AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-23, 00:09   Link #41
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Well, with all the metaphysical talk happening in the episode 3 disscussion thread and the little bit in the Suzumiya Haruhi thread itself, I suggest a Metaphysics of Suzumiya Haruhi thread so these suprisingly interesting discussions have a home.
Old 2006-04-23, 00:41   Link #42
Adigard

Maids! x3 had the better title I feel... The Ontology of Suzumiya Haruhi.

It gives you a wider breath of topics to discuss, rather than limiting yourself simply to the Metaphysics. In theory, not only could it contain the metaphysical discussions that have been bandied about in the ep3 thread, but it could also contain the description of the formulae from the OP... as well as potential future disussions as we learn more about the backgrounds/workings of the other characters in the show.

I mostly add this here because quite a lot of the ep3 discussion will fall into the shadows once the ep4 discussion opens. Technically the difference between Metaphysics and Ontology is some people won't have to hit the dictionary to get a definition of the former ^^
Old 2006-04-23, 00:48   Link #43
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

I agree with the above posts, a nice home for all the ep3 discussion would be greatly appreciated. The posters really went the extra mile with their contributions.
Old 2006-04-23, 00:53   Link #44
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

It seems to me that my earlier request for a "metaphysical/philosophical" thread (that later got morphed into the "speculation" section of the Future Episode Synopses/Series Predictions/General Speculation thread) has come up again in a different form. As such I feel duty bound to add my voice to the others above requesting for an Ontology of Suzumiya Haruhi thread.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-04-23, 01:31   Link #45
Adigard

Also, while we're on the topic of new threads... we're going to need an ep4 thread in a few hours ^^
Old 2006-04-23, 02:14   Link #46
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

The discussion was drifting from philosophy to physics, and we all know where that leads: mathematics. I thought, "these people are going start solving equations." It's an appropriate topic for the subforum, I think. It was a little off-topic for the Episode Three thread. Without their own thread, the same thing will happen with Episode Four. Or is it Seven?

See? We had an Episode One that may in fact be Episode Zero, and now, apparently, we are about to get an Episode Four that might be Episode Seven. Sooner or later, someone is going to detect a pattern! And patterns inevitably lead to places. Places like Copenhagen. If Copenhagen comes up again in the Episode Four (which might be Episode Seven) thread, I'll have to start drinking very heavily. Which also leads to places. Uncertain places. And uncertainty will only lead us to Heisenberg, whom I believe was a student of Neils Bohr, and Bohr just brings us back to Copenhagen. And more heavy drinking.

It's a viscious cycle. So please give the physicists and philosophers their own thread.
Old 2006-04-23, 02:19   Link #47
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I am guilty as charged... and I would also ask for the ontology thread and ep4/7 thread.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-04-23, 08:44   Link #48
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard

It gives you a wider breath of topics to discuss, rather than limiting yourself simply to the Metaphysics. In theory, not only could it contain the metaphysical discussions that have been bandied about in the ep3 thread, but it could also contain the description of the formulae from the OP... as well as potential future disussions as we learn more about the backgrounds/workings of the other characters in the show.

I mostly add this here because quite a lot of the ep3 discussion will fall into the shadows once the ep4 discussion opens. Technically the difference between Metaphysics and Ontology is some people won't have to hit the dictionary to get a definition of the former ^^
Good point and I agree that the new thread should be The Ontology of Suzumiya Haruhi.
Old 2006-04-23, 09:41   Link #49
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
I agree too!
Old 2006-04-23, 10:17   Link #50
Prodigious
Level 5 Haruhiist

Send a message via AIM to Prodigious Send a message via MSN to Prodigious Send a message via Yahoo to Prodigious
I second... err fifth that motion.
Old 2006-04-23, 10:47   Link #51
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

On this idea of an Ontology of Suzumiya Haruhi thread...can you tell me where the discussion starts in the Episode 3 thread? Which post was the genesis of the discussion? I'd like the read up on what you guys are talking about without having to sift through 15 pages. Thanks.
Old 2006-04-23, 12:11   Link #52
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

The discussion seems to have picked up here
Back a few posts for speculation of time travelling.
This is when they were starting to get more serious into the discussions

Rough guesstimates on my part, but should prove to be good bedtime material

Edit: ah this might prove useful... Psieye's and panzerfan's find in the OP
That should be all...I think...

Last edited by Shirobane; 2006-04-23 at 12:33.
Old 2006-04-23, 12:33   Link #53
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirobane
The discussion seems to have picked up here
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=244
Back a few posts for speculation of time travelling.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=271
is when they were starting to get more serious into the discussions

Rough guesstimates on my part, but should prove to be good bedtime material

Edit: ah this might prove useful...
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=663
and
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=667
find in the OP
That should be all...I think...
links fixed

Edit: You beat me T__T
Old 2006-04-23, 12:37   Link #54
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

sorry about that, I was partially distracted and got everything backwards
Old 2006-04-23, 14:56   Link #55
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard
All right...I created this thread and moved over a batch of posts. If there's a post of yours (or anyone’s) that you feel belongs in that thread, let me know or just re-post the information. I'm not so sure about the word "Ontology". I know what it means and use it on a daily basis, but I'm not so sure others will, soooo, if you see future "Metaphysical" post crop up by people that don't know what that words means, be a pal and nicely point them to that thread.

This new thread should be a good test to see if off topic chat in the Episode threads has legs beyond the Episode thread and is worthy of a separate discussion of its own. Props to melange for originally proposing the idea awhile ago.

Cheers.

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-04-23 at 15:11.
Old 2006-04-23, 21:23   Link #56
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids!
See? We had an Episode One that may in fact be Episode Zero, and now, apparently, we are about to get an Episode Four that might be Episode Seven. Sooner or later, someone is going to detect a pattern! And patterns inevitably lead to places. Places like Copenhagen. If Copenhagen comes up again in the Episode Four (which might be Episode Seven) thread, I'll have to start drinking very heavily. Which also leads to places. Uncertain places. And uncertainty will only lead us to Heisenberg, whom I believe was a student of Neils Bohr, and Bohr just brings us back to Copenhagen. And more heavy drinking.
Didn't someone say that circular logic will only make you dizzy?
Old 2006-04-23, 23:48   Link #57
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

What about a "Why is this show so popular?" thread.

I forget which blog had a good discussion going about this, with answers like: Haruhi, Mikuru, mass hysteria, good animation, Kyon's voiceover, self-reflexiveness, leaving gaps that suck people in, etc. We haven't really started talking about it here, I don't think, but I certainly don't know why the show has become so viral.

I posted something about Marshall Mcluhan's media theories (this being a "cool" show in that it leaves a lot out and requires the audience to participate by filling in the blanks) and it was suggested that further discussion along those lines belongs in the Ontology thread, but I think it belongs more in a thread like the one I suggest.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-04-24, 00:52   Link #58
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo

I forget which blog had a good discussion going about this, with answers like: Haruhi, Mikuru, mass hysteria, good animation, Kyon's voiceover, self-reflexiveness, leaving gaps that suck people in, etc. We haven't really started talking about it here, I don't think, but I certainly don't know why the show has become so viral.

I posted something about Marshall Mcluhan's media theories (this being a "cool" show in that it leaves a lot out and requires the audience to participate by filling in the blanks) and it was suggested that further discussion along those lines belongs in the Ontology thread, but I think it belongs more in a thread like the one I suggest.
I've attempted to spark some discussion about that in the original Suzumiya Haruhi Thread but it never caught much steam, my guess is that most people throw away all reason and simply enjoy the show

But it certainly would be fun to analyse what makes the show reminiscent of an epidemic
Old 2006-04-24, 01:02   Link #59
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo

I don't have any hypothesis' to add at the moment (need sleep) but I do think it should be something to be looked into. A new thread would keep things nice and streamlined (since 'ontology' seems to be more scientific/metaphysic and not media studies like this would be) but I don't mind if it ends up in an existing thread.

About Blogs:
You're probably taking about あいとゆうきのおとぎばなし's "What’s the deal with the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya’s popularity?" article. The comments there are becoming interesting. You could also include the final paragraphs on in Anime on My Mind's "Thin Slicing the New Season, Spring 2006 Edition" in which he compares the viral nature of Haruhi to the heyday of Evangelion. (Strangely enough, does the flashback of the 'blue giant' in Ep4 not remind you of the flashback of Adam in Eva? There are other parallels but those are for later)

PS: In the event it is decided where discussion of this sort should go whether in a new thread or the Ontology thread, please move this post to the appropriate thread. Thank you!

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by melange; 2006-04-24 at 01:16.
Old 2006-04-26, 02:09   Link #60
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

I agree with the "Why is this show a meme?" thread... perhaps "The Popularity of Suzumiya Haruhi"? : P

Really I find it fascinating people seem to be going "ZOMG T3H ULTIMATE OMEGA FUNNY" then they get all hissy when it gets into not-comedy and such...
Closed Thread