Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-06-12, 04:13   Link #1201
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
Since the author has a new series, I guess she's going to wrap this one up?
A lot of mangaka's can have two titles on going at one time. It's nothing new.
Old 2011-06-12, 09:54   Link #1202
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Just wondering why everyone keeps referring to Fumizuki as a female? Baka-updates has him listed as male.
Old 2011-06-12, 10:32   Link #1203
oDin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Just wondering why everyone keeps referring to Fumizuki as a female? Baka-updates has him listed as male.
Ai Yori Aoshi and Umi no Misaki isn't exactly about women empowerment.
oDin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-12, 15:30   Link #1204
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
I'd actually say this chapter is actually an indication of just how far ahead Shizuku is compared to the other 2. Nagi normally shows a willingness concerning Shizuku. he's kissed her of his own accord without having to be prompted and asked by her and showed annoyance with his sneeze for ruining the mood when he seemed about ready to bestow his favor to her. Now we have karin who is trying to show herself to Nagi with him only barely noticing. and when it comes to what she wants she has to prompt him for an answer rather than him doing it on his own.

Depending on how this turns out in the next chapter, this could completely close off the karin route depending on nagi's answer. That's just a show of how difficult it will be for her when compared to Shizuku.

Now see, this is actually a very good observation from the chapter that I somehow missed. The beginning of the next chapter is going to be pretty big, then.

Like I said earlier, I like Shizuku the best out of the 3, so it really doesn't matter to me what ending they go with. But I'm hoping for good ends for Karin and Soyogi, too. They're very good characters in their own right.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 00:28   Link #1205
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

I'm kind of a Shizuku shipper, so I'm hoping she gets him in the end, as I suspect she will... For me the other two girls were so off-putting in the beginning that I feel like they have been trying to make it up to Nagi ever since, and ONLY because they found out he was the Dragon God. Whereas Shizuku was drawn to Nagi from the start in spite of her betrothal to the as yet, then not introduced DG.
Mughi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 13:35   Link #1206
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
I'm kind of a Shizuku shipper, so I'm hoping she gets him in the end, as I suspect she will... For me the other two girls were so off-putting in the beginning that I feel like they have been trying to make it up to Nagi ever since, and ONLY because they found out he was the Dragon God. Whereas Shizuku was drawn to Nagi from the start in spite of her betrothal to the as yet, then not introduced DG.
I think Karin kind of had a thing for him in the beginning. Not flat out love, but she was def. acting tsundere-ish IMO.

I agree about Soyogi.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 13:41   Link #1207
moonst789

moonst789

yess Ok Thank Fro you SoMuch!

Last edited by moonst789; 2011-06-14 at 12:47.
moonst789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 16:18   Link #1208
User68604
Disabled By Request

typical shonen harem ending with first girl the lead sees. was hoping for something different

i preferred karin during her tsundere phase too...
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 16:40   Link #1209
Direwolf18

Yea, I am convinced its gonna go first come first served route at this point, and not the harem route. It could only have ever been Shizuku or harem route. Not saying she was my first choice, but having anything like an honest expectation of it going any other way, is kinda like going to see the Titanic, and expecting the boat to make it to NY.
Direwolf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 19:47   Link #1210
cedec0

Umi no Misaki seems headed towards the "first girl"-lose scenario

"99.9999999% of manga romance endings say otherwise. It's always the first girl met with the protagonist that gets chosen, despite even if the other girls are a better fit for the protagonist. But hey maybe this manga will that 1% that doesn't have the first girl chosen...."

"So its either the main heroine or the harem ending. Karin and Soyogi have snowball in hell chance to finish as a sole winners really."

Logic is flawed (I can think of at least two series where the "first girl" (main heroin) loses, To-Love-Ru and True Tears, so the 99.9999999% statistic is wrong anyway).

Besides the "first girl" and harem endings, there is a valid (though rare) third type of ending to harem romances, one where the "first girl" loses. Umi no Misaki seems to be heading for this rare type of ending.

Things needed for the "first girl" to lose (like in To-Love-Ru or True Tears):

1) The "first girl" gains/experiences something over the course of the romance that compensates for losing in the end. (Shizuku (and Soyogi) have already been changed in a good way: more open, etc)

2) The love of one of the other girls is appearantly stronger. (Karin in Umi no Misaki)

3) Many hints that male lead likes that same girl more than the other two. (he buys a present for Karen, he initiates the kiss with Karen, he chooses Karen first, etc...)

Umi no Misaki meets all the criteria for a "first girl"-lose scenario, so at this point Karen can be considered the propable winner. Shizuku ending is still possible. harem ending is a longshot. Soyogi ending is extremely unlikely.

See here that Noe was the "first girl" in True Tears (who loses in the end):
http://www.watchcartoononline.com/tr...english-subbed
cedec0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 20:05   Link #1211
GrrDraxin

Send a message via Yahoo to GrrDraxin
Lets not forget Ichigo 100% by all means Aya could have won because she was the first girl, but Nishino got they guy instead.
Old 2011-06-13, 20:53   Link #1212
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedec0 View Post
Things needed for the "first girl" to lose (like in To-Love-Ru or True Tears):
Tu-Love-Ru isn't a "first girl lose". It a true blooded harem end. not to mention that it is still ongoing with Tu-Love-Ru darkness.

Quote:
2) The love of one of the other girls is appearantly stronger. (Karin in Umi no Misaki)
2) i wouldn't say Karin's is stronger. She always just comes on stronger because she always feels that she is being left behind. Shizuku has also shown to have very strong feeling for nagi that are equally or even more so than karin.

Quote:
3) Many hints that male lead likes that same girl more than the other two. (he buys a present for Karen, he initiates the kiss with Karen, he chooses Karen first, etc...)
3) Karin basically has to ask him for everything though, he never initiated it on his own. She has to asked for a kiss and he just obliged to her request. Not to mention that even on a date with karin he ends up thinking about Shizuku just because something similar happened before. It's never said how she came to get to go out with him first. However it's probably more from drawing lots. They tied to make him choose but we never actually see him choose who to go with first. Or for all we know he could've chosen her first to end things now that he is aware of his feelings for Shizuku.

However he kissed Shizuku without being asked. He himself thought about how he loved Shizuku (Karin and Soyogi didn't even come to mind when he thought about his feelings). without the poorly times sneeze ruining the mood he likely would've bestowed his favor on Shizuku without her having to ask or even mention it. he even shows annoyance that his sneeze ruined the mood.

no matter how you look at it he loves Shizuku (and it's stated) and while he cares deeply for the others that doesn't change that fact. Shizuku is the only girl he really does anything to without being asked. karin had to constantly ask for what she wants, soyogi just tries to take what she wants, Shizuku just has it happen withou trying.

So no, it's not heading into a first girls loses situation but is more on the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

Last edited by cyberdemon; 2011-06-13 at 21:31.
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 21:13   Link #1213
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
typical shonen harem ending with first girl the lead sees. was hoping for something different
Huh? This entire series is different. The premise of having girls equally placed for being the end girl but at the same time having a possible harem ending, awesome. Add that to the awesome character development and change, you have an awesome series. Not to mention the potential drama that's to come.

And we could have a 'True Ending' style where Shizuku is the chosen girl, but we get a bittersweet ending because of the islands customs.
Old 2011-06-13, 22:57   Link #1214
Direwolf18

To luve ru aint over yet. And that is definitely going harem ending. I will admit I am not familiar with true tears.

That being said, I am not saying Umi no Misaki has not done a FANTASTIC job of building up the other girls. It has, normally only the main girl gets even close to as much exposure as Soyogi and Karin do.That being said, the odds are stacked against them to such an extent I would bet against them any day of the week, regardless of the fact that personally I LOVE Karin and would prefer her end. Any girl that is my favorite is an automatic loser, end of discussion, I have a sort of curse at picking girls.
Direwolf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-14, 23:21   Link #1215
crossguy
Confused. As usual.

Whoh! I'm too green to have read enough of other mangas. I'm aware of tropes in ALL forms of storytelling, but this is a great discussion of other possible endings. Are there any other mangas/animes where the first girl is not THE girl? To-Love-Ru, aside? Other Harem endings?There's a series of skillfully written undercurrents in this tale that propel it past every other Manga/Visual Novel I have ever read. I can only go where the Author leads, and his leading is NOT to be predicted.(at least not by me!)
The story sails skyward when Nagi dons his DG hat/robe. I have yet to see it all.
crossguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-17, 22:44   Link #1216
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Well, I don't know if I'm reading the manga differently from some of you, but I don't see this going any way but a Shizuku ending (at least IN Nagi's HEART). I've noticed many scenes of tenderness and unstated (and some stated) feelings going between Nagi and Shizuku, but the other two girls are just in it for the running of it all. There is an underlying spark between Shizuku and Nagi that reminds me of Ai Yori Aoshi... more of a gut feeling than something explainable and overt. Fumizuki seems good at this device. This doesn't mean that some sort of "Island Tradition" isn't going to sabotage the whole love affair from a practical standpoint at the end and finish in a zero sum game, but at it's lowest level, the connection was made in the first two chapters.
Mughi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 21:56   Link #1217
crossguy
Confused. As usual.

Mughi:
I've said the same thing several times-the first girl is the girl. You just said it better.
This Is the charm of this tale, that not enough is revealed for an overt/tangible reason for that outcome. It's just simmering at the surface, revealing glimpses of a possibility. Always hope is glimpsed from far away. Sweet but not cloying. Tart but not sour. Makes you want more.
crossguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 17:44   Link #1218
Khalil

Argh! Damn cliffhangers! I can barely stand waiting for ch. 84 now.
Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 18:26   Link #1219
MAX_COLA_POWER!

*crosses fingers* Favor to all 3 Favor to all 3 Favor to all 3 Favor to all 3 Favor to all 3>.<. Man if they make another Drama CD of these latest chapters, they're gonna be steamy ones^^;;. GO KARIN GO! PLEASE NO C***BLOCKS NEXT CHAPTER!>.<
MAX_COLA_POWER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 18:56   Link #1220
Johnny
Working the bags...

Reminded me of the cliffhangers Good Ending likes to use...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecchi, harem, romance, rural, seinen