the DVD player from letterbox 4:3 to 16:9 and it works great now!
Old 2007-12-04, 21:30   Link #10
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Okay, so... a week (and a bit extra) in review. The LNT1953H Samsung 19" HDTV.

When I first bought it, I wasn't that pleased. I had hyped myself up for this device in the weeks prior to purchasing it, and honestly, it fell short of my expectations. There was even a period where I was considering returning it. I was really annoyed by the 16:10 screen, ensuring my widescreen content still remained black-barred. And the picture looked far worse then my CRT TV. On every output, with every source. I also noticed the SRS option produced ringing... like a high-pitched squeal when certain sounds were made.

Now, as of tonight, I can officially say that I am glad to own this tv. It took a LOT of tinkering, but I have perfected the settings for this specific device. I have settings for movies, settings for games, and settings for my Macbook. I created a custom appendage *removable* for the tv, so the 16:10 screen becomes 16:9 when needed (there is a mode on the tv for 16:9, but the black bars stand out due to the backlighting, so I just used this appendage to hide those...) I enjoy having 16:10 for use with my Mac, as thats it's native aspect ratio. DVDs look good, a high difference between the current settings and how it looked prior. I'm not using an upconverting player, but even now, my picture looks great. Colours are amazing. Arrested Development looks HD... no joke, I can't tell the difference at least. The Wii looks really good as well. I finally found the optimal settings, and everything is bright and colourful. How the Wii should look. The picture has some iffy aspects, but that should clear up using Component cables once I switch. I hooked up a 5.1 computer system to the tv itself (rca cables to tv, tv to computer speakers... one cable, all connections... wow.)

I plan on getting a PS3 and using it for PS3 / Blu-ray / Upconverting DVD (through HDMI). My Wii (through component) will serve primarily for playing Wii games (not so much virtual console games, those will be played on my CRT.) I want to get a Z-5500 system (through optical), and mount the speakers. Macbook will be connected with DVI, and used sparingly... mainly for frontrow.

This TV is excellent. I really recommend it. If you have a small bedroom setup, don't bother with a huge tv. This honestly works great. Once you tinker with it, and it will take a while, it's all worth it. It has one of every important connection: Composite, S-Video, Component, HDMI, Coaxial, Antenna, Digital & Optical, VGA and DVI. The 16:10 screen can easily show 16:9 content while at the same time allowing for double-use as a computer monitor. The three various modes are fully customizable, and allow you to offer three different settings at one time. This is as opposed to manually changing settings each and every time you switch devices. Aspect ratio problems are easily adjustable using an on-remote button (16:10, 16:9, 4:3, and Zoom 1 & 2 [with pixel-by-pixel positioning.]) You can label outputs: PS2, PS3, Wii, X-Box, 360, Cable, Satellite, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, Computer... etc.

I'm a happy camper.