Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-02, 01:09   Link #1
JackRydden224
Knight of Twelve's Knight

some sort of anti-hero anime?

So I watched The Punisher 2 the other day as well as Kaze no Stigma, and I'm really feeling like some stuff where the main character is not exactly your typical straight shot hero type. Lelouch from CG is another good example of an evil main character. I'm also a fan of Edward Elric from FMA even though he isn't evil in the slightest bit but he never spouts justice or other typical hero stuff that just gets old pretty quickly. Here are some others I liked

Hellsing
Orphen
Gurren Lagann
FMP (Sousuke is NOT an idealist here)
Get Backers
Golgo 13

I can't think of anymore at the moment but there's been too many indecisive leads or characters that goes on and on about ideals and justice I just get tired of them.

I need some attitude LOL
Old 2009-07-02, 01:15   Link #2
Cipher

One Piece- i mean the guy's a pirate..hehe

you liked Code Geass so why not try DeathNote? ...and its kinda weird, Lelouch does keep spouting stuff about ideals and justice ..a darker one..just like in Deathnote
Old 2009-07-02, 02:35   Link #3
jedinat

Not necessarily antihero, but these might be of interest:
Higashi no Eden
Cowboy Bebop
Kino no Tabi
Noir
Old 2009-07-02, 04:12   Link #4
Shadow Kira01

These animes may interest you..

Devil May Cry: Dante can transform into a devil, so I guess it fits the description.
Ga-Rei -Zero-: Although yomi-chan isn't the protagonist but she does seem that way for the first half of the series anyways.
Higashi no Eden: Takizawa Akira is somewhat of an anti-hero as that the guy runs around involved in some non-sensical conspiracy involving stolen SDF missiles, as well as countless covered-up murders.
Kara no Kyoukai: Ryougi Shiki goes around killing people due to her powers, even though she fights against the evil yet most people will most likely consider her as evil as well.
Kurogane no Linebarrels: Hayase Kouichi is a justice freak and thus, his actions will most likely look like Yagami Light's. To the neutral crowd, the guy is plain evil.
Nabari no Ou: Miharu Rokujou is definitely no hero, he does everything for Yoite which makes no sense at all.
Shikabane Hime: Hoshimura Makina is an undead, she definitely don't fit in with the Kougon cult as that the undead cannot live with the living or the holy. Thus, she is somewhat of an anti-hero.
Tokyo Majin Gakuen: Heroes from legends and fairytales do not turn into demons, yet Tatsuma Hiyuu does turn into one. Does it make him an anti-hero too?
Tower of Druaga: Neeba is definitely an anti-hero, he seeks to become the next Druaga.
Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo: Oryo-san fights against the government and the military, anti-hero is she not? She also fights against the traditional amakudari practices and upsets many career bureaucrats.

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-07-02 at 04:14. Reason: added Higashi no Eden.
Old 2009-07-02, 17:11   Link #5
GreatTeacherKen

Baccano!- vast majority of the characters are criminals, though the heroes (Jacuzzi's gang, the Gandor family, Issac/Miria) are very lovable and are pretty nice people. There's one specific character who can sort of be considered a hero despite his sadism and psychopathy, but I won't spoil which character that is.
Old 2009-07-03, 02:00   Link #6
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Black Lagoon is about as far away from idealistic hero as you can get. Rock may start out this way, but... yeah.
Old 2009-07-03, 04:15   Link #7
Cipher

Darker than BLack-not THAT good but possibly fitting to your taste.

Phantom~Requiem of the Phantom~-i strongly recommend this one!! its very compelling..to me at least..better than any of those you've seen. It's about an innocent man who becomes a ruthless assassin. It still ongoing so there might be a chance that he'll change for the better but all in all it's quite psychologically interesting.

Last edited by Cipher; 2009-07-03 at 05:06.
Old 2009-07-03, 04:25   Link #8
oompa loompa

Gurren Lagann --> no ideals???

If you want an anti-hero anime, with an anti-hero as the protagonist, you should probably try death note. If you want a hero that doesnt go blathering on about ideals etc, Van from Gun x Sword is definetly your man.

Other animes that are close to what you're saying and get high recommendation points are -

Cowboy Bebop - a great great show, great hero, and one of the most badass villains.
Samurai Champloo - If you want gritty heroes that dont shoot off their mouths, this is another great one. Besides the two main protagonists, the show itself is beautiful, and so is the atmosphere
Darker than Black - as suggested before
Black Lagoon - as suggested before, another realllyy good show in my opinion.

I havnt seen it myself, but you might want to check out Berserk as well then.

There are quite a few others, as soon as I remember Ill update
Old 2009-07-04, 02:11   Link #9
JackRydden224
Knight of Twelve's Knight

thanks guys!

Now I'll go get my hands on them =)
Old 2009-07-06, 10:33   Link #10
nomuni
Animal Gangster

Desert Punk is another. He's scum but you'll love him.
Old 2009-07-06, 11:53   Link #11
qwertyuiopz

overdrive...u get to see the main char really develop
Old 2009-07-07, 17:36   Link #12
mit7059

Strong second for Black Lagoon

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-07-07, 17:40   Link #13
AngstyMuffin
RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA

I'd go with Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro. The art might take some getting used too, but the main characters definitely aren't heroes.
Old 2009-07-08, 16:45   Link #14
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
If you want an anti-hero anime, with an anti-hero as the protagonist, you should probably try Death Note.

Seconded
Death Note is the way to go, can't get more anti-hero than good ol' Light Yagami