Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-05-01, 00:27   Link #1241
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Well I wasn't trying to imply that it was a bad thing that it had a story behind it, I was just simply saying it would be easier to follow the story if you play Calamity Trigger first.

And I know some people just play fighting games for the fighting aspect and wouldn't give plot a second glance, which is why I said to wait for CS if that's all you're looking for.

My apologies if that sounded wrong on some degree.
Some people? Try most people. Especially when you consider the generic "Bad guys are holding a fighting tournament, hero enters to defeat them" plot that a lot of fighters out there share. Ofcourse BlazBlue's different since there's more substance to the story than that. But unless you explain that, simply telling them if they care about story they should try the first one is not going to provide any encouragement to do so.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 06:25   Link #1242
Tsuchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
....You think he is scary now? Imagine what will happen if he gets Hakumen or Ragna. That would definitely be uncool for everyone on the opposing side.

The guy has talent, acknowledge him for that.
That was my point, actually. If we combine the two facts, being talented and using an almost cheap character, we get that.

I'm not saying anything against this guy (if what C.A. says below is true I'll just have a snarky smile in my face), I'm more worried about the balance of the game, as always.

Regarding how would he do with other characters, it can be pretty variant, since, well, different characters, different styles, different learning curves.

I will save my own opinion regarding him until I see him playing other characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
Would you guys recommend this game over SSF4?
Is this a good time to buy?
I've only ever played 3D fighting games xD
My personal recommendation: SFIV.

If you have never played 2D fighters in depth, this game will be a very good start. You will learn the basic 2D fighter concepts (okizeime, crossup, tick throwing, kara throwing, etc.), you'll get used to the combo system through a kind of exigent timing (but nothing that out of the ordinary), and most importantly: you'll have fun. The community is pretty big (and it'll probably get bigger with Super SFIV) so you'll usually have someone to play, which implies more learning and more... fun, yes. That last point can apply to BB too, anyway.

Let's say fighters like BlazBlue and Guilty Gear (Melty Blood too) are a bit too much to start with 2D's, they're very technical, kinda fast-paced, they require fast reflexes...

I'm not saying that you won't be able to play BB decently if you start with it, though, I'm just proposing what I think would be best to begin with.

You should consider trying The King Of Fighters XIII when it's out too. Or 2002 Unlimited Match for the PS2. Avoid KoF XII, though. If you never played the series, you'd get the wrong idea.
Tsuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 07:50   Link #1243
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
LOL, Tsuchi it's funny how you say BlazBlue isn't good to start with as one's first 2D fighting game. Most people out there criticize BB for being too "nub/scrub friendly", being too easy a game for players. And the guys over at Arc Sys have stated numerous times in interviews that BB is for all intents and purposes a "newcomer-friendly fighting game", which is why the Drive moves were put into the game in the first place and why execution is easier in BB than in GG.

Last edited by Tokkan; 2010-05-01 at 08:31.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 08:01   Link #1244
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
I'm also not sure whether to get this game or SSF4 first. I have SF4 already. I had the chance to play the psp version of Blazblue for about an hour, and had somehow mixed feelings about it.
The gameplay is extremely fast, first I was in training mode trying all the characters a little, and ended up wit Ragna (?) in the end, cause his playstyle seemed the most standard to me. Then I went to Arcade mode and beat it once with Ragna. The battles seemed somehow less strategic than those in SF4, but that could be just the fast gameplay coped with my very little experience. Basically I was spamming the same 3, 4 moves over and over again. You know, the d, db, b + A / B followed by d, db, b + D. There was barely any time to think about my moves.
Yeah, that's just my first impression of the game. I'm gonna have to try it out some more, once I get the chance.
Old 2010-05-01, 08:14   Link #1245
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
I'm also not sure whether to get this game or SSF4 first. I have SF4 already. I had the chance to play the psp version of Blazblue for about an hour, and had somehow mixed feelings about it.
The gameplay is extremely fast, first I was in training mode trying all the characters a little, and ended up wit Ragna (?) in the end, cause his playstyle seemed the most standard to me. Then I went to Arcade mode and beat it once with Ragna. The battles seemed somehow less strategic than those in SF4, but that could be just the fast gameplay coped with my very little experience. Basically I was spamming the same 3, 4 moves over and over again. You know, the d, db, b + A / B followed by d, db, b + D. There was barely any time to think about my moves.
Yeah, that's just my first impression of the game. I'm gonna have to try it out some more, once I get the chance.
There's no strategy when fighting against the com. Strategy only comes in when you fight with humans.

But if you really want to test the gameplay against the computer, you should be doing it at the highest difficulty.

Like you said, the gameplay is extremely fast, its the exact reason why fighting against human players is extremely strategic and challenging. The mind games in this can be even higher than Street Fighter.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 08:24   Link #1246
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Strategy against AI is just exploiting its flaws, most of the time.

I'm just using the AI to practice my combo, especially those that need my reaction on counter hit. If you want an opponent, find a human player at least.
Old 2010-05-01, 09:36   Link #1247
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchi View Post
I will save my own opinion regarding him until I see him playing other characters.
Satoshi is a notorious player in Japan, he used Potemkin back in GG (he reached Tougeki SBO's final with his team around two?/three years ago placing second behind Ogawa's team) and in BBCT he didn't have a real main character as he played with Bang, Tao and Nu. Just because he picked Nu for last year's SBO doesn't make him a "tier-whore".

Quote:
My personal recommendation: SFIV.

If you have never played 2D fighters in depth, this game will be a very good start. You will learn the basic 2D fighter concepts (okizeime, crossup, tick throwing, kara throwing, etc.), you'll get used to the combo system through a kind of exigent timing (but nothing that out of the ordinary), and most importantly: you'll have fun. The community is pretty big (and it'll probably get bigger with Super SFIV) so you'll usually have someone to play, which implies more learning and more... fun, yes. That last point can apply to BB too, anyway.

Let's say fighters like BlazBlue and Guilty Gear (Melty Blood too) are a bit too much to start with 2D's, they're very technical, kinda fast-paced, they require fast reflexes...

I'm not saying that you won't be able to play BB decently if you start with it, though, I'm just proposing what I think would be best to begin with.

You should consider trying The King Of Fighters XIII when it's out too. Or 2002 Unlimited Match for the PS2. Avoid KoF XII, though. If you never played the series, you'd get the wrong idea.
IMO if one wants to learn good basics and fundamentals for 2D fighting games then Super Street Fighter II X is what you have to play. Game might be old but it's still one of the best (if not the best) at teaching what proper spacing is, how to play footsies and so on.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 09:40   Link #1248
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Strategy against AI is just exploiting its flaws, most of the time.
And the AI in this game has quite a large one. I've beaten the entirety of Score Attack as Tager using nothing but throw + atomic collider.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 18:36   Link #1249
Tsuchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
LOL, Tsuchi it's funny how you say BlazBlue isn't good to start with as one's first 2D fighting game. Most people out there criticize BB for being too "nub/scrub friendly", being too easy a game for players. And the guys over at Arc Sys have stated numerous times in interviews that BB is for all intents and purposes a "newcomer-friendly fighting game", which is why the Drive moves were put into the game in the first place and why execution is easier in BB than in GG.
You see, even with that, putting Guilty Gear aside, I still think BB is more complicated than SFIV. Sure, you need to do FRC properly in GG to dominate most of the characters and combos, but still the difference in speed of gameplay between SFIV and this one is noticeable... SFIV has that "paused" flow that makes you learn bit by bit. In games like BB or GG (though in different degrees), you can end up pretty confused when you don't know what you're exactly doing; after that, getting frustrated and eventually leave the game.

I know a couple of cases and I tell you it isn't a nice thing to see.
Quote:
Satoshi is a notorious player in Japan, he used Potemkin back in GG (he reached Tougeki SBO's final with his team around two?/three years ago placing second behind Ogawa's team) and in BBCT he didn't have a real main character as he played with Bang, Tao and Nu. Just because he picked Nu for last year's SBO doesn't make him a "tier-whore".
Thanks for the info. Then I'll see it as just a coincidence. Must search more info about him.
Quote:
IMO if one wants to learn good basics and fundamentals for 2D fighting games then Super Street Fighter II X is what you have to play. Game might be old but it's still one of the best (if not the best) at teaching what proper spacing is, how to play footsies and so on.
I thought about that too. But that's the 'problem', being it an old game; even for the sake of learning, it could end up being an unattractive option for someone who is still about to enter the world of 2D fighting.

I just tried to find a balance between recent games, what are the options of this member and the amount of learning one would get from them.

Last edited by Tsuchi; 2010-05-01 at 18:46.
Old 2010-05-01, 21:05   Link #1250
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
I thought about that too. But that's the 'problem', being it an old game; even for the sake of learning, it could end up being an unattractive option for someone who is still about to enter the world of 2D fighting.
Yep, the footies in SFII are far better than anything SFIV or BB and it would be the best place to learn the fundamentals (which help in any 2d fighting game) but on the flipside next to no one plays it.

Best bet would be jumping straight into the recently released Super Street Fighter IV since it's community is the biggest of any fighting game online and offline. Very easy to pick up but hard to master.. balance seems.. superb atm.. I have way more trouble with the link system in SFIV than Blazblue.. due to the way they do inputs.. personally hate linking in SFIV..

Last edited by Westlo; 2010-05-01 at 21:55.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 21:18   Link #1251
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I thought they had made linking far easier in SFIV.

Also lol 33 jab/short/fierce DPs. I don't think the oversimplified inputs in SFIV will help your execution if you're not used to it.

BB has that thing where if you hold the button it counts as 5 separate inputs for 5 frames so vOv

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 21:29   Link #1252
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
BB has that thing where if you hold the button it counts as 5 separate inputs for 5 frames so vOv
This is why linking is so much easier in BB than SFIV, SFIV linking system pisses me off and for a game which is primarily meant for online crowd (especially with Super) why they stick with so many tight one frame links in an environment with lag is beyond me.

I suck at one framers period, but I can do do them every now and than offline, but I don't even try shit like cr jab cr heavy punch heavy tatsu with ken online period. I stick to the basics online.

I wish they had the Blazblue system, doesn't have to be 5 frames... and yeah the shortcut system is moronic.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 00:52   Link #1253
kyosak
poo

Hmm, well thanks for the replies.

I guess I'll wait for that newer version coming out this summer then. Any concrete release date yet?
kyosak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 00:59   Link #1254
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

If my mind serves me right, around July.
Old 2010-05-02, 06:38   Link #1255
Tsuchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Yep, the footies in SFII are far better than anything SFIV or BB and it would be the best place to learn the fundamentals (which help in any 2d fighting game) but on the flipside next to no one plays it.

Best bet would be jumping straight into the recently released Super Street Fighter IV since it's community is the biggest of any fighting game online and offline. Very easy to pick up but hard to master.. balance seems.. superb atm.. I have way more trouble with the link system in SFIV than Blazblue.. due to the way they do inputs.. personally hate linking in SFIV..
Hmmm, I'm no SFIV master and I get them right most of the time unless there's a lot of lag. You get used to it, eventually.

(Notice that I say "most of the time", it's true that sometimes comboing in netplay is hard).
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
Hmm, well thanks for the replies.

I guess I'll wait for that newer version coming out this summer then. Any concrete release date yet?
kyosak, not to be nitpicky here, but we are giving you good reasons to start with SFIV here. Are you choosing BB in the end because of the chain frame problem?

Another good thing about "strict" fighting games in what is related to combo hit chaining is that it will prevent you from "mashing" afterwards; you'll be more conscious of what you're doing, you'll control yourself better and you'll get used to visualizing the combo before actually doing it, timing included.

Talking clearly, you'll actually learn how to time your combos, instead of pressing AAABBBCCC like a madman, taking advantage of the N frames a game like BB gives to you.

Also, guys, SFIV isn't that strict. Ever played KoF 2002 and its MAX Mode combos? The execution must be brutal.
Old 2010-05-02, 07:00   Link #1256
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

Also, guys, SFIV isn't that strict. Ever played KoF 2002 and its MAX Mode combos? The execution must be brutal.
IMO, KoF98 is pretty much one of the strictest up here. Pulling Heavy D!'s d B, d B, d B, d B, d B, d B, s A or Takuma's d B, d B, d B, d B, d A, fw + A
makes me want to pull my hair off.

But yeah, if one want to learn the basics such as footsies, game spacing or the good old tick throws, SFIIX is recommended.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 08:24   Link #1257
leodamine
Divine Akuma

Anybody wanna play a few matches on psn? I really need to practice my combos, pressure, blocking, ect. Thing is ranked match is full of crappy Jins and Ragnas who don't know how to block. My psn is leodamine, so feel free to add me if you're up for a match. Also I play xbl too, but that's a different account.
Old 2010-05-03, 09:58   Link #1258
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

I'd be willing to play with you, but I don't know if my skill level is at the level that you're looking for. I'm pretty bad (picked the game up about a month ago).

PSN is Necrophantasiaa

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 12:47   Link #1259
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
This is why linking is so much easier in BB than SFIV, SFIV linking system pisses me off and for a game which is primarily meant for online crowd (especially with Super) why they stick with so many tight one frame links in an environment with lag is beyond me.

I suck at one framers period, but I can do do them every now and than offline, but I don't even try shit like cr jab cr heavy punch heavy tatsu with ken online period. I stick to the basics online.

I wish they had the Blazblue system, doesn't have to be 5 frames... and yeah the shortcut system is moronic.
Save a few exceptions there is no real "linking" in BB or rather it isn't as prevalent, as most moves chain one after another.

Although I agree that SF4's linking system adds unnecessary trouble that really doesn't teach a whole lot in terms of skills. It's just muscle memory and that's it. So while on one hand combos are generally "easier" in BB (depending on the character you are playing of course) I think spacing in BB regarding combos plays a more vital role than it does in SF4.

To be more precise: spacing is of course important in both games, but while in SF4 spacing is mostly and almost solely important when it comes to footsies (as there's literally almost no abare at all from long pokes), in BB spacing determines how well you can land a certain combo in a specific matchup (think of Taokaka, Litchi, Rachel, etc).
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 15:40   Link #1260
leodamine
Divine Akuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post
I'd be willing to play with you, but I don't know if my skill level is at the level that you're looking for. I'm pretty bad (picked the game up about a month ago).

PSN is Necrophantasiaa
As long as you aren't terribad, I'm fine with fighting you. I can only use Bang though, so don't expect a lot of variety fighting me.

Tags
3ds, arc system works, arcade, fighting, ps vita, ps3, psp, windows, xbox360