Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-09-16, 13:52   Link #61
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Just watched it, it was great, just like a slightly longer ep of Aria. Especially with Akari's dream of being a prima in the beginning, I thought they are skipping ahead in this ova, and from the OVA's title I guess if they every show Akari's kouhai she'll probably be named Arietta.
Umm, this is a single-episode OVA, not intended to be a series. There's a third series on the works (Aria The Origination).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-16, 16:07   Link #62
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Watched it.

For most of the latter half, I kept thinking "Yuri vibes, yuril vibes!"
Hee hee, me too. Shame on us.

It was nice to see some character development for Alicia... throughout the previous seasons she's been a 2d goddess of serenity. It was a fun idea to have Akari be one of the reasons why Alicia is the best undine.

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 02:10   Link #63
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I had a disturbing image popping up in my head... Akari going:
"Alicia's retired. She's no longer here. However, on my back, in my heart, she continues to live on! Rowing a gondola to reach the heavens! Even in a grave, I can row on! If I can break through, it's my victory! Who the hell do you think I am? I'm Akari. Not my Aneki, Alicia. I am myself! Akari the Undine!"
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 20:41   Link #64
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Wow, watching this OVA kinda brought back the feelings I had when I first came across The Animation. I couldn't go watching a single episode without having a lighthearted grin on my face.
*Note to self: embarrassing remarks are prohibited.

Typical OVA, also it kinda left off from the note the Natural ended - thinking about what the future had in store. I was reminded in this one about the responsibility Aika would have to shoulder when she becomes a Prima and eventually takes over Hime-ya. I also chuckled at the thought of Alice's "near future" - if you know what I mean. It was interesting to hear "back on man-home" from Akira - I guess even those on Aqua still make the effort to visit that place, despite the alluded conditions there. But hey, home is home right? The cat was less annoying, and I didn't see a lot of his "x" that they usual have in every shot. I even burst out laughing at the "BURAAAAAA" sound he made when he was swung into the water. It was nice to see more about Alicia in this one - the insecurities she had about being a Prima, etc. Seeing her perspective on their relationship as student and teacher was neat. Just as one had doubts about it, so did the other. I guess it was even more comforting for them to learn how much they appreciated each other as well.

Animation was neat, and the CG fit in quite nicely. Details were nice and sharp, despite it having the "lol bloom" typical to the Animation and the Natural.
Music was the same all around. The OP had me going "GREAT SCOTT, THOSE ARE SOME LONELY LYRICS", and it didn't help that the shots were of Aqua bathed in the evening's orange glow ;_;. The ED was a catchy tune, as per all the ED tracks from Aria so far.

What really had me going in this was Akari (well, that's to be expected). I was all hot and bothered at the thought of her as a Prima (no glove, more love amirite?). I also lol'd at the thought of her student - what kind of person she could be, what would she have to say about her senior, etc. But what got to me the most was the entire time, Akari had this lonely look about her. I kept thinking "Can it be hugs tiem now, pls?". Sort of like seeing those expressions of hers in the PS2 game (Akari upset, lol wut). Hugs time came at the very end, so I was satisfied.

Good OVA, has me riled up about the Origination, which I guess is its intention. I guess all it has to do now to touch all possible mediums is to have a feature length movie of some sort.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 03:29   Link #65
Yakhobian
とは
*Fansubber

Did anybody watch the interview on the DVD?
Spoiler for Original script for OVA:
Old 2007-09-24, 05:51   Link #66
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

My guess: Alicia let Aria pick the candidate, and Aria chose at random...
Old 2007-09-24, 09:03   Link #67
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakhobian View Post
Did anybody watch the interview on the DVD?
Spoiler for Original script for OVA:
Probably left out so Amano could be the one to do it.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 10:11   Link #68
Anime Hate Machine

Quote:
I had a disturbing image popping up in my head... Akari going:
"Alicia's retired. She's no longer here. However, on my back, in my heart, she continues to live on! Rowing a gondola to reach the heavens! Even in a grave, I can row on! If I can break through, it's my victory! Who the hell do you think I am? I'm Akari. Not my Aneki, Alicia. I am myself! Akari the Undine!"
OAR THE IMPOSSIBLE
DREAM THE UNDINEABLE

ROW ROW ARA ARA
Anime Hate Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 04:04   Link #69
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
My guess: Alicia let Aria pick the candidate, and Aria chose at random...
Obviously not. Alicia and Aika fit together too well for chance.

It appears from what we've seen that Aika had already been approved as Alicia's apprentice before arriving on Aqua so I suspect that Aika had corresponded with Alica. I suspect that Alicia saw something in Aika's letters that touched her heart and revealed how Aika had a gift for enjoying life that was akin to Alicia and Grandma. That is the true legacy of Aria Company which Aika possesses.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 05:28   Link #70
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Obviously not. Alicia and Aika fit together too well for chance.

It appears from what we've seen that Aika had already been approved as Alicia's apprentice before arriving on Aqua so I suspect that Aika had corresponded with Alica. I suspect that Alicia saw something in Aika's letters that touched her heart and revealed how Aika had a gift for enjoying life that was akin to Alicia and Grandma. That is the true legacy of Aria Company which Aika possesses.

Aika!?

Aika

Akari

Another victim of the "A"'s curse?

J/K
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 05:37   Link #71
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Alicia: "Aika! Congratulations! You have been chosen to be my apprentice!"
Aika: "GASP!"

*An angelic melody echos throughout the Heavens of Aqua as Cherubs descend from the divinely-lit skies bearing gifts of manna*

Akira: "Haha! Gotcha! April's Fool, Aika. Actually, you'll be MY apprentice."
Aika: "Eh? Eh!? EHHHH?!?!"

*Aika in utter despair as the ground asunders with Hellish activity while Akira towers over her cackling in the illumination of reddish Hellfire. Alicia meanwhile, is still enveloped in pure white light in the background as she goes, "Ara~ ara~"*

Cheers.
Old 2007-09-28, 06:11   Link #72
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

* NoSanninWa curls up in horror and whimpers.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-10-09 at 05:11.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 05:02   Link #73
wontaek

My bet is that Akari wrote a cover letter in which she just wrote about her dream of becoming an Undine, and it must have had things Alicia really liked. I had a brief stint as assistant hiring manager and I must say, there are some exceptions where cover letter means more than the resume, and Undine position is very likely to be one of those few exceptions.
Old 2007-10-10, 09:22   Link #74
Mafty-Navue

After watching this, i have to agree to Anh Minh, the latter half got yuri vibes
Even though I rather think Akari & Alicia relationship as close senpai-kohai relationship (well, maybe more than that), but the ending part just got me thinking that their relationship is.....errr.....oh well.....
Mafty-Navue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 18:17   Link #75
Dop
Mmmm....

Oh my god...
That was just so beautiful - and kind of sad.
A beautiful bittersweet melancholy spreading through the opening title song and Akari's dream of becoming Prima but missing Alicia.
A look at when Alicia became a Prima, a bit of comedy, and an uplifting message.

I swear at times I had tears running down my cheeks from the sheer beauty of it all.

Hazukashii Serifu Kinshii!!!

Ahem. That's better. Must be the wine. Yes. That's it.

A great reminder of how I absolutely adore Aria.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 18:22   Link #76
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafty-Navue View Post
After watching this, i have to agree to Anh Minh, the latter half got yuri vibes
Even though I rather think Akari & Alicia relationship as close senpai-kohai relationship (well, maybe more than that), but the ending part just got me thinking that their relationship is.....errr.....oh well.....
Not really
Especially the last Akari monologue seem to clear any yuri vibes... if there was any before.
Old 2007-10-10, 23:30   Link #77
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

You mean the monologue where she explains she "cherishes and love" Alicia?
Old 2007-10-11, 14:35   Link #78
X10A_Freedom

Just watched this again but with a DVD-source and I have to say this was pretty great! The character design isn't as bad as I first thought and any issues I thought were present in the voice acting was all due to bad sound quality from my original source.

Beautiful...this just made my evening. As for Yuri...I don't think so. The small size of ARIA Company produces an environment where a very close relationship can develop. The way Alicia and Akari maintain the place (cleaning, cooking etc.) reminds me of a family. They like each other and respect each other highly.
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 14:53   Link #79
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
You mean the monologue where she explains she "cherishes and love" Alicia?
...and in which Akari realize that she has to part from Alicia in the future and willingly accept that. Not something that someone who is even "slightly" romantically involved can accomplish. X10A_Freedom is right, the bond between Alicia and Akari is strong, but it remind more "family" than "romantic love" (of any kind).
Old 2007-10-11, 23:14   Link #80
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

And in which she says she wants to stay together longer?

I don't see why a romantic involvement would preclude an adult-like acceptance of the reality that, eventually, people must part. Only children cling to people's skirts and throw a tantrum for them not to go.

Besides, I never said they were romantically involved now. I said there were "yuri vibes".

Tags
drama, hal, ova, science fiction, seinen, sequel, slice of life