AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-04-08, 22:26   Link #61
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

"Dorky" is absolutely true for Yamada. it fits her to a T. The thing is, everyone being so different from their projected (and self) image is 100% middle school, and very much at the heart of Norio's writing.

Whenever the moment hits hard and he's forced to react, Ichi always does what he did with Hara and the names. That's his instinct. I don't actually think most of the students were that bothered about it, it was more Adachi seeing it as a chance to do a mating dance for Yamada (don't worry, there's more to him too).
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-09, 09:45   Link #62
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Honestly I thought it was surprising that everyone was so heated. Figured it was pretty normal to put the name of the person playing the ghost on the grave. But I guess people can be sensitive about things like that.

Credit to Hara for clearing things up quickly. Much as Ichikawa could try his best to...deal with that situation, he really was just not getting anywhere on his own. Some help was good.

I do kind of like that while that extrovert was a bit more than Yamada could handle, that he's not simply a bad guy. Be easy to make him that basic. But he did actually lead the charge to recover Ichikawa's bike.

But hey everything worked out great. Ichikawa got a selfie pic with that adorable goofball Yamada.
Japan has a lot of superstitions and etiquette choices based on implications of death or wishing someone dead. It probably would be seen as extremely ominous, even when playing a ghost, to have one's name on a tombstone, and thus cruel to do so. If it'd been suggested and agreed upon would be different of course.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-09, 09:52   Link #63
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

I was a bit worried how the side characters would work in the anime but so far its been great. Still getting used to "kuzu onna" though.

BTW Yamada is the Japanese surname equivalent of like... "Smith" or "Jones" in English. Stupidly common.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-09, 12:33   Link #64
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I was a bit worried how the side characters would work in the anime but so far its been great. Still getting used to "kuzu onna" though.

BTW Yamada is the Japanese surname equivalent of like... "Smith" or "Jones" in English. Stupidly common.
And heavily in use on Saturday's .
Old 2023-04-09, 18:59   Link #65
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Surprisingly not in the top 10, though hardly rare (Satou and Suzuki are #1-2).

Ichikawa is 96th, BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
And heavily in use on Saturday's .

Damn, you're right - thee Saturday shows have a Yamada MC this season. A dorky beauty, a tsundere bishie, and a neurotic executioner.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2023-04-09 at 19:41.
Old 2023-04-15, 17:12   Link #66
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Ishikawa has finally realized that he likes Yamada, so I guess the whole murder fantasy is over now. At least I hope so since it's not really funny or interesting.

The episode showed a whole new side of Yamada. At first I felt like her mother was strict with her and lived their dream through their kid but it didn't sound like she blamed her or anything. Yamada just has a really strong sense of responsibility and may have some confidence issues. It wouldn't surprise me if she believes her appearance is the only good thing about herself.

Ichikawa being too shy to just hand over tissues... but why did he have this many on him?
Old 2023-04-15, 18:51   Link #67
grecefar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Ichikawa being too shy to just hand over tissues... but why did he have this many on him?
if he were to murder someone he needs to clean up.

I liked the chapter, had some cute moments. Loved it that yamada has his drawing with her and it seems it worked for her since she was looking at him in gym class.

The only thing is the pervert trio, they are getting too creepy.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-15, 19:36   Link #68
Wandering Soul

Ishikawa has come to terms with his feeling and fairly early too. I can already think of a few ways his behavior towards her will change.
Old 2023-04-15, 20:00   Link #69
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Here's a translation of the OP lyrics (since the official translator didn't bother) that I think is pretty insightful about Ichi.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bokunokokor...e_bokuyaba_op/

And yes, it is Ichikawa, btw, not Ishikawa.
Old 2023-04-15, 23:22   Link #70
Frontier

Ichikawa being classic Chuuni by coming up with the most Chuuni novel idea ever…and of course the female lead is based on Yamada, not that he’ll admit that .

Did that nurse look to anyone like an adult Takagi ?

They sure know how to make Yamada reaching into her pockets way more sexy than you’d expect. But no matter what, she’s a sweetheart! And Ichikawa is too, in his own way, and his reward is getting a smell of her Jersey !

I know horny boys will be horny boys…but come on guys. This is why none of you have girlfriends and the class beauty is getting along more with the class Chuuni! And luckily the girls are smart enough to not completely fall for it, though Yamada seems to think a comedy skit was required .

That illustration ended up being a critical hit for both Ichikawa and Yamada !

It’s great when’s girl is staring longingly at you up until she takes a basketball straight to the face. And man, Yamada was bleeding a lot! Though it was even harder watching her call her mom and tell her in tears she can’t make the photo shoot. Yamada is dealing with a lot .

Wow, it’s the third episode and Ichikawa already realized he liked Yamada! And he’s showing it the only way he knows how…awkward, earnest, hidden, but heartfelt .
Old 2023-04-15, 23:42   Link #71
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yamada is big and grown-up looking, with a well-paying job. She has to deal with the expectations people have of her based on her appearance, and her professional responsibilities. Which can be overwhelming at times, given that she's just a little kid, really.
Old 2023-04-16, 01:44   Link #72
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
For a while I forgot "murderous impulses" were a thing he was pretending to have. Though he went back to forgetting about those pretty fast .

Also my goodness, can those guys take a break from being dumb for a few minutes? I get it, kids and such. Time and place though. Also really glad I was never messed up enough to want to collect someone's bloody nose tissues.

Also damn...that was a brutal hit. It didn't seem too bad at the moment of impact, but yeah that was a lot of blood. Completely justified in freaking out and being worried. Because...a busted nose would be a serious injury for her. I'm sure she had a wide enough view to know both how that would cause trouble considering the photo shoot, but also the potential long term issues if it was the worst case scenario.

Nice that Ichikawa has understood his feelings in that moment. Empathizing with his own tears and really getting it. Of course not sure how things will move forward from here. But having that moment of realization definitely helps.
Old 2023-04-16, 08:07   Link #73
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
They sure know how to make Yamada reaching into her pockets way more sexy than you’d expect. But no matter what, she’s a sweetheart! And Ichikawa is too, in his own way, and his reward is getting a smell of her Jersey !
One thing I really liked is Ichikawa commenting it smelled like sweat. Because yes, girls don't always smell like roses.
Old 2023-04-16, 10:23   Link #74
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
One thing I really liked is Ichikawa commenting it smelled like sweat. Because yes, girls don't always smell like roses.
Yet it was still very effective for his bottom half .
Old 2023-04-16, 14:17   Link #75
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll just say that my experiences as a middle-schooler attending a Catholic school in the early 1960s were nothing at all like this. Nobody behaved the way these kids do.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-16, 18:20   Link #76
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'll just say that my experiences as a middle-schooler attending a Catholic school in the early 1960s were nothing at all like this. Nobody behaved the way these kids do.
I'd say it goes without saying times were different back then, and it was a Catholic school to boot.

The three stooges are extra perverted but in the age of the internet I don't think their portrayal is too far off. Speaking for myself I was already quite perverted back then. Buying adult magazines (softcore ones, wouldn't have been able to get away with more) and trying to peek on the girls when they were changing...
Old 2023-04-16, 19:01   Link #77
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Not to tell tales out of school (so to speak) but pretty much every named student in the first three eps gets a fair amount of characterization later in the manga, including the ecchi guys. The anime won’t get to all of it in 12 episodes (hopefully there will be more later), but the start is really mostly about setting up development later more than anything else.
Old 2023-04-16, 19:17   Link #78
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
I dunno man my Catholic middle school experience around 30 years later was anything but squeaky clean. I remember one kid knew houses where we could steal dirty magazines like Penthouse or Hustler from their mail. BokuYaba definitely feels accurate to me more or less.

I went to a co-ed magnet high school (Catholic boys' school was not appealing) but tangentially I still kind of struggle with Catholic school yuri because of how many girls were knocked up at the girls' school near me.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-17, 13:01   Link #79
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I had nuns. Probably made a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Not to tell tales out of school (so to speak) but pretty much every named student in the first three eps gets a fair amount of characterization later in the manga, including the ecchi guys. The anime won’t get to all of it in 12 episodes (hopefully there will be more later), but the start is really mostly about setting up development later more than anything else.
I'll take your word for it. I can't see any reason to keep those guys around any longer, myself.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-17, 21:21   Link #80
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Kids in my junior high did much worse. I honestly see absolutely nothing odd in this behavior. If anything they seem awfully tame.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, slice of life