Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-03, 21:04   Link #41
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
It was an okay chapter imho.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Old 2010-05-04, 08:09   Link #42
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

ace ate his fruit after he left luffy right? we're not gonna see it in this flashback?
Old 2010-05-04, 08:39   Link #43
lonewolf777
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
ace ate his fruit after he left luffy right? we're not gonna see it in this flashback?
Yeah, that's right. Luffy found out about it when they met up in Arabasta.

I have a feeling that when Ace was eavesdropping on Dadan and the crew talking about how the kid's the son of a world criminal, they may have actually been talking about Luffy. The timeline is the question, because it seems that Dragon just got on the radar of the WG around the time Vivi accompanied her father to the King's council thing, which would have been right around the time this chapter is taking place or possibly slightly before. If that is the case, that might, along with what happens with Luffy's kidnapping and stuff, have something to do with Ace's acceptance of Luffy.
Old 2010-05-04, 09:42   Link #44
james0246

^It's tough to say, but Roger has, generally, been labeled the "devil" in the past, so I would assume that is who Dadan is mentioning.
Old 2010-05-04, 12:52   Link #45
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Luffy isn't the secret son of Dragon. Everyone in the world government knows who he is, specially when Luffy goes around with the name Monkey D. Luffy. The government tolerated Luffy 'cause Dragon was the black sheep of the family. Garp himself is a hero of the Marines.

Ace is the secret son of Gol D Roger. The world government never knew of his existence until much later.

Garp had a plan for Luffy. He was going to shape him into the baddest ass marine in the Navy but Luffy wanted to become a pirate.

It's kind of funny, 'cause Luffy isn't a real pirate. He doesn't do pirate things. He's an errant adventurer.
Old 2010-05-04, 13:51   Link #46
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Not everyone in the World Government knows about Luffy's heritage. Garp's crew was quite clearly surprised, most of the Shichibukai didn't know, and of the Admirals it seems that only Akainu knew for certain. If it were obvious as a name, which Dragon clearly never uses since even the other Straw Hats hadn't heard it, they'd have hunted down and killed Luffy on the spot. Sengoku obviously tolerated it, but by and large the Marines didn't know about it.
Old 2010-05-04, 16:56   Link #47
lonewolf777
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^It's tough to say, but Roger has, generally, been labeled the "devil" in the past, so I would assume that is who Dadan is mentioning.
Yes, that is more likely. But I think it would be interesting if Ace related to Luffy by realizing that he's not the only one who people scorn for his lineage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Luffy isn't the secret son of Dragon. Everyone in the world government knows who he is, specially when Luffy goes around with the name Monkey D. Luffy. The government tolerated Luffy 'cause Dragon was the black sheep of the family. Garp himself is a hero of the Marines.

Ace is the secret son of Gol D Roger. The world government never knew of his existence until much later.
Well, when Garp told Luffy he said 'it's supposed to be a secret', and I think Robin mentioned that nobody even knew his name before that, so I think it was a secret.
Old 2010-05-04, 17:14   Link #48
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Wow Ace is the worse brother ever and Garp is an even worse grandfather. Wolves would've given him a better upbringing, I mean that was just evil, Ace and Garp should be sued for child abuse.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Old 2010-05-04, 17:32   Link #49
Paraden1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Bluejam? How would that be different from Bluebeard? Speaking of which, would there be a character called Bluebeard in One Piece (based from the fictional character who killed his wives)?
Bluebeard was not a pirate. This is Bluebeard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluebeard
Old 2010-05-04, 17:33   Link #50
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Well, when you have two kids who would be put to death for merely being related to criminals, you can't exactly have the best accommodations.
Old 2010-05-04, 20:17   Link #51
Wrath88
Kissing...

Yeah, if he'd brought Ace to Marineford, people would ask questions, and the secret would be out. It'd be worse if he'd brought Luffy, who'd be going around screaming 'I wanna be a pirate!'. Not the thing you want to say in the HQ of the people who are the enemies of pirates.
Old 2010-05-05, 08:19   Link #52
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

i can see how this is such an interesting chapter... 3 pages of replies lol
Old 2010-05-05, 09:41   Link #53
lonewolf777
Disabled By Request

Ha. Yeah. I think everyone's waiting for crew reunion and Fishman Island/the New World, so most people probably aren't too huffed about a flashback to Luffy and Ace's younger, much weaker and less spectacular time.
Old 2010-05-05, 10:19   Link #54
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Well, this arc is not going to be all that interesting, especially compared to the previous arcs. But nevertheless, it's a welcome bit of backstory for Luffy and Ace. I'm guessing that this backstory hasn't been done until now because it couldn't have been shown properly without knowing about things like Ace's heritage first.

Best moment: Luffy's attempt to lie.
Old 2010-05-05, 11:40   Link #55
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
i can see how this is such an interesting chapter... 3 pages of replies lol
It's actually an interesting chapter,but it's a flashback,and so far we haven't seen anything in this flashback for a big discussion,it's kind of sad also because these are the last chapters of Ace :/
Old 2010-05-05, 15:06   Link #56
marvelB

Yeah, people were so used to the almost-nonstop string of EPIC that's been going on in the series for the past couple of years that it's not really surprising that some are turned off by this flashback. Personally, I'm glad that the series is taking a breather and giving us some insight on Luffy's past, because it's something I've been interested in for a long time. Yes, I want to see the Straw-Hats reunite and go off on crazy adventures again as badly as the next person, but I'm patient enough to sit back enjoy the crazy events that take place before that time comes, as well......
Old 2010-05-05, 21:39   Link #57
Kaizokugami
Pirate God

This chapter made me laugh so much, it was just plain hilarious. I haven't laughed like this while reading One Piece for some time.

I'm glad we finally got to see who Sabo is, the name had me curious ever since Ace mentioned it in chapter 574. Right now, I'm also leaning towards Sabo dying in some manner and that it will help Luffy recover in some way.
Also taking into consideration that in the other flashbacks there was no trace of Sabo and Ace had accepted Luffy (i.e when they became brothers) further indicates Sabo either died or disappeared. And if Sabo is somehow alive he must've been injured to the point of having to give up on his dream to become a pirate or he would probably have tried to save Ace aswell as they appear(ed) to be close friends. This is all just pure speculation and thoughts on my part though, so I'm not going to jump the gun and just see what happens.

What surprised me most about this chapter was Ace's antagonism towards Luffy, and even moreso Luffy's persistence (well, that wasn't so surprising, it's Luffy after all). I figured something like that had happened but never that it was THAT bad. It was a whole new side of Ace I didn't think was there or had been there, but it gave me a good laugh.

I also think I saw a glimpse of what gave Luffy his endless appetite and bottomless stomach...Dadan. I figure that's somewhat similar to how Garp gave him his endless will to live. Or maybe he was just that way to begin with, but it was a funny thought.

While I'm not a huge fan of fillers or flashbacks, I have to say these flashbacks have really intrigued me. My body and mind couldn't keep up with the, as marvelB stated "almost-nonstop string of EPIC" and I was about to implode so this is a nice change of pace. I'm looking forward to the chapters ahead.
Old 2010-05-06, 07:23   Link #58
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

This is like a whole new dimension of one piece, I'm loving the flashback so far.

Sabo has the makings of a great future character in the series, Can't wait to see how it plays out.

Also Luffy lying, Is this the first time we've seen him lie in the series?
Old 2010-05-06, 09:58   Link #59
John D.

We have seen Luffy lie to Sanji (when he asked Luffy who had eaten all the meat during the night) and he did a very similar bad job out of it then as well...^
Old 2010-05-06, 13:25   Link #60
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 583
That was a very good chapter. Its kind of funny to see Ace chicken out when trying to kill luffy. He lets him die out in the woods, knocks him off the bridge, throws the tree down hill at him.

Hopes
I sure hope Oda will show were Ace got his Devil Fruit from. But Ace did get the fruit when he left the Island.
Closed Thread