AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-05-16, 06:38   Link #3041
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

My point is I don't think the show is directed at that at all. Frankly I don't get the feeling an anime would go out of its way to specifically criticise that sort of politics usually. And again, there's a big difference from anime being often not politically correct the way it's meant in the west, or just containing some cultural notions that are pretty common in Japan, and anime outright aiming at bashing LGBT people or even political correctness itself. I just don't think this is what FranXX is doing at all. It would seem like a very weirdly specific bone to pick for such a mainstream show.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-16, 09:37   Link #3042
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
such a mainstream show.
Just a correction here but this isn't mainstream. It's a late night otaku show.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2018-05-16 at 12:09.
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-16, 10:33   Link #3043
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligerleon89 View Post
My question is, will this cliché of having sexual intercourse and the female being pregnant as a result will have a wrench thrown in to prevent said cliché from following through, or will continue it's course claiming a life?
It's not a cliché when there's not a lot of mecha anime that follow sex with actual pregnancy of the protags mid-show. Gundam franchise is one of those rare mecha series that have no problem depicting such thing (when necessary) but not a lot of (mecha) anime follow it aside from maybe Eureka 7 or parts of Code Geass. It's really not a cliché especially in the current anime climate where wish-fullfillment-anime reign supreme and characters must always look pretty and sexy for the otakus. Gundam shows have no such problems since their target audience are not otakus but general audience. Also, many writers just don't know what to do with a pregnant protag mid-story to the point where they'd rather not have it. Take Dragon Ball for example, that skipped the time where Bulma was pregnant and just jumped directly to a period after she already gave birth to baby Trunks. Because it's more convenient that way.

Also, sexual intercourse followed by pregnancy is a natural thing that frequently happen in life with the right time and method (especially when the couple doing it are aiming for pregnancy in the first place). So, it's kinda weird to call it a cliche. It's like saying (normal) humans who die after getting blown up is a cliche which to that I say "Well, what do you expect? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯". Of course there are exceptions but things usually work that way in real life too.
Old 2018-05-16, 10:41   Link #3044
Ligerleon89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
It's not a cliché when there's not a lot of mecha anime that follow sex with actual pregnancy of the protags mid-show. Gundam franchise is one of those rare mecha series that have no problem depicting such thing (when necessary) but not a lot of (mecha) anime follow it aside from maybe Eureka 7 or parts of Code Geass. It's really not a cliché especially in the current anime climate where wish-fullfillment-anime reign supreme and characters must always look pretty and sexy for the otakus. Gundam shows have no such problems since their target audience are not otakus but general audience. Also, many writers just don't know what to do with a pregnant protag mid-story to the point where they'd rather not have it. Take Dragon Ball for example, that skipped the time where Bulma was pregnant and just jumped directly to a period after she already gave birth to baby Trunks. Because it's more convenient that way.

Also, sexual intercourse followed by pregnancy is a natural thing that frequently happen in life with the right time and method (especially when the couple doing it are aiming for pregnancy in the first place). So, it's kinda weird to call it a cliche. It's like saying (normal) humans who die after getting blown up is a cliche which to that I say "Well, what do you expect? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯". Of course there are exceptions but things usually work that way in real life too.
It's just that I find these people talking about it, even Code Geass some years ago. Some people are persistent about it, even though it didn't make sense to me at the time. Still, I'd figured I just throw that nonsensical question out there just to get it off my chest and my brain. I already picked up EP 18 for the next title, Something about "A Sakura Blooming". I was still half-asleep when I read a bit of that information on myanimelist, which is always subject to change and some people can be inaccurate with their claims of info.

Although I would think I'd still know better after watching some anime which has this kind of thing. Oh well, you live and you learn.
Ligerleon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-16, 12:29   Link #3045
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Thematically-wise, it would be more interesting if she couldn't but she and Hiro still ended up together and happy at the end, showing that making babies is not the end-all-be-all of romantic love and human relationships.

Culture and politics go hand in hand. Two sides of the same coin.

You can't separate the show from its meta context though. That sort of "being human is all about making babies" message is pretty in-line with Japan's cultural context. Heck, is even in line with their political context. What with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's views on Japan birth decline and whatnot.
You sure it's as explicitly socio-political as that? The way it felt to me was more of a general "be what you naturally are, live freely" as opposed to a lobotomized, vat-grown droid (APE style). I mean when you have the antagonist side be essentially that, then obviously someone on the protag side has to go the other extreme in these kind of shows right? So the whole reproduction and gender angle should be seen in that context IMO
Old 2018-05-16, 12:50   Link #3046
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
You sure it's as explicitly socio-political as that? The way it felt to me was more of a general "be what you naturally are, live freely" as opposed to a lobotomized, vat-grown droid (APE style). I mean when you have the antagonist side be essentially that, then obviously someone on the protag side has to go the other extreme in these kind of shows right? So the whole reproduction and gender angle should be seen in that context IMO
Yeah, I think that's it too. Though the whole "people not making children/vegetarian men" thing in Japan is probably predominant enough in public discourse that it's hard to imagine one would make a story so focused on procreation without being somewhat influenced by it. But yeah, I think it doesn't have any serious pretences at any such argument, it's just being Generic Sci-Fi Dystopia 101.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-17, 04:44   Link #3047
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

So, the PV for Epi 18 is up...

Spoiler for PV reaction:
Old 2018-05-17, 05:01   Link #3048
PhoenixRising

Episode 18 Preview Reaction

Spoiler:

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 2018-05-17 at 05:26.
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-17, 05:25   Link #3049
kampfer91
Master Eugenist

I say episode 19 gonna have some sort of tragedy , just a hunch .
kampfer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-17, 05:48   Link #3050
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfer91 View Post
I say episode 19 gonna have some sort of tragedy , just a hunch .
I think it'll start by the latter half of the next ep. The new ending looks too depressing for it to not be full of that. They've been too happy recently. One more episode of just happy things is going to freak me out too much.

I just binged eps 3 to 17 like 2 days ago. This quickly has become potentially one of my favorite shows with a surprising amount of depth. I'm really enjoying it.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-17, 06:00   Link #3051
tsunade666

With how things are developing, I won't be surprised if it ended up as another ibo gundam.
Old 2018-05-17, 06:03   Link #3052
RDNexus

And here I abandoned Gundam:IBO after cour1, as I've come to know how it went.
I just hope Franxx doesn't become another IBO, I'm not good with such stories
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-17, 08:18   Link #3053
kampfer91
Master Eugenist

Mitsuru ded flag is going up .

With the Nine report to the APE , i can see APE soldiers bust into the place soon .
kampfer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-17, 08:36   Link #3054
Mistyclear

Spoiler for 18:
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-17, 08:45   Link #3055
HtwoN

Are these real flags? Or are they trolling us?
HtwoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-17, 08:47   Link #3056
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
So, the PV for Epi 18 is up...

Spoiler for PV reaction:
Well...

Spoiler:
Old 2018-05-17, 09:23   Link #3057
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

here's the ep18 preview: subtitles provided

blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-17, 09:47   Link #3058
Idealist 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfer91 View Post
Mitsuru ded flag is going up .

With the Nine report to the APE , i can see APE soldiers bust into the place soon .
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2018-05-17, 10:28   Link #3059
Nymene

The protagonist in DarliFra is loyal to only one girl, and there are multiple couples in this story, and the cast of characters in protag's group of comrades are gender-balanced, with 5 boys and 5 girls in his group.

The setting pf Franxx reminds us of Magi's Grandson, right ? Just like we have 3 main couples in DarliFra's group ( Don't forget Miku x Zorome ), there's also like 3 main couples in Magi's Grandson's good side group of MC's comrades.

But that one has more girls with bigger boobs.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei also has quite a lot of boy-girl side couples. Will there be more new light novels like those 2 in the future where there will appear other side couples other than the Protagonist couple ?
Nymene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-17, 11:55   Link #3060
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
With how things are developing, I won't be surprised if it ended up as another ibo gundam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
And here I abandoned Gundam:IBO after cour1, as I've come to know how it went.
I just hope Franxx doesn't become another IBO, I'm not good with such stories
Gundam IBO is rather heavy. And I doubt Franxx has the balls to go the route that IBO has dared to go through (it's a mafia/gangster story, after all) since Franxx has been rather tame so far. I guess we'll just see what's gonna happen next. I'm not really up for speculation. I'll just sit back and enjoy this (guilty pleasure) show.