AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 09
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 113 61.08%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 44 23.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 13 7.03%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 3.78%
6 out of 10 : Average... 4 2.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.54%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.08%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-02, 21:57   Link #381
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'm sure a lot of credit goes straight to Klein. While he might look silly he definitely has a good head on his shoulders. Has a guild of a manageable size full of people he trusts and who trust him in return.
Friends are one the best party members out there.

All for one and one for all, Hurra!!!!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 22:03   Link #382
Karakuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post

Klein is actually someone who amuses me, he had a bit of help at the beginning, and he was ok with only that. He didn't care if he couldn't be helped anymore, he was just glad he met him, had him as a friend, and also thought about Kirito's situation.
Not many people would react the same way when they're at the beginning of a Death game.
One of my favorite characters in the anime world.
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 22:03   Link #383
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Really, when you look at it, Klein is essentially Overshadowed By Awesome. He went from a noob who couldn't defeat the weakest enemy to a leader of one of the top guilds, and he has damn big brass ones. He's a decent guy, a true friend... In any other story, Klein would be a main character - hell, even the hero.

The problem is that his friends are the Black Swordsman Kirito and Asuna the Lightning Flash. :P

Also, regards to something Shinji103 was complaining about people not attacking all together at once (which is exactly what the army did, and look where it got them), I'll quote the Light Novels:
Spoiler for Kirito Monologue in Light Novel, not conveyed in anime:

As you can see, SAO is built around the idea of taking turns to attack. It's essentially similar in some respects to a turn based RPG, only the turns are happening in real time.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 22:18   Link #384
n120cky

Very good episode, I have same question as Asuna regarding why kirito ordered the dark repulser, but it's gone away with the assumption it's for backup sword.
This episode also make it clear the importance of Lizbeth episode instead of just for broke her hearth.

While Asuna is a Vice Commander, it's makes me surprised that she can become so fragile.
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 22:21   Link #385
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n120cky View Post
This episode also make it clear the importance of Lizbeth episode instead of just for broke her hearth.
The strength of a sword is judged not by the swordsman who uses it, but the blacksmith who made it....
Old 2012-09-02, 22:33   Link #386
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumir View Post
Interesting outlook on things. But some of Asuna's actions have me questioning her character. Granted we are in a game instant messaging someone is available, so it should have been as simple as sending a message or meeting in person for asuna to let her guild know where and what she wanted to do. Hiding behind Kirito when her supposed body guard was seemingly out of line and then all of a sudden relieving that same guard of his duties later is... well ya it should have happened right away if she felt he was out of line. Sometime being loyal to your guild is knowing when you need to step out or take a temporary leave ect.

As for recruiting kirito, if we are 2 years in why is it just now time to try and recruit him. Surely they must have tried in the past, he is a well known soloer, and constantly helping out at the front lines. I guess its for the sake of the plot of the story ect, but the execution of things seems off to me.
This got hashed out quite thoroughly a few episodes ago, no?

Sending your boss an email that you're taking a few weeks off without talking to him in person likely means you won't have a job when you return afterwards... it's just not good etiquette. And do we know they have instant messaging? I'd assume there's something, but we don't know how powerful / fast it is.

So you'd meet in person, but if you tell the guild leader that this amazing guy with a totally unique skill who just solo'ed a floor boss (yah, everyone else is staying it, why not) and expecting the guild leader NOT to want to meet him? right.... Even worse, assuming said guild leader doesn't know who you're vacationing with...

On the bodyguard topic.... It's blatantly obvious that the body guard was not her choice, nor did she request it, he was assigned to guard her (maybe even to stalk her at night?) by the guild leader... Asuna just doesn't know, and considering how worried she's been about the guild politics for the past few episodes it makes sense that she wouldn't want to make waves.

And she can't exactly step on her guild leader's authority and dismiss the guy, ya know? Once he did something obviously wrong it was acceptable, but not simply because he's being creepy. Politics, remember?

The person who runs the boss strategy meetings wants to take two weeks off, so the entire clearing operation grinds to a stop, because who runs things with Asuna away? Someone did the math, and apparently they clear a floor every 9-10 days now... so if she's gone for any real duration that's time lost on clearing, which effects every single person trapped in-game.

On the guild invite thing? I'd imagine after every single successful floor boss fight someone would invite Kirito to join a powerful guild, and he'd turn away and tell them he's solo. Why on earth would you assume this was his first ever guild invite?
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 22:36   Link #387
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Interesting outlook on things. But some of Asuna's actions have me questioning her character. Granted we are in a game instant messaging someone is available, so it should have been as simple as sending a message or meeting in person for asuna to let her guild know where and what she wanted to do. Hiding behind Kirito when her supposed body guard was seemingly out of line and then all of a sudden relieving that same guard of his duties later is... well ya it should have happened right away if she felt he was out of line. Sometime being loyal to your guild is knowing when you need to step out or take a temporary leave ect.
Well, as for the "hiding behind Kirito" thing -- again, consider the circumstance. I think her plan all along was to grab Kirito and run to the dungeon where the bodyguard probably couldn't follow. But due to "circumstances", she got delayed. I think it was just a reaction, granted childish (but again, her being childish was the point there). I think, rather than ordering Kuradeel to stand down (which could have political implications), she was hoping that he would agree to stand down voluntarily realizing that she was in good hands. When that didn't happen, she used her authority. (Plus, also, it should be said that she seemed to find Kuradeel more than a little creepy...)

And again, if this were just about Asuna taking a break, I think they would have been a bit troubled (they did say things are tough for them right now -- they're stretched to their limits), but I think they just want to get Kirito sucked in. I don't think it's until now (that you have a boss room with an unexpected and unpredictable trap) that he would really see the benefit in joining a party, yet alone a guild. Heathcliff is taking advantage of the fact he knows Kirito wants to party with Asuna now. So basically, Kirito is being manipulated.

Edit: Too slow again

Edit 2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
And do we know they have instant messaging? I'd assume there's something, but we don't know how powerful / fast it is.
Well, near the end of Episode 7, Asuna told Liz that her "messages didn't reach her". So it implies that there is some sort of messaging system (at least for people on someone's Friends List), but it doesn't appear to always work (there are times when people are in zones that are unreachable).
Old 2012-09-02, 22:38   Link #388
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post

To people who aren't MMO gamers, yes, it was clever. Notice that only one person speculated last week that he was going to dual wield - everyone else, light novel readers aside, suspected that Dark Repulser was to serve as a backup if Elucidator got broken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
Nothing else makes sense? You do know swords can break, right? It was even shown when Kirito fought Kuradeel.
His sword could break and he thought of that and decided to create one just to make sure.
He could've also done it because his sword couldn't be upgraded, and a new one could be able to upgrade, many options man...
It did give away, I knew it right at the beginning, but still you can't say it's 100% certain there would be dual wielding expectation in there.
Edit: And yeah, some people do not play MMO's it would be harder for them to guess...I do play MMO's tho, and I still found it clever...But I am someone who is amazed easily, so meh, maybe it's only me.
Durability would be a logical assumption, but it would be pointless to make an episode about. We already know from earlier episodes that Kirito carries around multiple swords to avoid breaking. Dark Repulser on the otherhand is the only weapon Kirito had on him besides Elucidator to get so much focus especially in terms of stats. It was pretty clear in ep 7 he was hinting to do something with it besides being a replacement.

I do agree the most non MMO people wouldn't catch to easily.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2012-09-02 at 22:51.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 22:43   Link #389
Karakuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Durability would be a logical assumption, but it would be pointless to make an episode about. We already know from earlier episodes that Kirito carries around multiple swords to avoid breaking. Dark Repulser on the otherhand is the only weapon had Kirito on him besides Elucidator to get so much focus especially in terms of stats. It was pretty clear in ep 7 he was hinting to do something with it besides being a replacement.

I do agree the most non MMO people wouldn't catch to easily.
What you said is true, but we do not know if those swords were actually good.
He could've just tried to create a new one because the AI is being way more unpredictable than ever in these new floors, and he could try to avoid being in a lot of danger by making one which is close to his main weapon? Just in case?
Well, either way, it's the past.
I do agree with what you said tho.
Old 2012-09-02, 22:50   Link #390
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Just awesome dual swords 50 hit combo and what ever that flash thing was
It wasn't really 50 hits, that was just the newspaper exaggerating. Kirito commented on it. In the novel it's supposedly 16 hits, but I wasn't counting.

Quote:
As for recruiting kirito, if we are 2 years in why is it just now time to try and recruit him. Surely they must have tried in the past, he is a well known soloer, and constantly helping out at the front lines. I guess its for the sake of the plot of the story ect, but the execution of things seems off to me.
Because now he's the famous dual wielder with a unique skill. Isn't that obvious? He's simply more valuable now than he was as just another random high level player.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 22:53   Link #391
Karakuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Because now he's the famous dual wielder with a unique skill. Isn't that obvious? He's simply more valuable now than he was as just another random high level player.
Not to mention this is the perfect time, he wants to be with Asuna, Heathcliff knows that, and wants to use it so they can get stronger - Before this Heathcliff didn't get such a good time to create this scene, atleast in my opinion.
Heathcliff probably had his eyes on Kirito, he was just waiting for the right moment.
Old 2012-09-02, 22:57   Link #392
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Edit 2:
Well, near the end of Episode 7, Asuna told Liz that her "messages didn't reach her". So it implies that there is some sort of messaging system (at least for people on someone's Friends List), but it doesn't appear to always work (there are times when people are in zones that are unreachable).
We've seen the messaging system at work--remember when Sachi ran off, Kirito got a message from the guild leader about it?
Old 2012-09-02, 22:59   Link #393
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
What you said is true, but we do not know if those swords were actually good.
He could've just tried to create a new one because the AI is being way more unpredictable than ever in these new floors, and he could try to avoid being in a lot of danger by making one which is close to his main weapon? Just in case?
Well, either way, it's the past.
I do agree with what you said tho.
Well, I don't see how an extra sword would help much against a fairly random A.I. He would be better off running if that was the case, heh.

Quote:
It wasn't really 50 hits, that was just the newspaper exaggerating. Kirito commented on it. In the novel it's supposedly 16 hits, but I wasn't counting.
The newspaper also said an entire squad of the Army was destroyed when only to people died. Clearly we should take what the tabloid says with a grain of salt.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 23:00   Link #394
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post

Agreed. I'd much rather be in a Guild of friends, even if we aren't the top dogs.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 23:03   Link #395
Karakuri

Quote:
Well, I don't see how an extra sword would help much against a fairly random A.I. He would be better running off that was the case, heh
Well, it could happen this: The mobs block him from moving because they're in his front, or he had been trapped somehow, there are sometimes where you just can't run away...but meh, it's ok I guess.
Well, what do you think about what I said before? Who would you like to win? Kirito or Heathcliff?
Old 2012-09-02, 23:04   Link #396
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
In the novel it's supposedly 16 hits, but I wasn't counting.
Star Burst Stream is a 16 hit combo skill... he tried to complete two combos in this episode.... I guess.... He didn't finished the second combo...
Old 2012-09-02, 23:04   Link #397
n120cky

Quote:
Well, I don't see how an extra sword would help much against a fairly random A.I. He would be better running off that was the case, heh.
That's exactly it Kirito goes into gamble here, the very low health point prove it, what doesn't makse sense is why didn't they (kirito, asuna, and klein) just distract the boss and klein'as guild member save the army, they can comeback later with more man power.
Old 2012-09-02, 23:07   Link #398
Karakuri

Quote:
That's exactly it Kirito goes into gamble here, the very low health point prove it, what doesn't makse sense is why didn't they (kirito, asuna, and klein) just distract the boss and klein'as guild member save the army, they can comeback later with more man power.
Well, I guess it could happen this: When they are trying to run away, the Boss attacks them from behind, and they are unable to move due to the impact, and could be killed...You can see the Boss does impressive damage.
I am also thinking the same way as you, they could comeback, but I guess this could happen...
Edit: I'm saying they could die because they would probably take damage before running away, since they'd have to take the aggro on themselves.
Old 2012-09-02, 23:15   Link #399
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, as Karakuri alluded to above in the edit, it looks to me that Kirito was basically trying to keep aggro to prevent the boss from using his breath or a giant sword swing from taking out a bunch of nearly-dead Army guys at once. And because the boss was huge and the room was tiny (and the Army was on the opposite side of the door for some reason...), getting past the boss to carry out the Army members may have been too risky. I also don't think either Klein or Asuna really intended for Kirito to keep the aggro by himself for so long either, but it just worked out that way.
Old 2012-09-02, 23:15   Link #400
n120cky

Quote:
Well, I guess it could happen this: When they are trying to run away, the Boss attacks them from behind, and they are unable to move due to the impact, and could be killed...You can see the Boss does impressive damage.
I am also thinking the same way as you, they could comeback, but I guess this could happen...
Edit: I'm saying they could die because they would probably take damage before running away, since they'd have to take the aggro on themselves.
Well Klein maybe out of question, but Kirito and Asuna (especially) has a good Agility, they won't be to hard fleeing from the boss.

It's just at the distance of the room boss door right?

Edit : Kelin's guild member already reach the army before Kirito use Dual-wielding. so that's mean if 1 Kirito is enough to distract the boss, with the help of Asuna and Klein it's maybe works too.