AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Myself; Yourself

Notices

View Poll Results: Myself; Yourself - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 23 10.41%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 13.57%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 50 22.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 48 21.72%
6 out of 10 : Average 38 17.19%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 13 5.88%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 4.98%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.45%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.90%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 2.26%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-12-28, 07:56   Link #41
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Some people have quite nicely said what i wanted to about the series already. So this will be short. The writers never truely seemed like they knew where they going nor where they wanted to go with Myself Yourself. The character dynamics WERE there and needed to be nurtured, however majority of the characters did not recieve this. The only ones they did were Nanaka, Sana, and the twins. But even then these elements were rushed or cramed into 1 episode or left for the end and the result was a rushed ending with no adequate character development for the most important characters. Its a problem when a secondary character like Hinako outshines the main cast.

Every romance/drama needs drama but this series jumped all around with it, the pacing was never good. I dont even think if the series were 24 episodes long it would have imporved more because cohesivness of a drama just was not presented right. I like to call this the shock and aww factor of anime. Similar to what happened at the end of School Days a series i despise more than anything. Wait to the last episode drop a bunch bombs and shock the audience. That is such a horrible way to do things especially if the events surrounding the drama have not been properly presented. Introducing a random new character and having a time skip where nothing really happened except for a marriage purposal (which we didnt even see) and a concert (which lasted 2 min) were presented badly as well. Several characters had no development at all such as Aoi and Asami's was very limited. The twins got no explanation about the past 10 years.

In closing i believe it started off right and would have done better to stick to the light hearted romance aspect instead of adding heavy drama at the end. For me this is not a rewatcher as i usually go back and marathon series i have finsihed. Nope not Myself Yourself it was deleted to never see my harddrives again.

Since its the holidays im feeling genrous and will it a 6.5 out 10

Last edited by Sinestra; 2007-12-28 at 09:37.
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 09:31   Link #42
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

My review

Below average. I'd have given it a sound "Average" if it wasn't for the fact that I felt seriously betrayed and insulted by the ending. I'd go so far as to say that the ending trivialized all that had gone before it. It was as if the show was saying that these characters were in a really messed up state, but their road to recovery, ie the stuff that people are interested in seeing and the stuff that shows the depth and mettle of these characters as they cope with serious conflicts (the stuff that we call "drama" in other shows) isn't important enough to show, so we'll just skip resolution and go straight to the "happily ever after". It just highlights what this show was interested in trying to achieve. It didn't necessarily want to show characters growing as they cope with internal and external hardships. It just wanted to show cheap plot twists played for shock value. The other stuff apparently isn't important, even if it is the type of stuff that defines characters and makes for the most absorbing drama in other shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Wow...what an accurate depiction of real life

But I love drama ^^ (most kinds...makes a nice change).
If that's your life I don't envy you. You're living in a soap opera.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 10:11   Link #43
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
As long as it isn't Eastenders the most depressing soap opera ever
Old 2007-12-28, 10:31   Link #44
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

Well, overall I gave it an Average. It has some good points and some bad points.

Good : I was happy to see that the love interests were not all focused on one male character. It was fun to see relations between different young people rather than the classic harem setup.

Bad : As has been mentionned many time, the story was confused and did not see to go anywhere.Also Aoi's horrible voice made my ears bleed a few times.
Darklightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 11:04   Link #45
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Then never step a foot in the UK...you can't handle the truth!

(I'm ready to pack my bags whenever I get a chance ).

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 11:13   Link #46
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

As I have said before, the beginning was strong, thrusting you into mystery at the end of eps 1. You're left guessing what happened before, and you just can't wait until the next episode.

But halfway through it seemed like it was falling through. I still felt that Asami was conveniently taken out. As much as I dislike her character, putting her out of commission when she played a huge obstacle in the NanakaXSana was just. And there's still that matter with that crazy old lady to be sorted out.

Ending was the absolute pits IMO. Yes, I don't really mind incest, so Shuri and Shuu is one of the couples I was rooting for during their arc (in fact, it's their arc that saved the last half IMO). And yes, I love osana-najimi couples, so I'm glad Nanaka and Shana got together. But the resolution is rushed, much? Sana reveals he commited suicide before as well and everything is ok? Don't make me laugh.

I just feel that they could've milked more of the drama, especially with Sana helping Nanaka get out of her state. Take out the 10 years after segment, and put in more of the time after Sana's confession, and I think it would've been vastly improved. So as much as I loved the ending couples, I still feel the ending just ruined the entire experience for me.

First half of the series: A
Second half: C-
Overall: B- (At the very least, it made me anticipate every episode)

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 13:01   Link #47
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well I'm bored so lets play with numbers...

Average rating = 6.47

10 % trimmed average = 6.58

Median Average = 7

Anyways....

I've decided to avoid any series that seems too soap operaish. They never turn out very good.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 13:01   Link #48
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
oh wow kudos to you, never thought I'd hear eastenders get mentioned here in a anime forum and it is depressing, very depressingly bad.

been having a little think about this series, and all I can think about is Nanaka at the end. She was just think that will be the only lasting thought about this series, oh and Aoi-chwan how can I forget about my lovely Aoi-chwan!!
Old 2007-12-28, 16:56   Link #49
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

What can i say about this series ... it started out as somewhat generic, but it had all the ingredients needed to make for a fine meal. It really did. Too bad the cook never seemed to know what is it he actually wants to bake, nor how to go about it.

The worst thing about the show seems to be the timing of events and the fact it never seemed to really know what to do with the characters. It seems the writers had set a goal to reach and that was their main concern - to get to the goal somehow, instead of the road it takes to get there. We all knew that Sana and Nanaka were supposed to be "the" main leads of the show, both plot and romance wise ... unfortunately they fare horribly on both aspects.

We get various hints and implications about Sana's past and there having to be some hidden reasons for him having to leave his old town and returning here ... yet in the end all we get is a revelation not spanning even two minutes with little to no significance. It seems his "dark past" was only there as a plot device for writers to throw out the moment they needed to make Nanaka see things his way ... what is even more insulting is the fact we don't even get to see how Nanaka handles the revelation. This plot detail being hinted through the show finally gets revealed in a speedy fashion and then what ... welcome to 10 years later! The plot device has served its immediate purpose, so lets discard the most meaningful part of the revelation - reaction and effect it has on Nanaka. Because showing a 10 year timeskip with only value as a cameo for characters is obviously more important. The show pretended the issue was solved by giving us the timeskip, while in fact it avoided solving the issue altogether. Something intended to give the show some shock value, but never having intended to have an actual resolution for the situation.

At least Nanka's past was introduced more gradually with actual sense of purpose, though it also suffers from the no resolution part. The resolve Nanaka attains from her exchange with Sana; her coming to terms with her past, finding new resolve in her relationship with Sana - all the meaningful stuff never gets show and we have the illusion of a resolution that is the timeskip.

But never mind mishandling their pasts and how to go about it - it isn't anywhere near as bad as the supposed romance between Sana and Nanaka itself. I seriously can't remember last time i saw a relationship that was as forced as this one. It really seemed they only got together because writers had said they have to; the characters are used to develop the situation, instead of letting the circumstances develop the characters. The phases of their "relationship" they go through are not convincing, and the way they acted in episode 12 felt nothing short of forced. The writers sure didn't mind using Nanaka as a very convenient character that acts in a way the plot requires of her at the moment.

It is kinda sad when the supposed main pairing of the series has easily the worst dynamics and chemistry of all the available ones.

It is more sad when you realize that Hinako, merely a side character that goes MIA after her arc, is probably the start that shines the brightest in this series. Watching her was fun, her character remained consistent and she actually shared a chemistry with Sana that Nanaka should be jealous of. Age issues aside, she easily had a better buildup for a romance with Sana than Nanaka. I am not asking for a Hinako x Sana mind you, i am merely saying that it would make more sense and would feel more natural than the forced one between Nanaka and Sana.

Shuu and Shuri - Hinako aside, this sibling pair is the saving grace of this series. They actually work as a duo. Their feelings they experience, the actions they make and resolutions they attain - those are all justified and make sense. They share a deep bond that can actually be seen and felt, instead of being merely stated to be there. (Yes, i am looking at Sana x Nanaka again). It would have been nice if they had offered a glimpse of what happened with their lives after the two eloped and how they got buy without any support. But since they had intended to "disappear" i can dismiss writing them out in this case. The cameo offered by the timeskip doesn't really do them justice, but it is not as hard to swallow.

Aoi ... pretty much disappears as well when her role in the story has been fulfilled - to be someone who offers Sana some initial support upon his return. Not much to say here ... she didn't serve any real purpose in the show, aside from simply being there. At least she played her role of a moeblob fairly well without trying to be anything more, so even though she got discarded by the writers, i can still say she was successful as a character.

Asami ...was there ever a character named Asami ? All i remember is a walking plot device with a name tag attached to it, for the sole reason of serving as a trigger for other arcs, be it some jealousy on Nanaka's side or triggering the Shuu and Shuri tragedy, with a personality that adapts to meet the requirements of said triggers to boot. Also disappears from the face of earth when her usefulnes in the plot has been expired, because the writers really didn't seem to know what to do with plot revelations in this show past introducing them for shock value.

Even Yuzuki-sensei is a pretty good character that brings us some of the better events this show had to offer ... almost a shame she isn't a main character. Though considering how well the main ones fare, maybe thats is a good thing.

Overall Myself; Yourself does poorly at character management. Since the writers didn't really seem to know what to do with the characters at hand, the ones that were supposed to be the "deepest" ones suffered the most - Nanaka, Sana and Asami. Simple characters like Aoi, Hinako and Yuzuki are just fine because the events involving them are fairly simple by nature and do not require any innovating resolutions.

Overall i can't say very much positive about this show. It had its moments, but overall it fares fairly poorly. Plot twists are introduced for the sake of having ones, deep revelations are introduced for shock value but with no intentions to actually do anything with them. Add to the fact the main relationship of the series is a poorly constructed one and we get a timeskip as a substitute for a resolution and we have what we got - something i can't really call even average.

In the end nothing was concluded - the timeskip offers a tasteless aftermath that lacks any impact, because we never got to see the resolution. All the issues are still pretty much in the dark and up in the air, because we never saw anything concluded. We know it all got resolved somehow, but the show never felt the need to show us the most important part of the story - the conclusion for any of the characters. We have the "Happily ever after" the writers wanted to bring us, too bad we were forced to sleep through the final parts of the journey.

This is not the worst thing i have ever watched, not by a long shot. But it is far from being good. I can't rate it average either. Hence below average - 5.5/10 ...but since i have to round it up one way or another for the poll - 5 it is, because i can't bring myself to give it a fully earned 6.
Old 2007-12-28, 20:54   Link #50
Kilian
6:11

I gave it a solid 7. It was definitely above average and I enjoyed wacthing it but it was there was still nothing that really excited me and a few thing annoyed me. Seems like the twincest is the only distinguishing feature of the show, that's a bit weak. I think it could have been a better show, but well...
Kilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 21:54   Link #51
ironbomb

I just finished this anime a few minutes ago, literally! I watched all 13episodes today =), yep!

Gotta say, I expected more outta the tradegies because of the major imagery done and emotions shown by the characters when talking about the scar on Sana's wrist and I seriously suspected the uncle in Nanaka's case.
Plot-wise, not sure what was the exact plot for this story lol. I felt like I was reading a novel most of the time, not that it was boring just that the story didnt really go anywhere. If they would have shown the ending in the first episode and then displayed what happened to reach that ending, I felt that this story would have been more interesting. I am sure the audience already figured out what would happen at the end from the first episode.
Character design, Good. I liked the character designs except that the characters just seem a bit "small". A 10 year old is around the size of what the Aoi looked like, except for the chest size lol, referring to Hinako the 11year old. They just seem a bit small and then Yuzuki sensi is just really small for her age too, she is around the same height as the high school girls -_-;;, not saying that all teachers should be tall, since I had a few "short" teachers myself, but just felt that the character design seem petite. Other than that, I liked all the character designs

Certain things I didnt like about the anime:
1- Didnt think the story should have developed that incest pairing. That didnt bother me but I just felt that, it was inappropriate(lack of a better term).
2- Aoi, I am not sure why she was left alone at the end...what is her relationship with Sana? I dont think that was clearly stated.
3- Ending being a bit rushed. The story could have went a bit further, the 10year skip was a bit too much...

That is about all I can think of atm xD, so its a good anime overall ^^.
I would rate it 7/10, 10 being the best possible.
ironbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 21:59   Link #52
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

More depth in their pasts? Me thinks Myself; Yourself: Memories
Old 2007-12-29, 00:14   Link #53
mechamx

I gave the series a 7.5

The biggest problem was that they had too much story for 13 eps and instead of cutting out 1 or 2 arcs they tried to cover everything from the game and they never had a chance of pulling it off.

While only the writer knows for sure, the twins relationship has been a fun topic for debate. Twins run in my family and there are 4 sets in my generation. Twins are different. To say that they are close would be an understatement. At times they can almost seem like one person in two bodies. Even in adulthood they have never really seperated from each other even in marriage. They still live close by each other and are often together. The connection started before birth, and I think you have to be a twin or around them a lot to appreciate this.

Shuuri's shocked reaction to the accusations of the principal told me that there was nothing romantic going on. The scene at the end showed them wearing the bracelets while holding hands. Those have to be the most durable friendship bracelets ever. I felt that they had not worn them for some time and wore them that night for each other as they are not currently together. Their reason for sitting in the back may be as simple as not wanting to be a disruption of the concert, not shame at their relationship. If they had not been back in the 10 year interval, they certainly would have gotten a reaction when they walked up to the gang.

I do think the time skip should have been shorter than 10 years. 2-3 years would have been better. We would have seen them on the road to recovery with a long way to go, but it still would have been a happy ending.
mechamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 00:41   Link #54
Shikimori Kazuki
Angeloid Type β - Nymph

I give this a 6.

Apparently, I dont really like the fact that there is a 10 year gap. Nothing has been explained about what happen to each character, what change and what stays the same in this 10 year gap.

The ending was ok but didn't live up to my standards. Why? At first i thought this was a high school anime where the gang helps Nanaka recover her memories and setup a stage for her to play her violin. Before or after that I would think there would be a confession. However, that is not the case as we see it in the ending. But i was quite happy about Sana confesses to Nanaka but giving her a ring.

This show would definitely be very well done if it wasn't for the "useless" episodes and lack of character development. There wasn't much character development for each character, the director just doesn't know what to do with the materials he was given.

I think its better off playing the game but my language skills in japanese is not good so I guess is either up to players spoiling me or I play the game myself.

Overall, this show's title really tells us whats it is telling. Myself;Yourself, Sana x Nanaka's past and life. Hopefully, they can remake this. If not, might as well buy the game and play through all the endings, providing i know japanese >_>.

This show is not really my favorite, its just something i watch to devour time and go on.
Shikimori Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 18:45   Link #55
Snuffle
likes cute things

Was soso for me. The main reason I started this show was because it reminded me of Memories Off artwork. Same artist isn't it?. But because of that, and Hinako and Asami (sadly Asami got shafted), I will rate this 1 point higher than I would have. >> 6/10 <<

Quote:
More depth in their pasts? Me thinks Myself; Yourself: Memories
The naming reminds me of Shuffle Memories .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikimori Kazuki View Post
I think its better off playing the game but my language skills in japanese is not good so I guess is either up to players spoiling me or I play the game myself.

This show is not really my favorite, its just something i watch to devour time and go on.
As for me, I'm so annoyed at how the story was told, that I have no attraction for the game. I also watched it just to pass the time .
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 19:21   Link #56
Tiberium Wolf

I gave a 7 coz Aoi voice is annoying and since the ending was good it didn't get a lower value due the some reasons ppl in earlier posts mentioned. I wasn't expecting much for 13 eps if they were having some development with several characters even though it was insufficient.
Old 2007-12-30, 14:08   Link #57
therationalpi

The series was much too short for its own good. It was spread thin with all the major characters with stories to develop. Essentially, we got some of the build up, and a hint that there was a deep story in there somewhere with a lot of drama. We even got some tastes of drama. However, at 13 episodes with 6+ major characters to develop, it was just too much for this show to handle.

I must say, though, as an advertisement for the visual novel, it's not bad. I mean, it's plainly visible that there's a story in there, somewhere. So, it's tempting to get the game to see what there wasn't time to show in the series.

Regardless, it was enjoyable, but not a show I'd recommend.
Old 2007-12-30, 19:04   Link #58
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Quote:
Have to agree , Even at the cheerful time of Christmas they have big rows and a death.

Quote:
My review

Below average. I'd have given it a sound "Average" if it wasn't for the fact that I felt seriously betrayed and insulted by the ending. I'd go so far as to say that the ending trivialized all that had gone before it. It was as if the show was saying that these characters were in a really messed up state, but their road to recovery, ie the stuff that people are interested in seeing and the stuff that shows the depth and mettle of these characters as they cope with serious conflicts (the stuff that we call "drama" in other shows) isn't important enough to show, so we'll just skip resolution and go straight to the "happily ever after". It just highlights what this show was interested in trying to achieve. It didn't necessarily want to show characters growing as they cope with internal and external hardships. It just wanted to show cheap plot twists played for shock value. The other stuff apparently isn't important, even if it is the type of stuff that defines characters and makes for the most absorbing drama in other shows.

My thoughts entirely, It was just 12 episodes of now and the 13th episodes concluded over 10 years of there life .
I don't like a bad ending but in some respect i don't like the happy ending that much. they should of left it on a cliffhanger or something that didn't make the 12 episodes before the final and the total of over 300 minutes feel wasted.
ReizoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 19:25   Link #59
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by therationalpi View Post
The series was much too short for its own good. It was spread thin with all the major characters with stories to develop. Essentially, we got some of the build up, and a hint that there was a deep story in there somewhere with a lot of drama. We even got some tastes of drama. However, at 13 episodes with 6+ major characters to develop, it was just too much for this show to handle.

I must say, though, as an advertisement for the visual novel, it's not bad. I mean, it's plainly visible that there's a story in there, somewhere. So, it's tempting to get the game to see what there wasn't time to show in the series.

Regardless, it was enjoyable, but not a show I'd recommend.
Series length is NOT an excuse for this show. Look at ef, it has one LESS episode than M;Y, yet it accomplishes so much more with a creative flair that isn't even comparable to this show. This is a drama romance which naturally should emphasize character development and interaction. It's what the genre was intended to do.

Character Development in M;Y: Sana got 2 minutes in the final episode, Nanaka broke down in final episode...immediately skip 10 years because god forbid there be serious character resolution, Asami got a monologue then was scrapped as a plot device pretending to be a character, Shuu and Shuri ended in twincest

My point is, despite it's rushed presentation and clumsy foreshadowing, the show doesn't go anywhere. Where are you rushing to and what are you foreshadowing??? The two biggest secrets: the fire and Sana's past, have almost no consequences. Everything was riding on Nanaka's reaction to those two events unfolding and we got a timeskip. The main NanakaxSana interactions could have been done in one episode with competent writers without cutting anything out. Length of series is not to blame here.
Old 2007-12-30, 19:59   Link #60
ironbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Series length is NOT an excuse for this show. Look at ef, it has one LESS episode than M;Y, yet it accomplishes so much more with a creative flair that isn't even comparable to this show. This is a drama romance which naturally should emphasize character development and interaction. It's what the genre was intended to do.

Character Development in M;Y: Sana got 2 minutes in the final episode, Nanaka broke down in final episode...immediately skip 10 years because god forbid there be serious character resolution, Asami got a monologue then was scrapped as a plot device pretending to be a character, Shuu and Shuri ended in twincest

My point is, despite it's rushed presentation and clumsy foreshadowing, the show doesn't go anywhere. Where are you rushing to and what are you foreshadowing??? The two biggest secrets: the fire and Sana's past, have almost no consequences. Everything was riding on Nanaka's reaction to those two events unfolding and we got a timeskip. The main NanakaxSana interactions could have been done in one episode with competent writers without cutting anything out. Length of series is not to blame here.
As much as I would like to disagree, I just cant...its true. The length of the series shouldnt be used as an excuse/reason for the shortcomings of this anime though I wouldnt compare it to any other anime since that is just wrong, the events arent similar nor are the situations.
ironbomb is offline   Reply With Quote