AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-01-14, 22:55   Link #1
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Amagi Brilliant Park [Anticipation]

http://www.fujimishobo.co.jp/sp/201302amagi/

YES! Shoji Gatoh(author of Full Metal Panic series, screenwriter of Hyouka's anime adaptation) 's light novel Amagi Brilliant Park with illustrations by Yuka Nakajima gets anime adaptation.

Studio: Kyoto Animation

Summary by ANN:
Quote:
The "slapstick drama" begins with Seiya Kanie, a high school boy who is invited on a date in an amusement park by a mysterious beautiful transfer student named Isuzu Sento. He is introduced to Ratifa, a "real" princess and the park's manager, and is asked to be the acting manager of this "disappointing amusement park in the Tokyo suburbs."
This is probably the Yasuhiro Takemoto project that was hinted at back at CTFK last November. Can't wait!
       /
      / \|
    /

Last edited by winhlp32; 2014-01-14 at 23:42.
Old 2014-01-14, 23:06   Link #2
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

First Kyoto Animation Adaptation of a Kadokawa property in a VERY long time.

Frankly, that combo had never failed us before. Hope this won't be an exception.

Note that the story is inspired by how Japan is falling on hard times and amusement parks just can't stay profitable. The author has a strange way to come up with a story.
Old 2014-01-14, 23:06   Link #3
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

And many FMP fans raged that day.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2014-01-14, 23:18   Link #4
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Wait, isn't that artstyle... OH MY GOD, IT IS!

Amusement parks, eh? Just like Hanayamata, that's something new. Sure, I'll check it out.

The loli looks like a Mayoi copypaste. Not a good sign, but I'll still check it out.
Old 2014-01-14, 23:38   Link #5
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Any summary of the series? Color me curious....
Old 2014-01-14, 23:40   Link #6
SkoolRumble4Ya

Holy Shit! I'm so fucking happy. One of Shoji Gatoh light novel getting animated especially by KyoAni. I hope it's not a mistake.
Old 2014-01-14, 23:43   Link #7
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Any summary of the series? Color me curious....
The "slapstick drama" begins with Seiya Kanie, a high school boy who is invited on a date in an amusement park by a mysterious beautiful transfer student named Isuzu Sento. He is introduced to Ratifa (or Latifa), a "real" princess and the park's manager, and is asked to be the acting manager of this "disappointing amusement park in the Tokyo suburbs."

Source: ANN

Oh, and someone translated the afterword of Volume 1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoji Gatoh
This is something that happened 5 years ago:

Normally I have no interest in Amusement Parks. But once I went with other people to a famous mainstream Amusement park (TL: probably Disney.).
I I saw some kids playing with a theme-park Mascot, and suddenly thought "Wouldn't it be interesting, if that Donald Duck employee actually HATE kids?"
Like, what if he doesn't like children, but still force a smile in order to get his paycheck. And then after work he goes to the local pub and complain to fellow co-workers?

When I thought about it, I start to feel empathetic towards these mascots. And that when I see them on TV commercials, I would think about “wow, these guys must have a tough life”.
As a macho kind of guy with unusual tastes, the mainstream themeparks are just boring to me. So that’s why I would end up with dark thoughts about the place. It’s like in class, but suddenly fantasising about “Suddenly Terrorists appeared and took over the school!”, and such thoughts to avoid reality.
But it is these kinds of reality-avoidance that gets me interesting ideas sometimes.
From that time onwards the “Mascot that hate kids” just wouldn’t leave my mind. Paradoxically, that kind of character had NOT actually appeared in this book. Regardless that was why the idea of a “bad theme park” came about all those years ago.

Being an author for 18 years now, I am no stranger to struggles and pain while attempting to make a living trying to entertain people. But there had been happy memories too. I understand both the feeling of those, whose works failed to reach sales targets[1], and the hardships endured by others whose works became blockbuster hits[2]. One could probably say this is the same with any industry. Those Mascots who force a smile and play with the kids every day, would have their own tears and joyful moments...

And this is the central theme of the novel.

Looking back on my body of work, I realise most of it had military themes, dramatic action, and broad setting. But maybe I could try this, something a bit different, this time? That’s how it all began. Even though there had been many failed experiments, this hopefully could come together.. right? Right? (Gatoh own note: Actually it is still a mess IMO).
This first volume is one long story that had a fixed time limit. I think the 2nd volume onwards should be on how these horrible theme park employees spend their chaotic daily lives.
This isn’t that serious a story, I want to write something relaxing that you can read on the way to work.
Only after finishing this volume, did I realise the style was closest to my Debut novel. If I was to write some comedic side stories, I might do a cross-over and bring in the protagonist from that book.

When writing this story, I did some research and interviewed a certain person involved with Disneyland. Because I heard many stories that should never have been revealed from him, I can’t reveal his name. But he supplied many important pieces of info, and for that I am thankful.
Unfortunately this volume didn’t really reflex fully the secrets you revealed, so next volume I would definitely make sure your aid is not in vain.
The in-story mascot character’s mean words on world class theme parks, was suppose to reflect his ignorance of how much hard work is needed to be world-class. I wanted to portray that kind of contrast.
As for the 2ndary main character Mofuru (Sp?), I ended up borrowing Bonta-kun of FMP. I just couldn’t separate the two characters in my head, so I had the idea of just using Bonta-kun directly. I thank Shiki Douji for giving his approval.

Also, special thanks to the illustrator for all the trouble I caused. Despite difficulty, many attractive characters were created, and I thank you. But the deadline for the next volume is tight as well, so we would have to work just as hard once again.

Finally, to the Fujimishobo editor, and the ceo, thank you. I am so very sorry for repeatedly asking for deadline extensions. I will do better next time.
Please, do continue to take good care of me in the future.

2013 Jan, Shoji Gatoh.
[1] = Too many anime can apply here.
[2] = Kakifly and K-ON?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2014-01-15 at 00:46. Reason: Afterword complete.
Old 2014-01-14, 23:50   Link #8
Kopi
Σ(゚ロ゚ノ)ノ

This looks awesome just from the author and studio themselves. Manager for an amusement park huh? Wonder how does the story plays out. Also I'm sure many will probably wonder why animate this instead of a FMP sequel (me included ) but this is great too.
Old 2014-01-14, 23:59   Link #9
rulfo

Ha ha.... Interesting. Is this Kadokawa? If this is.. Wow...

1 cour of this + haruhi would be possible.

Oh well, it was at least nice to see a rumor to be proven true for a change.

Last edited by rulfo; 2014-01-15 at 00:14.
Old 2014-01-15, 01:15   Link #10
PerfectScore

After me spending a year of digging information about the LN, we get an anime adaptation... Definitely looking forward.
Old 2014-01-15, 01:24   Link #11
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Firstly I must say that it's HILARIOUS how Kyoani is adapting a LN that is by the same author as FMP that isn't FMP itself. Talk about assholish trolling .

Incoming butthurt FMP fans

Anyways, glad to see Shoji Gatoh is back to scripting for Kyoani, having adapted Hyouka and created the FMP franchise. Now we just need Takemoto as the director and we're set for a good Kyoani series for once. 2013 was a garbage year for them and 2012 wasn't much better except for Hyouka.

Actually have expectations for this unlike the rest of dem other Kyoani slice of life shows since it's not one of Kyoani's own shitty in-house properties.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2014-01-15 at 01:37.
Old 2014-01-15, 01:48   Link #12
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I don't really think it's trolling. Honestly, people just need to move on. Yes, we get that FMP and Haruhi were fun shows, but come on man, just move on. It's not like only Kyoani can do them. They were good and we had are fun, but putting them on a pedestal is getting tiring and just makes them overrated as hell, much like every Kyoani show. Just sit back and watch, and judge it on its own merits for once, maybe.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2014-01-15 at 01:51. Reason: spell check changed pedestal into something very bad, lol.
Old 2014-01-15, 01:53   Link #13
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I ask that this thread remain focused on the show at hand and not be a retread of tired, repetitive arguments that go nowhere.
Old 2014-01-15, 01:55   Link #14
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
The illustrator is the same Yuka Nakajima behind the D.L Action doujin series?
Old 2014-01-15, 01:59   Link #15
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I don't really think it's trolling. Honestly, people just need to move on. Yes, we get that FMP and Haruhi were fun shows, but come on man, just move on. It's not like only Kyoani can do them. They were good and we had are fun, but putting them on a pedestal is getting tiring and just makes them overrated as hell, much like every Kyoani show. Just sit back and watch, and judge it on its own merits for once, maybe.
Very well said Archon. I couldn't agree more, though I don't know if I would have said it in quite the same way.

Anyway, I must admit to be even more curious (kinimarimas?) about the storyline now.... I am hoping they will do a good job on this one - visuals, bgm and OP/ED are almost always extremely well done, but hopefully the other elements will be steady, or even well done? If not, well, it will be... umm... unpleasant! (Sorry - could not resist! )

Have there been other anime series that focused on managing a theme park, btw? None come to mid at the moment....
Old 2014-01-15, 02:13   Link #16
Pocari_Sweat

Btw, I really like the design of the main female from the LN cover. I hope the anime art doesn't deviate too much. Hyouka style deviations will be tolerable. Hopefully it won't be K-onifciation...

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2014-01-15 at 02:19. Reason: major typo
Old 2014-01-15, 02:24   Link #17
Westlo
Lets be reality

Based Gatoh is here to save KyoAni.

(Still don't know why they don't just get him to create an original concept for them instead of massively changing some LNs that got entered in their contest)

Not many lns released yet but if Gatoh is also working on the anime he can easily make new stuff for the anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Firstly I must say that it's HILARIOUS how Kyoani is adapting a LN that is by the same author as FMP that isn't FMP itself. Talk about assholish trolling .
I fail to see how animating Shoji Gatoh's newest and current light novel series over one that finished up 2 and a half years ago is trolling. Not to mention that one of the points of most anime adaptions is to push the original source. New LN series that isn't even a year old vs one that's over a decade old, is finished and already had 3 anime series + a thousand manga spinoffs.
Old 2014-01-15, 02:37   Link #18
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I fail to see how animating Shoji Gatoh's newest and current light novel series over one that finished up 2 and a half years ago is trolling. Not to mention that one of the points of most anime adaptions is to push the original source. New LN series that isn't even a year old vs one that's over a decade old, is finished and already had 3 anime series + a thousand manga spinoffs.
Trolling or not (it's probably not), you have to admit that the coincidence (or is it?) is rather hilarious. Don't get me wrong, although I liked FMP a lot I'm not one of those people that spam "WHERE IS MY FMP ADAPTATION11!!!". Assuming Takemoto is teaming up as the director, I'm just glad that supposedly, Kyoani A-team is back in force.
Old 2014-01-15, 03:02   Link #19
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Oh, and someone translated the afterword of Volume 1:
Glad you enjoyed reading it, I wrote that. It's translated from the Chinese version, just so you know, but I believe it is as accurate as I could make it.
Old 2014-01-15, 03:46   Link #20
Dextro
He Without a Title

HOLY GUACAMOLE! A Gatoh story adapted by KyoAni? Shut up and take my money man! If FMP and Houka (where Gatoh handled the script) are anything to go by I'm rather going to enjoy this. Gatoh is going to save (KyoAni) anime!*

*joke 100% intended