Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-02, 08:48   Link #2361
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Shana may also became popular since her character being a tsundere was craze back then....
So, Shana got that popular back then only due to the presence of a tsundere girl like her? Hmm...that’s...incredible . I mean, it’s not like Shana invented the “cute tsundere girl” right? What makes her that special? (aside from outside factor like her KugiRie seiyuu, etc)
Old 2013-04-02, 08:54   Link #2362
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
So, Shana got that popular back then only due to the presence of a tsundere girl like her? Hmm...that’s...incredible . I mean, it’s not like Shana invented the “cute tsundere girl” right? What makes her that special? (aside from outside factor like her KugiRie seiyuu, etc)
To be fair though, after the succes of both Zero no Tsukaima and Shakugan no Shana we got to see more LN adaptations and Kugimiya Rie casted as tsunderes
Old 2013-04-02, 09:00   Link #2363
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
To be fair though, after the succes of both Zero no Tsukaima and Shakugan no Shana we got to see more LN adaptations and Kugimiya Rie casted as tsunderes
And to be fair too, I’m not asking about that. What I’m asking is: if we look at the anime itself, what’s so special about Shakugan no Shana? I mean, even I can understand the appeal of anime like Code Geass (outside from the hype that it's Clamp + Sunrise collaboration or whatnot) no matter how ridiculous the story is to me. So, is Shana’s charm as a “cute tsundere girl” really that strong back then?
Old 2013-04-02, 12:14   Link #2364
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
And to be fair too, I’m not asking about that. What I’m asking is: if we look at the anime itself, what’s so special about Shakugan no Shana? I mean, even I can understand the appeal of anime like Code Geass (outside from the hype that it's Clamp + Sunrise collaboration or whatnot) no matter how ridiculous the story is to me. So, is Shana’s charm as a “cute tsundere girl” really that strong back then?
Yes. Yes it is.
Old 2013-04-02, 15:36   Link #2365
Echoes

Quote:
I can only offer my perspective on the series, so take it for what it's worth.

Shana is a strong driving force for the series. She's cute, she's feisty, and her character design, especially when she's in her fighting form, rocking that red hair and fiery eyes, is a thing of beauty. Her iconic design is what most stands out, and probably what immediately jumps to mind for most people when they hear the title. (Which in itself is just so marketable and memorable, "Shakugan no Shana". It's got alliteration, it's easy to pronounce without knowing Japanese, and it's just fun to say.)

She is by no means the only selling point of the series, though. I think that the mythology is just fantastic. The world-building is what kept me most interested, despite loving the characters. The terminology is well fleshed out, and the idea of people fading from existence is surprisingly grim.
Spoiler for Mild concept spoiler:
That appeals to me, and makes the series stand out. It's also got some pretty damn cool action scenes with a large variety of enemies, a kick-ass soundtrack, as well as opening themes that completely rock and set the mood for what's to come.
Old 2013-04-02, 16:43   Link #2366
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I can only offer my perspective on the series, so take it for what it's worth.

Shana is a strong driving force for the series. She's cute, she's feisty, and her character design, especially when she's in her fighting form, rocking that red hair and fiery eyes, is a thing of beauty. Her iconic design is what most stands out, and probably what immediately jumps to mind for most people when they hear the title. (Which in itself is just so marketable and memorable, "Shakugan no Shana". It's got alliteration, it's easy to pronounce without knowing Japanese, and it's just fun to say.)

She is by no means the only selling point of the series, though. I think that the mythology is just fantastic. The world-building is what kept me most interested, despite loving the characters. The terminology is well fleshed out, and the idea of people fading from existence is surprisingly grim.
Spoiler for Mild concept spoiler:
That appeals to me, and makes the series stand out. It's also got some pretty damn cool action scenes with a large variety of enemies, a kick-ass soundtrack, as well as opening themes that completely rock and set the mood for what's to come.
Hmm...I see. Thanks for your informative reply. As for my own view, I think this reviews from Blu-ray.com’s Jeffrey Kauffman is one of the best representation of it:
Spoiler for Shana Season 1:
Spoiler for Shana Season 2:
Old 2013-04-02, 17:13   Link #2367
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Ok, what makes her special?

> tsundere
> wields a sword
> red hair/black hair.
> loli

Others
> romance
> animation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Her iconic design is what most stands out, and probably what immediately jumps to mind for most people when they hear the title. (Which in itself is just so marketable and memorable, "Shakugan no Shana".
She's a legend....
Old 2013-04-02, 17:25   Link #2368
Echoes

Quote:
Hmm...I see. Thanks for your informative reply.
I'm glad you found it informative, writing it was my pleasure.

I can see how someone would perceive the terminology as heavy-handed as opposed to interesting. I think it's fleshed out enough to make learning more about it fun and intriguing, but others might think it's unnecessary baggage or confusing exposition. It's all part of the world-building which aids in creating the general atmosphere of the series, which is hard to nail down in words, but which combined with the music excels at evoking a mood of ominous mystery. I also think that the contrast between the normal, everyday activities they engage in, and the bizarre monsters they face during the battles, is a strength rather than a weakness. Unfortunately, the second season focused entirely too much on the former, leading to a prolonged arc of almost nothing but school life, which is my least favorite part of the series. Margery, by the way, is also one of my least favorite parts of the series, so I guess me and Jeffrey Kauffman (and by extension, you) just take away very different things from the series. Which is, of course, perfectly fine.
Old 2013-04-03, 04:17   Link #2369
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekkyoha View Post
Anime with a ton of focus on a tsundere and where it is obvious that the MC will end up with her. Also most moe anime, only ones I'm ok with are lucky star and pani poni.
That's why MM failed me....
Old 2013-04-03, 04:46   Link #2370
Qikz

Cowboy Bebop, I tried watching it and got bored, now everyone I know seems to regard at as"teh best anime evaaaar!!!!" :/\
Old 2013-04-03, 07:39   Link #2371
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Anime you hate but everyone seems to like?

Thanks you for mentioning it:

-Shakugan no Shana
-Zero no Tsukaima

I did not like these shows. Although I didn't watch them to the end, I was still disappointed from what I saw. I only watched them because they were "popular" but then I understood that it is not something that I could enjoy watching, so i dropped both of them.

Because reasons.

Nah the reasons are actually certain tropes that I really cannot stand. The main characters also felt quite... "artificial" and "stereotypical".
Old 2013-04-04, 18:36   Link #2372
Fuyuno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I don't hate it exactly(I do like the characters, and not for the looks either) but if people thought K was bad? Hakkenden is actually worse.
At least Hakkenden belongs in the right demographics, unlike K which basically a stupid(but effective) marketing scheme for girls to buy more shounen mangas.
Old 2013-04-04, 18:54   Link #2373
mistress_kisara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuno View Post
At least Hakkenden belongs in the right demographics, unlike K which basically a stupid(but effective) marketing scheme for girls to buy more shounen mangas.
What's wrong with girls buying shounen manga?
Old 2013-04-04, 21:19   Link #2374
finalfury
Incognito

Quote:
Decent female lead was what initially pulled me in to be honest. Her character development kept me watching. Shana satisfies my hair preferences: twin tails, pony tail, long black hair etc. Then again, watching this and zero no tsukaima together, its no wonder I ended up liking Shana more. Louise is just really violent to be honest. And I'm also one of the rare ones that watched the dub before the sub version. Also during the time period I watched it, I was less aware of moe and ecchi fan service as I am now and since Shana arguably didn't have that much fan service, I ended up liking it more and I never knew that Rie Kugimiya even existed during that time period since I watched the dub first.
I do recommend finishing the third season if you watched the first two seasons, since it does get better at the expense of being more convoluted and makes you figure out what's going on instead of telling you explicitly. It's more plot, less romantic comedy. It also has a satisfying conclusion which makes the convoluted season worthwhile despite being slightly cliche. I'll probably add my opinion on the series later but need to edit it since it's one page already. ==
The mythology of the series is what I believe to be special about Shakugan no Shana. The whole idea and philosophy about existence is one aspect that distinguished this series from many others.

Last edited by finalfury; 2013-04-04 at 21:47.
Old 2013-04-04, 23:12   Link #2375
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfury View Post
I do recommend finishing the third season if you watched the first two seasons, since it does get better at the expense of being more convoluted and makes you figure out what's going on instead of telling you explicitly. It's more plot, less romantic comedy. It also has a satisfying conclusion which makes the convoluted season worthwhile despite being slightly cliche. I'll probably add my opinion on the series later but need to edit it since it's one page already. ==
The mythology of the series is what I believe to be special about Shakugan no Shana. The whole idea and philosophy about existence is one aspect that distinguished this series from many others.
I watched the first season because I had no idea what I was doing. I watched the second season since I watched the first. Then I watched third three and it was gold. It made the previous two seasons worthwhile and distinguishes SnS from all the other series with the typical tsundere lead. I did read the LN though.

Quote:
So, is Shana’s charm as a “cute tsundere girl” really that strong back then?
Maybe one day we will look back to K-ON and say...
Well this is an " Anime you hate but everyone seems to like?" thread. The other one would be Evangelion. I am sorry, I tried but I am not pretentious enough.
Old 2013-04-05, 07:34   Link #2376
finalfury
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izayoi View Post
Maybe one day we will look back to K-ON and say...
Well this is an " Anime you hate but everyone seems to like?" thread. The other one would be Evangelion. I am sorry, I tried but I am not pretentious enough.
Never really liked K-ON myself either and another one would be Sword Art Online. There are others as well that I can't remember off the top of my head.
Old 2013-04-05, 09:21   Link #2377
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I already mentioned this one but...High School of the Dead. The only reason why lots of people go nuts for this one is because it is the closest anime can get to the critically-acclaimed TV series Walking Dead. I don't see what's the appeal on zombies in general. I can see why people can like ninjas and pirates but not zombies. Ninjas had interesting code of honor and pirates had cool rebellious attitude. Zombies had none of what make ninjas and pirates cool. Just rotting corpse craving for brains, which HSotD zombies don't have.
Old 2013-04-05, 09:38   Link #2378
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
I already mentioned this one but...High School of the Dead. The only reason why lots of people go nuts for this one is because it is the closest anime can get to the critically-acclaimed TV series Walking Dead. I don't see what's the appeal on zombies in general. I can see why people can like ninjas and pirates but not zombies. Ninjas had interesting code of honor and pirates had cool rebellious attitude. Zombies had none of what make ninjas and pirates cool. Just rotting corpse craving for brains, which HSotD zombies don't have.
They might think the same... We don't want a hot chick becoming zombie food...
Old 2013-04-05, 10:10   Link #2379
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
I doubt this... As far as i know HSotD was already there before walking dead became popular.
Old 2013-04-06, 18:05   Link #2380
Joyce_Steele
Banned

My dumber part of me wants to mention ****** *** but my wiser part of me says mentioning that show, even just by its name alone would only increase its notoriety and makes more people even more interested on it. It already popular just for its controversial part alone rather than plot, characters, production qualities, etc. Regardless how bad I want to mention it but it safer to letting anyone know about that shitty show in first place.

So the thread is asking me "Anime you hate(or at least dislike) but everyone seems to like?" and I should say Starry Sky. "Hate" probably too strong word for this show but there is one thing I really hate about not because it popular(to the target audiences at least) but rather how it didn't get much criticism as it should. Where should I start? First the unlikeable heroine who just there of sake of being there, probably equivalent to loser, lonely geek for no reasons all pretty girls attracted to him in male-oriented harem shows. Second it's just a pure fanservice show for girls, proving that it just as shallow as male oriented ones. Hell even male-oriented harem shows are evolving and no longer centered on loser geek got pretty chicks theme like we saw in Live Hina days anymore.
Closed Thread