AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-13, 19:58   Link #41
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
One of the reasons I was getting increasingly irritated by comparisons between the novels and the anime was that, as TV viewers, we're not doing enough to evaluate the anime on its own merits.

Based on what I've seen so far, it increasingly appears to me that SHAFT (or Shinbo) had decided to build the show around Senjougahara and Araragi.

Yes, that's right, the star of the show is neither Araragi nor Senjougahara, but rather their growing relationship. By a strange twist of fate, they were made for one another. It takes the two of them to make Bakemonogatari tango.

And, so far, Hachikuji and Kanbaru's arcs appear to be devices to throw focus on different aspects of the couple's relationship.
I think you hit it on the head there, it's amusing when you consider how much it looks like a harem show at first glance...

You know, I really, really like her character... But I'd avoid her like the plague in real life. Granted, she's got plenty of reasons for being this way, being sold as a sex slave to a cult leader by your own mother would be more than most would take, but then spending two years as a weightless freak devoid of most emotions and memories...

Still, she's scary. Her deadpan gallows humor doesn't help eighter, you never know if she's really joking or really wants to blind you because of a slip of the tongue...
Ninjacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 21:15   Link #42
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjacat View Post
I think you hit it on the head there, it's amusing when you consider how much it looks like a harem show at first glance...

You know, I really, really like her character... But I'd avoid her like the plague in real life. Granted, she's got plenty of reasons for being this way, being sold as a sex slave to a cult leader by your own mother would be more than most would take, but then spending two years as a weightless freak devoid of most emotions and memories...

Still, she's scary. Her deadpan gallows humor doesn't help eighter, you never know if she's really joking or really wants to blind you because of a slip of the tongue...
It wasn't really a slip of the tongue, it was how he let his tongue slip.

Rararagi was annoyed initially at how Senjou seemed to deny Kanbaru as her junior.

So in an annoyed tone he asked, as if he was defending Kanbaru when Gahara-san said she "WAS" her junior,

"isn't she still your junior ?"

Thats what really set her off.

Ironically, Koyomi has no respect for honorifics.

He doesn't use the san against peoples names... which is incredibly impolite.

Ironic, that he would take to task his girlfriend because she refered to her former classmate in a way that wasn't polite... lol

I say he got what he deserved right there for being a hypocrite.

Naturally Senjou would be pissed... why would Koyomi who is not normally polite, get irritable about her not being polite ? Why would he defend Kanbaru ?

...tick.... tick... tick...

Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 21:21   Link #43
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
I wonder if viewers realise that Hitagi is a pervert ?
I forget if this was in the anime, but just in case I'll spoiler tag it for people who want to keep the novel and anime separate.
Spoiler for things left out in the Hitagi Crab arc:

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など……。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 21:42   Link #44
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
I forget if this was in the anime, but just in case I'll spoiler tag it for people who want to keep the novel and anime separate.
Spoiler for things left out in the Hitagi Crab arc:
In that case, Senjougahara would be an 'S' and Araragi would be the perfect 'M' for her.

Hah.

Araragi has one leg on heaven, and one leg on hell—not exactly the most envious position to be in. I guess this is what they meant by 'risks and returns'?

I also agree that the main feature to this show is their odd, growing relationship. Without this element, the show would've simply been just another occult-themed series with a heavy dash of Shinbo and SHAFT. Granted, its conversation-heavy style of storytelling probably separates it from the usual sort, and indeed for some people this and SHAFT would have been enough, but I think the topic of choice lends itself well to this style of treatment—and more importantly, opens the anime to a wider audience.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 00:09   Link #45
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjacat View Post
Still, (Senjougahara's) scary. Her deadpan gallows humor doesn't help eighter, you never know if she's really joking or really wants to blind you because of a slip of the tongue...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Araragi has one leg on heaven, and one leg on hell—not exactly the most envious position to be in.

Left: "It takes only one match to start a fire." Right: "Beware of fire."

How very apt... Yes, you're doomed, Ararararagi.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 00:13   Link #46
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
All that's missing are the collar and the whip...

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 00:17   Link #47
klare

up till eps 6, i feel Hitagi is independent, good looking, dangerous and smart

but if u are her lover, the slightest sense of disloyal towards her will get u killed (if u dont have fast healing factor)

basically she is the type i like
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 00:55   Link #48
Velsy

After having watched the first 5 episodes. I have to say shes a very unquie character. The moment she stuck the stanly knife into his mouth I knew she was going to be scary person! even pm the person who recommended the series to me in shock.

But the way she spoke words, and that inocent look she gives, is what I think makes her amazing. and to show that she serious, she stappled his cheek.

Thus having no feelings, she pretty much nailed Komoyi in conversation. But having had her feelings and wieght restored, she merly spoke as if she was poking at him with a stick, but still retaining he word of swords aspect. I've found it very entertaining and is why I have been enjoying the anime up to where I am right now.

Have to say she does remind me a little of Ami-chan from Toradora, but alot more crueler.

To sum up, very unquie and entertaining. I look foward to what has to come.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 04:13   Link #49
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Anyone who says Asuka is a typical tsundere is either deluding themselves or missing half the point of Eva.

Eva was about explaining how the kinds of personalities one typically sees in anime would actually come into existence; their answer was "through lots and lots of mental trauma". (It was supposed to be a huge subversion of character tropes... everyone went "oooh, robots" and missed the point.)

Bakemonogatari seems somewhat similar in this way... Hitagi is the way she is because of mental issues, not because that kind of personality makes for an interesting character.

This is why I think putting her personality into a box and labeling it is futile: She's a lot more "realistic" than 90% of anime characters. Hell, Koyomi is too.

Hitagi is Hitagi and that's that.
I said she is typical in the movies (Rebuild 2.0 You can (not) advance) they really made her into a typical tsundere there removing
Spoiler for eva:
She isn't even her own character because almost all her interactions are with Shinji or about Shinji, thus shaking her status as a stand-alone character.

Sohryu I sill count as tsundere (heck, i remember when tsundere term was still not widely used and eva was still high, other tsundere characters were called 'Asuka-like') just not your typical cutie one (like Shana or Taiga (tough I know you have different opinion regarding Taiga)).

Maybe because that, I see Hitagi as a tsudere too because I see quite some parallels between her and Sohryu (cant real call her Asuka now to avoid mixing it up with Shikinami who seems to be a different character type).
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 08:54   Link #50
Reekon

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but how can Hitagi be both weak/sickly and yet also the track ace?

Is it correct to think of it like this:

- originally weak and sickly.
- was cured in 5th grade (?)
- became track ace
- was assaulted near the end of middle school
- lost her weight (and again treated as weak/sickly?)
- weightless/weak until she meets Koyomi

And if so, is she now completely healed? Or does she still have her original sickness?
Reekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 09:53   Link #51
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reekon View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but how can Hitagi be both weak/sickly and yet also the track ace?

Is it correct to think of it like this:

- originally weak and sickly.
- was cured in 5th grade (?)
- became track ace
- was assaulted near the end of middle school
- lost her weight (and again treated as weak/sickly?)
- weightless/weak until she meets Koyomi

And if so, is she now completely healed? Or does she still have her original sickness?
Since she was cured by surgery, one would assume what threatened her life isn't a systemic illness; that is, she isn't physically affected normally, but she could still drop dead without warning. It could be a tumor, heart defect, etc.
Old 2009-08-14, 10:19   Link #52
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I suspect that, whatever her original illness was, it was something nearby the supernatural territory. When her story is told (ep.2), there's a screen where it says "a demon's right hand" and "a angel's left hand". Let's assume it's a metaphor, but then another flash text has her mother saying Hitagi's hands and feet have been horribly disfigured. Surgery's keywords are cut/connect/hurry. I'm fairly positive that the girl in ep.4 and 6 ending themes (the one with big beasty hands) would be Hitagi before the surgery.
I just wonder how comes she doesn't seem to have any kind of scars in her arms.

And then, was she born sick? If so, why her mother joined the cult only when Hitagi was in 5° grade? Such a state would have been clear way before her being 10-11 years. Just a hunch but, what if she stomped into a different oddity at that time?

There's still a whole lot of misteries floating around Senjougahara, both mental and phisical, both about past, present and future.
Old 2009-08-14, 10:25   Link #53
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I'm fairly positive that the girl in ep.4 and 6 ending themes (the one with big beasty hands) would be Hitagi before the surgery.
Really? I thought that was just part of the funky art style the ED was drawn in.
Old 2009-08-14, 10:34   Link #54
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Really? I thought that was just part of the funky art style the ED was drawn in.
I'm just putting together 2 plus 2 with the few elements the anime gave us (since I've never touched the novels anyway). If the indications given in episode 2 are to be interpreted as they came, it might be a valid possibility. After all, there's Hitagi with a stapler in the first ending, which is everything but a coincidence.
Old 2009-08-14, 10:36   Link #55
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
I had the same impression.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 11:02   Link #56
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
*nod* *nod*

Reminds me of the FLCL manga or the ED of Maria+Holic. I wouldn't read any meaning into the stylistic distortion of proportions.
Old 2009-08-14, 15:25   Link #57
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post
Reminds me of the FLCL manga or the ED of Maria+Holic. I wouldn't read any meaning into the stylistic distortion of proportions.
It's the same artist who did the FLCL manga, pretty sure.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 16:55   Link #58
DjJuvan

I think Pellissier may have the right theory about Senjohara's past. If I understand the ep.6 topic, it was just about recaling Senjohara's better days in the past.... BUT, there Hanekawa on the phone say's that is better not to look too much into someone's past.... she put's it like an ordinary excuse that he must ask her herself, but I think it's something too personal to discuss without permission of Senjohara.
There's something more to Senjohara's past, that's fore sure.
DjJuvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 19:41   Link #59
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
up till eps 6, i feel Hitagi is independent, good looking, dangerous and smart

but if u are her lover, the slightest sense of disloyal towards her will get u killed (if u dont have fast healing factor)

basically she is the type i like
So in short you are a glutton for pain
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 23:53   Link #60
Suzuku
(`・⊝・΄)/\(`・⊝・΄)

I absolutely love Senjougahara. Her yandere tendencies are just <3

I lol when she calls herself a Tsundere, along with Mayoi and Meme; I think they have their character types mixed up. ^^
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tsundere