AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Amagami SS

Notices

View Poll Results: Amagami SS - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 3 4.55%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 4 6.06%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 25.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 15.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 16.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 9 13.64%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.03%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.52%
1 out of 10 : Painful 9 13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-19, 17:43   Link #21
karuroso

What the hell! nothing happened >_> again an arc that started with potential to surpass Haruka but in the end started to go donwhill by the third ep D= whereas Haruka started to being awesome by the third, i'm felling even more disappointed with Rihoko's arc than how i was with the Sae's arc after looking at cg D= omg so many good events they could have animated...

*sigh*

Bring it on final boss! show me exactly why you are the only girl on the cover!
Old 2010-11-19, 17:45   Link #22
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Went ahead and watched the raw and... despite that fact that I was sort of expecting this, it still feels like Rihoko really, really got the short end of the stick. Looks like she got sacrificed on the altar of Ayatsuji.
Yeah it's truly a shame. I still liked this episode and her arc, though it's just a shame. Especially when you compare this to Rihoko's special chapter in Precious Diary (which i recommend to everyone in this thread).
Old 2010-11-19, 21:03   Link #23
Gault
inc_mplete

only watched the Raw , dont see a Dub yet :S

I just wish there was a kiss between the two to seal the deal , but im glad Jun commited to the tea club
Old 2010-11-19, 21:11   Link #24
Itlandm
Porcupine

I feel Vexx nailed this one. It really looks like the scripting was done by five different assistants, and the only order they were given together was "make sure not to let the other girls overshadow Ayatsuji." Of course, we don't know for sure they won't make a mess of the last arc too. Nut even if not, I think this series is a strong contender for "most wasted potential award 2010". So much good art, so much dumb script.

Time to check out that manga, I guess.

(And I did see the beginning of Yosuga no Sora, but not long enough to realize it was an omnibus adaptation. It was just too embarrassing to watch.)
Old 2010-11-20, 01:45   Link #25
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm View Post
I feel Vexx nailed this one. It really looks like the scripting was done by five different assistants, and the only order they were given together was "make sure not to let the other girls overshadow Ayatsuji." Of course, we don't know for sure they won't make a mess of the last arc too. Nut even if not, I think this series is a strong contender for "most wasted potential award 2010". So much good art, so much dumb script.

Time to check out that manga, I guess.

(And I did see the beginning of Yosuga no Sora, but not long enough to realize it was an omnibus adaptation. It was just too embarrassing to watch.)
At least we get to see some of our favorite arcs before it goes completely downhill. If they mess up the last arc then it may beat Angel Beats to the "most wasted potential award of 2010"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
meh... trying to remember why I took a look at this series. Oh yeah, I thought the "omnibus mechanics" might be interesting. Unfortunately, it looks like they split up into project teams for each arc and lets just say the skill set was not equally distributed...
The mood, tone, and wonderful animation got me into this series, but lately the series kicking the fans rear.
Old 2010-11-20, 01:46   Link #26
Mairsile
Athletic girls are sugoi!

Her arc ended exactly like I predicted it would, with them getting closer but not as a couple. I certainly second the suggestion to read her chapter in Precious Diary since its really well done. In fact, I kinda think of it as a glimpse into Rihoko's and Junichi's future together.

I'm interested in seeing what changes they'll make to Ayatsuji's arc, or even her personality, compared to her story in Precious Diary. It's pretty short, to be honest, so I expect a fair amount of original scenes.
Old 2010-11-20, 04:31   Link #27
Arnavion

On another note, Rihoko making squirrel noises while eating during the choux-creme-etymology flashback was sooo cute!
Old 2010-11-20, 05:02   Link #28
Dobby

I ended up having to watch the "Best ending" in the video game for Rihoko. That made me feel much better. hahah

Spoiler for Episode 20, spoiler~:
Old 2010-11-20, 05:51   Link #29
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Whoever predicted this deserves a cookie....

Good thing the earlier episodes drained whatever enthusiasm I had for this pairing, so I don't really mind this ending. Still, if they were going this approach, it could have been done better - make the earlier episodes like this last one - concentrate more on the pair, minimal interruptions from supporting characters.

Haruka and the puppies SHe's still the best one!

------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Worst arc in the whole series. I thought Rihoko was going to take the diet seriously after Junichi's act of kindness at the end of the first ep, but no, all we got was "OMNOMNOM" every other minute.

Quote:
Ayatsuji better not let me down, especially since she's the end girl. Cut the foreplay and just get straight to the good stuff.
It's not even at foreplay yet, more like.... horseplay.
Old 2010-11-20, 06:02   Link #30
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
meh... trying to remember why I took a look at this series. Oh yeah, I thought the "omnibus mechanics" might be interesting. Unfortunately, it looks like they split up into project teams for each arc and lets just say the skill set was not equally distributed...
Sorry, but I have to disagree. The "omnibus mechanics" are a great success, definitely. Compared to the usual harem-style developments, we finally get proper romance stories, some better, some worse. Lots of personal preference going on.

The fact that the Rihoko arc (who I never felt any affinity to in the first place) was bungled has nothing to do with the omnibus format. My favorite arcs were Haruka and Ai so far, Kaoru felt like it could have been done better, and Sae was better than expected. Rihoko is the first thumbs-down arc, and Ayatsuji remains to be seen.

Quote:
I feel Vexx nailed this one. It really looks like the scripting was done by five different assistants, and the only order they were given together was "make sure not to let the other girls overshadow Ayatsuji."
Yay for proactive badmouthing! Nevermind that it hasn't even aired yet.

Quote:
Yay for even more clueless badmouthing! Highly efficient to entirely skip WATCHING shows to dump on!

Yosuga no Sora turned out to be pretty good, actually. And this material couldn't even be animated WITHOUT omnibus, because of several mutually-exclusive developments and character traits which would have had to be warped beyond recognition.
Old 2010-11-20, 07:22   Link #31
Itlandm
Porcupine

I may have explained this poorly if even Mentar does not read it as intended.

In the traditional adaptations, it is necessary to tone down the other heroines in order to make the Chosen One shine. In an omnibus format, that should not have been necessary. If you have another theory of why they would give a heroine less than the best ending, I will give it all due consideration.

As for Yosuga no Sora, I don't have a problem with the omnibus format. I am all for that. I have a problem with throwing in random ecchi sketches in a dramatic romance story, much as I would have a problem with randomly drawing moustache on Mona Lisa.
Old 2010-11-20, 09:03   Link #32
sgwc
I'm just a support char..

Why the heck the production staff put normal ending for Rihoko???? Aye, tis is not good.

Even though I'm still hurt on this but I really like the way their relationship changes slowly but surely and might even go well in the future and I do hope that Rihoko's arc for the DVD release would have an extra scene where
Spoiler:
Old 2010-11-20, 09:10   Link #33
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
In the traditional adaptations, it is necessary to tone down the other heroines in order to make the Chosen One shine. In an omnibus format, that should not have been necessary. If you have another theory of why they would give a heroine less than the best ending, I will give it all due consideration.
If you ask me, it's been a highly questionable decision (I don't know the "true ending"). I wasn't too fond of Rihoko's character since episode 1, but denying her the romantic closure while giving it to all other girls feels very tasteless. But I really fail to see any connection to Ayatsuji.

Quote:
As for Yosuga no Sora, I don't have a problem with the omnibus format. I am all for that. I have a problem with throwing in random ecchi sketches in a dramatic romance story, much as I would have a problem with randomly drawing moustache on Mona Lisa.
*shakes head*

Maybe it's because you haven't been following Yosuga for more than the bare introduction, but Yosuga isn't the usual light romance drama. The ecchi part is fairly central for more than one arc, and I suspect it will play an even bigger role in the final main arc. Naturally, it's up to the viewer to like the more explicit nature of these scenes or not, but I feel that it would alter the story to remove/censor/kiddify them.
Old 2010-11-20, 09:34   Link #34
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It's just sad when the childhood friend can't even "win" in her own omnibus arc. It's even sadder when a previous heroine and supporting characters steal the last episode. Haruka's scene was hilarious, and Manaka is quite simply awesome.

In the end, it seems like this arc was more about the tea club and Rihoko's (non-existent) diet than any kind of romance, which would have been fine if it had been a unified adpation, but if you want to use the omnibus format, do it all the way!
Old 2010-11-20, 10:34   Link #35
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
In the end, it seems like this arc was more about the tea club and Rihoko's (non-existent) diet than any kind of romance, which would have been fine if it had been a unified adpation, but if you want to use the omnibus format, do it all the way!
I don't see where it says in the rule book that the girls arcs can only adapt the romance parts of their source material . Sure it's a huge shame, though Rihoko's arc still worked in the end. It's just that it wasn't what everyone wanted, so the hate will continue.
Old 2010-11-20, 10:52   Link #36
Johnny
Working the bags...

Meh, if you give the romantic end for the others you should do it for all. Then again has there been any anime where the childhood friend doesn't get shafted in the end...?
Old 2010-11-20, 11:11   Link #37
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Meh, if you give the romantic end for the others you should do it for all. Then again has there been any anime where the childhood friend doesn't get shafted in the end...?
Martian Successor Nadesico.
Old 2010-11-20, 11:45   Link #38
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Woah, friend zoned 0_o

Boy do I feel bad for Rihoko. the really weird part about this episode (actually, this arc) is that it feels like a side story to a background character that doesn't actually lead to anywhere.

Nice start for the arc, but very underwhelming afterwards.
Quote:
Unfortunately, it looks like they split up into project teams for each arc and lets just say the skill set was not equally distributed...
I actually asked about this in the Q&A thread near the end of Ai's arc, because of how different each arc has been handled lead me to believe this as well. But from what I've learned from there, it seems like this isn't the case here

Spoiler for cut for size:

Regardless of the actual reason, this anime is making some really strange turns that make me wonder if the staff knows what their doing half of the time. This is an easy story structure, that simply goes from point A to B, but at times it look like they are holding the map upside down or just guessing the way to the ending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
This. Why is Rihoko the only girl who didn't get to the Best End? Not only that, but why did it have to be one of the girls who gives meaning to the title of the series?
I find this baffling as well. Especially since I have learned that Rihoko was supposedly the third most popular girl in Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree. The "omnibus mechanics" are a great success, definitely. Compared to the usual harem-style developments, we finally get proper romance stories, some better, some worse. Lots of personal preference going on.
I think it's a great success commercially and marketing wise. It caters to the specific girls fanbase. Guaranties that the fans will buy her DVD once it comes out. Quality wise though ... well, this sort of omnibus format (there have been semi-omnibus animes in the past) thus far from what I've seen, doesn't really make me all that confident about it. Like I said in the Omnibus vs Unified thread, I can see how it could be used in interesting ways, but the closest one to sell me on that point would be YnS even with all the pacing issues at the conclusions. It's funny, Yosuga no Sora, the anime that looks like it would be more about selling DVD's, manages to tug more emotions out of me than Amagami SS. I wouldn't have believed that at the start of the season, but there you go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I don't see where it says in the rule book that the girls arcs can only adapt the romance parts of their source material . Sure it's a huge shame, though Rihoko's arc still worked in the end. It's just that it wasn't what everyone wanted, so the hate will continue.
But, every other girl had a romance ending. How come all of the sudden we get an arc without them hooking up? If they wanted to break the formula, they could've done it on any of the past 4 arcs, but they wait to the penultimate one to do so? This is just out of left field.

I don't think that everyone hated the arc, but I am just stunned at the way the arc was handled.
Old 2010-11-20, 11:47   Link #39
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post

The fact that the Rihoko arc (who I never felt any affinity to in the first place) was bungled has nothing to do with the omnibus format. My favorite arcs were Haruka and Ai so far, Kaoru felt like it could have been done better, and Sae was better than expected. Rihoko is the first thumbs-down arc, and Ayatsuji remains to be seen.
Actually, I probably wasn't clear - I agree with you that the omnibus mechanics work quite nicely for this sort of adaptation and that it puts a lot less stress on story line conten. Anime writers don't have to be nearly as skilled because they don't have to integrate disparate story threads. So yeah, same choir-singing-to. The Yosuga no Sora quantum-omnibus (??) is also interesting but the mechanics of that are almost lost in the "omg sex in anime" responses in the forums.

But the arcs themselves are piece-wise bungled in many respects though I have the same reviews you do --- Haruka and Ai are fairly well executed (whatever one thinks of the characters), Kaoru (my fave character and the plot line that borders on seinen at times) seemed to have suffered an explosive edit/snip, and Sae's story was daft but entertaining if taken *alone* (since it was goofy and not serious). Rihoko's thread was a thumb's down apart from the extra air time given to the comedy duo tea club seniors - I rather feel badly for the Rihoko fans.

Overall though, this series isn't something I'll talk about long after its over - I'm having trouble finding the energy to post about it right now
Old 2010-11-20, 13:36   Link #40
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
But, every other girl had a romance ending. How come all of the sudden we get an arc without them hooking up?
Well i can't answer that . There's been some differences between each arc, so maybe this is just another one of them.

Believe me i wish Rihoko's arc used the romance material. I've totally missed out on seeing one of the best foot scenes ever animated.