AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-11-29, 16:04   Link #21
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Actually the Nox Nyctores are the strongest forms of Ars Armagus, magic 'tomes'. All tomes require the user's seithr to use, basically their MP, and are magical weapons.

So everyone in Blazblue who uses a Nox Nyctores or an Armagus like Tsubaki are mages.
Not really, magic in blazblue does not utilize seithr . Seithr is the energy that was left by the black beast, yet mages existed before the black beast.
The nox were originally made to fight the black beast and are somewhat "artificial" magic tomes, not true magic. True mages don't need tomes to use spells.
The only few people that seem to use magic and are alive are Kokonoe, maybe Rachel and "Phantom". In Blazblue phase 0 and first shift novels, there were more mages (like Caelica A. Mercury), but those novels were prequels to the original blazblue and are set in the 100 years before the start of Blazblue.

edit: maybe Relius Clover also knows magic, because he was a tutor in the magic academy roughly 100 years ago. But even if he can, he doesn't seem to use it .

edit: it's not really true that the Nox are the strongest form of an Ars Armagus, the Nox are usually stronger but the reason why they are differently categorized is the way how they are created compared to a regular Ars. Not because of their strength, example Ignis is atleast on par with Nirvana and story wise probably even much stronger.

Last edited by hyl; 2011-11-29 at 16:17.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 00:03   Link #22
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Hey hey, that's not magic, even if we count the Phoenix force.
Telekinesis? That qualifies as magic in my book. Heck, just about anyone that doesn't just stick to martial arts guns/swords/other pew-pews or hackety-slashies could be classified as having some form of magic, heck, even people that do use their fists, such as Akuma, who definitely has plenty of magic stemming from the darker ends of Buddhism (his most famous move--Instant Hell Murder--aka Shun Goku Satsu comes from the Buddhist belief of the sixteen levels of hell).

But I suppose I keep a looser interpretation of magic.
Old 2011-11-30, 00:34   Link #23
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Telekinesis? That qualifies as magic in my book. Heck, just about anyone that doesn't just stick to martial arts guns/swords/other pew-pews or hackety-slashies could be classified as having some form of magic, heck, even people that do use their fists, such as Akuma, who definitely has plenty of magic stemming from the darker ends of Buddhism (his most famous move--Instant Hell Murder--aka Shun Goku Satsu comes from the Buddhist belief of the sixteen levels of hell).

But I suppose I keep a looser interpretation of magic.
Telekinesis is for me a psychic power instead of magic , just like mind reading and mind controll. Also i think the martial artists fall under ki/chi. Controlling energy by training the body instead of using energies from supernatural soures.

In the comics the phoenix force itself is considered to be a cosmic entity , i doubt it can be called magical.
Old 2011-11-30, 01:03   Link #24
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Energies from supernatural sources? I suppose then the cast of devil may cry in MvC3/UMvC3 qualify then.
Old 2011-11-30, 02:12   Link #25
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Why shouldn't they? The devil, demons, blackmagic and witchcraft were associated with eachother in the medieval times

Eventhough Dante and Virgil are not that much of spellcasters, because they prefer guns and swords. Trish does seem to fight like a mage.

Besides i don't think the topic creator is asking about characters in fighting game who can use magic, but rather characters who have magic powers and use those powers like mages/wizards.
Old 2011-11-30, 10:19   Link #26
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Basically, you fall back to what defines a character a mage in fighting game. Zoning, bad defense, high power type of character.

I consider a mage as in anyone who can use magic, not anyone who has to act like a mage. Better not stick to it like a book.
Old 2011-11-30, 10:33   Link #27
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Basically, you fall back to what defines a character a mage in fighting game. Zoning, bad defense, high power type of character.

I consider a mage as in anyone who can use magic, not anyone who has to act like a mage. Better not stick to it like a book.
I consider playable character mages who can use magic and actually fight with magic as one of their primairy attacks. Like i don't consider Dante a mage, because eventhough he can use elemental attacks, his main weapons are still swords, guns and martial arts.
While not every zoner is a mage (way too many examples, but ranged characters like archers/ gunners and some machines/robots like in the Marvel vs Capcom series are most of the time zoners), so is it vice versa. Not every mage has to be a zoner.

edit: forgot to mention examples of the latter one:
Half of the cast of arcana Heart series, like weiss, heart aino are rushdown type characters or atleast not zoners while they all can use magic and will use magic in some kind of way (powering up, summoning swords, summoning arcana etc.).

edit: another example of a non-zoner magic user are Fate T Harlaown and Hoshizora Kirara from the magical battle arena doujin fighting game, unlike most of the cast who are zoners, they are rushdown in your face type of characters.

Last edited by hyl; 2011-11-30 at 10:54.