AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-01-19, 20:59   Link #1
ShadowX

Are the DVD-Rs in bad condition if there are rough spots on the upper cover?

hi people

I recently bougt a pack of 50 Ridata DVD-R 8X. This is the second time I buy this media. However, it's the first time I encouter the following problem. As you know, the upper face/ the top/ the front cover (sorry dont know the real name) of the dvds/cds are always flat and smooth right? However, almost half of the pack I bought this time has some rough spots on the front side, but they are perfect (no scractches or whatsoever) on the back side.
More details about the rough spots: When I first saw them, I saw some white tiny spots when I touched them, they were rough.
Some dvds have around 2-3 spots but others have around 10.

Will that affect the videos I'm going to burn later on (like skipping images/sound, etc)?

Last edited by ShadowX; 2006-01-29 at 15:32.
ShadowX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 23:41   Link #2
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowX
hi people

I recently bougt a pack of 50 Ridata DVD-R 8X. This is the second time I buy this media. However, it's the first time I encouter the following problem. As you know, the upper face/ the top/ the front cover (sorry dont know the real name) of the dvds/cds are always flat and smooth right? However, almost half of the pack I bought this time has some rough spots on the front side, but they are perfect (no scractches or whatsoever) on the back side.
More details about the rough spots: When I first saw them, I saw some white tiny spots when I touched them, they were rough.
Some dvds have around 2-3 spots but others have around 10.

Will that affect the videos I'm going to burn later on (like skipping images/sound, etc)?

Take them back.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 17:49   Link #3
ShadowX

Thanks for the replay. I just sent them an email about it. I hope they will pay for the shipping, not me.
Old 2006-01-20, 20:00   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

FYI scratches on the top have the potential to be far more damaging than scratches on the bottom. That's because the data itself is stored on the foil. That's the direct underside of the "label" coating, NOT the underside of the surface of the disc. If I were to scratch off a part of that "coating" deep enough that you could see the scratch through the underside, that disc would be corrupt and have unreadable sectors. However, if I scratch the underside, depending on a number of factors the data would still be readable.
Old 2006-01-21, 11:01   Link #5
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

It also bears noting that unlike CDs, DVDs (all of them, not just DVD+/-R(W)s, but pressed ones as well) are laminated, meaning there're two "discs" glued to each other. The label side of a DVD is actually thicker than that of a CD (the CD has just the silkscreening or a thin "lacquer" (for lack of a better way to describe it) protecting the recording layer, while DVDs have more substrate behind that layer, i.e. another disc. Even so, take good care of them.

If you want to get an idea how this works, next time you coaster a DVD, you can split a DVD(+/-)R in half by taking a thin-bladed screwdriver and inserting it in the gap between the two layers at the spindle hole (they're not glued there). Split it very carefully by gently twisting the screwdriver and working your way around the spindle hole's circumference. and you'll notice that the silkscreening or frosting (depending on how the DVD's labeling area was done) will be on the layer that just came off. With a little luck, the recording layer will still be on the lower layer that faces the laser.

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 15:17   Link #6
ShadowX

I received an email from them, saying:

Blemishes on the top of the dvd no way affect the recording or playback of them. I'm not sure how this is a problem. Including a scan might help us see what you are referring to.

I wont send them back, in worst case, I will burn the least important media on the DVDRs that have those rough spots.

Thanks for the explanation & help
Old 2006-01-29, 15:22   Link #7
Jesus Christ RnR

Send a message via MSN to Jesus Christ RnR
Dont let them talk you out of a refund, you dont want to store any data on dodgy media, important or not
Jesus Christ RnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 15:33   Link #8
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowX
I received an email from them, saying:

Blemishes on the top of the dvd no way affect the recording or playback of them. I'm not sure how this is a problem. Including a scan might help us see what you are referring to.

I wont send them back, in worst case, I will burn the least important media on the DVDRs that have those rough spots.

Thanks for the explanation & help

Respond by saying that they are not blemishes, they are places that looked as tho someone attacked them with a sand paper and gouged them deeply.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote