AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-12-04, 01:53   Link #1
tkdtiger

Star Trek Online

What does everyone think about the star trek online game being made? Personally I think most of the science fiction online games have done very well but I think Star Trek could have alot going for it in terms of quests...ie away teams and space battles...has a lot of potential, but I have a feeling it may fall flat
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 02:09   Link #2
Samari
World's Greatest

Star Trek online? Can you fill me in?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 02:53   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Shouldn't this thread be in the Games subforum??? If I remember the early reports, its Yet Another MMO but in the ST universe ... not sure what period though. I really didn't think it would ever see the light of day.
Old 2007-12-04, 04:31   Link #4
Vanamonde

Anime has ruined my taste for gaming. Probably because I am old and have lost the fast twich.

<sigh> Can't even play that ole "Heart of the Sunrise" riff anymore on the ole Les Paul.
Vanamonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 13:00   Link #5
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Shouldn't this thread be in the Games subforum??? If I remember the early reports, its Yet Another MMO but in the ST universe ... not sure what period though. I really didn't think it would ever see the light of day.
well I thought about putting it in the gaming sup-forum, but it says anime related...
Old 2007-12-04, 16:02   Link #6
User65554
Disabled By Request

Wait, what game is this? Is there a link or someting?
User65554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 16:49   Link #7
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK-Pitt View Post
Wait, what game is this? Is there a link or someting?
it's a mmo game in the star trek universe. I'm not sure what the link is for their info page, but I think you can google it.
Old 2007-12-04, 17:27   Link #8
User65554
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtiger View Post
it's a mmo game in the star trek universe. I'm not sure what the link is for their info page, but I think you can google it.
Oh right, I'll have a look for it then.
Old 2007-12-04, 20:28   Link #9
tkdtiger

http://www.startrekonline.com/

I went ahead and found the link to the official site. It's still in the early stages, but what they do have looks visually appealing (definately past what my computer can handle at the moment)
Old 2007-12-04, 23:01   Link #10
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
Simple gist, it takes place roughly a quarter of a century after the events of Star Trek Nemesis, so that places it in the early 25th Century - most likely to allow some leeway for technological, political, and scientific development. I definately find the art fanciful, and the potential to go from cadet to graduate to commander of your own shuttlecraft to an officer onboard a capital ship thrilling. The developers say something about mixing space and ground battles together, and even some joint missions with multiple vessels. I have absolutely no idea how they're going to pull off such a complex array of multiplayer cooperation. But if they can get it down, I'm all for it.

Unfortunately, my last MMO, Final Fantasy XI, nearly ruined my college grades. I don't lie when I say MMO is addictive. If anything, it's best to stay away from it. If STO doesn't require all the camping, looting, and the bajillion hours to synth the ultimate gear or weapon, then I might give it a try. The inherent idea that only people who devote rediculous hours and sometimes sell their morality to be the best in a game deserve the best items is a major flaw in MMORPGs in my opinion. And I tried really really hard in FFXI, too, and I wasn't nearly half as good as some of the others. So I went, "F it."
Zaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 23:18   Link #11
tkdtiger

It does seem very complex and sounds interesting. Truthfully Star Trek has alot that you can work as an MMO game, but many sci-fi mmo games just don't do as well as the fantasy. So far Star Wars has done the best, but even then they had some problems and even then they still have alot of fantasy mixed in that I think it actually helped the franchise. I'm interested to see how it will turn out. I'm not sure if I'm going to play it. I'm sure someone will put something on you tube though when it comes out
Old 2007-12-05, 07:46   Link #12
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

I don't think its possible for anyone to make a Star Trek MMO that would provide an expansive/varied enough game universe with compelling and worthwhile gameplay to ever satisfy me.
Old 2007-12-05, 11:41   Link #13
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
hehe, I dunno..I would play it, but with World of Warcraft, Star Wars Galaxies (I still play for some reason...I miss CU...very sadening...) and Guild Wars...I wouldn't have tome to play...let alone pay for it. I know some guild members on SWG are going over to Star Trek for a while when it comes out though. I might stop SWG for a bit to play it as well. I mean, SWG is not as good as it was so I really see no point in playing it. CU has not been for like 3 years and it's now crappy NGE so I'm going to try it. I feel it wont be the best but it opens a whole new door for Trekys
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 12:44   Link #14
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

as much as I love the ST Universe, a MMO I would look into when it arrives but for me its gotta be Stargate Worlds I'm most looking forward to. To me Stargate>Star Trek
Old 2007-12-05, 13:12   Link #15
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
as much as I love the ST Universe, a MMO I would look into when it arrives but for me its gotta be Stargate Worlds I'm most looking forward to. To me Stargate>Star Trek
OO!! They're making a Stargate MMO???? SENDS ME A LINK!! Cause I totaly agree with you!!
Old 2007-12-05, 18:10   Link #16
tkdtiger

http://www.stargateworlds.com/

I found the link to Stargate Worlds.

and here's a link from an article a couple years ago for a possible Babylon 5 MMO game

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61713
Old 2007-12-05, 22:56   Link #17
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris
Simple gist, it takes place roughly a quarter of a century after the events of Star Trek Nemesis, so that places it in the early 25th Century - most likely to allow some leeway for technological, political, and scientific development.
You know, I've always wondered how you'd track days, months and years in science fantasy. One day, month or year on Earth is obviously not going to be the same as one day, month or year on some planet that orbits Alpha Centauri, or any other planet in the Universe for that matter.

And let's not forget all the messy time compression that occurs each time the Captain says, "Warp speed."
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 00:56   Link #18
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
The simple way science fiction does it is take a popular or massive organization (dominated largely by Humans, of course) and base their own relative sense of time as the galactic standard. Star Wars did it. Everybody had set their clocks on Republic time (according to Wookieepedia, English is considered the Galactic Basic Standard). And everyone did it for Star Trek too. All hail Earth, for Humans >
Zaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 07:34   Link #19
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
The simple way science fiction does it is take a popular or massive organization (dominated largely by Humans, of course) and base their own relative sense of time as the galactic standard. Star Wars did it. Everybody had set their clocks on Republic time (according to Wookieepedia, English is considered the Galactic Basic Standard). And everyone did it for Star Trek too. All hail Earth, for Humans >
lol, Well, on alot of Sci-Fi things English was the Galactic standerd. Now..we can't technically say for Star Trek, from my memory the never really said, we only know that most of them soke english, or they had those translator devices whcih allows them to hear what they are saying in english. Now, Star Wars, oh yea, common language was English human language. Then, either everyone, The Wookie, Zabraks, etc.., Most might not speak the common lang, but can understand it. You wont normally find someone who doesn't unless your back in KOTOR time and the guy is acualy a robot..(hint hint, except this robot new the Selkath lang..)..But getting off subject. I can't wait for this to come out
Old 2007-12-06, 19:57   Link #20
User65554
Disabled By Request

Theres also the Stardates, or whatever those seemingly random numbers are that are read out before the captains log.

Tags
playstation 4, xbox one