AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-18, 04:00   Link #121
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanz1170 View Post
Wait if Alto is sparkling.. than he must be....
In a shoujo manga?
Old 2010-10-18, 05:15   Link #122
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
In a shoujo manga?
Only for Ranka.
Old 2010-10-18, 09:36   Link #123
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

1000% FACTUAL LINER NOTES (Episode 1)

I figured this would be a good place to repost (and then finally complete) Kawamori's episode commentary from Frontier. I also decided to include the scenes listd in the DVD booklets' "Macross Check" section, although I'm not translating the blurbs that they put, just listing the sequences. There are few surprises there...most of the references have already been discovered by the fans.

Kawamori's Commentary
#01 - Close Encounter
Script: Hiroyuki Yoshino / Storyboard: Yasuhito Kikuchi, Shoji Kawamori / Production: Takayuki Tanaka / Art Direction: Yuichi Takahashi, Risa Ebata
In regards to the TV series, we're aiming for it to be the culmination of everything from the Macross series up to this point. The director (Yasuhito) Kikuchi and I did the storyboards ourselves, and we were able to put in all the little items we wanted to see. With the two of us doing it, 20 minutes just wasn't long enough! (laughs) We tried many experiments in the first episode. The parts that worked out well we brushed up and developed further in the following story.

Macross Check!
1. The scene with the guys in the Ex-Gears doing the "plane hand" while stretching their arms out to the sun is a reference to a key moment in Macross Plus.

2. Sheryl shouting "Listen to my song!" is an homage to Basara's signature line.

3. The VF-25 shooting its gunpod at the end of the episode is an homage to the end of episode 2 of SDFM TV, where the VF-1D is in the same pose.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 11:27   Link #124
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

What about the little cleaning robot that collected the cans? That's from DYRL.
Old 2010-10-18, 12:31   Link #125
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
I noticed that one!! I'm gonna have to keep note and mention the references starting next episode.

And we need more participants here.
Old 2010-10-18, 14:16   Link #126
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post

I figured this would be a good place to repost (and then finally complete) Kawamori's episode commentary from Frontier. I also decided to include the scenes listd in the DVD booklets' "Macross Check" section, although I'm not translating the blurbs that they put, just listing the sequences. There are few surprises there...most of the references have already been discovered by the fans.

Kawamori's Commentary
#01 - Close Encounter
Script: Hiroyuki Yoshino / Storyboard: Yasuhito Kikuchi, Shoji Kawamori / Production: Takayuki Tanaka / Art Direction: Yuichi Takahashi, Risa Ebata
In regards to the TV series, we're aiming for it to be the culmination of everything from the Macross series up to this point. The director (Yasuhito) Kikuchi and I did the storyboards ourselves, and we were able to put in all the little items we wanted to see. With the two of us doing it, 20 minutes just wasn't long enough! (laughs) We tried many experiments in the first episode. The parts that worked out well we brushed up and developed further in the following story.

Macross Check!
1. The scene with the guys in the Ex-Gears doing the "plane hand" while stretching their arms out to the sun is a reference to a key moment in Macross Plus.

2. Sheryl shouting "Listen to my song!" is an homage to Basara's signature line.

3. The VF-25 shooting its gunpod at the end of the episode is an homage to the end of episode 2 of SDFM TV, where the VF-1D is in the same pose.

very interesting... and not just that...

i am sure all the EX-Gears can be used to controlled a VF, Just like ep 25..

maybe 2 VF at most..using 2 hand
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 16:46   Link #127
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Yeah, the DVD booklets only mention two or three things per episode. Some of the references get left out.

But I'm not sure the cleaning robots fit the bill, considering they're essentially just technology of the world of Macross. Frontier has variable fighters as well...is that an homage to another Macross series?
Old 2010-10-18, 17:11   Link #128
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
But I'm not sure the cleaning robots fit the bill, considering they're essentially just technology of the world of Macross.
The scenes are pretty much identical, hence why i pointed it out. :3
Old 2010-10-18, 17:18   Link #129
wisteria233

Quote:
Yeah, the DVD booklets only mention two or three things per episode. Some of the references get left out.

But I'm not sure the cleaning robots fit the bill, considering they're essentially just technology of the world of Macross. Frontier has variable fighters as well...is that an homage to another Macross series?
Hey Gubaba I have a question. I heard that it was stated in one pf the dvd notes that after Sheryl gained popularity from her single "iteza gogo kuji don't be late" some of her older fans (in series) started to become of the opinion that its popular now it sucks. Is that true?
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 17:53   Link #130
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Hey Gubaba I have a question. I heard that it was stated in one pf the dvd notes that after Sheryl gained popularity from her single "iteza gogo kuji don't be late" some of her older fans (in series) started to become of the opinion that its popular now it sucks. Is that true?
I *think* you may be misremembering... From the liner notes for "Nyan Fro" (full translation here):

04. Sagittarius 9:00 PM Don’t Be Late
Elmo: From the 2059 Frontier concert at Tenkumon Hall. When this, Sheryl’s fifth single, was released in November of 2058, it stayed at the top of the Universal Board for 17 straight weeks, shattering the records for the biggest of big hit songs. At the time of its release, a rift was created inside the fan club out of jealousy between the fans born in Sagittarius and those born elsewhere. The split got more and more intense until finally the fan club divided into two factions. By the way, the Tenkumon Hall concert was originally scheduled for March First, but because of the effects of fold dislocation, the communication between Sheryl’s side and the promotion side wasn’t good, so the result was that the preparations for the concert were done at the last minute, and it was postponed until March Second. So the concert poster’s date was incorrect, and the staff had one day to correct all of the posters by hand.
Old 2010-10-18, 18:03   Link #131
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
The scenes are pretty much identical, hence why i pointed it out. :3
Yeah. Everything is the same except for Ranka. The thing came from the same side and moved the can into the same place as in DYRL.
Old 2010-10-18, 18:14   Link #132
wisteria233

Quote:
I *think* you may be misremembering... From the liner notes for "Nyan Fro" (full translation here):

04. Sagittarius 9:00 PM Don’t Be Late
Elmo: From the 2059 Frontier concert at Tenkumon Hall. When this, Sheryl’s fifth single, was released in November of 2058, it stayed at the top of the Universal Board for 17 straight weeks, shattering the records for the biggest of big hit songs. At the time of its release, a rift was created inside the fan club out of jealousy between the fans born in Sagittarius and those born elsewhere. The split got more and more intense until finally the fan club divided into two factions. By the way, the Tenkumon Hall concert was originally scheduled for March First, but because of the effects of fold dislocation, the communication between Sheryl’s side and the promotion side wasn’t good, so the result was that the preparations for the concert were done at the last minute, and it was postponed until March Second. So the concert poster’s date was incorrect, and the staff had one day to correct all of the posters by hand.
Oh I see thank you, I merely heard about it from another source so I just wanted see if it was true.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 03:51   Link #133
Father Hentai

Quote:

Kawamori's Commentary
#01 - Close Encounter

Macross Check!

Isn't the dress Ranka was wearing also a homage (or fixing her role ) to Lynn Minmay?
Old 2010-10-19, 04:51   Link #134
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Isn't the dress Ranka was wearing also a homage (or fixing her role ) to Lynn Minmay?
Is it? I must've missed that... but again (and, I hope, for the last time), The "Macross Check!!" stuff I'm posting isn't my personal list, it's from the DVD booklets. So if someone wants to complain that they left something out...there ain't nuthin' I can do 'bout that.
Old 2010-10-19, 05:40   Link #135
Father Hentai

Quote:
Is it? I must've missed that... but again (and, I hope, for the last time), The "Macross Check!!" stuff I'm posting isn't my personal list, it's from the DVD booklets. So if someone wants to complain that they left something out...there ain't nuthin' I can do 'bout that.
I'ts not a complaint! It's just that the whole scenery with Ranka in the Kittchen reminds to Lynn Minmays prerole
Old 2010-10-19, 07:06   Link #136
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Heck you could say Ranka working in a Chinese restaurant is a reference to Minmay. Works better then saying just her attire.
Old 2010-10-19, 07:13   Link #137
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Heck you could say Ranka working in a Chinese restaurant is a reference to Minmay. Works better then saying just her attire.
That's what I was going to say. It even makes me wonder if the food place Ranka works in is the same one as Minmay's family started.

Ranka has more in common with Minmay in the early episodes too.
Old 2010-10-19, 07:16   Link #138
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
That's what I was going to say. It even makes me wonder if the food place Ranka works in is the same one as Minmay's family started.
It is. Minmay's aunt and uncle ended up selling the restaurant to *ahem* little Yot-chan, who turned it into a galaxy-wide franchise.

I'm not sure if this ever got mentioned in Frontier material, but it was talked about in the booklet for the Macross 7 Docking Festival and again in Macross Chronicle magazine.
Old 2010-10-19, 07:18   Link #139
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I'm not sure if this ever got mentioned in Frontier material
I'm 99% sure it isn't.
Old 2010-10-19, 07:21   Link #140
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
It is. Minmay's aunt and uncle ended up selling the restaurant to *ahem* little Yot-chan, who turned it into a galaxy-wide franchise.

I'm not sure if this ever got mentioned in Frontier material, but it was talked about in the booklet for the Macross 7 Docking Festival and again in Macross Chronicle magazine.
Yeah. I had an incline since their little commercial said 50 years and this is 2059 which would place it's start in the beginning of the original Macross and all.

And who is "little Yot-chan" - my memory is too foggy with Macross, unfortunately.

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch