Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-04-09, 02:40   Link #1921
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
Well,Im not used to Jinx either,Im still unable to mentally program myself for that one,but the thing is in the case of the GN-X,the Jinx is sort of close to the actual spelling,you just prnounce the GNX all in one go and you'll get something close to Jinx,so that one has spell based reasons,its just that they forgo the usual "Gee And" pronouciation of the word GN,normally used in this series.

"Gun Archer" on the other hand,has no letter to make it the apparent pronociation.
I still call it the GN Archer, it's that I don't like "Gun Archer", it's just that I can't get use to it.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 03:56   Link #1922
JC...
I am a Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
No, that one is still called Double 0, because that sounds cool.

"Jinx" on the other hand, does not.
It's like the GMs are called Jims... sorry if it's against the rules to bring up UC in a 00 thread
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 04:19   Link #1923
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC... View Post
It's like the GMs are called Jims... sorry if it's against the rules to bring up UC in a 00 thread
It's funny you mention that, because in the english dub of 0080, Bernie calls a "Jim" a GM.
Old 2010-04-09, 07:46   Link #1924
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Saying GM as "Jim" still makes more sense to me than a GN-X a "Jinx". If it was spelled GNX, then I could see how calling it a "Jinx" would make sense, but there is a deliberate space between the N and the X, so, at least to me, it just doesn't sound right.

And for me, I've always thought saying it as "G-N-X" has a cool "military" feel to it.
Old 2010-04-09, 14:20   Link #1925
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Well, in actual practice the military does shorten pronunciations that way. I doubt many people will know what sort of vehicle the term High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV) refers to, but they will recognize it if it's called by it's shorter name: the Humvee.

Besides, "Jee-En-Ex" requires three syllables to pronounce, while "Jinx" needs only one, and hence more convenient especially over radio communication.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 15:07   Link #1926
GundamMeisterLockon
Lock N Load

won't that jinx the pilot into getting killed by saying jinx ? LOL
Old 2010-04-09, 15:12   Link #1927
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

They can just point at Patrick if anyone asks about that.
Old 2010-04-09, 17:56   Link #1928
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Well, in actual practice the military does shorten pronunciations that way. I doubt many people will know what sort of vehicle the term High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV) refers to, but they will recognize it if it's called by it's shorter name: the Humvee.

Besides, "Jee-En-Ex" requires three syllables to pronounce, while "Jinx" needs only one, and hence more convenient especially over radio communication.
More convenient for laughter among troops.
Old 2010-04-10, 06:53   Link #1929
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
I still call it the GN Archer, it's that I don't like "Gun Archer", it's just that I can't get use to it.
That one,for some reason,I had no trouble getting used to,I guess its because it always made sense to me.

Quote:
More convenient for laughter among troops.
Which actually is a good thing,as it gives them more stuff to soften the tension with.

But I guess I sort of see the one syllable thing that Lowegear mentioned now.I guess it is practical.
Old 2010-04-11, 11:12   Link #1930
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Though it being the 1.5 Gundam goes to show more differences in the factions of Celestial Being--namely, the Innovades having a different naming philosophy than the humans.
Spoiler for Gundam Weapons Chart:

[Note: If the picture does not appear, use the direct link below]

http://j.imagehost.org/view/0562/chart1b

This is a Gundam Weapons Chart pic that Homeless posted, I'm not sure which book or source its from yet but it looks new considering the inclusion of the Reborns Origins and 1.5 Gundam.

It seems from this chart, the CB-001 is really a retcon and it the 1 Gundam's current model number.....and now "has always been" its model number.

Also, it stated that the 1.5 Gundam is an offshoot variant of 1 Gundam rather than a midpoint between 1 Gundam and Reborns Gundam. I guess its sort of like 0 Gundam Full Armor and Astraea Type F2, a further later upgrade and developement of the suits with later technology but was not used to develop their successors in any way.
Old 2010-04-13, 07:54   Link #1931
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

From the picture, there seems to be a new variation of Gundam Exia, or rather an improvement of Gundam Avalanche Exia in the form of a unit GN-001/hs-A01D.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 08:08   Link #1932
helois

Quote:
Originally Posted by RES-01 Perses Gundam View Post
From the picture, there seems to be a new variation of Gundam Exia, or rather an improvement of Gundam Avalanche Exia in the form of a unit GN-001/hs-A01D.
maybe is the improvement/modification of the Avalanche Exia 1/144...
helois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 09:17   Link #1933
Akuma_Blade
Last "Real Robot" Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Akuma_Blade
@Sonic SP

0 Gundam and Astraea F line is crappy, please reupload.
Akuma_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 09:31   Link #1934
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Wait..

According to the new information, the GN Cannon has the model number "CBY-0077".

Queries:

1. Why the extra zero? Is this a retcon?

2. Unlike 1 Gundam, it retains its "CBY" designation. Why and does it make much of a difference?
Old 2010-04-13, 13:43   Link #1935
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
We were shown additional leg-mounted equipment for the Avalanche Exia earlier. This designation is likely for it, similar to how the Seven Sword equipment + the GN-Sword II Blaster gave the 00 Gundam its own GNHW designation.
Old 2010-04-13, 16:06   Link #1936
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Wait..

According to the new information, the GN Cannon has the model number "CBY-0077".

Queries:

2. Unlike 1 Gundam, it retains its "CBY" designation. Why and does it make much of a difference?
Why does Sunrise retcon anything?

Who the hell knows.
Old 2010-04-13, 19:48   Link #1937
Hellbore

Quote:
Wait..

Queries:

My personal guess is a typo. These Gundam info books are notorious for poor editting, so something like this slipping through is common.

On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
Hellbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 19:57   Link #1938
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

It's just an extra zero. I doubt it's anything but a small typo.
Old 2010-04-13, 21:30   Link #1939
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Quote:
Wait..

Queries:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbore View Post
My personal guess is a typo. These Gundam info books are notorious for poor editting, so something like this slipping through is common.
Quote:
It's just an extra zero. I doubt it's anything but a small typo.
Usually yes, but this "typo" was repeated twice. Once in the developement chart, and once more in the Reborns Origin profile.

It should also be noted that these 2 sources also happened to confirm the CB-001 retcon for 1 Gundam, and this CB-001 retcon for the normal 1 Gundam is further supported by an ad of the upcoming 1.5 Gundam kit [which is CB-001.5].

Quote:
I think it may be because they're considered different type of machines, probably a bit like how the GN Archer is a support machine.

For me, I think it may be because the GN Cannon may be deemed by the Innovator faction as "prototypish" in nature. The Y designation as I recall is usually used [someone told me in real life too] by Ptolemaos and even the AEU to usually indicate a prototype-like machine. Either that, or they just want it as a another separate non-Gundam line thats different in some way. [I mean there's already like......a possible 76+ others in there in that same line]

Plus, there is also the fact that the GN Cannon is not a Gundam like 1 Gundam is. So they may find it necessary to classify it with a much different classification. If you think about it, relative to the 1 Gundam's model number, the GN Cannon is in a much more different category. Even before the 1 Gundam's Y got retconned, it had a large digit on it.

The addition of the extra 0 seems fitting here in my opinion, as it further differentiates how the 2 as separate categories of machines. The erasure of the 1 Gundams "Y" and the addition of GN Cannons "0" digit

Compare:

Initial:
CBY-001
CBY-077

Retcon:
CB-001
CBY-0077

See the difference visually? The initial model number looks as if the machines are in the same category, like 1 Gundam is the first in a line while GN Cannon was the 77th of the same line.

But the new retcon seems to make them seem different, category wise. This is because GN Cannon no longer shares the same starter letters and has an extra 0 digit added. Its like a different category so to speak. I'm guessing that the series handlers just wants them to feel more different in category in each other than before, it also sort of fits the fact that one of them is a Gundam and one of them is not.

For the moment, all the "CB" designation seems to be only been used in Gundams, they probably wanted to include 1 Gundam and 1.5 Gundam in that mix while further differentiating with GN Cannon at the same time. [CB-0000G/C Reborns Gundam, CB-001 1 Gundam, CB-001.5 1.5 Gundam and CB-002 Raphael Gundam]

Last edited by SonicSP; 2010-04-14 at 00:14.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 09:14   Link #1940
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Thank you all for your feedback,

Another query,

Why "77" for GN Cannon?